Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Big Waste

What a waste of a show! They are acting shocked that so much food is thrown
away from stores, farms, restaurants, etc. Surely they already knew this.
And now they are cooking it all up for people who can probably easily afford
to feed themselves. Yeah.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 8, 10:53*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> What a waste of a show! *They are acting shocked that so much food is thrown
> away from stores, farms, restaurants, etc. *Surely they already knew this.
> And now they are cooking it all up for people who can probably easily afford
> to feed themselves. *Yeah.

It's not a wasted show. They are drawing the public's attention to
the waste that goes on in the food industry.

Good for them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> What a waste of a show! They are acting shocked that so much food is thrown
> away from stores, farms, restaurants, etc. Surely they already knew this.
> And now they are cooking it all up for people who can probably easily afford
> to feed themselves. Yeah.

ah, there's the compassionate julie that everyone loves so much
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 7:45*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jan 8, 10:53*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > What a waste of a show! *They are acting shocked that so much food is thrown
> > away from stores, farms, restaurants, etc. *Surely they already knew this.
> > And now they are cooking it all up for people who can probably easily afford
> > to feed themselves. *Yeah.

> It's not a wasted show. * They are drawing the public's attention to
> the waste that goes on in the food industry.
>
> Good for them.

I once knew of an animal shelter that begged for certain food about to
be tossed by a local market. After they assured them that no human
'bean' would be eating it, the market complied and it was a blessing
to the shelter. I'm sure a lot of this goes on, what with free
kitchens etc. in many churches etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jan 8, 10:53 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> What a waste of a show! They are acting shocked that so much food is
>> thrown away from stores, farms, restaurants, etc. Surely they
>> already knew this. And now they are cooking it all up for people who
>> can probably easily afford to feed themselves. Yeah.

> It's not a wasted show. They are drawing the public's attention to
> the waste that goes on in the food industry.
>
> Good for them.

How in the world could people not already know this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Jan 9, 7:45 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> On Jan 8, 10:53 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> What a waste of a show! They are acting shocked that so much food
>>> is thrown away from stores, farms, restaurants, etc. Surely they
>>> already knew this. And now they are cooking it all up for people
>>> who can probably easily afford to feed themselves. Yeah.

>> It's not a wasted show. They are drawing the public's attention to
>> the waste that goes on in the food industry.
>>
>> Good for them.

> I once knew of an animal shelter that begged for certain food about to
> be tossed by a local market. After they assured them that no human
> 'bean' would be eating it, the market complied and it was a blessing
> to the shelter. I'm sure a lot of this goes on, what with free
> kitchens etc. in many churches etc.

It does and AFAIK it always has.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 16:45:48 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> On Jan 8, 10:53 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> What a waste of a show! They are acting shocked that so much food
>>> is thrown away from stores, farms, restaurants, etc. Surely they
>>> already knew this. And now they are cooking it all up for people
>>> who can probably easily afford to feed themselves. Yeah.

>> It's not a wasted show. They are drawing the public's attention to
>> the waste that goes on in the food industry.

> Exactly. And even if they already knew how much was wasted, a lot of
> folks don't, and this was an effort to bring it to the attention of
> the general public. And as others have mentioned, cooking for
> celebrities is one way to garner attention to the really big problem
> of waste. Even though some folks know it is happening, it really
> needs to hit home, for it to ever be stopped. If one doesn't know
> there is a problem, then it can't be fixed.
>
> Christine

I find it extremely hard to believe that a lot of folks don't know this. I
really do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 17:11:32 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Jan 9, 7:45*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> On Jan 8, 10:53*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>> > What a waste of a show! *They are acting shocked that so much food is thrown
>> > away from stores, farms, restaurants, etc. *Surely they already knew this.
>> > And now they are cooking it all up for people who can probably easily afford
>> > to feed themselves. *Yeah.

>> It's not a wasted show. * They are drawing the public's attention to
>> the waste that goes on in the food industry.
>>
>> Good for them.

>I once knew of an animal shelter that begged for certain food about to
>be tossed by a local market. After they assured them that no human
>'bean' would be eating it, the market complied and it was a blessing
>to the shelter. I'm sure a lot of this goes on, what with free
>kitchens etc. in many churches etc.

In rural areas like where I live most all businesses that that have
food that is unfit to sell will donate it to anyone willing to haul it
away for feeding critters. I have several local sources that give me
stale baked goods and spoiling produce to feed my critters... a local
dago resto saves all the uneaten bread for people who feed critters...
a lot of patrons don't touch the bread but it can't be served again,
my critters don't mind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 17:11:32 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:

>>> It's not a wasted show. They are drawing the public's attention to
>>> the waste that goes on in the food industry.
>>>
>>> Good for them.

