Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheese - who sells dehydrated found in Mac & Cheese boxes?

Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
of Macaroni & Cheese?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Hun wrote:
> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>
> Thanks,

The Baker's Catalogue sells something like that:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...y=C292&id=1223

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sarah Gray" > wrote in message
t...
> The Hun wrote:
>> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
>> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> The Baker's Catalogue sells something like that:
>
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...y=C292&id=1223
>
> --
>
> Sarah Gray

If it is the same or similar product, at $13.90/lb it's an incredible
rip-off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Hun" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>
> Thanks,

I'd sure like to find that as well. I've been hunting for the same without
success. Kraft use to sell grated American cheese, the same as in the Mac
and Cheese product. Probably for economic reasons, they quit doing that. I
don't think anyone makes the same product at a decent price.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "The Hun" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
>> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> I'd sure like to find that as well. I've been hunting for the same without
> success. Kraft use to sell grated American cheese, the same as in the Mac
> and Cheese product. Probably for economic reasons, they quit doing that. I
> don't think anyone makes the same product at a decent price.
>
> Kent

Then type 'cheese powder' into your search engine and select the one you
prefer.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Hun > wrote in news:1193719444.506748.80370
@v29g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>
> Thanks,

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Cheese Topping

in a 3 oz 5 1/2" tall cylindrical container. They used to sell

Kraft American Cheese Food

in the same size/shape container but I think it was replaced by the above
label. I bought some several weeks ago in Wal-Mart.

--
I got used to my arthritis
To my denture I'm resigned

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 29, 11:44 pm, The Hun > wrote:
> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>
> Thanks,

There's no accounting for taste, I guess. I can't even force myself
to make Kraft Mac 'n Cheese for the grandkids; the odor alone makes me
gag.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
The Hun > wrote:

> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>
> Thanks,

You *might* find it at King Arthur Flour.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 29, 11:44 pm, The Hun > wrote:
>> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
>> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>>
>> Thanks,

> There's no accounting for taste, I guess. I can't even force myself
> to make Kraft Mac 'n Cheese for the grandkids; the odor alone makes me
> gag.
>
> N.

I like the flavor of Kraft powdered cheese. Although I think it tastes
fine, I don't usually make the mac and cheese according the instructions on
the box though. I prefer to use some of the powder as a binder and use
grated cheddar for a better flavor. Ironically, Kraft changed its process
for cheddar some time ago so that instead of melting over the macaroni, it
turns into a ball of rubber. The powdered cheese has an additive that makes
the cheese sauce stick to the pasta for a quick mac and cheese on the stove
top.

Not all powdered cheese is created equal. Kraft powdered cheese has a very
high content of cheese. They sell many flavors through its Kraft Food
Ingredients Corporation, but only to "food industry professionals." I heard
that their Macaroni and Cheese Topping has bit less cheese in it than the
stuff in the Macaroni and Cheese box.

Some brands of mac and cheese boxes are just awful. I would guess that they
have very little cheese in it.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:44:04 -0700, The Hun wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> > of Macaroni & Cheese?

> That's not really cheese - it's mostly whey. You can dry cheddar
> cheese and grind it up. Use it on popcorn, for example.
>
> -sw

NO, it's cheese. Otherwise it woul dbe called Macaroni and Whey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
The Hun > wrote:

> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> of Macaroni & Cheese?

Sure. Buy a box of it. Put the cheese in a shaker (or whatever). Use
the noodles in a casserole or whatever. We are talking cheap here. You
aren't going to be able to beat the price by buying the cheese
separately. This is what my father always did. He'd put it on popcorn
or whatever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Hun wrote:
> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>
> Thanks,

http://kingarthurflour.com has it in their catalog.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Hun" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> of Macaroni & Cheese?

Any store that has a bulk merchandise section, it's essentially just cheddar
cheese powder.

One example of such a store would be WinCo Foods, among any other stores
that have a bulk merchandise section.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 29, 9:44?pm, The Hun > wrote:
> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>
> Thanks,

Frontier spices have great jprices on herbs, spices, and other bulk
items.
http://www.frontiercoop.com/dspCmnPr...&br=Fro ntier.

This is for cheese powder rathr than cheese sauce powder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 29, 11:44 pm, The Hun > wrote:
> Does anyone know where we can buy the dehydrated cheese used in boxes
> of Macaroni & Cheese?
>
> Thanks,

This company Barry Farms makes some pretty good stuff and they sell
it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gr...Powder&x=0&y=0