Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Dressing recipe

Does anyone have a recipe for the American version of French Dressing? No
restaurant has it any more; it was the standard when I was a kid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gil Faver" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a recipe for the American version of French Dressing? No
> restaurant has it any more; it was the standard when I was a kid.

It was made with tomato soup;

Search recipes by title or ingredient :
campbell's tomato french dressing

MeasureIngredient
1 can(10 3/4 oz) Campbell's
Condensed Tomato Soup
½ cupSalad oil
¼ cupVinegar
½ teaspoonDry mustard --VARIATION ADDITIONS---
4 slicesBacon, cooked and crumbled
Or
¼ cupCrumbled blue cheese
Or
1 mediumClove garlic, minced
Or
¼ cupSweet pickle relish

In covered jar or shaker, combine ingredients; shake well before using (or
mix in electric blender). Add any one of the 'variation' ingredients if
desired to branch out into something new. This dressing appeared on
Campbell's Tomato Soup cans back before World War II, and was taken from the
1979 edition of "Best Recipes From The Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and
Jars".

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gil Faver" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a recipe for the American version of French Dressing? No
> restaurant has it any more; it was the standard when I was a kid.

When I arrived in Canada, I was taken out to dinner by my new boss and
ordered French dressing with my salad, expecting a simple vinaigrette. The
gunk they served was an eye-opener and one of many "cultural" surprises in
the weeks that followed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:44:41 GMT, "Gil Faver" >
wrote:

>Does anyone have a recipe for the American version of French Dressing? No
>restaurant has it any more; it was the standard when I was a kid.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...a my+french+d

I liked Russian dressing on my salad when I was a kid too. Who hears
about it today unless it's dressing a Reuben?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:39:08 -0700:

>> Does anyone have a recipe for the American version of French
>> Dressing? No restaurant has it any more; it was the standard
>> when I was a kid.
>>

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...a my+french+d

> I liked Russian dressing on my salad when I was a kid too.
> Who hears about it today unless it's dressing a Reuben?

I still like it and not just on Reubens ! It's very easy to make
starting with store-bought mayonnaise.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Gil Faver" > wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe for the American version of French Dressing? No
> restaurant has it any more; it was the standard when I was a kid.

I wonder if that's a change in taste, or whether it's just a regional
thing?

Sorry, I don't have a recipe. I used to have one, but it was made with
canned tomato soup. I think I lost it on purpose!

There's also a possibility that the name has changed. Have you looked
for "Freedom Dressing"?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel said...

> In article >,
> "Gil Faver" > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a recipe for the American version of French Dressing?
>> No restaurant has it any more; it was the standard when I was a kid.

> I wonder if that's a change in taste, or whether it's just a regional
> thing?
>
> Sorry, I don't have a recipe. I used to have one, but it was made with
> canned tomato soup. I think I lost it on purpose!
>
> There's also a possibility that the name has changed. Have you looked
> for "Freedom Dressing"?

rfc being what it is, I'm not surprised over the clamor for such a simplistic
salad dressing recipe!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Dan Abel said...
>
>> In article >,
>> "Gil Faver" > wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have a recipe for the American version of French Dressing?
>>> No restaurant has it any more; it was the standard when I was a kid.

>> I wonder if that's a change in taste, or whether it's just a regional
>> thing?
>>
>> Sorry, I don't have a recipe. I used to have one, but it was made with
>> canned tomato soup. I think I lost it on purpose!
>>
>> There's also a possibility that the name has changed. Have you looked
>> for "Freedom Dressing"?

> rfc being what it is, I'm not surprised over the clamor for such a
> simplistic
> salad dressing recipe!
>
> Andy

Every bottled salad dressing purveyer in the US offers the same "French
Dressing", it's that bright lurid orange goop... I love it on wedges of
iceberg.

http://tinyurl.com/cyum6n

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetai...www.amazon.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> Dan Abel said...

