Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default personal chef

Do any of you do this? Is it possible to make a living?

I don't want the stress of a resaurant, but would like to paid for
something I like doing anyway. Catering, chef's table. This personal
thing seems like a fancy meals-on-wheels, but if could make it into a
paycheck . . . How does that work?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

> Do any of you do this? Is it possible to make a living?
>
> I don't want the stress of a resaurant, but would like to paid for
> something I like doing anyway. Catering, chef's table. This personal
> thing seems like a fancy meals-on-wheels, but if could make it into a
> paycheck . . . How does that work?

Don't know exactly, but I have some thoughts on the matter.

Right now I cook for family, friends and sometimes for the couple next
door who both have serious health issues. I enjoy it. They enjoy it.
The couple next door don't pay me anything, but they do hire my kids for
yard work and odd jobs and between that, and just taking care of
friends, and that two extra helpings of whatever doesn't amount to much,
I think it evens out.

And cooking for family and friends is a whole lot cheaper than going out
to eat.

If I were trying to do something like this professionally, I believe it
would involve insurance and health inspections. And deadlines. And
clients with an inflated sense of entitlement. And that would be enough
to take the fun out of it, and I'm not sure the money would be enough to
make up for the extra aggravation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:
> Do any of you do this? Is it possible to make a living?
>
> I don't want the stress of a resaurant, but would like to paid for
> something I like doing anyway. Catering, chef's table. This personal
> thing seems like a fancy meals-on-wheels, but if could make it into a
> paycheck . . . How does that work?

Speak to Guisi.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:

> bulka wrote:
>
>> Do any of you do this? Is it possible to make a living?
>>
>> I don't want the stress of a resaurant, but would like to paid for
>> something I like doing anyway. Catering, chef's table. This
>> personal thing seems like a fancy meals-on-wheels, but if could make
>> it into a paycheck . . . How does that work?

> Don't know exactly, but I have some thoughts on the matter.
>
> Right now I cook for family, friends and sometimes for the couple next
> door who both have serious health issues. I enjoy it. They enjoy it.
> The couple next door don't pay me anything, but they do hire my kids
> for yard work and odd jobs and between that, and just taking care of
> friends, and that two extra helpings of whatever doesn't amount to
> much, I think it evens out.
>
> And cooking for family and friends is a whole lot cheaper than going
> out to eat.

Yup...I am single but like to cook, I give a lot of the food I cook away to
friends. I'm making the stuff anyway, so...

I like the fact that they really enjoy what I make...

We have a lot of cookouts and such at our local corner bar, many of the
patrons are in the F&B biz or are simply good cooks. We have a friendly
competition going all the time, seeing who can cook the best stuff...I often
"win".

My latest idea for a "cook - off" is for potato salad, let's see who can
make the best, everyone is always crowing about their GREAT tater salad.

> If I were trying to do something like this professionally, I believe
> it would involve insurance and health inspections. And deadlines.
> And clients with an inflated sense of entitlement. And that would be
> enough to take the fun out of it, and I'm not sure the money would be
> enough to make up for the extra aggravation.

And cooking in a restaurant is *very* hard work...exhausting, in fact.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It is important to have an appreciative audience. I suppose I could
cook at a nursing home and make the vat of green stuff and the vat of
brown stuff, but what's in it for me?

I'm 50+, out of work a mile from Detroit. Looking at the community
college culinary programs. Sure, there are things I could learn,
mostly about business and portion contol and management, maybe some
cookinig stuff. Then I look at the meals I throw together at home, in
a hurry, on an off night, without a grocery run, maybe with a couple
of drinks - and then I see fat people with carts loaded with Lean
Cuisine . I don't understand how other people eat. Cooking isn't my
problem; getting into the paid game is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> bulka wrote:
>
>> Do any of you do this? Is it possible to make a living?
>>
>> I don't want the stress of a resaurant, but would like to paid for
>> something I like doing anyway. Catering, chef's table. This personal
>> thing seems like a fancy meals-on-wheels, but if could make it into a
>> paycheck . . . How does that work?

It is far from the stress of a restaurant, but I'm sure it will still be
stressful. There is an organization for personal chef so you may wan to try
finding it and talk to some that do it.

