floydm

Default Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/modules/...php?storyid=31

Makes 1 dozen buns

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 cup sugar
1 cup warm (90-100 degrees) milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons instant (bread machine) yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins, currants, or dried fruit
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

Egg wash:
1 egg

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and
spices. Add the warm milk and butter and mix until all ingredients are
combined. Add a little flour or milk until you achieve the proper
consistency, which is moist enough that all of the ingredients stick
together but dry enough that you can knead the dough without it
sticking to your hands. I had to add a couple of tablespoons of flour
to get to this consistency, but depending on the humidity in your area
and how tightly packed your cups of flour are, your may need to add
more or less.

Pour the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes.
Flatten the dough and pour the raisins or currants on top and press
them into the dough. Work the dough until the raisins are well mixed
in. Return the dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and
allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the dough has doubled in size.

When it has risen, pour the dough out onto a cutting board and divide
into 12 pieces. Roll the pieces into balls and place on a greased
baking surface (I used a 9 x 13 Pyrex pan). Cover the pan and allow to
rise until they double in size again, typically 45 minutes to 1 hour.

While the buns are rising, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. When the
buns are ready to bake, scramble the egg in a bowl and brush some over
the top of the buns. Then put the buns in the oven and bake at 425 for
15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 5 or 10 minutes.

While the buns are cooling, make the glaze by combining the lemon juice
with the powdered sugar (you can also use orange juice, milk, or water
if you don't have lemon juice around). Use a pastry bag, a spoon, or a
knife to paint the crosses on top of the buns. Eat while still hot.

MOMPEAGRAM

I baked these today and am in the process of posting the pictures on my
site. I did skip the glaze, as we aren't fond of it.

"floydm" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hot Cross Buns
> http://www.thefreshloaf.com/modules/...php?storyid=31
> gl
> Makes 1 dozen buns
>
> 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
> 1/8 cup sugar
> 1 cup warm (90-100 degrees) milk
> 2 tablespoons melted butter
> 2 teaspoons instant (bread machine) yeast
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 cup raisins, currants, or dried fruit
> 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
> 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
>
> Egg wash:
> 1 egg
>
> Glaze:
> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
>

> In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and
> spices. Add the warm milk and butter and mix until all ingredients are
> combined. Add a little flour or milk until you achieve the proper
> consistency, which is moist enough that all of the ingredients stick
> together but dry enough that you can knead the dough without it
> sticking to your hands. I had to add a couple of tablespoons of flour
> to get to this consistency, but depending on the humidity in your area
> and how tightly packed your cups of flour are, your may need to add
> more or less.
>
> Pour the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes.
> Flatten the dough and pour the raisins or currants on top and press
> them into the dough. Work the dough until the raisins are well mixed
> in. Return the dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and
> allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the dough has doubled in size.
>
> When it has risen, pour the dough out onto a cutting board and divide
> into 12 pieces. Roll the pieces into balls and place on a greased
> baking surface (I used a 9 x 13 Pyrex pan). Cover the pan and allow to
> rise until they double in size again, typically 45 minutes to 1 hour.
>
> While the buns are rising, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. When the
> buns are ready to bake, scramble the egg in a bowl and brush some over
> the top of the buns. Then put the buns in the oven and bake at 425 for
> 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 5 or 10 minutes.
>
> While the buns are cooling, make the glaze by combining the lemon juice
> with the powdered sugar (you can also use orange juice, milk, or water
> if you don't have lemon juice around). Use a pastry bag, a spoon, or a
> knife to paint the crosses on top of the buns. Eat while still hot.

MOMPEAGRAM

I made these today and they turned out super! You can see the pictures at
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/YEASTBREADS.html near bottom of page.

"floydm" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hot Cross Buns
> http://www.thefreshloaf.com/modules/...php?storyid=31
>
> Makes 1 dozen buns
>
> 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
> 1/8 cup sugar
> 1 cup warm (90-100 degrees) milk
> 2 tablespoons melted butter
> 2 teaspoons instant (bread machine) yeast
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 cup raisins, currants, or dried fruit
> 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
> 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
>
> Egg wash:
> 1 egg
>
> Glaze:
> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
> 1 tablespoon lemon juice
>

> In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and
> spices. Add the warm milk and butter and mix until all ingredients are
> combined. Add a little flour or milk until you achieve the proper
> consistency, which is moist enough that all of the ingredients stick
> together but dry enough that you can knead the dough without it
> sticking to your hands. I had to add a couple of tablespoons of flour
> to get to this consistency, but depending on the humidity in your area
> and how tightly packed your cups of flour are, your may need to add
> more or less.
>
> Pour the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes.
> Flatten the dough and pour the raisins or currants on top and press
> them into the dough. Work the dough until the raisins are well mixed
> in. Return the dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and
> allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the dough has doubled in size.
>
> When it has risen, pour the dough out onto a cutting board and divide
> into 12 pieces. Roll the pieces into balls and place on a greased
> baking surface (I used a 9 x 13 Pyrex pan). Cover the pan and allow to
> rise until they double in size again, typically 45 minutes to 1 hour.
>
> While the buns are rising, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. When the
> buns are ready to bake, scramble the egg in a bowl and brush some over
> the top of the buns. Then put the buns in the oven and bake at 425 for
> 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 5 or 10 minutes.
>
> While the buns are cooling, make the glaze by combining the lemon juice
> with the powdered sugar (you can also use orange juice, milk, or water
> if you don't have lemon juice around). Use a pastry bag, a spoon, or a
> knife to paint the crosses on top of the buns. Eat while still hot.

REC: Hot Cross buns PLucas[_8_] General Cooking 3 07-04-2010 09:46 PM
Hot Cross Buns International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 17-10-2006 01:54 AM
Hot Cross Buns Tim Recipes 0 07-06-2005 01:23 AM
Hot Cross Buns Duckie ® Recipes 0 21-03-2005 11:28 PM
Hot Cross Buns Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-03-2005 12:47 PM