Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baking Soda and Baking Powder

A recipe I will use tomorrow calls for both.

I seem to recall that most recipes call for one or the other.

Those of you who bake regularly--what are the functions of these two
ingredients?

Can I substitute one for the other?

Why might a recipe call for both?

**disclaimer: Morons such as Greg Morrow, JoeSadBedroom, Heave Squirts and
ProjectileNeedleDeadJunkie answer only for your own amusement. We know you
do not bake.

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in
:

> A recipe I will use tomorrow calls for both.
>
> I seem to recall that most recipes call for one or the other.
>
> Those of you who bake regularly--what are the functions of these two
> ingredients?
>
> Can I substitute one for the other?
>
> Why might a recipe call for both?
>
> **disclaimer: Morons such as Greg Morrow, JoeSadBedroom, Heave Squirts
> and ProjectileNeedleDeadJunkie answer only for your own amusement. We
> know you do not bake.
>
> TIA

Q. What Is the Difference Between Baking Soda & Baking Powder?
From Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.,
Your Guide to Chemistry.

A. Both baking soda and baking powder are leavening agents, which means
they are added to baked goods before cooking to produce carbon dioxide
and cause them to 'rise'. Baking powder contains baking soda, but the
two substances are used under different conditions.

Baking Soda

Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate. When baking soda is combined
with moisture and an acidic ingredient (e.g., yogurt, chocolate,
buttermilk, honey), the resulting chemical reaction produces bubbles of
carbon dioxide that expand under oven temperatures, causing baked goods
to rise. The reaction begins immediately upon mixing the ingredients, so
you need to bake recipes which call for baking soda immediately, or else
they will fall flat!

Baking Powder

Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate, but it includes the
acidifying agent already (cream of tartar), and also a drying agent
(usually starch).

Baking PowderBaking Powder Info. Fast & Easywww.PowderBaking.info

Compound Library ScreensSave 75%: Screen this high quality library with
no purchase necessary.www.ReactionBiology.com
Baking powder is available as single-acting baking powder and as double-
acting baking powder. Single-acting powders are activated by moisture,
so you must bake recipes which include this product immediately after
mixing. Double-acting powders react in two phases and can stand for a
while before baking. With double-acting powder, some gas is released at
room temperature when the powder is added to dough, but the majority of
the gas is released after the temperature of the dough increases in the
oven.

How Are Recipes Determined?

Some recipes call for baking soda, while others call for baking powder.
Which ingredient is used depends on the other ingredients in the recipe.
The ultimate goal is to produce a tasty product with a pleasing texture.
Baking soda is basic and will yield a bitter taste unless countered by
the acidity of another ingredient, such as buttermilk. You'll find
baking soda in cookie recipes. Baking powder contains both an acid and a
base and has an overall neutral effect in terms of taste. Recipes that
call for baking powder often call for other neutral-tasting ingredients,
such as milk. Baking powder is a common ingredient in cakes and
biscuits.

Substituting in Recipes

You can substitute baking powder in place of baking soda (you'll need
more baking powder and it may affect the taste), but you can't use
baking soda when a recipe calls for baking powder. Baking soda by itself
lacks the acidity to make a cake rise. However, you can make your own
baking powder if you have baking soda and cream of tartar. Simply mix
two parts cream of tartar with one part baking soda.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodch...f/blbaking.htm

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in
:

> A recipe I will use tomorrow calls for both.

What's the recipe??

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in
:

> Why might a recipe call for both?

Both baking powder and baking soda are chemical leavening agents that
cause batters to rise when baked. The leavener enlarges the bubbles which
are already present in the batter produced through creaming of ingredients.
When a recipe contains baking powder and baking soda, the baking powder
does most of the leavening. The baking soda is added to neutralize the
acids in the recipe plus to add tenderness and some leavening. When using
baking powder or baking soda in a recipe, make sure to sift or whisk with
the other dry ingredients before adding to the batter to ensure uniformity.
Otherwise the baked good can have large holes.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/bakingsoda.html

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking
PVC PVC is offline

On Feb 15, 10:48 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> A recipe I will use tomorrow calls for both.
>
> I seem to recall that most recipes call for one or the other.
>
> Those of you who bake regularly--what are the functions of these two
> ingredients?
>
> Can I substitute one for the other?
>
> Why might a recipe call for both?
>
> **disclaimer: Morons such as Greg Morrow, JoeSadBedroom, Heave Squirts and
> ProjectileNeedleDeadJunkie answer only for your own amusement. We know you
> do not bake.
>
> TIA

lol.....I'm still imagining you on all of your busy business
calls.....lol.....

