Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A modest proposal

If someone decides to dump their whole recipe collection to the group at
once, could they please send them all in one thread? (post each one as a
reply to the previous, without quoting it of course.) I really don't
mind people posting recipe. Honest! But it's disruptive (IMHO) to have
hundreds of new threads started, almost none of which ever receive any
replies.

Unless the point is to flood out all the other discussions, or just to
get attention. (in which case, carry on.)

Thanks,
Bob

Old 07-03-2009, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

If someone decides to dump their whole recipe collection to the group at
once, could they please send them all in one thread? (post each one as a
reply to the previous, without quoting it of course.) I really don't
mind people posting recipe. Honest! But it's disruptive (IMHO) to have
hundreds of new threads started, almost none of which ever receive any
replies.

And if you've never even tried the recipe, don't post it,
unless it's in response to someone asking for that recipe.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 16:52:43 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

If someone decides to dump their whole recipe collection to the group at
once, could they please send them all in one thread? (post each one as a
reply to the previous, without quoting it of course.) I really don't
mind people posting recipe. Honest! But it's disruptive (IMHO) to have
hundreds of new threads started, almost none of which ever receive any
replies.

Unless the point is to flood out all the other discussions, or just to
get attention. (in which case, carry on.)

He's posting the RFC cookbook from 2002. I'm glad, because I no
longer have my copy.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

He's posting the RFC cookbook from 2002. I'm glad, because I no
longer have my copy.

I don't think the RFC cookbook is online anywhere, so maybe
it's a good idea to post the recipes. It's not as if you can buy
one any more.

nancy
Old 08-03-2009, 01:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

FERRANTE wrote:
Unless the point is to flood out all the other discussions, or just to
get attention. (in which case, carry on.)

I think it only adds to this NG. Recipes are the basis for most
cooking and have a place here. All you have to do is bypass whatever
you do not want to read.

I enjoy their inclusion.

Just my two-cents.

Mark

Of course they have a place. All I asked is that collections of recipes
be put in one thread so it can be opened or collapsed rather than each
one in a new thread (crowding out all the discussion threads.)

Bob

Old 08-03-2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default RFC Cookbook (p. 2002?) - was "A modest proposal"

wrote:

If someone decides to dump their whole recipe collection to the group at
once, could they please send them all in one thread? (post each one as a
reply to the previous, without quoting it of course.) I really don't
mind people posting recipe. Honest! But it's disruptive (IMHO) to have
hundreds of new threads started, almost none of which ever receive any
replies.

Unless the point is to flood out all the other discussions, or just to
get attention. (in which case, carry on.)

He's posting the RFC cookbook from 2002. I'm glad, because I no
longer have my copy.

I wish had an official and authentic copy of the Unofficial RFC
Cookbook! I think it would be a good addition (heheh, almost typed
edition, but that applies too! G) to my collection of cookbooks. I
wonder how difficult it was to publish and what it took to accomplish?
Would a new edition be worthwhile?

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

I don't think the RFC cookbook is online anywhere, so maybe
it's a good idea to post the recipes. It's not as if you can buy
one any more.

What if Rusty just compiled the book and built *one* PDF (or even a Word
file) with all the recipes in that document that could be downloaded as
needed from the RFC site? It would be pretty easy to add recipes to
later as well.

As it is, I've only seen a couple of recipes I might be interested in,
but for the most part I'm barely giving them a glance. Besides, unless I
make an active effort to copy and paste all of these, they'll be deleted
in 30 days as that's what I have Thunderbird set to do. I definitely
won't go to google groups to assemble it all later.

Hey, I applaud Rusty for taking it on, but this is just my .02 worth.

--Lin

Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 20:02:59 -0600, Sky
wrote:

I wish had an official and authentic copy of the Unofficial RFC
Cookbook! I think it would be a good addition (heheh, almost typed
edition, but that applies too! G) to my collection of cookbooks. I
wonder how difficult it was to publish and what it took to accomplish?
Would a new edition be worthwhile?

Sky

The rfc cook.book was obviously a collaborative job, but Nancy Young
took point on the effort, I believe.
--

modom
Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

FERRANTE wrote:
Unless the point is to flood out all the other discussions, or just to
get attention. (in which case, carry on.)

I think it only adds to this NG. Recipes are the basis for most
cooking and have a place here. All you have to do is bypass whatever
you do not want to read.

I enjoy their inclusion.

Just my two-cents.

Mark

Of course they have a place. All I asked is that collections of recipes
be put in one thread so it can be opened or collapsed rather than each
one in a new thread (crowding out all the discussion threads.)

Bob

Wuss.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

I wish had an official and authentic copy of the Unofficial RFC
Cookbook! I think it would be a good addition (heheh, almost typed
edition, but that applies too! G) to my collection of cookbooks. I
wonder how difficult it was to publish and what it took to accomplish?
Would a new edition be worthwhile?

It was a hot topic of disagreement for a long time, so hot that I
wondered if it would ever be published. Many people put in countless
hours on the project, collecting recipes, editing, proofreading, finding
a printer, shipping, etc.

Want to be in charge of Volume II?

gloria p
Old 08-03-2009, 03:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I wish had an official and authentic copy of the Unofficial RFC
Cookbook! I think it would be a good addition (heheh, almost typed
edition, but that applies too! G) to my collection of cookbooks. I
wonder how difficult it was to publish and what it took to accomplish?
Would a new edition be worthwhile?

Sky

The rfc cook.book was obviously a collaborative job, but Nancy Young
took point on the effort, I believe.

And she swore never to do anything like that again.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I wish had an official and authentic copy of the Unofficial RFC
Cookbook! I think it would be a good addition (heheh, almost typed
edition, but that applies too! G) to my collection of cookbooks. I
wonder how difficult it was to publish and what it took to
accomplish? Would a new edition be worthwhile?

The rfc cook.book was obviously a collaborative job, but Nancy Young
took point on the effort, I believe.

Oh, I was just the treasurer and chief nag, that's what makes it
seem like I did more than anyone else. That book wouldn't have
happened if it was just me, that's for sure.

nancy
Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I wish had an official and authentic copy of the Unofficial RFC
Cookbook! I think it would be a good addition (heheh, almost typed
edition, but that applies too! G) to my collection of cookbooks. I
wonder how difficult it was to publish and what it took to
accomplish? Would a new edition be worthwhile?

The rfc cook.book was obviously a collaborative job, but Nancy Young
took point on the effort, I believe.

Oh, I was just the treasurer and chief nag, that's what makes it
seem like I did more than anyone else. That book wouldn't have
happened if it was just me, that's for sure.

We all love it when you nag, Nancy.
--

modom
Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Would a new edition be worthwhile?

I seemed to be a lot of effort and I'm not interested anyway. Take
what's been posted lately and store in a file on your completer. I'm
sure if there are missing pages, the OP will post those. In fact, if
we ask her real nice, maybe Chatty Cathy will archive it on the web
site.

Mae West

a modest proposal for Dale W., and others... