Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What a waste

I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful
canvas bag to carry into the house.

Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.

Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful canvas
> bag to carry into the house.
>
> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.
> nancy

You're not the only one! I left some chickin in my car overnight.
Fortunately, it did not leak, but the result was the same--a waste.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 6:59*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. *What a
> bummer. *Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. *Put them in my ever faithful
> canvas bag to carry into the house.
>
> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning. *To add insult to injury, blood
> leaked out all over the floor. *So long, beautiful chops. *

<sigh> "Guilty as charged, Your Honor."

I feel your pain.

At least you didn't trudge through the puddle bare-footed on your way
to get your first cup of coffee. That's how I "remembered" my purchase
from the day prior.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful canvas
> bag to carry into the house.
>
> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.
> nancy

One day last summer I went shopping on a Friday afternoon and bought a
whole chicken that I planned to cook on Sunday. While getting ready to
start cooking Sunday dinner I couldn't find it. I looked through the
fridge, fridge freeze and chest freezer. No sign of it. I went out and
checked the car trunk and there it was. After two days of sitting in
the hot trunk I sure wasn't going to risk cooking it. I didn't even want
it in the garbage. I carried it out to the back fields and left it for
the coyotes, crows, vultures or whoever else was interested in eating
rotten chicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
>> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
>> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful
>> canvas bag to carry into the house.
>>
>> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
>> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>>
>> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
>> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.

> You're not the only one! I left some chickin in my car overnight.
> Fortunately, it did not leak, but the result was the same--a waste.

Oh, can you imagine if you didn't get in your car the next day?
Or a couple of days later? Thank goodness for small favors.
I'm going to look at it like, at least it wasn't sitting on carpet
(not that I'd put a bag of pork chops on carpet).

I'm not happy you left chicken in the car but at least I don't feel
so alone. (laugh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> On Jun 20, 6:59 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
>> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
>> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful
>> canvas bag to carry into the house.
>>
>> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
>> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>>
>> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
>> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.

> <sigh> "Guilty as charged, Your Honor."
>
> I feel your pain.
>
> At least you didn't trudge through the puddle bare-footed on your way
> to get your first cup of coffee. That's how I "remembered" my purchase
> from the day prior.

Oh, ugh. Yeah, I'm realizing it could have been much worse. I'm
still bummed I did that.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

No such thing as "ever faithful" canvas bags, obviously!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
>> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.

> One day last summer I went shopping on a Friday afternoon and bought a
> whole chicken that I planned to cook on Sunday. While getting ready
> to start cooking Sunday dinner I couldn't find it. I looked through
> the fridge, fridge freeze and chest freezer. No sign of it. I went
> out and checked the car trunk and there it was. After two days of
> sitting in the hot trunk I sure wasn't going to risk cooking it. I
> didn't even want it in the garbage. I carried it out to the back
> fields and left it for the coyotes, crows, vultures or whoever else
> was interested in eating rotten chicken.

Talk about carrion! Yikes. I would have been cursing myself for
leaving the chicken back at the store again. Heh. And does anything
smell bad quite the way spoiled chicken does? Or even old cooked
chicken? Be glad you put it in the trunk. P U

Does bring back memories of a work Christmas party. I'd made crab
dip ... brought home the leftovers, of course, and for whatever reason,
I had to put it in the trunk. You know I forgot it. It was winter, so it
took some time for my car to have an ... undefinable odor. Okay,
maybe spoiled fish/seafood smells worse than spoiled chicken.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:30:00 -0400:

> Does bring back memories of a work Christmas party. I'd made crab dip
> ... brought home the leftovers, of course, and for
> whatever reason, I had to put it in the trunk. You know I
> forgot it. It was winter, so it took some time for my car to have an
> ... undefinable odor. Okay, maybe spoiled
> fish/seafood smells worse than spoiled chicken.

Brings back memories of my first visit to Madrid. They were having a
drought and had forbidden washing the streets. I have not forgotten the
smell of the fish market!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful
> canvas bag to carry into the house.

> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning.
> nancy

You dork!! "-)
I've done it, too, but not with meat. Rotting vegetables. . . .
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> No such thing as "ever faithful" canvas bags, obviously!!!

You're right, blame the bag! I feel much better.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
>> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
>> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful
>> canvas bag to carry into the house.

>> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>>
>> Saw them sitting there this morning.
>> nancy

> You dork!! "-)

(laugh) You just figured that out?

> I've done it, too, but not with meat. Rotting vegetables. . . .

And they liquify, too. Blech.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Nancy wrote on Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:30:00 -0400:
>
>> Does bring back memories of a work Christmas party. I'd made crab
>> dip ... brought home the leftovers, of course, and for
>> whatever reason, I had to put it in the trunk. You know I
>> forgot it. It was winter, so it took some time for my car to have an
>> ... undefinable odor. Okay, maybe spoiled
>> fish/seafood smells worse than spoiled chicken.

> Brings back memories of my first visit to Madrid. They were having a
> drought and had forbidden washing the streets. I have not forgotten
> the smell of the fish market!

A stinky fish market, that's terrible. I'm not sure how washing
the streets would fix that, but I'm not familiar with how they deal
with sanitation there.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> Andy wrote:
>> No such thing as "ever faithful" canvas bags, obviously!!!

> You're right, blame the bag! I feel much better.
>
> nancy

Heh heh heh heh heh!

Better luck next time!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful canvas
> bag to carry into the house.
>
> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.
> nancy

What a shame! But no, you're not the only one! Remember a few years ago
when I was sure I'd bought two packages of fish but could only find one when
I was putting things in the freezer? Turned out the other package came out
of the shopping bag in the trunk of my car. And there it sat for a couple
of days. When I did get in the car...OMG! Fortunately, Febreeze, some
cheap spray air freshener and leaving the trunk open for a few hours took
care of the problem. Don't feel bad. Happens to all of us from time to
time.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I once purchased a large frozen turkey breast. On the way home from the
store it rolled out of the bag and hid under the way back seat of my
van. As I wasn't going to use it immediately, I had intended to store
it in my freezer, I didn't notice that it was missing from my shopping.
I had completely forgoten about it, FOR A WEEK IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER!

The van wasn't used on a daily basis and when I eventually opened the
door the stench was incredible. Luckily the plastic bags holding the
turkey were totally intact and no juices leaked onto the van rug, but it
could have been a total disaster. As it was, it took weeks to get rid
of the smell that had permeated the whole van, but it did eventually go
away.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> What a shame! But no, you're not the only one! Remember a few years
> ago when I was sure I'd bought two packages of fish but could only find
> one when I was putting things in the freezer? Turned out the other
> package came out of the shopping bag in the trunk of my car. And there
> it sat for a couple of days. When I did get in the car...OMG!
> Fortunately, Febreeze, some cheap spray air freshener and leaving the
> trunk open for a few hours took care of the problem. Don't feel bad.
> Happens to all of us from time to time.
>
> Jill

Oh ick! Fish left in the car is especially bad.

I have forgotten something or other that needed to be
refrigerated. I forget what. Probably same reason Nancy
mentioned: I needed a pit stop and then forgot.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:00:06 -0400:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Nancy wrote on Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:30:00 -0400:
>>
>>> Does bring back memories of a work Christmas party. I'd
>>> made crab dip ... brought home the leftovers, of course, and
>>> for whatever reason, I had to put it in the trunk. You know
>>> I forgot it. It was winter, so it took some time for my car
>>> to have an ... undefinable odor. Okay, maybe
>>> spoiled fish/seafood smells worse than spoiled chicken.

>> Brings back memories of my first visit to Madrid. They were
>> having a drought and had forbidden washing the streets. I
>> have not forgotten the smell of the fish market!

> A stinky fish market, that's terrible. I'm not sure how
> washing the streets would fix that, but I'm not familiar with how they
> deal with sanitation there.

It was customary to wash down the street each night where the stalls
were set up.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I've done it, too, but not with meat. Rotting vegetables. . . .

> And they liquify, too. Blech.
>
> nancy

Ayup.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful canvas
> bag to carry into the house.
>
> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.
> nancy

Oh, yuckers.

I've got three dogs so I'm paranoid about any kind of food purchase.
They go straight upstairs, get piled onto the stove and counters and put
away directly.

It would be bad enough to lose a package of meat to spoilage, but a vet
bill for a case of pancreatitis would be worse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful
> canvas bag to carry into the house.
>
> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.

