Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ricotta Salata

I bought some today. Does anyone have a favorite way to use it?
TIA

Looking at the internet, this recipe sounded good to me. I may try it
if I can find watermelon with flavor this time of year.

Cucumber, Asian Pear, and Watermelon Salad with Ricotta Salata

2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled seedless cucumber
2 cups (1-inch) cubed seedless watermelon
2 cups halved red grapes
3/4 cup peeled, cubed Asian pear (about 1 pear)
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/3 cup (3 ounces) crumbled ricotta salata cheese (or feta)

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine sour cream,
honey, grated rind, juice, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a
whisk. Pour sour cream mixture over fruit mixture; toss well to coat.
Sprinkle with cheese.

Yield: 8 servings
(serving size: about 1 cup salad and 2 teaspoons cheese)

CALORIES 118 (34% from fat); FAT 4.4g (sat 2.8g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.1g);
IRON 0.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 17mg; CALCIUM 91mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.5g; SODIUM
130mg; PROTEIN 3.1g; FIBER 2.1g

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2008

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 1:20*am, sf > wrote:
> I bought some today. *Does anyone have a favorite way to use it?
> TIA
>
> Looking at the internet, this recipe sounded good to me. *I may try it
> if I can find watermelon with flavor this time of year.
>
> Cucumber, Asian Pear, and Watermelon Salad with Ricotta Salata
>
> 2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled seedless cucumber
> 2 cups (1-inch) cubed seedless watermelon
> 2 cups halved red grapes
> 3/4 cup peeled, cubed Asian pear (about 1 pear)
> 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
> 1 tablespoon honey
> 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime rind
> 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
> 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
> 1/3 cup (3 ounces) crumbled ricotta salata cheese (or feta)
>
> 1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. *Combine sour cream,
> honey, grated rind, juice, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a
> whisk. *Pour sour cream mixture over fruit mixture; toss well to coat.
> Sprinkle with cheese.
>
> Yield: *8 servings
> (serving size: about 1 cup salad and 2 teaspoons cheese)
>
> CALORIES 118 (34% from fat); FAT 4.4g (sat 2.8g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.1g);
> IRON 0.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 17mg; CALCIUM 91mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.5g; SODIUM
> 130mg; PROTEIN 3.1g; FIBER 2.1g
>
> Cooking Light, AUGUST 2008
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I've seen it used for salads, or pasta. Here's a recipe I've
earmarked to try, but haven't yet:

Orecchiette with Greens, Garbanzo Beans and Ricotta Salata
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Prep Time: 6 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 20 min Level:
Easy Serves:
4 to 6 servings Ingredients
1 pound orecchiette or other short pasta
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
12 ounces Swiss chard or mustard greens, stemmed
12 ounces baby spinach leaves
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups small cherry or grape tomatoes
8 ounces ricotta salata cheese, crumbled
2 teaspoons lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the
pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring
occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of
the pasta water.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic
and cook until fragrant and lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Using a
slotted spoon, remove the garlic and discard. Add the Swiss chard and
cook until wilted. In batches, add the spinach and cook until wilted.
Add the beans and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Add the pasta, 1/2 of the cheese, and lemon zest. Toss well and thin
out the sauce with a little pasta water, if needed.

Transfer to a large serving bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve.

Good luck with whatever you make,
Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:02:16 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>I've seen it used for salads, or pasta. Here's a recipe I've
>earmarked to try, but haven't yet:
>
>Orecchiette with Greens, Garbanzo Beans and Ricotta Salata
>Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Thanks for the memory jog, Kris! I think I watched that show and it
looked like something I'd try too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 12, 2:42*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:02:16 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> >I've seen it used for salads, or pasta. *Here's a recipe I've
> >earmarked to try, but haven't yet:

> >Orecchiette with Greens, Garbanzo Beans and Ricotta Salata
> >Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

> Thanks for the memory jog, Kris! *I think I watched that show and it
> looked like something I'd try too.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My pleasure.

It's rare that a Giada recipe DOESN'T tempt me.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2:42*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:02:16 -0700 (PDT), Kris
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > I've seen it used for salads, or pasta. *Here's a recipe I've
> > > earmarked to try, but haven't yet:

> > > Orecchiette with Greens, Garbanzo Beans and Ricotta Salata
> > > Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

> > Thanks for the memory jog, Kris! *I think I watched that show and it
> > looked like something I'd try too.
> >
> > --
> > I love cooking with wine.
> > Sometimes I even put it in the food.

> My pleasure.
>
> It's rare that a Giada recipe DOESN'T tempt me.

<http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/food_network/001570.php>

Brian

--
Day 130 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Carne salata vergellata The Bibliographer Historic 20 17-05-2009 04:04 PM
Ricotta Janet Bostwick General Cooking 5 26-11-2005 01:05 AM
Athenian Salata Vicki Beausoleil Diabetic 0 04-08-2005 11:42 PM
Ricotta Pie Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 21-02-2005 05:13 AM
Salata Lahano-Domates (Cabbage-Tomato Salad) 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2004 03:58 AM