>>> I wonder if that's a change in taste, or whether it's just a regional
>>> thing?
>>>
>>> Sorry, I don't have a recipe. I used to have one, but it was made
>>> with canned tomato soup. I think I lost it on purpose!
>>>
>>> There's also a possibility that the name has changed. Have you looked
>>> for "Freedom Dressing"?

>> rfc being what it is, I'm not surprised over the clamor for such a
>> simplistic
>> salad dressing recipe!
>>
>> Andy

> Every bottled salad dressing purveyer in the US offers the same "French
> Dressing", it's that bright lurid orange goop... I love it on wedges of
> iceberg.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cyum6n
>
> http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetai...kraft+french+d
> ressing&img=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41O2w59MMJL
> ._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-6%2CTopRight%2C0%2C0_AA280_SH20_.jpg&site=&host=ht
> tp%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FKraft-Dressing-16-Ounce-Plastic-Bottles%2Fdp%
> 2FB000E1HVYS&width=114&height=114&thumbUrl=http%3A %2F%2Fimages-partners-t
> bn.google.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AMXpf_vD3rK0z3M% 3Aecx.images-amazon.com
> %2Fimages%2FI%2F41O2w59MMJL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-6%2CTopRight%2C0%2C0_AA
> 280_SH20_.jpg&b=image%3Fq%3Dkraft%2520french%2520d ressing&imgHeight=280&i
> mgWidth=280&imgTitle=%3Cb%3EKraft%3C%2Fb%3E+Creamy +%3Cb%3EFrench%3C%2Fb%3
> E+%3Cb%3EDressing%3C%2Fb%3E%2C+...&imgSize=12786&h ostName=www.amazon.com

brooklyn1,

Good grief!!! When my leg becomes unbroken I'm gonna kick your ass for
that!!!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...

> brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> "Andy" > wrote in message

>> > Dan Abel said...

>> > rfc being what it is, I'm not surprised over the clamor for such a
>> > simplistic
>> > salad dressing recipe!
>> >
>> > Andy

>> Every bottled salad dressing purveyer in the US offers the same "French
>> Dressing", it's that bright lurid orange goop... I love it on wedges of
>> iceberg.

> When I was a kid that was the dressing we used, haven't had it in years
> but
> I can still remember the initial "taste shock" when it eating it...
>
> I eschew it but my mom still likes it, sent her a coupla bottles of it
> recently when I sent her a "care" package (I send her a care package or
> two
> every month, stuff like good coffee and chocolate and spices and jams and
> snick - snacks and such, she lives in a rural area and the lone grocery
> store is so dire that even Progresso canned soup in that neck 'o the woods
> is an expensive and rare gore - may treat. She likes Progresso, so I send
> her some of that, too. I have fun putting these packages together, and
> she
> being elderly and living alone getting a package in the mail brightens her
> day, too. ).

I wish Progresso still made eggplant caponata. When I called to complain
about there pea soup I asked and was told it was discontinued years ago. I
suggested they bring it back but I doubt they will.Eggplant caponata was
sold in little ti8ns like tomato paste tins, and even way back was kinda
expensive, like near $2 each... I bet more got lifted by store emplyees than
was sold. When I was a kid about 12 I delivered groceries for a
neighborhood mom/pop in Brooklyn with one of those 200 lb balloon tired
truck bikes. When it was food deliver time the cartons were shot down teh
basement on a chute from one of those steel sidealk doors. My job was to
stack the cartons, it was a back breaking job. The owners were cheap beyond
belief, they wouldn't even offer me a soda, I had to pay and they charged
more than the corner candy store. So sometimes while down the cellar I'd
pop the lid on a jar of vanilla pudding baby food. After many months
somehow they discovered my stash of empty jars, mabe like a dozen, I got
fired. A few weeks later they wanted me back, no way.... they never
realized what a great deal they had... they paid me only 50¢/hr plus a few
jars of pudding a month. In those days baby food cost like 5¢ a jar... I
could easly been eating a lot more costly fare

> Another dressing I remember from kidhood is Henri's Tas-tee, I still like
> that...