>>I once knew of an animal shelter that begged for certain food about to
>>be tossed by a local market. After they assured them that no human
>>'bean' would be eating it, the market complied and it was a blessing
>>to the shelter. I'm sure a lot of this goes on, what with free
>>kitchens etc. in many churches etc.

> In rural areas like where I live most all businesses that that have
> food that is unfit to sell will donate it to anyone willing to haul it
> away for feeding critters. I have several local sources that give me
> stale baked goods and spoiling produce to feed my critters... a local
> dago resto saves all the uneaten bread for people who feed critters...
> a lot of patrons don't touch the bread but it can't be served again,
> my critters don't mind.

I think pretty much all places do this. My uncle used to have a pig farm in
OK. He got the leftovers from McDonalds to feed them. Most likely he got
stuff from other places as well.

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
wrote:

[...]

Places by me will have a little section in the back of the store with 13 gallon bags of bread marked "for the pigs/goats." Pigs, in my experience, won't eat moldy bread. Goats will eat anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I find it extremely hard to believe that a lot of folks don't know this. I
> really do!

but then again, you find so much hard to believ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 5:14*pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Exactly. *And even if they already knew how much was wasted, a lot of
> folks don't, and this was an effort to bring it to the attention of
> the general public. * And as others have mentioned, cooking for
> celebrities is one way to garner attention to the really big problem
> of waste. *Even though some folks know it is happening, it really
> needs to hit home, for it to ever be stopped. * If one doesn't know

Part of the problem is lawsuits. Many places that used to give food to
food banks won't because they are afraid that perishable food may be
given out too late and the donor will be the one sued. I work in a
grocery store. We used to send stuff to food banks. The deli food quit
going out years ago. Then more recently, the bakery food stopped being
donated. Now it goes to compost or animal food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> On 1/10/12 4:30 AM, wrote:
>
>> Part of the problem is lawsuits. Many places that used to give food to
>> food banks won't because they are afraid that perishable food may be
>> given out too late and the donor will be the one sued. I work in a
>> grocery store. We used to send stuff to food banks. The deli food quit
>> going out years ago. Then more recently, the bakery food stopped being
>> donated. Now it goes to compost or animal food.
>>

> I understand the legal worries, and probably can't blame them for the
> fear.
> I always wonder if the produce department has some sort of compost
> agreement in effect when I see them hacking, peeling or discarding various
> bits of fruit and veg. You know, when you see them peeling cabbage leaves
> or corn husks back, or tossing out soft mushy tomatoes. At least it isn't
> a total waste if they can compost it, right? I know my compost pile would
> welcome it.

The stores here do sell some prepared produce such as stew packs or shish
kebabs already made and ready to cook. It is possible they could be using
less than perfect produce for those things. I really don't know.

I know of one store in PA that sells less than perfect produce at a
discount. I had a lady recoil in horror at my buying fresh bell peppers
when there were some mushy ones on the mark down section. She told me they
were perfectly fine. I suppose if I were going to cook with them they might
have done. But I was going to eat them raw. And I want my raw things to be
crisp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

>> I always wonder if the produce department has some sort of compost
>> agreement in effect when I see them hacking, peeling or discarding
>> various bits of fruit and veg. You know, when you see them peeling
>> cabbage leaves or corn husks back, or tossing out soft mushy tomatoes.
>> At least it isn't a total waste if they can compost it, right? I know my
>> compost pile would welcome it.

It wouldn't be cost effective to collect, separate the compostables
from the non compostables and tranport it to a facility, every day.
However I'm sure the produce manager would let you have all the
trimmings for the taking... just smile and flash a bit of cleavage.
LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 6:01*am, Goomba > wrote:
> On 1/10/12 4:30 AM, wrote:
>
> > Part of the problem is lawsuits. Many places that used to give food to
> > food banks won't because they are afraid that perishable food may be
> > given out too late and the donor will be the one sued. *I work in a
> > grocery store. We used to send stuff to food banks. The deli food quit
> > going out years ago. Then more recently, the bakery food stopped being
> > donated. Now it goes to compost or animal food.

> I understand the legal worries, and probably can't blame them for the fear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 6:15*am, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail> wrote:
> On 1/10/2012 9:01 AM, Goomba wrote:
>

> > On 1/10/12 4:30 AM, wrote:

> >> Part of the problem is lawsuits. Many places that used to give food to
> >> food banks won't because they are afraid that perishable food may be
> >> given out too late and the donor will be the one sued. I work in a
> >> grocery store. We used to send stuff to food banks. The deli food quit
> >> going out years ago. Then more recently, the bakery food stopped being
> >> donated. Now it goes to compost or animal food.