You say you like to cook but do you like to cook what you don't like to eat?
Will that still be enjoyable? If you are cooking for a family that eats
only tofu, salmon, and eggplant, and you don't like any of those ingredients
you may find it just another job and not enjoyable at all.

In many cases, you are working in their kitchen preparing meals for a week.
They have to be packed and frozen.

It is possible to take a hobby and make it into a lucrative business. It is
also possible to take a hobby and make it just another job with al the
deadlines and need to perform at all times. After a day of cooking for your
client will you still want to cook for your family? There are plenty of
good chef's that have nothing in their home fridge but frozen pizza.

Good luck if you follow the course, but do so with care and caution.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> And cooking in a restaurant is *very* hard work...exhausting, in fact.
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

One of my best jobs - midnight/breakfast cook at a Denny's kind of
place. The dead times were very dead, then the rush - different
orders of eggs on every burner, some stupid Crepes a la King, waffles
with some fruit-colored crap out of a can, hash bowns. Did I put the
sausage on the grill or in the deep fryer? Then some late/early drunk
comes in wanting a hamburger or a monte cristo. Serioiulsy, the rush
was a rush.

Management was bad. I was the only one in the kitchen all night,
then, in my egg frenzy, six strangers come in. Whatever. Tickets are
up. Grab a pan. I'm gone.

Don't know if I have the stamina now, but if the phone rang, I'd be at
the diner within the hour. For free. For the buzz.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message

| > And cooking in a restaurant is *very* hard work...exhausting, in fact.
| >
| > --
| > Best
| > Greg
|
| One of my best jobs - midnight/breakfast cook at a Denny's kind of
| place. The dead times were very dead, then the rush - different
| orders of eggs on every burner, some stupid Crepes a la King, waffles
| with some fruit-colored crap out of a can, hash bowns. Did I put the
| sausage on the grill or in the deep fryer? Then some late/early drunk
| comes in wanting a hamburger or a monte cristo. Serioiulsy, the rush
| was a rush.
|
| Management was bad. I was the only one in the kitchen all night,
| then, in my egg frenzy, six strangers come in. Whatever. Tickets are
| up. Grab a pan. I'm gone.
|
| Don't know if I have the stamina now, but if the phone rang, I'd be at
| the diner within the hour. For free. For the buzz.

You write beautifully, very vivid and descriptive. You make us feel
your boredom and your exhilaration in the frenetic activity. Thank
you for this very brief portrait of the late hour cooking...
please write much more.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 3:07*pm, Kathleen > wrote:
> bulka wrote:
> > Do any of you do this? *Is it possible to make a living?

> > I don't want the stress of a resaurant, but would like to paid for
> > something I like doing anyway. *Catering, chef's table. *This personal
> > thing seems like a fancy meals-on-wheels, but if could make it into a
> > paycheck . . . *How does that work?

> Don't know exactly, but I have some thoughts on the matter.
>
> Right now I cook for family, friends and sometimes for the couple next
> door who both have serious health issues. *I enjoy it. *They enjoy it..
> The couple next door don't pay me anything, but they do hire my kids for
> yard work and odd jobs and between that, and just taking care of
> friends, and that two extra helpings of whatever doesn't amount to much,
> I think it evens out.
>
> And cooking for family and friends is a whole lot cheaper than going out
> to eat.
>
> If I were trying to do something like this professionally, I believe it
> would involve insurance and health inspections. *And deadlines. *And
> clients with an inflated sense of entitlement. *And that would be enough
> to take the fun out of it, and I'm not sure the money would be enough to
> make up for the extra aggravation.

If you go into a person's home and cook for them, there's certainly no
license needed in this state. If you cook it in your own kitchen and
take it to them, then you get into those kind of hassles.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 11:02*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "bulka" > wrote in message

> | > And cooking in a restaurant is *very* hard work...exhausting, in fact..
> | >
> | > --
> | > Best
> | > Greg
> |
> | One of my best jobs - midnight/breakfast cook at a Denny's kind of
> | place. *The dead times were very dead, then the rush - different
> | orders of eggs on every burner, *some stupid Crepes a la King, waffles
> | with some fruit-colored crap out of a can, hash bowns. *Did I put the
> | sausage on the grill or in the deep fryer? *Then some late/early drunk
> | comes in wanting a hamburger or a monte cristo. *Serioiulsy, the rush
> | was a rush.
> |
> | Management was bad. *I was the only one in the kitchen all night,
> | then, in my egg frenzy, six strangers come in. *Whatever. *Tickets are
> | up. *Grab a pan. *I'm gone.
> |
> | Don't know if I have the stamina now, but if the phone rang, I'd be at
> | the diner within the hour. *For free. *For the buzz.
>
> You write beautifully, very vivid and descriptive. *You make us feel
> your boredom and your exhilaration in the frenetic activity. *Thank
> you for this very brief portrait of the late hour cooking...
> please write much more.

