Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reduction Question (again)

I'm reducing 1/2 c. honey, 2 T. Balsamic, and 1/4 c. peach nectar.

How much can I reduce it without it turning to candy?

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan S." wrote:

>> How much can I reduce it without it turning to candy?

Oh, even an A cup is sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 24, 4:37*pm, Dan S.
> wrote:
> I'm reducing 1/2 c. honey, 2 T. Balsamic, and 1/4 c. peach nectar.
>
> How much can I reduce it without it turning to candy?
>
> --
> Yours,
> Dan S.
> the unruly redshirt

Do you have a candy thermometer? That would help you stop reducing
before it gets to the Soft-ball stage.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply with
soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::
> On Mar 24, 4:37*pm, Dan S.
> > wrote:
>> I'm reducing 1/2 c. honey, 2 T. Balsamic, and 1/4 c. peach nectar.
>>
>> How much can I reduce it without it turning to candy?
>>
>> --
>> Yours,
>> Dan S.
>> the unruly redshirt

> Do you have a candy thermometer? That would help you stop reducing
> before it gets to the Soft-ball stage.
>
> Kris

No. I stopped it when it started bubbling to the rim. It cooled to a
syrup.

It also had salt, couple whole garlic cloves, 1 and half t. of ginger,
a t. butter, 1/2 t. red pepper flakes.

Quite mellow, sweet and flavorful.

Gonna put it on broiled salmon.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dan S. > wrote:

> Kris, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply with
> soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::
> > On Mar 24, 4:37*pm, Dan S.
> > > wrote:
> >> I'm reducing 1/2 c. honey, 2 T. Balsamic, and 1/4 c. peach nectar.
> >>
> >> How much can I reduce it without it turning to candy?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Yours,
> >> Dan S.
> >> the unruly redshirt

> > Do you have a candy thermometer? That would help you stop reducing
> > before it gets to the Soft-ball stage.
> >
> > Kris

> No. I stopped it when it started bubbling to the rim. It cooled to a
> syrup.
>
> It also had salt, couple whole garlic cloves, 1 and half t. of ginger,
> a t. butter, 1/2 t. red pepper flakes.
>
> Quite mellow, sweet and flavorful.
>
> Gonna put it on broiled salmon.

Sounds really interesting!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply
with soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::
> In article >,
> Dan S. > wrote:
>
>> Kris, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply with
>> soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::
>>> On Mar 24, 4:37*pm, Dan S.

>>> Do you have a candy thermometer? That would help you stop reducing
>>> before it gets to the Soft-ball stage.
>>>
>>> Kris

>> No. I stopped it when it started bubbling to the rim. It cooled to a
>> syrup.
>>
>> It also had salt, couple whole garlic cloves, 1 and half t. of ginger,
>> a t. butter, 1/2 t. red pepper flakes.
>>
>> Quite mellow, sweet and flavorful.
>>
>> Gonna put it on broiled salmon.

> Sounds really interesting!

It was delicious. Served it with mushroom orzo and frozen corn. Next
time, I may throw in some rosemary or tarragon.

Pretty basic stuff, I'd imagine. I just get edgy around candy things.
I may have made caramel once. Not an expert, by any means.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dan S. > wrote:

> Omelet, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply
> with soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::
> > In article >,
> > Dan S. > wrote:
> >
> >> Kris, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply with
> >> soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::

> >> No. I stopped it when it started bubbling to the rim. It cooled to a
> >> syrup.
> >>
> >> It also had salt, couple whole garlic cloves, 1 and half t. of ginger,
> >> a t. butter, 1/2 t. red pepper flakes.
> >>
> >> Quite mellow, sweet and flavorful.
> >>
> >> Gonna put it on broiled salmon.

> > Sounds really interesting!

> It was delicious. Served it with mushroom orzo and frozen corn. Next
> time, I may throw in some rosemary or tarragon.
>
> Pretty basic stuff, I'd imagine. I just get edgy around candy things.
> I may have made caramel once. Not an expert, by any means.

That'll do you romantic you. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply
with soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::
> In article >,
> Dan S. > wrote:
>
>> Omelet, if I was in the mood, I'd turn the lights down low and reply
>> with soft music, but you'll have to accept this instead::

>>> Sounds really interesting!

>> It was delicious. Served it with mushroom orzo and frozen corn. Next
>> time, I may throw in some rosemary or tarragon.
>>
>> Pretty basic stuff, I'd imagine. I just get edgy around candy things.
>> I may have made caramel once. Not an expert, by any means.

> That'll do you romantic you. :-)

Ahh. I was wondering what you were talking about. The fish wasn't
particularly romantic, I didn't think ... although good. Must be the
attribution.

--
Yours,
Dan S.