<phone rings>

cybercat: Frankie's Used Adult Books, how may I service you today?

customer: Yes, I'd like to order--

cybercat, glancing at computer monitor: Oh blast! I'll have to put
you on hold, Sir! That goddamned Vomit Chicken has posted a retort to
yet another of my piddling postings to RFC! I must rectify this
situation at once! The future of The Coffee Klatch is at stake!!

<cybercat huffing and puffing and pounding furiously on keyboard.
spent, she weakly shakes a feeble fist skyward and moans OOOOHHHHH THE
HUMANITY!>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> A recipe I will use tomorrow calls for both.
>
> I seem to recall that most recipes call for one or the other.
>
> Those of you who bake regularly--what are the functions of these two
> ingredients?
>
> Can I substitute one for the other?
>
> Why might a recipe call for both?

Often recipes that call for buttermilk, sour cream, or yogurt call for some
baking soda in addition to the baking powder. I believe it has to do with
the acid balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 16, 8:58 am, "Janet Puistonen" > wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > A recipe I will use tomorrow calls for both.

> > I seem to recall that most recipes call for one or the other.

> > Those of you who bake regularly--what are the functions of these two
> > ingredients?

> > Can I substitute one for the other?

> > Why might a recipe call for both?

> Often recipes that call for buttermilk, sour cream, or yogurt call for some
> baking soda in addition to the baking powder. I believe it has to do with
> the acid balance.

There are a number of other ingredients where baking soda
is used to adjust the pH, like molasses and chocolate. Some
of them make me say, "Whoda thunk it?" Someone who
has a copy of McGee next to their computer could probably
be more specific.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote on 16 Feb 2007 06:11:15 -0800:
??>>> Those of you who bake regularly--what are the functions
??>>> of these two ingredients?
??>>
??>>> Can I substitute one for the other?
??>>
??>>> Why might a recipe call for both?
??>>
??>> Often recipes that call for buttermilk, sour cream, or
??>> yogurt call for some baking soda in addition to the baking
??>> powder. I believe it has to do with the acid balance.

Try a Google search for, say, baking powder wikipedia. The
article isn't perfect but is quite good.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Puistonen" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> A recipe I will use tomorrow calls for both.
>>
>> I seem to recall that most recipes call for one or the other.
>>
>> Those of you who bake regularly--what are the functions of these two
>> ingredients?
>>
>> Can I substitute one for the other?
>>
>> Why might a recipe call for both?

> Often recipes that call for buttermilk, sour cream, or yogurt call for
> some baking soda in addition to the baking powder. I believe it has to do
> with the acid balance.

Hmm. Thanks Janet. This is a recipe for pumpkin bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote

> There are a number of other ingredients where baking soda
> is used to adjust the pH, like molasses and chocolate. Some
> of them make me say, "Whoda thunk it?" Someone who
> has a copy of McGee next to their computer could probably
> be more specific.

Aha! This recipe has molasses in it. The plot thickens. I've
always thought cooking was like playing with chemistry, it
really is, more than I thought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> A recipe I will use tomorrow calls for both.
>
> I seem to recall that most recipes call for one or the other.
>
> Those of you who bake regularly--what are the functions of these two
> ingredients?
>
> Can I substitute one for the other?
>
> Why might a recipe call for both?
>
> **disclaimer: Morons such as Greg Morrow, JoeSadBedroom, Heave Squirts and
> ProjectileNeedleDeadJunkie answer only for your own amusement. We know you
> do not bake.
>
> TIA

Well, no, they are not interchangeable.

Mom and dad refused to use baking powder due to the aluminates in it.
Mom taught me to substitute.

2 parts cream of tarter to 1 part baking soda equals baking powder.

I've no idea why it would call for extra baking soda. I'd have to see
the entire recipe.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote
> >
> > There are a number of other ingredients where baking soda
> > is used to adjust the pH, like molasses and chocolate. Some
> > of them make me say, "Whoda thunk it?" Someone who
> > has a copy of McGee next to their computer could probably
> > be more specific.
> >

> Aha! This recipe has molasses in it. The plot thickens. I've
> always thought cooking was like playing with chemistry, it
> really is, more than I thought.

While I will "wing" the vast majority of my cooking, baking is pure
chemistry, and proportions are critical. :-)

I actually follow recipes on the rare occasions that I bake!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.