Old 26-07-2009, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Had dinner at Outback Steakhouse

We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over there
after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and I ordered
a roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. Now that I think
about it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms.

It came with mashed potatoes and broccoli. However, when it arrived,
there were the (very good) mashed potatoes and a good size portion
of haricots vert.

Holy crow, I don't know what was up with them, but they were fabulous.
I wish I finished them. Darned tasty they were.

Don't tell anyone, I gave up trying to eat them with a fork and took to
using my fingers. Hey ... if it's okay for asparagus, it's good enough
for the green beans. I'm sticking with that story, you're supposed to
eat them with your fingers.

nancy

Old 26-07-2009, 01:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:49:54 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

We haven't been there in a really long time,

Believe it or not, I've never been to one. I just noticed yesterday
there's one is located less than 10 miles from me. When did that one
pop up? I'll get to it one of these days and see what all the hooha
is about.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 26-07-2009, 01:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

We haven't been there in a really long time,

Believe it or not, I've never been to one. I just noticed yesterday
there's one is located less than 10 miles from me. When did that one
pop up? I'll get to it one of these days and see what all the hooha
is about.

I really don't know if you'll like it. They have a nice rack of lamb, if
you
like that.

Anyway, the place was hopping! People were piled up waiting for a
table. What recession? Yikes.

nancy

Old 26-07-2009, 01:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over there
after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and I ordered
a roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. Now that I think
about it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms.

Do you know whether they serve Australian beef or U.S. beef?
There's never been a case of Mad Cow Disease in Australia.
That would be a good reason to go there. I haven't had any
beef in about a year, and I'd really like some.
Old 26-07-2009, 01:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over there
after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and I ordered
a roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. Now that I think
about it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms.

It came with mashed potatoes and broccoli. However, when it arrived,
there were the (very good) mashed potatoes and a good size portion
of haricots vert.

Holy crow, I don't know what was up with them, but they were fabulous.
I wish I finished them. Darned tasty they were.

Don't tell anyone, I gave up trying to eat them with a fork and took to
using my fingers. Hey ... if it's okay for asparagus, it's good enough
for the green beans. I'm sticking with that story, you're supposed to
eat them with your fingers.

Heh, Heh! Good, yes? Fingers were invented before forks.

SWMBO and I grill various things like asparagus and fresh
green beans, on iron, and do the same. Delish.

Bout the OS. Been to our local, wasn't much. Steaks were
poor, service indifferent. More ambience than substance.

Onion was nice, but greasy. Must be a local thing....

Alex

Old 26-07-2009, 01:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:

We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over there
after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and I ordered a
roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. Now that I think about
it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms.

Roasted beef filet? Was it EYE filet? Because Peter Lucas -- that
self-appointed spokesperson for Aussie cuisine -- believes that if it isn't
eye filet it might as well be a plank of oak. And if you paid more than a
dollar fifty, he'll tell you that he could have gotten it cheaper.

It came with mashed potatoes and broccoli. However, when it arrived,
there were the (very good) mashed potatoes and a good size portion
of haricots vert.

Holy crow, I don't know what was up with them, but they were fabulous.
I wish I finished them. Darned tasty they were.

Don't tell anyone, I gave up trying to eat them with a fork and took to
using my fingers. Hey ... if it's okay for asparagus, it's good enough
for the green beans. I'm sticking with that story, you're supposed to eat
them with your fingers.

Pshaw... think nothing of it! After all, what consequences could there be?

Bob

Old 26-07-2009, 01:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 20:07:39 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I really don't know if you'll like it. They have a nice rack of lamb, if
you like that.

I love lamb!

Anyway, the place was hopping! People were piled up waiting for a
table. What recession? Yikes.

Nodding. I get that way about cars on the road and the price of
gasoline.

Old 26-07-2009, 01:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

Do you know whether they serve Australian beef or U.S. beef?

U.S.

Steve
Old 26-07-2009, 01:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
| Nancy wrote:
|
| We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over there
| after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and I ordered a
| roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. Now that I think about
| it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms.
|
| Roasted beef filet? Was it EYE filet? Because Peter Lucas -- that
| self-appointed spokesperson for Aussie cuisine -- believes that if it isn't
| eye filet it might as well be a plank of oak. And if you paid more than a
| dollar fifty, he'll tell you that he could have gotten it cheaper.

