Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anybody got a super-easy recipe for hot cross buns?

I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
with it too much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" ha scritto nel messaggio
> I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't> know
> if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of> the
> bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
> with it too much.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1745.asp
has the recipe I use. If you use a food processor you will only need to
touch the dough when kneading in the fruits and when forming the buns. If
you use dough hooks, you only need to touch it when forming them.

I make them because this was a remembered passion of childhood and the
nearest one to Italy are in England.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 22:28:46 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

>I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
>know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
>the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
>with it too much.

Don't even think about it. You don't want to end up with persistent
dermatitis. It is too high a price to pay for hot cross buns. Just
come and visit us at the right time of year instead and I will make
sure you get plenty.

--
Heather
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 9:28*pm, Kajikit > wrote:
> I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
> know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
> the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
> with it too much.

At "one a penny" or especially at "two a penny," I think it'd be
cheaper to just buy them.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Heather wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 22:28:46 -0400, Kajikit >
> wrote:
>
>> I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
>> know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
>> the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
>> with it too much.

> Don't even think about it. You don't want to end up with persistent
> dermatitis. It is too high a price to pay for hot cross buns. Just
> come and visit us at the right time of year instead and I will make
> sure you get plenty.

Given the above, I bet one could tinker with frozen bread dough
and achieve something that is still much better than the
store-bought ones.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 03:50:48 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>On Apr 6, 9:28*pm, Kajikit > wrote:
>> I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
>> know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
>> the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
>> with it too much.

>At "one a penny" or especially at "two a penny," I think it'd be
>cheaper to just buy them.

Bah humbug! I saw some in Albertsons that looked like the real deal -
and they were $5 for six buns! The ones in Publix are cheaper but they
don't taste right so I only bought them once. A hot cross bun is not
just raisin bread with icing on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." ha scritto nel messaggio >
Heather wrote:
Kajikit wrote:

>>> I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
>>> know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of>>
>>> the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
>>> with it too much.

>> Don't even think about it. You don't want to end up with persistent>>
>> dermatitis. It is too high a price to pay for hot cross buns. Just>> come
>> and visit us at the right time of year instead and I will make>> sure you
>> get plenty.
>>

> Given the above, I bet one could tinker with frozen bread dough > and
> achieve something that is still much better than the > store-bought ones.

> Jean B.

You'd still have to handle the dough, and maybe more than using a FP or
dough hooks. And it would be missing the spices. Doesn't anybody use those
throwaway surgical gloves?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Jean B." ha scritto nel messaggio >
> Heather wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't even think about it. You don't want to end up with persistent>>
>>> dermatitis. It is too high a price to pay for hot cross buns. Just>> come
>>> and visit us at the right time of year instead and I will make>> sure you
>>> get plenty.
>>>

>> Given the above, I bet one could tinker with frozen bread dough > and
>> achieve something that is still much better than the > store-bought ones.

>> Jean B.

> You'd still have to handle the dough, and maybe more than using a FP or
> dough hooks. And it would be missing the spices. Doesn't anybody use those
> throwaway surgical gloves?

I have seen recipes that add spices etc. to bread dough, and that
seems mandatory to me. In fact, I took a quick peek at a site for
frozen bread dough and rejected the one recipe they had,, because
it only had raisins pressed into the dough and an application of
icing.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
>know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
>the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
>with it too much.

Get a box of those plastic gloves to wear. DD has eczema and has to
use them.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B."
> I have seen recipes that add spices etc. to bread dough, and that > seems
> mandatory to me. In fact, I took a quick peek at a site for > frozen
> bread dough and rejected the one recipe they had,, because it only had
> raisins pressed into the dough and an application of > icing.
> Jean B.

Urp. Have a look at the link I posted. It's really good and not at all
difficult. Hot cress buns are not just sweet bread and they are worth the
trouble, IMO. I miss them this year because I am on a strict diet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 09:09:37 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Heather wrote:
>> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 22:28:46 -0400, Kajikit >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
>>> know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
>>> the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
>>> with it too much.

>> Don't even think about it. You don't want to end up with persistent
>> dermatitis. It is too high a price to pay for hot cross buns. Just
>> come and visit us at the right time of year instead and I will make
>> sure you get plenty.
>>

>Given the above, I bet one could tinker with frozen bread dough
>and achieve something that is still much better than the
>store-bought ones.

Interesting... I didn't get the original posting even though my mother
wrote it! lol And no, going to Australia won't give me hot cross buns
to take to church on Sunday!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 07:18:50 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 22:28:46 -0400, Kajikit >
>wrote:
>
>>I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
>>know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
>>the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
>>with it too much.