I'll second that.

> pavane

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> You write beautifully, very vivid and descriptive. You make us feel
> your boredom and your exhilaration in the frenetic activity. Thank
> you for this very brief portrait of the late hour cooking...
> please write much more.
>
> pavane

Thank you. Writing is my favorite other skill that used to have a
market. It is nice to be liked, though. Don't encourage me - I can
go on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" ha scritto nel messaggio

> It is important to have an appreciative audience.

No, it's nice to have an appreciative audience, it's important to have a
paying audience.

> I'm 50+, out of work a mile from Detroit. Looking at the community>
> college culinary programs. Sure, there are things I could learn,> mostly
> about business and portion contol and management, maybe some
> cookinig stuff.

At 50+ this is probably the only cooking that won't kill you. Ten hours on
your feet in whatever conditions with no allowance for failure is not for
the faint at heart. Add in a kitchen staff and huge stock pots and it's
beyond your physical powers already.

Food safety is first, second and third. Do it only in their kitchen. You
need a health check every so often, your state will tell you which. How
will people get to know what you do and want to hire you? How will you know
what to charge, what people will be willing to pay? What will be your
approach? Prepared meals for several days-a week for busy clients? Or top
cuisine for dinner parties? How many can you cook for?

> Then I look at the meals I throw together at home, in
> a hurry, on an off night, without a grocery run, maybe with a couple> of
> drinks - and then I see fat people with carts loaded with Lean> Cuisine .
> I don't understand how other people eat. Cooking isn't my> problem;
> getting into the paid game is.

You can decide to do the mom-food and do a lot of it, or you can decide to
do the high-end stuff and worry about how many will pay for it. Most people
are naturally adapted to one or the other. You are the person who makes
1000 at 6 bucks each or 6 at 1000 bucks each. Your clientele is vastly
different depending on which you are. It is hard to build up a clientele,
but once you do they become your best advertising.

The details go on and on-- resources you can trust, getting to and from
jobs, menus that interest clients and don't break your budget, etc. Your
best start on a client list is the professional you use-- dentist, doctor,
architect, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> You can decide to do the mom-food and do a lot of it, or you can decide to
> do the high-end stuff and worry about how many will pay for it. Most people
> are naturally adapted to one or the other. You are the person who makes
> 1000 at 6 bucks each or 6 at 1000 bucks each. Your clientele is vastly
> different depending on which you are. It is hard to build up a clientele,
> but once you do they become your best advertising.
>
> The details go on and on-- resources you can trust, getting to and from
> jobs, menus that interest clients and don't break your budget, etc. Your
> best start on a client list is the professional you use-- dentist, doctor,
> architect, etc.

For me, the first and most obvious clients would be my kids' classmates.
My daughter is in college now and my son just starting high school,
but I've packed their lunches for them since kindergarten and still do.
Their lunches are usually high nutrition, highly palatable combos that
usually include leftovers from the previous night's dinners. Steak,
salmon, chicken, quesadillas, chili, soups...

I've been approached many times over the years by kids and/or their
parents, asking if I'd be willing to prepare box lunches for pay on an
"informal" basis. I've also donated catered office lunches on a couple
of occasions, to professionals who have gone above and beyond the call
of duty for me or my family (my vet, and my dentist).

I've also thought about the fact that, if I were doing it for pay, I'd
be using my own kitchen. And that there'd be a relatively small profit
margin. And what if somebody got sick, or had an allergic reaction...

And so for me, cooking remains a hobby.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" wrote

> I'm 50+, out of work a mile from Detroit. Looking at the community
> college culinary programs. Sure, there are things I could learn,
> mostly about business and portion contol and management, maybe some
> cookinig stuff. Then I look at the meals I throw together at home, in
> a hurry, on an off night, without a grocery run, maybe with a couple
> of drinks
>
> I don't understand how other people eat.