During winter I buy an assortment of bottled dressings. But once my garden
produce starts coming in I mostly make my own dressings, I like oriental
flavored, light dressings with toasted sesame seed oil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Andy" > wrote in message

> > Dan Abel said...

> >> I wonder if that's a change in taste, or whether it's just a regional
> >> thing?
> >>
> >> Sorry, I don't have a recipe. I used to have one, but it was made with
> >> canned tomato soup. I think I lost it on purpose!
> >>
> >> There's also a possibility that the name has changed. Have you looked
> >> for "Freedom Dressing"?

> > rfc being what it is, I'm not surprised over the clamor for such a
> > simplistic
> > salad dressing recipe!
> >
> > Andy

> Every bottled salad dressing purveyer in the US offers the same "French
> Dressing", it's that bright lurid orange goop... I love it on wedges of
> iceberg.

When I was a kid that was the dressing we used, haven't had it in years but
I can still remember the initial "taste shock" when it eating it...

I eschew it but my mom still likes it, sent her a coupla bottles of it
recently when I sent her a "care" package (I send her a care package or two
every month, stuff like good coffee and chocolate and spices and jams and
snick - snacks and such, she lives in a rural area and the lone grocery
store is so dire that even Progresso canned soup in that neck 'o the woods
is an expensive and rare gore - may treat. She likes Progresso, so I send
her some of that, too. I have fun putting these packages together, and she
being elderly and living alone getting a package in the mail brightens her
day, too. ).

Another dressing I remember from kidhood is Henri's Tas-tee, I still like
that...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:03:52 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

> When it was food deliver time the cartons were shot down teh
> basement on a chute from one of those steel sidealk doors. My job was to
> stack the cartons, it was a back breaking job. The owners were cheap beyond
> belief, they wouldn't even offer me a soda, I had to pay and they charged
> more than the corner candy store. So sometimes while down the cellar I'd
> pop the lid on a jar of vanilla pudding baby food. After many months
> somehow they discovered my stash of empty jars, mabe like a dozen, I got
> fired. A few weeks later they wanted me back, no way.... they never
> realized what a great deal they had... they paid me only 50¢/hr plus a few
> jars of pudding a month. In those days baby food cost like 5¢ a jar... I
> could easly been eating a lot more costly fare

how typical of you to pat yourself on the back for not stealing more
expensive stuff.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:03:52 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> When it was food deliver time the cartons were shot down teh
>> basement on a chute from one of those steel sidealk doors. My job was to
>> stack the cartons, it was a back breaking job. The owners were cheap
>> beyond
>> belief, they wouldn't even offer me a soda, I had to pay and they charged
>> more than the corner candy store. So sometimes while down the cellar I'd
>> pop the lid on a jar of vanilla pudding baby food. After many months
>> somehow they discovered my stash of empty jars, mabe like a dozen, I got
>> fired. A few weeks later they wanted me back, no way.... they never
>> realized what a great deal they had... they paid me only 50¢/hr plus a
>> few
>> jars of pudding a month. In those days baby food cost like 5¢ a jar... I
>> could easly been eating a lot more costly fare
>>

> how typical of you to pat yourself on the back for not stealing more
> expensive stuff.
>
> blake

That is ripe coming from the useless mick... yoose know all about stealing
more expensive stuff... another friggin' Keyboard Parasite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I found this recipe in my old Betty Crocker cookbook:

Ruby French Dressing

1 cup salad oil
2/3 cup catsup
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons minced onions
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika

Shake all ingredients well in tightly covered jar. Refrigerate at least
3 hours to blend flavours. Makes 2 2/3 cups.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...FREN CH+DRESS

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

French Dressing and 4-H sf[_9_] General Cooking 15 17-06-2014 04:53 PM
Recipe: My mother's Imperial French Salad Dressing Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 3 01-04-2009 12:43 PM
French Dressing donny General Cooking 7 31-03-2009 05:11 PM
FRENCH DRESSING RECIPE [email protected] General Cooking 7 06-03-2007 01:06 AM
Red "French" Dressing luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 20-10-2003 03:53 AM