Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Dressing and 4-H

A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with
ketchup and it jogged my memory cells.

I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of the things we did was
"cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had a recipe for French
Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I thought it was
delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients were, does
anyone remember? Certainly not wine vinegar. My mother only kept
cider vinegar in the house. This recipe is simple enough to have been
it - except dry mustard would have meant a shopping trip because Mom
would have had no use for that stuff.
http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/mi...rench-dressing

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with ketchup and it jogged my memory cells. I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of the things we did was "cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had a recipe for French Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I thought it was delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients were, does anyone remember?

Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you are set.
I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 28, 2014 10:34:22 AM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>
> > A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with ketchup and it jogged my memory cells. I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of the things we did was "cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had a recipe for French Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I thought it was delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients were, does anyone remember?

> Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you are set.
>
> I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.

Could anything be more trashy? I can't imagine French folks going
anywhere near your trailer trash dressing.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" > wrote in message
On Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with ketchup
> and it jogged my memory cells. I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of
> the things we did was "cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had a
> recipe for French Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I
> thought it was delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients were,
> does anyone remember?

Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you are
set.
I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.

----------

I have tried this, but it does not seem to be what I recall as the bottled,
orange colored, French dressing of my youth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:34:22 -0800 (PST), Thomas >
wrote:

> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> > A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with ketchup and it jogged my memory cells. I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of the things we did was "cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had a recipe for French Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I thought it was delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients were, does anyone remember?

> Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you are set.
> I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.

Thanks, fellow 4-H'er! The recipes I found were way too fancy to have
been in that "cookbook".

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:39:56 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:34:22 -0800 (PST), Thomas >
>wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>> > A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with ketchup and it jogged my memory cells. I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of the things we did was "cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had a recipe for French Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I thought it was delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients were, does anyone remember?

>> Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you are set.
>> I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.

>Thanks, fellow 4-H'er! The recipes I found were way too fancy to have
>been in that "cookbook".

I thought that dressing was called Italian dressing.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:21:27 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Friday, February 28, 2014 10:34:22 AM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> >
> > > A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with ketchup and it jogged my memory cells. I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of the things we did was "cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had a recipe for French Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I thought it was delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients were, does anyone remember?

> > Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you are set.
> >
> > I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.

> Could anything be more trashy? I can't imagine French folks going
> anywhere near your trailer trash dressing.

It is from a kids cookbook of 50 years ago. Get over it.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:36:55 -0800, "Reggie" >
wrote:

> "Thomas" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> > A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with ketchup
> > and it jogged my memory cells. I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of
> > the things we did was "cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had a
> > recipe for French Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I
> > thought it was delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients were,
> > does anyone remember?

> Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you are
> set.
> I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.
>
> ----------
>
> I have tried this, but it does not seem to be what I recall as the bottled,
> orange colored, French dressing of my youth.

It's not. Not even close, but it tasted good.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:36:55 -0800, "Reggie" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Thomas" > wrote in message
>> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>> > A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with
>> > ketchup
>> > and it jogged my memory cells. I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of
>> > the things we did was "cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had
>> > recipe for French Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I
>> > thought it was delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients
>> > were,
>> > does anyone remember?

>> Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you
>> are
>> set.
>> I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.
>>
>> ----------
>>
>> I have tried this, but it does not seem to be what I recall as the
>> bottled,
>> orange colored, French dressing of my youth.
>>

> It's not. Not even close, but it tasted good.

thanks for verifying. I am looking for a recipe for the bottled French
dressing of my youth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 10:50:26 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:39:56 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:34:22 -0800 (PST), Thomas >
> >wrote:

> >> Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you are set.
> >> I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.

> >Thanks, fellow 4-H'er! The recipes I found were way too fancy to have
> >been in that "cookbook".

> I thought that dressing was called Italian dressing.

Not in my little world! Italian dressing is a wine vinegar
vinaigrette with garlic and herbs added to it. It's my everyday "made
by me" salad dressing.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 28, 2014 12:21:27 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> I can't imagine French folks going anywhere near your trailer trash dressing. --B

Tastes just like Catalina brand. Looks the same too. Try it. It will take you all but 2 minutes of your precious time.

The OP didn't ask for fancy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 10:07:33 -0800, "Reggie" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:36:55 -0800, "Reggie" >
> > wrote:

> >> Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you
> >> are
> >> set.
> >> I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.
> >>
> >> ----------
> >>
> >> I have tried this, but it does not seem to be what I recall as the
> >> bottled,
> >> orange colored, French dressing of my youth.
> >>

> > It's not. Not even close, but it tasted good.
> >

> thanks for verifying. I am looking for a recipe for the bottled French
> dressing of my youth.

You're not alone!
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Class...g-m548447.aspx
http://community.tasteofhome.com/com...30.aspx#198630

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2014 11:34 AM, Thomas wrote:
> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>> A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with ketchup and it jogged my memory cells. I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of the things we did was "cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had a recipe for French Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I thought it was delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients were, does anyone remember?

> Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you are set.
> I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.

Recipes like that remind me that it is a delusion that sugar (or, more
likely HFCS) can be used as a substitute for oil.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:59:19 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 2/28/2014 11:34 AM, Thomas wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:43:33 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> >> A Moose in Love just posted his recipe for steak sauce made with ketchup and it jogged my memory cells. I was in 4-H when I was a kid and one of the things we did was "cooking". The 4-H cookbook of that day & age had a recipe for French Dressing that used ketchup as an ingredient and I thought it was delicious. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients were, does anyone remember?

> > Equal parts ketchup, sugar and white vinegar. A dash of paprika and you are set.
> > I add some dehydrated onion flakes sometimes.
> >

> Recipes like that remind me that it is a delusion that sugar (or, more
> likely HFCS) can be used as a substitute for oil.

Those recipes were around back in the day when the sugar industry had
a huge PR campaign telling the public how good sugar was for us.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The recipe I have is equal parts
Ketchup
Vinegar
Sugar
Vegetable oil
(1/4 cup each)

Then seasonings are
Equal parts of
Garlic powder/granulated garlic
Salt
Pepper
(1/4 teaspoon each)

This was always a great dressing in summer.

Hope you enjoy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for dredging that one up... French Dressing was my favorite
type when I was a kid. I made a very similar recipe back when I was
in 4-H cooking and liked it, but hadn't found it on the internet yet
- I want to see if I still like it as an adult.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

French Dressing recipe Gil Faver General Cooking 14 01-04-2009 01:16 AM
French Dressing donny General Cooking 7 31-03-2009 05:11 PM
French Dressing BBQ sauce Jimmie D Barbecue 1 13-06-2007 04:13 AM
Young's Bbq French Dressing Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 22-09-2006 03:25 PM
Red "French" Dressing luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 20-10-2003 03:53 AM