Posted to alt.food.asian

Default General Tso's chicken

I have been making the recipe below thinking it was General Tso's chicken. I really like it but I am starting to wonder if it really is General Tso's Chicken after all. I have had this dish 2 other times in restaurants and it wasn't anywhere near the same. The restaurant version used a thin crispy breading and it was hot but really no sauce at all. Which is the real McCoy?

Tnx

Wayne

Ottawa ,ONT

General Tso's Chicken

1 lb boneless chicken

1 t minced garlic

1 T hot chili oil (optional)

3 red chili peppers ( dried chili peppers work fine)

Mixture 'A'

1/2 egg white

1 T cornstarch

1 T soy sauce

Mixture B

1 T hoisin sauce

1 T dark soy sauce (thick with a slight molasses smell)

2 T sugar

1/2 t salt

3 T chicken stock

3/4 T cornstarch

Cut chicken into 2" cubes and marinate in A.

Fry chicken until brown, drain and set aside. Discard oil.

Fry chili peppers briefly, then add garlic and chili oil and stir fry for 10 secs (careful not to breathe fumes).

Add B to wok and cook until thickened.

Add chicken and mix to re-heat.

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 May 2007 13:02:37 -0400, Wayne wrote:
>
>> I have been making the recipe below thinking it was General Tso's
>> chicken. I really like it but I am starting to wonder if it really is
>> General Tso's Chicken after all. I have had this dish 2 other times in
>> restaurants and it wasn't anywhere near the same. The restaurant version
>> used a thin crispy breading and it was hot but really no sauce at all.
>> Which is the real McCoy?

> [Fix your newsreader to that it wraps line properly]
>
> This is General's Chicken (and some background from a
> well-established author)
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/magazine/04food.t.html?ex=1328245200&en=166828055e4a18df&ei =5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss>
>
> -sw\

Thanks for your interesting reply.

I wonder where my version came from?

What is the matter with the line wrap? Is it too many characters wide for a
small or low res monitor? It all fits on my screen ok.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 May 2007 19:28:23 -0400, Wayne wrote:
>
>> What is the matter with the line wrap? Is it too many characters wide
>> for a
>> small or low res monitor? It all fits on my screen ok.

> Your first post had no carriage-returns in it, to seperate one
> line from the other. It may look fine on your screen, and on
> mine because mine word wraps also, but when somebody quoptes it,
> it comes out as one long line. As was shown in my original
> reply.
>
> -sw

I'm using Outlook express to edit my posts and I can't find any option that
says insert carriage return when word wrapping. Do you know where that
option would be?
Your reply quoting me word wrapped on my screen and didn't appear as a long
line. I don't recall ever seeing that before on any post.
Wayne

REC: General Tso's Chicken Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 74 09-05-2009 05:34 PM
General Tso's Chicken J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 13-07-2007 08:17 PM
General Tso's Chicken ian Asian Cooking 10 12-02-2007 11:33 PM
General Tso’s Chicken Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-10-2005 01:23 PM
GENERAL TAO'S CHICKEN Mike Tetrault General Cooking 10 13-04-2004 05:44 PM