Here is the recipe that I posted on rec.baking 04/04/09. This is
about as simple as it gets, but you might gloves from your local deli
department...all the grocery clerks MUST wear them.

A traditional favorite has rolled around this beautiful spring.

Hot Cross Buns
Yield 4 dozen

2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
1 cup warm milk (100° to 110°)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup raisins
Sugar Glaze

Preparation

Combine yeast and 1/2 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl; let stand
5 minutes. Add warm milk and next 5 ingredients. Beat at medium speed
with an electric mixer until blended.

Combine flour and cinnamon, and gradually add to yeast mixture,
beating at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in raisins.

Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.

Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 hours or
until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down; cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from
drafts, 30 minutes.

Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and roll to 1/2-inch
thickness. Cut with a 2-inch round cutter.

Place on a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Cover and let
rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until
doubled in bulk.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly
browned. Let rolls cool 10 minutes. Pipe Sugar Glaze over rolls in an
"X" shape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Jean B." ha scritto nel messaggio >
> Heather wrote:

>>> Don't even think about it. You don't want to end up with persistent>>
>>> dermatitis. It is too high a price to pay for hot cross buns. Just>>
>>> come and visit us at the right time of year instead and I will make>>
>>> sure you get plenty.
>>>

>> Given the above, I bet one could tinker with frozen bread dough > and
>> achieve something that is still much better than the > store-bought ones.

>> Jean B.

> You'd still have to handle the dough, and maybe more than using a FP or
> dough hooks. And it would be missing the spices. Doesn't anybody use
> those throwaway surgical gloves?

That was my first thought as I use those gloves for some things. I have
never tried with dough because I figured I wouldn't get the "right" feel
when kneading. It would be a simple thing to try I suppose but it was never
important enough to me to bother.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 15:41:30 -0400, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 07:18:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 22:28:46 -0400, Kajikit >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
>>>know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
>>>the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
>>>with it too much.

>Here is the recipe that I posted on rec.baking 04/04/09. This is
>about as simple as it gets, but you might gloves from your local deli
>department...all the grocery clerks MUST wear them.
>
>A traditional favorite has rolled around this beautiful spring.
>

>Hot Cross Buns
>Yield 4 dozen
>
> 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
> 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
> 1 cup warm milk (100° to 110°)
> 1/2 cup butter, softened
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3 large eggs
> 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
> 5 cups all-purpose flour
> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
> 1 cup raisins
> Sugar Glaze
>
>Preparation
>
>Combine yeast and 1/2 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl; let stand
>5 minutes. Add warm milk and next 5 ingredients. Beat at medium speed
>with an electric mixer until blended.
>
>Combine flour and cinnamon, and gradually add to yeast mixture,
>beating at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in raisins.
>
>Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
>
>Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 hours or
>until doubled in bulk.
>
>Punch dough down; cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from
>drafts, 30 minutes.
>
>Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and roll to 1/2-inch
>thickness. Cut with a 2-inch round cutter.
>
>Place on a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Cover and let
>rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until
>doubled in bulk.
>
>Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly
>browned. Let rolls cool 10 minutes. Pipe Sugar Glaze over rolls in an
>"X" shape.

Thank you! This recipe sounds great and it involves very little
handling of the actual dough so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem...
Do you get the yeast at the grocery store?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 16:35:03 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

>Thank you! This recipe sounds great and it involves very little
>handling of the actual dough so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem...
>Do you get the yeast at the grocery store?

No...I use Fleishman's Instant yeast in one pound bags from Sam's.
Grocery store yeast is too expensive.

It is also available on line at

http://www.wineandcake.com/browse.cfm/4,5730.html

I keep it in the freezer....lasts up to a year...but I use about a
pound every six months.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 22:28:46 -0400, Kajikit >
> wrote:
>
>>I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
>>know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
>>the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
>>with it too much.

> Get a box of those plastic gloves to wear. DD has eczema and has to
> use them.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Wine Improves with age. The older I get the better it tastes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:23:22 -0600, "boulanger" > wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
>
>> --
>> I love cooking with wine.
>> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

>Wine Improves with age. The older I get the better it tastes!

Heh! I knew I liked you. Now I know why.