Petey is a plank of oak. Australian oak, you bet, the best in the
world and incredibly superior to the American oak, which he can
buy for pennies on the (US) dollar.

pavane

Old 26-07-2009, 01:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
Nancy Young wrote:

We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over
there after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and
I ordered a roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. Now
that I think about it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms.

Do you know whether they serve Australian beef or U.S. beef?
There's never been a case of Mad Cow Disease in Australia.
That would be a good reason to go there. I haven't had any
beef in about a year, and I'd really like some.

I'm pretty sure you're out of luck there. I don't think there's anything
that's actually Australian there.

nancy

Old 26-07-2009, 01:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over there
after attending the county fair. Shared a blooming onion and I ordered a
roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. Now that I think about
it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms.
It came with mashed potatoes and broccoli. However, when it arrived,
there were the (very good) mashed potatoes and a good size portion
of haricots vert.
Holy crow, I don't know what was up with them, but they were fabulous.
I wish I finished them. Darned tasty they were.

Don't tell anyone, I gave up trying to eat them with a fork and took to
using my fingers. Hey ... if it's okay for asparagus, it's good enough
for the green beans. I'm sticking with that story, you're supposed to eat
them with your fingers.

nancy

Wow, all so excited over string beans... just guessing that the beef sucked.

Old 26-07-2009, 01:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Don't tell anyone, I gave up trying to eat them with a fork and took
to using my fingers. Hey ... if it's okay for asparagus, it's good
enough for the green beans. I'm sticking with that story, you're
supposed to eat them with your fingers.

Heh, Heh! Good, yes? Fingers were invented before forks.

I struggled with those huge forks they give you and those skinny
beans. Fingers good!

SWMBO and I grill various things like asparagus and fresh
green beans, on iron, and do the same. Delish.

Bout the OS. Been to our local, wasn't much. Steaks were
poor, service indifferent. More ambience than substance.

Onion was nice, but greasy. Must be a local thing....

Sometimes it's better than other times, and for what it is, I like it
better than in other places that serve it. In no way is it good for
you. It's not really my thing, but I had some of it.

nancy
Old 26-07-2009, 01:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

wrote:

We haven't been there in a really long time,

Believe it or not, I've never been to one. I just noticed yesterday
there's one is located less than 10 miles from me. When did that one
pop up? I'll get to it one of these days and see what all the hooha
is about.

Outback is a con job. They brand their grill marks. Spend your money at a
real steak house like Mortons!!!

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Old 26-07-2009, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 6:49*pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:
We haven't been there in a really long time, decided to head over there
after attending the county fair. *Shared a blooming onion and I ordered
a roasted beef filet with port sauce and mushrooms. *Now that I think
about it, I don't remember seeing any mushrooms. *

It came with mashed potatoes and broccoli. *However, when it arrived,
there were the (very good) mashed potatoes and a good size portion
of haricots vert.

Holy crow, I don't know what was up with them, but they were fabulous.
I wish I finished them. *Darned tasty they were.

Don't tell anyone, I gave up trying to eat them with a fork and took to
using my fingers. *Hey ... if it's okay for asparagus, it's good enough
for the green beans. *I'm sticking with that story, you're supposed to
eat them with your fingers.

nancy * *

I had the best prime rib I think I've ever had at the Outback near
Chattanooga TN in that big gross shopping mall. Of course the fact
that a kayaking buddy of mine and I just ran the Upper Ocoee for our
first solo times may have played into it too!

John Kuthe...
Old 26-07-2009, 01:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
Nancy wrote:

Don't tell anyone, I gave up trying to eat them with a fork and took
to using my fingers. Hey ... if it's okay for asparagus, it's good
enough for the green beans. I'm sticking with that story, you're
supposed to eat them with your fingers.

Pshaw... think nothing of it! After all, what consequences could
there be?

If I was in a booth, I really wouldn't care. We sat at the bar, though,
and this woman came in and sat rightnexttome. I had a hard time
cutting my steak, then I was picking my beans off my plate with my
fingers. Sorry, lady. My manners suck tonight.

nancy