Yup, that's Alzheimer's, all right. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful canvas
> bag to carry into the house.
>
> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.

I do that too often for comfort. Latest was a package of fresh tofu from
the farmer's market, from the folks around here who make the very best
tofu. I was so looking forward to eating that!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> > I've done it, too, but not with meat. Rotting vegetables. . . .

>> And they liquify, too. Blech.
>>
>> nancy

> Ayup.

You beetches have way too much money if you can do this. Within an hour of
getting home, I'm like, "hmm, where is that asparagus?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
>> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
>> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful
>> canvas bag to carry into the house.
>>
>> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
>> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>>
>> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
>> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops. nancy

> Oh, yuckers.
>
> I've got three dogs so I'm paranoid about any kind of food purchase.
> They go straight upstairs, get piled onto the stove and counters and put
> away directly.
>
> It would be bad enough to lose a package of meat to spoilage, but a vet
> bill for a case of pancreatitis would be worse.

I know what you mean Kathleen. I have to keep a row of items at the end
of the kitchen counter to keep the cats from jumping up on it to it.

One night I feel asleep on the couch while watching a movie, but had put
a couple of strip steaks on the counter to defrost from rock to
semi-rock where I'd put it into the fridge to finish and be grilled the
next day. Well, since I fell asleep, they didn't make it into the
fridge, and one of the cats had pulled one of the steaks down and onto
the floor (they know when they have a good opportunity). I woke up when
my wife got home late from work, but only because I heard her laughing
her a$$ off. That strip steak was being dragged up the stairs to the
bedroom to be consumed at his leisure by the cat (Felix was his name).
The steak was as big as he was.

Since then, I've kept a row of items across the counter like dry
creamer, the sugar jar, salt and pepper shakers, roll of foil, etc., so
they can't get onto the counter.

Regards,

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
>> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.

> I've got three dogs so I'm paranoid about any kind of food purchase.
> They go straight upstairs, get piled onto the stove and counters and
> put away directly.

You're right, even though my dog wouldn't have touched it,
when she was around I never would have put it on the floor.

> It would be bad enough to lose a package of meat to spoilage, but a
> vet bill for a case of pancreatitis would be worse.

That's for sure.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise in NH wrote:
> I once purchased a large frozen turkey breast. On the way home from
> the store it rolled out of the bag and hid under the way back seat of
> my van. As I wasn't going to use it immediately, I had intended to
> store it in my freezer, I didn't notice that it was missing from my
> shopping. I had completely forgoten about it, FOR A WEEK IN THE
> MIDDLE OF SUMMER!

That had to be awful!

> The van wasn't used on a daily basis and when I eventually opened the
> door the stench was incredible. Luckily the plastic bags holding the
> turkey were totally intact and no juices leaked onto the van rug, but
> it could have been a total disaster. As it was, it took weeks to get
> rid of the smell that had permeated the whole van, but it did
> eventually go away.

I just recently had to get a stench out of my car and luckily found
it was saturated in the mats. Took those out and cleaned them and
it's good now. But if it's in the upholstery, geez, what do you do.
Glad it went away.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Nancy wrote on Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:00:06 -0400:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> Brings back memories of my first visit to Madrid. They were
>>> having a drought and had forbidden washing the streets. I
>>> have not forgotten the smell of the fish market!

>> A stinky fish market, that's terrible. I'm not sure how
>> washing the streets would fix that, but I'm not familiar with how
>> they deal with sanitation there.

> It was customary to wash down the street each night where the stalls
> were set up.

I understand! Stalls, yes, I can see the problem. I was thinking it
was a regular store.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Does bring back memories of a work Christmas party. I'd made crab
> dip ... brought home the leftovers, of course, and for whatever
> reason, I had to put it in the trunk. You know I forgot it. It was
> winter,
> so it took some time for my car to have an ... undefinable odor.
> Okay, maybe spoiled fish/seafood smells worse than spoiled chicken.
>
> nancy

I think the "winner" is seafood. My next-door neighbor
brought crabs home in the car from a summertime crab feast and forgot
them until a day or two later. Unbelievable - never to be forgotten.