Right there you answered your question.

Fergedaboudit... if you could've you would've, a long, long time ago.

Hmm, 50+... is that like 70-?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message

>> And cooking in a restaurant is *very* hard work...exhausting, in fact.
>>
>> --
>> Best
>> Greg

> One of my best jobs - midnight/breakfast cook at a Denny's kind of
> place. The dead times were very dead, then the rush - different
> orders of eggs on every burner, some stupid Crepes a la King, waffles
> with some fruit-colored crap out of a can, hash bowns. Did I put the
> sausage on the grill or in the deep fryer? Then some late/early drunk
> comes in wanting a hamburger or a monte cristo. Serioiulsy, the rush
> was a rush.
>
> Management was bad. I was the only one in the kitchen all night,
> then, in my egg frenzy, six strangers come in. Whatever. Tickets are
> up. Grab a pan. I'm gone.
>
> Don't know if I have the stamina now, but if the phone rang, I'd be at
> the diner within the hour. For free. For the buzz.

One of my first jobs was as a dishwasher at a Howard Johnson's and by the
time I was 16, I was a cook. "Working the grill" as they called it was like
conducting an orchestra and you were the only musician. The grill in front
of you, deep fryers and fridge/freezer right behind. Salamander up and to
the left over the gas burners and steam table, sandwich board, garnishes,
salads and other assorted cold stuff to the right.... under the clean
plates.

I always worked full shifts on Friday nights and Saturday (not school
nights). On Friday night, HoJo had their infamous "Fish Fry".... AYCE
flounder, fries and slaw for $1.29 pp. The Fryolators worked overtime those
nights.

I worked other kitchens after that and some jobs in the front of the house,
but that first job at the Howard Johnson's still brings back some great
memories.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
bulka > wrote:

> Do any of you do this? Is it possible to make a living?
>
> I don't want the stress of a resaurant, but would like to paid for
> something I like doing anyway. Catering, chef's table. This personal
> thing seems like a fancy meals-on-wheels, but if could make it into a
> paycheck . . . How does that work?

If you're *really* serious about it, check with your local health
department about what the requirements are. You might also look into a
local group of cooking professionals ‹ one might have done that and can
give you the caveats. Be sure your liability insurance is robust.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"Gregory Morrow" > posted:

> And cooking in a restaurant is *very* hard work...exhausting, in fact.

Just seeing line cooks at work makes me not want to work in a restaurant.
And having worked in a couple of restaurants, myself, I know the confusion
that can happen with orders not coming out together, or being delayed, nor
not being right. It's no wonder more of them don't come out wrong with
all the stuff that goes on in kitchens.

And the prep work. My gosh, I remember seeing one prep cook sitting down
peeling two or three cases of potatoes. If I had to do that even once a
week, I'd go mad from the repetition.

And now, many restaurants no longer prepare many of their own foods. They
order it frozen from Sysco, such as desserts, appetizers, sauces, spreads,
hamburger patties, etc.... If we had no Sysco, I imagine kitchens would
be greater disaster areas.

But while I used to enjoy places like Chili's, Applebee's, Bennigan's,
I've found that the food quality has simply turned to crap. It actually
tastes like fast food. It tastes like canned, preserved food. So now I
find that my own cooking is generally better than anything I can get at a
restaurant.

I prefer deciding what I'll be having each day, and go to the store and
get it that day out of the produce section, with some alternatives in mind
if some of the produce looks old.

Mainly I'm trying to ween my roommate off so many processed foods like
sauces out of jars, and canned soups. Sometimes I make a potato soup that
I had been using Campell's Cream of Mushroom in, but I decided to try
making my own cream of mushroom soup using some fresh white button
mushrooms sauteed in a little butter, olive oil and garlic, and added to
that some heavy cream once the shrooms are cooked a little. I put that
hot into the blender for a good whirl-around since I don't like chunks in
cream of mushroom. The taste was fantastic. Now canned cream of mushroom
is disgusting to me. Mine was a lighter color. The canned stuff just
looks dead.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> "Gregory Morrow" > posted:
>
>> And cooking in a restaurant is *very* hard work...exhausting, in fact.

