Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Hot Cross buns

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22254/hot+cross+buns

I couldn't be arsed this year, so this afternoon I pre ordered a dozen from
my local baker, to be picked up 0630hrs Sat morning, virtually straight out
of the oven.

It works for me!!

:-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hot Cross buns

PLucas wrote:
> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22254/hot+cross+buns
>

> I couldn't be arsed this year, so this afternoon I pre ordered a
> dozen from my local baker, to be picked up 0630hrs Sat morning,
> virtually straight out of the oven.
>
> It works for me!!
>
> :-)

It sure works better than that recipe, which calls three times for caster
sugar:

a.. 1 tsp caster sugar
a.. ...
a.. 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
a.. ...
a.. 2 tbs caster sugar

--
Vilco
Don't think pink: drink rosč

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in -
september.org:

> PLucas wrote:
>> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22254/hot+cross+buns
>>

>> I couldn't be arsed this year, so this afternoon I pre ordered a
>> dozen from my local baker, to be picked up 0630hrs Sat morning,
>> virtually straight out of the oven.
>>
>> It works for me!!
>>
>> :-)

> It sure works better than that recipe, which calls three times for caster
> sugar:
>
> a.. 1 tsp caster sugar
> a.. ...
> a.. 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
> a.. ...
> a.. 2 tbs caster sugar

It's a simple enough recipe to follow Vilco ....... all you have to do is
read it.

There are three steps where you have to use sugar. All are separate from the
others.

Method

1.

Make the dough: Whisk yeast, sugar and the 3/4 cup of warm milk in a
jug. Set aside for 10 minutes or until frothy. Whisk in the 1/2 cup of cold
milk, butter and egg. Combine flour, dried fruit, sugar, mixed spice and salt
in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture. Use a wooden
spoon to stir until combined then use your hands to bring the dough together
in the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes
or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic
wrap. Set aside to prove for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
2.

Shape the buns: Punch down the centre of the dough with your fist.
Knead on a lightly floured surface for 2 minutes. Shape into 12 even
portions. Brush a 16 x 26cm (base measurement) slab pan with melted butter to
grease. Place portions side by side in the prepared pan. Cover with a clean
tea towel. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place to prove for 30 minutes or
until doubled in size.
3.

Bake and decorate: Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine flour and water to
make a paste. Place in a sealable plastic bag. Cut 1 corner from the bag to
make a 2mm hole. Pipe crosses onto the buns. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven
temperature to 160°C. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Meanwhile, sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar
dissolves. Simmer until the glaze thickens. Transfer buns to a wire rack.
Brush tops with glaze. Set aside to cool slightly.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PLucas@home" > wrote in
:

> "ViLco" > wrote in -
> september.org:
>
>> PLucas wrote:
>>> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22254/hot+cross+buns
>>>

>>> I couldn't be arsed this year, so this afternoon I pre ordered a
>>> dozen from my local baker, to be picked up 0630hrs Sat morning,
>>> virtually straight out of the oven.
>>>
>>> It works for me!!
>>>
>>> :-)

>> It sure works better than that recipe, which calls three times for
>> caster sugar:
>>
>> a.. 1 tsp caster sugar
>> a.. ...
>> a.. 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
>> a.. ...
>> a.. 2 tbs caster sugar
>>

> It's a simple enough recipe to follow Vilco ....... all you have to do
> is read it.
>
> There are three steps where you have to use sugar. All are separate from
> the others.

(I'll even break it down for you.............)

> Method
>
> 1.
>
> Make the dough: Whisk yeast, sugar and the 3/4 cup of warm milk in a
> jug.

(snip)

> Set aside for 10 minutes or until frothy. Whisk in the 1/2 cup of
> cold milk, butter and egg. Combine flour, dried fruit, sugar, mixed
> spice and salt in a bowl.

(snip)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Hot Cross Buns International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 17-10-2006 01:54 AM
Hot Cross Buns Tim Recipes 0 07-06-2005 01:23 AM
Hot Cross Buns floydm Baking 2 24-03-2005 07:15 PM
Hot Cross Buns Duckie ® Recipes 0 21-03-2005 11:28 PM
Hot Cross Buns Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-03-2005 12:47 PM