--
Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else
to hold them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message

> Here is the recipe that I posted on rec.baking 04/04/09. This is
> about as simple as it gets, but you might gloves from your local deli
> department...all the grocery clerks MUST wear them.
>
> A traditional favorite has rolled around this beautiful spring.
>

> Hot Cross Buns
> Yield 4 dozen
>
> 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
> 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
> 1 cup warm milk (100° to 110°)
> 1/2 cup butter, softened
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3 large eggs
> 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
> 5 cups all-purpose flour
> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
> 1 cup raisins
> Sugar Glaze
>
> Preparation
>
> Combine yeast and 1/2 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl; let stand
> 5 minutes. Add warm milk and next 5 ingredients. Beat at medium speed
> with an electric mixer until blended.
>
> Combine flour and cinnamon, and gradually add to yeast mixture,
> beating at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in raisins.
>
> Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
>
> Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 hours or
> until doubled in bulk.
>
> Punch dough down; cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from
> drafts, 30 minutes.
>
> Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and roll to 1/2-inch
> thickness. Cut with a 2-inch round cutter.
>
> Place on a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Cover and let
> rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until
> doubled in bulk.
>
> Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly
> browned. Let rolls cool 10 minutes. Pipe Sugar Glaze over rolls in an
> "X" shape.

Recipe sounds delicious. I might recommend though replacing some or all of
the raisins with dried currants. It seems to me that the HCBs I had as a
child had currants in them.

Thinking on it further I seem to remember that sometimes they had candied
fruit in them -- the same as in fruitcake, but cut smaller. Instead of a
cup of raisins I think I might try 1/2 cup of golden raisins, a quarter cup
of dried currants, and a quarter cup of candied citron, diced small.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> I'd love to make some... but I don't know how to make bread! I don't
> know if it's possible to make hot cross buns with minimal handling of
> the bread dough? Raw yeast irritates my skin so I don't want to mess
> with it too much.

Simple recipes see below;

Dimitri

1 (13 3/4 oz.) pkg. hot roll mix
1/4 c. chopped green glace cherries
1/4 c. chopped red glace cherries
1 1/4 c. sifted confectioners' sugar
5 tsp. milk
1 (8 oz.) jar red stemmed maraschino
cherries

Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions, adding chopped
cherries. Shape into 1 1/2-inch balls after rising; place on greased baking
sheets. Let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk; cut deep cross in
each bun with scissors. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or until
golden brown; cool slightly. Combine sugar and milk; mix until smooth. Pour
into crosses; top with whole cherries

# 2

1 (1 lb.) loaf frozen white bread
dough, thawed
1/2 c. raisins
2 tbsp. finely chopped candied citron
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
Confectioners' Icing (recipe follows)

Cover dough; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled. Flatten
dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Sprinkle with raisins, citron, and spices.
Roll up; knead lightly to distribute fruit and spices. Divide in 12 equal
pieces. Shape each in a ball. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie
sheet. Cover loosely; let rise until doubled. Brush with butter. Bake in
preheated 400 degree oven, 12 to 15 minutes until tops are browned and firm.
Form cross on each with icing. Serve warm. Makes 12. Per bun: 186 cal, 3
g pro, 32 g car, 5 g fat, 13 mg chol with butter, 1 mg chol with margarine,
247 mg sod

Confectioners' Icing: In small bowl, stir 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, 1
teaspoon milk, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until smooth.

# 3

1 pkg. hot roll mix
2 tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
2 tbsp. light seedless raisins
2 tbsp. chopped candied fruits and peels
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions, adding butter,
raisins, fruit and peels, sugar and spices to flour mixture; mix well.
Cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm place until double (about 1
hour). Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape
in 12 buns. Place on highly greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until
almost double (about 45 minutes). Using sharp scissors (or knife) snip top
of buns to form shallow cross. If a glaze is desired, brush with slightly
beaten egg white. Bake in a moderate oven at 375 degrees for about 15
minutes or until done. Cool slightly, fill crosses with confectioners'
sugar icing. Makes 12

# 4

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/4 c. raisins
1 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. sugar
2 pkg. buttermilk biscuits (refrigerator)
1 egg white

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a tin plate or a cake pan. In
blender puree cream cheese, egg and sugar. Stir in raisins; set aside.
Press two biscuits together; flatten on bread board. Spoon cheese-raisins
filling into center of dough. Pull corners together over filling and pinch
corners to seal. Arrange buns in pie plates. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Add
powdered sugar slowly to egg whites (beaten). Spread on top of buns in
shape of cross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 08 Apr 2009 10:32:31a, Anny Middon told us...

That's a good change, Anny!

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

REC: Hot Cross buns PLucas[_8_] General Cooking 3 07-04-2010 09:46 PM
Hot Cross Buns Mr. Bill[_2_] Baking 0 04-04-2009 12:35 PM
Recipe: Easy Sticky Buns Chris Marksberry[_2_] General Cooking 4 08-02-2009 06:14 PM
Hot Cross Buns floydm Baking 2 24-03-2005 07:15 PM
Hot Cross Buns Cora H Parry General Cooking 6 15-03-2004 05:19 AM