> Just seeing line cooks at work makes me not want to work in a restaurant.
> And having worked in a couple of restaurants, myself, I know the confusion
> that can happen with orders not coming out together, or being delayed, nor
> not being right. It's no wonder more of them don't come out wrong with
> all the stuff that goes on in kitchens.
>
> And the prep work. My gosh, I remember seeing one prep cook sitting down
> peeling two or three cases of potatoes. If I had to do that even once a
> week, I'd go mad from the repetition.

What size cases? Restaurants don't peel many spuds anymore, haven't for
many years... they buy most spuds frozen, already prepped and par cooked.
Those that regularly peel raw spuds use automatic vegetable peelers, a
rotating drum with an abrasive lined interior that sands away the peel and
has water jets to wash the peeling debis out and away... they look somewaht
like a small portable cement mixer, the typical restuarant size would have
no problem peeling 50 lbs of spuds in like 5 minutes, the only labor being
to pour in the spuds and dump them out.... just have to remember to set the
timer that shuts off the machine or 40 minutes later there will be no spuds.
Restaurants, when they can, buy extra large nicely shapen spuds with fewer
eyes, called Chef's grade (they're like a pound and more each)d they are
fairly easy to pare manually.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
"brooklyn1" > posted:

> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
> > Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> > "Gregory Morrow" > posted:
> >
> >> And cooking in a restaurant is *very* hard work...exhausting, in fact.

> > Just seeing line cooks at work makes me not want to work in a
> > restaurant. And having worked in a couple of restaurants, myself, I
> > know the confusion that can happen with orders not coming out together,
> > or being delayed, nor not being right. It's no wonder more of them
> > don't come out wrong with all the stuff that goes on in kitchens.
> >
> > And the prep work. My gosh, I remember seeing one prep cook sitting
> > down peeling two or three cases of potatoes. If I had to do that even
> > once a week, I'd go mad from the repetition.

> What size cases?

The same size case that bananas come in, shipped to grocery stores.

> Restaurants don't peel many spuds anymore, haven't for many years...

This was 1989. I worked for a place called Tiffany Grille in Springdale,
Arkansas. It was part of the Holiday Inn...pretty nice hotel, for a
Holiday Inn. They were red potatoes, not totally peeled, but he just
peeled a strip around the middle and left the rest, to be decorative, you
see.

> they buy most spuds frozen, already prepped and par cooked. Those that
> regularly peel raw spuds use automatic vegetable peelers, a rotating
> drum with an abrasive lined interior that sands away the peel and has
> water jets to wash the peeling debis out and away... they look somewaht
> like a small portable cement mixer, the typical restuarant size would
> have no problem peeling 50 lbs of spuds in like 5 minutes, the only
> labor being to pour in the spuds and dump them out....

I guess this was before all that became common. This guy sat on an
upturned milk crate on the floor and peeled them by hand, then took them
to be washed.

> just have to remember to set the timer that shuts off the machine or 40
> minutes later there will be no spuds. Restaurants, when they can, buy
> extra large nicely shapen spuds with fewer eyes, called Chef's grade
> (they're like a pound and more each)d they are fairly easy to pare
> manually.

This house loves potatoes, so much so I'm surprised we don't have an
electric peeler of some kind. But how do those power peelers handle those
huge baking potatoes? My friend picked up some about a week ago that were
massive, stretched from my fingertips, up to past my wrist and were very
thick. It took two and a half hours to bake them in the oven at 365
degrees.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:26:49 -0500, Damaeus
> wrote:

>This house loves potatoes, so much so I'm surprised we don't have an
>electric peeler of some kind. But how do those power peelers handle those
>huge baking potatoes? My friend picked up some about a week ago that were
>massive, stretched from my fingertips, up to past my wrist and were very
>thick. It took two and a half hours to bake them in the oven at 365
>degrees.

Thanks for the putting it into US terms. I bake potatoes at 400°.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 26, 7:11 pm, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> "Damaeus" > wrote in message

> > Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> > "Gregory Morrow" > posted:

> >> And cooking in a restaurant is *very* hard work...exhausting, in fact.

> > Just seeing line cooks at work makes me not want to work in a restaurant.
> > And having worked in a couple of restaurants, myself, I know the confusion
> > that can happen with orders not coming out together, or being delayed, nor
> > not being right. It's no wonder more of them don't come out wrong with
> > all the stuff that goes on in kitchens.