A coworker left raw oysters in the shell in our office refrigerator
over the Christmas/New Year vacation. Oy vey.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 9:59*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. *What a
> bummer. *Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. *Put them in my ever faithful
> canvas bag to carry into the house.
>
> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning. *To add insult to injury, blood
> leaked out all over the floor. *So long, beautiful chops. *
>
> nancy *

Living once in a very hot climate trained me to get the stuff into the
house asap. The habit stuck. However, I HAVE left fruit around long
enough to get moldy and have left meat out overnight by accident.
Meant for a short thaw and then forgot it.

I once left a beautiful apple pie only one third eaten in the oven
overnight, figuring I'd fridge it in the morning. (lazy) A million
ants the next morning. Killed me to toss it.

Left tomato sauce simmering all night on stove - ya know that awful
taste of overcooked meat? It had country spareribs in it - tossed the
whole thing.

I pack my perishables myself at the store and bring them in first trip
from the garage in their separate bag(s).

I have thought, when driving home with a big food order on board -
what if I had an accident and all this stuff in the trunk went to
spoilage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I just recently had to get a stench out of my car and luckily found
> it was saturated in the mats. Took those out and cleaned them and
> it's good now. But if it's in the upholstery, geez, what do you do.
> Glad it went away.

The worst thing I ever had for stinks in the car, was milk. A carton of
milk leaked and I didn't notice until I got 'the smell'. I used everything
I could find but never did totally get rid of that smell and eventually I
sold the car

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful canvas
> bag to carry into the house.
>
> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.
> nancy

If you would have left them outside, everything would have been cleaned up,
slick as a whistle. At least around here it would have been. Critters
would have done battle for dibs on it.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I just recently had to get a stench out of my car and luckily found
> it was saturated in the mats. Took those out and cleaned them and
> it's good now. But if it's in the upholstery, geez, what do you do.
> Glad it went away.

The first year I lived here a squirrel built a nest under my car battery,
the babies died, I don't know for how long but talk about stink, the odor
permeted the entire vehicle and was the most awful stench. I thought for
sure I'd have to throw the car away but my mechanic told me about this, it
really works: http://ultrashield.com/home.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> MaryL wrote:
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
>>> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
>>> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful
>>> canvas bag to carry into the house.
>>>
>>> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
>>> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>>>
>>> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
>>> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.

>> You're not the only one! I left some chickin in my car overnight.
>> Fortunately, it did not leak, but the result was the same--a waste.

> Oh, can you imagine if you didn't get in your car the next day?
> Or a couple of days later? Thank goodness for small favors.
> I'm going to look at it like, at least it wasn't sitting on carpet
> (not that I'd put a bag of pork chops on carpet).
> I'm not happy you left chicken in the car but at least I don't feel
> so alone. (laugh)
>
> nancy

Anecdotes "R" us? but where to start?

I used to have a bedroom just off the kitchen, where, when i was sitting
at my desk and the door was open i could see into the kitchen, just a
corner of it.

I was sitting there one night, about half way through a bottle of wine
working on some drawings of a logo when some rather odd behavior of the
2 cats finally sank in.

For a couple of hours i had noticed them, peripherally, out of the
'corner of my eye' furtively jumping up and down from a kitchen chair.

Initially i paid it no mind, cats! they do the oddest things.

I once came home to find a full grown cut curled up in the bottom of a 5
quart pressure cooker i had left siting empty on the floor.

But i would see the cats out of the corner of my eye doing something,
very involved, but if i so much as looked at them they would sense it
and jump down.

Finally i got up and went in to the kitchen to find the ground meat i
had not put away, merely laid, in its plastic wrapped container on the
kitchen chair half eaten, between the 2 of them they managed to feast on
half a pound of a good lean ground beef.

Many years before i worked as a janitor at a tavern, and i would
routinely come in on saturday and sunday mornings and find bags of
groceries from a big, popular market that was only a couple of blocks
from the collage town bar i worked at. I often had my weeks worth of
groceries provided for me free by tipsy patrons forgetting to take
their groceries with them when they left.

One time i went in saturday morning and found, among other things, 6 big
lobsters, nicely wrapped, individually in plastic & Styrofoam.

Put them in the bar cooler and went about my job of cleaning the bar.

I made a couple of calls during the day just kind of hinting around to
various regulars i knew who might have left them there but got no claims
on them, so i invited some people over and cooked them on the grill
Sunday afternoon.

About half way into the grilling and basting of them i got a call.

