Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Balsamic strawberries

Not a new idea, but maybe a reminder of an old favorite to some. Got
some good strawberries at the farmers market last week. Sliced them,
sprinkled a tiny bit of sugar over them, let sit for 15 minutes. Then
drizzled with a little bit (maybe 2 teaspoons for a pound of berries)
of balsamic vinegar. Let sit for an hour. So delicious. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote on Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:52:32 -0700 (PDT):

> Not a new idea, but maybe a reminder of an old favorite to
> some. Got some good strawberries at the farmers market last
> week. Sliced them, sprinkled a tiny bit of sugar over them,
> let sit for 15 minutes. Then drizzled with a little bit
> (maybe 2 teaspoons for a pound of berries) of balsamic
> vinegar. Let sit for an hour. So delicious. -aem

A number of my friends like that but I decided, after a few tries, that
I did not. It is obviously just a matter of personal taste and I am not
criticizing.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

James Silverton wrote:

> A number of my friends like that but I decided, after a few tries, that
> I did not. It is obviously just a matter of personal taste and I am not
> criticizing.

Bob loves it, too. I'm sort of on the fence with it. I can say that the
quality of the balsamic makes a huge difference in the taste. Bob has a
small bottle of some bazillion-year old high end stuff that is good on
them -- a couple drops goes a long way. I like the strawberries when he
uses that, but I can take 'em or leave 'em with the regular stuff.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 10:52*am, aem > wrote:
> Not a new idea, but maybe a reminder of an old favorite to some. *Got
> some good strawberries at the farmers market last week. *Sliced them,
> sprinkled a tiny bit of sugar over them, let sit for 15 minutes. *Then
> drizzled with a little bit (maybe 2 teaspoons for a pound of berries)
> of balsamic vinegar. *Let sit for an hour. *So delicious. * *-aem

If you don't have the expensive aged balsamic vinegar, try reducing a
reasonably good regular balsamic vinegar (I but Balsamic from Costco)
to a syrupy consistency before drizzling it onto the strawberries.
It's also delicious on plain baked/roasted chicken, or on top of ice
cream.
-mickey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Not a new idea, but maybe a reminder of an old favorite to some. Got
> some good strawberries at the farmers market last week. Sliced them,
> sprinkled a tiny bit of sugar over them, let sit for 15 minutes. Then
> drizzled with a little bit (maybe 2 teaspoons for a pound of berries)
> of balsamic vinegar. Let sit for an hour. So delicious.

I'm determined to go strawberry picking this year, and I have
some nice balsamic vinegar that my sil bought for us. I'll have
to remember this in June.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:52:32 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>Not a new idea, but maybe a reminder of an old favorite to some. Got
>some good strawberries at the farmers market last week. Sliced them,
>sprinkled a tiny bit of sugar over them, let sit for 15 minutes. Then
>drizzled with a little bit (maybe 2 teaspoons for a pound of berries)
>of balsamic vinegar. Let sit for an hour. So delicious. -aem

After the above treatment, and just before serving, give 'em a grind
or two of black pepper. That's how we like them.
But, that won't be 'till about mid-June when we can pick our own
strawberries.

Ross.