> > I understand the legal worries, and probably can't blame them for the fear.
> > I always wonder if the produce department has some sort of compost
> > agreement in effect when I see them hacking, peeling or discarding
> > various bits of fruit and veg. You know, when you see them peeling
> > cabbage leaves or corn husks back, or tossing out soft mushy tomatoes.
> > At least it isn't a total waste if they can compost it, right? I know my
> > compost pile would welcome it.

> Ditto. *I wonder if it would have an impact on their hauling charges.
> You'd think money would be incentive to let people take it away for
> free. *Probably not enough to bother with.

I'm not sure where our compost goes, but I suspect it is a company
that buys it and resells it to farmers. I know that we get paid for
the compost as memos have stated that more compost per store reduces
garbage fees and brings in some money. And we only get credit if the
compost is done correctly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2012 7:44 PM, wrote:
> On Jan 10, 6:01 am, > wrote:

>> I understand the legal worries, and probably can't blame them for the fear.
>> I always wonder if the produce department has some sort of compost
>> agreement in effect when I see them hacking, peeling or discarding
>> various bits of fruit and veg. You know, when you see them peeling
>> cabbage leaves or corn husks back, or tossing out soft mushy tomatoes.
>> At least it isn't a total waste if they can compost it, right? I know my
>> compost pile would welcome it.

> We started our compost program less than a year ago. No idea why it
> took so long. But now, all the produce discards, leftover food and
> paper supplies from the deli and bakery, and even the coffee grounds
> from Starbucks go into the compost.

That's fantastic. I didn't think any store would want to get involved
with the composting itself.

> I don't know how each store does
> it since they didn't give us any supplies for sorting. In the deli, we
> have 6 large garbage cans. In the work areas in the back, we have two
> devoted to plastic, one to compost, and one to garbage. Up front, we
> have two cans with a cardboard divider in each so that we can have two
> bags in each can, one for plastic, and one for compost. We also have 2
> buckets fro trash and 4 smaller cans that get a mixture which we sort
> later. When we are up front helping customers, we don't have time to
> sort the trash, so we just throw it all in the nearest can and sort it
> at the end of the night.
>
> The compost includes paper packaging, any food that has been
> distressed (past pull, left on a shelf somewhere, etc), and scraps.

So interesting, thanks for the story. I wonder how many stores
do this.

> I'm still surprised that we have no recycling for glass or metal.
> Granted, we don't have as much. But those would seem obvious.

I know that cardboard recycling has been the law for businesses
here for some time, I would think they'd recycle glass.

> I believe we average a pallet board a day for our store for compost.

Cool.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 5:47*pm, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail> wrote:
> On 1/10/2012 7:44 PM, wrote:
>
> > On Jan 10, 6:01 am, > *wrote:
> >> I understand the legal worries, and probably can't blame them for the fear.
> >> I always wonder if the produce department has some sort of compost
> >> agreement in effect when I see them hacking, peeling or discarding
> >> various bits of fruit and veg. You know, when you see them peeling
> >> cabbage leaves or corn husks back, or tossing out soft mushy tomatoes.
> >> At least it isn't a total waste if they can compost it, right? I know my
> >> compost pile would welcome it.

> > We started our compost program less than a year ago. No idea why it
> > took so long. But now, all the produce discards, leftover food and
> > paper supplies from the deli and bakery, and even the coffee grounds
> > from Starbucks go into the compost.

> That's fantastic. *I didn't think any store would want to get involved
> with the composting itself.

Let me clarify that we don't actually work on the compost here.
Everything that qualifies is loaded into wax type boxes (in the deli
department, we use the boxes that our whole chickens comes in). Those
are all stacked on a pallet and and picked up by the truck that
delivers product. I assume it then goes to a where house and full
truck loads are sent to the company that does the actual composting.

It amazing how much of our previous trash was plastic or compostable
materials. We used to have a full 6 wheeler twice a day of trash from
our department. It is now usually 3-4 bags or trash, several boxes of
compost, and a huge bag of plastic (no idea what size those bags are.
but when unopened, they are a good 5 feet tall. Not so tall when full
and wide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> What? I want to be in a...what? Obviously this person is not my husband.

to tell the truth I doubt very many here even believe you have a husband
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

>> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds > wrote:

> What? I want to be in a...what? Obviously this person is not my
> husband.

Just killfile the turd, and be done with it.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Skydiving: Where immortality is touched through danger,
where life meets death on equal plane;
where man is more than man, and existence both supreme and valueless at the
same instant.

--- Charles A. Lindbergh ---