Old 09-07-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Outback Steakhouse

This past week I was on vacation, and ate out a lot more than usual.

One big surprise--a perfect ribeye at Outback Steakhouse. It was an inch
thick, aged to the perfect texture, trimmed so that it was round, if that
makes sense--in other words, none of the fatty stuff you get when you buy a
ribeye at the grocery. (But a good little border of grill-crispy fat on the
edges.) Also, I noticed no garlic salt flavor but what may have been a fresh
garlic rub. The baked potato was perfect, very hot and velvety, and the
broccoli was steamed to a fresh green color but tender, not half raw. The
hot ceramic plates they served the food on kept it hot--it was a pleasant
surprise to find the potato still hot ten minutes into the meal. The hot
wheat bread with whipped butter was nice, and the requisite "blooming onion"
appetizer was greasy and deep-fried delicious as always. Service was great,
too.

This was a surprise because the first (and last!) time I had eaten at
Outback before, the food was nothing remarkable. Entrees are the standard
$15-$24, and portions are huge so it is a great value. I brought home half
of everything to eat tonight.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 12:20 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
[...]

That IS a surprise! I feel the same way about Outback that you (once)
did. I suppose every dog has his day.

Glad you enjoyed your meal though. A nice steak & potato is always a
great thing.

Kris

Old 09-07-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , "cybercat"
wrote:

[...]

Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d

I love the Rack of Lamb.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

In article , "cybercat"
wrote:

[...]

Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked their
food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I got my
money's worth and would go more often if I could.

I also think Outback is a bit different than most other restaurant
chains (not counting fast-food joints here). I believe their
franchisees are very active in their local communities with financial
donations and personnel participation in projects like house building
(and such). At least this is what I've noticed first-hand in my area.

Sky
Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
[...]

Nice! I've never been to an Outback, so I can't say anything good or bad
about it. I'll have to Google for a menu. Do they have anything besides
steaks?

kili

Old 09-07-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

[...]

I never got excited about Outback sh. Ate there once and it was so-so, but
I did buy a box of their steak knives.

At a boomerang tournament one year we were sponsored by Fosters beer and
Outback sh. Outback set up grills on the sidelines. It was 115° F. on the
field and they cooked up the hot spiciest and saltiest beef I've ever ate.
Like they were trying to kill us off. I grabbed a handful of lettuce salad
and gobbled it down. And FOSTERS was nowhere in sight! The BUMS!!!

A friend used to cook at Outback sh and said they don't charcoal grill
their steaks, they pan grill them and then brand them with grill marks.
Cheapness. The BUMS!!!

Glad you had a good experience!

Andy
Old 09-07-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
Omelet wrote:

In article , "cybercat"
wrote:

[...]

(snip)

Sky

I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the location
closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half the cost. How
about some original signature dishes? That's what I look for in a
restaurant; something original and different. Maybe I'm just weird?

kili

Old 09-07-2007, 06:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Skyhooks wrote:

Some may not agree, but I have yet to have a bad meal at Outback.
It's generally my first choice for Birthdays. :-d

I love the Rack of Lamb.
--
Peace, Om

Same here. The few times I've gone to Outback, I've always liked their
food. It was cooked to order and very tasty. I felt like I got my
money's worth and would go more often if I could.

I also think Outback is a bit different than most other restaurant
chains (not counting fast-food joints here). I believe their
franchisees are very active in their local communities with financial
donations and personnel participation in projects like house building
(and such). At least this is what I've noticed first-hand in my area.

Sky

Last time we went, the chef came out and personally asked me some
questions before he prepared my meal. :-) I was trying to stay low carb
and while he understood that, he wanted to make sure I understood what
he planned to prepare.

It was cool.

The Rack of Lamb had also been removed from the menu due to a shortage
of availability, but turns out that a small amount was still available
for "custom" requests. They had some on hand that night.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"kilikini" wrote:

cybercat wrote:
[...]

Oh yes!

And unlike some places, they are not bitchy about menu substitutions!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message
Skyhooks wrote:
Omelet wrote:

In article , "cybercat"
wrote:

[...]

Doesn't Outback serve the "bloomin' onion"? Whole onion, carved up and deep
fried, absolutely disgusting. Or, maybe it's one of their fake-outdoor-decor
competitors.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 12:00 pm, "kilikini" wrote:

I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the location
closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half the cost. How
about some original signature dishes? That's what I look for in a
restaurant; something original and different. Maybe I'm just weird?

kili

But that's true for 99% of the restaurants in business. The food they
serve, most all of it can be made at home. Sometimes it's just nice
to eat out and let someone else do the cooking and the dishes.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Doesn't Outback serve the "bloomin' onion"? Whole onion, carved up and deep
fried, absolutely disgusting. Or, maybe it's one of their fake-outdoor-decor
competitors.

It's delicious and yes.

Chili's serves a similar item, the Awesome Blossom.

Better than onion rings!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 13:00:52 -0400, kilikini wrote:

I don't know, you guys. I just did a Google on the menu for the location
closest to me. It's nothing I can't make at home for half the cost.

I haven't seen their menu in years. It looks like I still won't
see it for another decade.

http://www.outback.com/getmenu.asp?GetMenuStoreID=4443
"Page Not Found"

-sw

Oh for pity...

Let me know when your Birthday is!

http://www.outbacksteakhouse.co.jp/en/menu/index.html
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

Skyhooks wrote:
Omelet wrote:

In article , "cybercat"
wrote:

[...]

I go out to eat more for the experience and service than for any
particular entree. I've only been to Outback a couple of times, and I'd
definitely go back. Now to win the Lotto

Sky, who's knocking on wood anywho g
Old 09-07-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 9, 10:15 am, Omelet wrote:
In article ,

"kilikini" wrote:
cybercat wrote:
[...]

My daughter is a server at the Flagstaff, AZ location. She said that
they have to try to accommodate any special requests a customer makes.
Someone in a group she served wanted a cheese omelet so the cooks made
one.