Word had somehow got out from the phone calls i had made and one of the
regulars called and asked about the lobsters, i indicated their present
condition and expressed regret for it suggesting that the individual who
lost them come on over and have a bite, there were only 4 of us to eat
the 6 big lobsters and i thought i could stretch it to one more.

The woman who bought them, didn't get to serve them to the people she
intended to, but she did get to eat some. And later complemented me on
my preparation of them. She confessed she was not looking forward to
cooking them, and had bought them solely to impress and hadn't a clue
how to prepare them.
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://www.dancingmice.net/Karn%20Evil%209.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I just recently had to get a stench out of my car and luckily found
>> it was saturated in the mats. Took those out and cleaned them and
>> it's good now. But if it's in the upholstery, geez, what do you do.
>> Glad it went away.
>>

> The first year I lived here a squirrel built a nest under my car battery,
> the babies died, I don't know for how long but talk about stink, the odor
> permeted the entire vehicle and was the most awful stench. I thought for
> sure I'd have to throw the car away but my mechanic told me about this, it
> really works: http://ultrashield.com/home.htm

Ugh.

OTOH, I know someone who could use that product in his car.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful canvas
> bag to carry into the house.
>
> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.
> nancy

It has happened to me, too. Not lately--my latest disaster was the
garage freezer door being left ajar with about half the contents ruined.
Forgive yourself, life is too short to stress over something like that.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
>> bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
>> a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful
>> canvas bag to carry into the house.
>>
>> Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
>> Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>>
>> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
>> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.

> Yup, that's Alzheimer's, all right. :-)

Nah. Alzheimer's is when you don't know what pork chops ARE when you
look at them.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >>
> >> Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
> >> leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.

> > Yup, that's Alzheimer's, all right. :-)

> Nah. Alzheimer's is when you don't know what pork chops ARE when you
> look at them.

That comes next.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I just recently had to get a stench out of my car and luckily found
>>> it was saturated in the mats. Took those out and cleaned them and
>>> it's good now. But if it's in the upholstery, geez, what do you do.
>>> Glad it went away.
>>>

>> The first year I lived here a squirrel built a nest under my car battery,
>> the babies died, I don't know for how long but talk about stink, the odor
>> permeted the entire vehicle and was the most awful stench. I thought for
>> sure I'd have to throw the car away but my mechanic told me about this,
>> it really works: http://ultrashield.com/home.htm

> Ugh.

Why Ugh? That product leaves no offensive odor. In fact it's what new car
dealers use to to give new cars that new car smell... do yoose really think
cars smell that way fresh from the factory, they do not. The product is
also available in various scents if that's what one wants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:59:21 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>I hope I'm not the only person who has ever done this. What a
>bummer. Did a quick shopping at Costco yesterday and picked up
>a nice package of pork loin chops. Put them in my ever faithful
>canvas bag to carry into the house.
>
>Of course, upon getting home I had to take a quick pit stop.
>Leaned the bag next to the stairs and Out of Sight, Out of Mind.
>
>Saw them sitting there this morning. To add insult to injury, blood
>leaked out all over the floor. So long, beautiful chops.

BTDT. Mostly something falls out of a bag and gets left in the trunk.
It's not so bad in the winter but summer sun beating on a trunk can
make stuff nasty real fast.

When I was a kid I had a 1972 ford LTD. Behind the back seat there
was a huge deck that covered the trunk. I went on a Friday night date
and we both had fish. The portions were large and there were doggie
bags. Like teenagers do we later ended up in the back seat and the
bags were tossed on the deck and forgotten. The summer sun beat
through the windows until Monday morning when I went to school. It
was one of the worst smells I've ever gagged to. After a week I had
to shampoo the seats and the carpeting. Nasty stuff. I did get rid
of it but it was a pita.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> Why Ugh? That product leaves no offensive odor. In fact it's what
> new car dealers use to to give new cars that new car smell... do
> yoose really think cars smell that way fresh from the factory, they
> do not. The product is also available in various scents if that's
> what one wants.

I definitely would have tried it. What I wanted to get rid of was
the horrible cherry smell the auto body shop doused my car in
before returning it. I'm still annoyed, good thing cleaning the mats
solved the problem. You couldn't drive the car with the windows
closed. Hello, you're supposed to fix the fender bender, no need
to smell up the interior.

nancy