> > And the prep work. My gosh, I remember seeing one prep cook sitting down
> > peeling two or three cases of potatoes. If I had to do that even once a
> > week, I'd go mad from the repetition.

> What size cases? Restaurants don't peel many spuds anymore, haven't for
> many years... they buy most spuds frozen, already prepped and par cooked.
> Those that regularly peel raw spuds use automatic vegetable peelers, a
> rotating drum with an abrasive lined interior that sands away the peel and
> has water jets to wash the peeling debis out and away... they look somewaht
> like a small portable cement mixer, the typical restuarant size would have
> no problem peeling 50 lbs of spuds in like 5 minutes, the only labor being
> to pour in the spuds and dump them out.... just have to remember to set the
> timer that shuts off the machine or 40 minutes later there will be no spuds.
> Restaurants, when they can, buy extra large nicely shapen spuds with fewer
> eyes, called Chef's grade (they're like a pound and more each)d they are
> fairly easy to pare manually.

Years ago, at an odd korean/mexican/chicago diner, the kind of place
that was open all night with $2 breakfast specials, I saw a couple of
late-night drinkers come in for the cheap food. The cook took a
boiled potato, peeled and grated it and made an order of hashbrowns.
I was very impressed.

To digress a bit, the area around Irving Park and Milwaukee Aves was a
great mix of people. Probably is still - I haven't lived in the
neighborhood for 15 years. This particular diner, I think, before my
time, started as one of those normal italian beef, gyros places that
are everywhere (and I miss so much now, in the land of coneydogs and
gas station pizza). When I got there, it was run by Mexicans. Kept
the old chicago greek influenced fast food staples, but added tacos,
burritos, nachos. Then, taken over by Koreans. Nothing taken off the
menu, just stuff added, and maybe a different sensibility in the
cooking. Had the wierdest sandwich - I can't remember if it was
supposed to be a gyros or a taco or what.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message

> And now, many restaurants no longer prepare many of their own foods. They
> order it frozen from Sysco, such as desserts, appetizers, sauces, spreads,
> hamburger patties, etc.... If we had no Sysco, I imagine kitchens would
> be greater disaster areas.
>
> But while I used to enjoy places like Chili's, Applebee's, Bennigan's,
> I've found that the food quality has simply turned to crap. It actually
> tastes like fast food. It tastes like canned, preserved food. So now I
> find that my own cooking is generally better than anything I can get at a
> restaurant.

If Sysco went out of business, perhaps restaurant food would improve.
Probably cost more though if everything was bought and processed locally. .

The big chains pride themselves on the fact that every meatball or every
chicken breast in every restaurant tastes and looks exactly the same. It
tastes like fast food because it really is. IMO< the are places to go to
fuel the body, not to enjoy a great meal. They serve a purpose, I guess,
feeding many couple that cannot or will not cook, or the non adventurous
traveler that knows he will get reasonable food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
sf > posted:

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:26:49 -0500, Damaeus
> > wrote:
>
> >This house loves potatoes, so much so I'm surprised we don't have an
> >electric peeler of some kind. But how do those power peelers handle those
> >huge baking potatoes? My friend picked up some about a week ago that were
> >massive, stretched from my fingertips, up to past my wrist and were very
> >thick. It took two and a half hours to bake them in the oven at 365
> >degrees.

> Thanks for the putting it into US terms. I bake potatoes at 400+ALA-.

Hmmm... Maybe that's why ours turn out a bit starchy -- baking at too low
of a temperature. The package for frozen french fries says to fry at 400
degrees. If I fry lower than that, the inside is starchy and the outside
tends to go rather soft and limp if not eaten quickly. So perhaps 400
degrees until done is right for all potatoes, regardless of the size. I
had assumed it was somewhat like casseroles. To avoid burning the outside
and having a cold inside, turn the temperature down and bake it longer.

Also, I was baffled what you meant at first by thanking me for putting it
in US terms. I checked my message again, and the only thing I could
figure is you were somehow making an indirect jab at my spelling of
"potatoes", as related to Dan Qayle writing "potatoe". But yeah, the
plural, in my dictionary, is "potatoes", not "potatos".

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:47:09 -0500, Damaeus
> wrote:

>Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
>sf > posted:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:26:49 -0500, Damaeus
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >This house loves potatoes, so much so I'm surprised we don't have an
>> >electric peeler of some kind. But how do those power peelers handle those
>> >huge baking potatoes? My friend picked up some about a week ago that were
>> >massive, stretched from my fingertips, up to past my wrist and were very
>> >thick. It took two and a half hours to bake them in the oven at 365
>> >degrees.

>> Thanks for the putting it into US terms. I bake potatoes at 400°.

>Hmmm... Maybe that's why ours turn out a bit starchy -- baking at too low
>of a temperature. The package for frozen french fries says to fry at 400
>degrees. If I fry lower than that, the inside is starchy and the outside
>tends to go rather soft and limp if not eaten quickly. So perhaps 400
>degrees until done is right for all potatoes, regardless of the size. I
>had assumed it was somewhat like casseroles. To avoid burning the outside
>and having a cold inside, turn the temperature down and bake it longer.

Was this potato peeled or not peeled first? If it was unpeeled, the
only thing that should happen is the crusty part will be a little
thicker and crustier. IMO, it's not a bad thing if you like eating
potato skins. Of course, I don't bake potatoes as huge as the one you
described - so I could be completely off the mark.

>Also, I was baffled what you meant at first by thanking me for putting it
>in US terms. I checked my message again, and the only thing I could
>figure is you were somehow making an indirect jab at my spelling of
>"potatoes", as related to Dan Qayle writing "potatoe". But yeah, the
>plural, in my dictionary, is "potatoes", not "potatos".

I was confused by you saying 365°. Americans usually go in 25°
increments... 25, 50, *75*, 00, so I didn't know if you were cooking
in C and converting or really cooking in F.

I think also that the baking time not only had to do with size, but
freshness. I baked a potato last night that was not particularly
massive, but it took a lot longer than I'd estimated. I made it just
for me, so I wasn't holding up anybody else's dinner to get it cooked
the way I wanted without resorting to the microwave.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:

> I've been approached many times over the years by kids and/or their
> parents, asking if I'd be willing to prepare box lunches for pay on an
> "informal" basis. I've also donated catered office lunches on a couple
> of occasions, to professionals who have gone above and beyond the call
> of duty for me or my family (my vet, and my dentist).
>
> I've also thought about the fact that, if I were doing it for pay, I'd
> be using my own kitchen. And that there'd be a relatively small
> profit
> margin. And what if somebody got sick, or had an allergic reaction...
>
> And so for me, cooking remains a hobby.

I cooked several meals for a couple of DH's clients a year or two ago
(in my kitchen) - when they attended a software training course DH was
giving. I asked beforehand if they had any food allergies (nothing
much) and if there was anything they particularly liked/disliked. It
went off pretty well. Nobody got sick (or died <g>) - in fact one of
the guys emailed me afterward to find out if there was another course
he could attend so he could have some more lunches <lol>.

However, having said that - I don't think I could do it on a regular
basis; it was fun - but it wasn't completely without stress. I didn't
make anything too 'fancy' (both of them were 'meat and potatoes' type
of guys) - and on the last day of the course I just made
sandwiches/finger food for lunch because we ended the day with
a 'braai' (grill/BBQ or whatever it's called in other parts of the
world). I bought some chicken, boerewors and some beef steaks - made a
few salads and of course some 'pap'. I would have bought some lamb
chops too - but one of them didn't like lamb... The guys had great fun
cooking their own steaks the way they liked them on the grill - and we
washed it all down with a couple of beers.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> However, having said that - I don't think I could do it on a regular
> basis; it was fun - but it wasn't completely without stress. I didn't
> make anything too 'fancy' (both of them were 'meat and potatoes' type
> of guys) - and on the last day of the course I just made
> sandwiches/finger food for lunch because we ended the day with
> a 'braai' (grill/BBQ or whatever it's called in other parts of the
> world). I bought some chicken, boerewors and some beef steaks - made a
> few salads and of course some 'pap'. I would have bought some lamb
> chops too - but one of them didn't like lamb... The guys had great fun
> cooking their own steaks the way they liked them on the grill - and we
> washed it all down with a couple of beers.

At our butchers, there is a young man experimenting with making all kinds of
sausages and the last one I tried was 'boerwors'! They were very good,
although I wonder if you would recognise them as such

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> At our butchers, there is a young man experimenting with making all
> kinds of
> sausages and the last one I tried was 'boerwors'! They were very
> good, although I wonder if you would recognise them as such

Heh. I probably would - you might find that the young man is either:
a) from South Africa originally or
b) has friends/relatives here or
c) has visited here

There are plenty of South Africans that have moved abroad - and they
take their boerewors recipes with them - and they make biltong too
(similar to jerky). It's a small world, as the old saying goes.

I can't wait for the warmer weather in our part of the world - boerewors
cooked over a charcoal braai (grill) is to die for, my daaahlink <veg>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> At our butchers, there is a young man experimenting with making all
>> kinds of
>> sausages and the last one I tried was 'boerwors'! They were very
>> good, although I wonder if you would recognise them as such

> Heh. I probably would - you might find that the young man is either:
> a) from South Africa originally or
> b) has friends/relatives here or
> c) has visited here
>
> There are plenty of South Africans that have moved abroad - and they
> take their boerewors recipes with them - and they make biltong too
> (similar to jerky). It's a small world, as the old saying goes.
>
> I can't wait for the warmer weather in our part of the world - boerewors
> cooked over a charcoal braai (grill) is to die for, my daaahlink <veg>

As I look out at the rain, I have to tell you that I cook my boerwors in my
oven

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" ha scritto nel messaggio > c) has visited here

> There are plenty of South Africans that have moved abroad -

I recently cooked 5 days for a family of 7 S Africans and it was fun. They
were very interested in the ingredients, the concepts and the kitchen
culture of Italy and loved to eat. Great clients, in short. (I've already
been booked for their return in 2 years!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:46:31 +0200, Giusi wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" ha scritto nel messaggio > c) has visited here
>>
>> There are plenty of South Africans that have moved abroad -

> I recently cooked 5 days for a family of 7 S Africans and it was fun.
> They were very interested in the ingredients, the concepts and the
> kitchen culture of Italy and loved to eat. Great clients, in short.
> (I've already been booked for their return in 2 years!)

Yep. We love to eat <eg>. But we appreciate good food too, so I am not
surprised your clients enjoyed your cooking. Do you know what part
of South Africa they are from?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
>>> There are plenty of South Africans that have moved abroad -

>> I recently cooked 5 days for a family of 7 S Africans and it was fun.>>
>> They were very interested in the ingredients, the concepts and the>>
>> kitchen culture of Italy and loved to eat. Great clients, in short.
>> (I've already been booked for their return in 2 years!)

> Yep. We love to eat <eg>. But we appreciate good food too, so I am not>
> surprised your clients enjoyed your cooking. Do you know what part> of
> South Africa they are from?
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I thought Johannesburg, they are in mining, so is that possible?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>>> I recently cooked 5 days for a family of 7 S Africans and it was
>>> fun.>> They were very interested in the ingredients, the concepts
>>> and the>>
>>> kitchen culture of Italy and loved to eat. Great clients, in short.
>>> (I've already been booked for their return in 2 years!)

>> Yep. We love to eat <eg>. But we appreciate good food too, so I am
>> not surprised your clients enjoyed your cooking. Do you know what
>> part of South Africa they are from?

> I thought Johannesburg, they are in mining, so is that possible?

Quite possible. Or thereabouts. Lots of mines in our Gauteng/North West
Provinces (and Johannesburg is one of our biggest cities in the general
area).
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

>> I thought Johannesburg, they are in mining, so is that possible?

> Quite possible. Or thereabouts. Lots of mines in our Gauteng/North
> West Provinces (and Johannesburg is one of our biggest cities in the
> general area).

Is it true that underground mining explosions could be heard in Johannesburg
downtown everyday, in the 60's?
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:59:00 +0000, ViLco wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>>> I thought Johannesburg, they are in mining, so is that possible?

>> Quite possible. Or thereabouts. Lots of mines in our Gauteng/North
>> West Provinces (and Johannesburg is one of our biggest cities in the
>> general area).

> Is it true that underground mining explosions could be heard in Johannesburg
> downtown everyday, in the 60's?

Dunno. I'm old, but not *that* old <eg>. But I can tell you that I felt
'mine tremors' when I lived about 12km away from the mines (that were
still in production) about 15 years ago. So it may well be true.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy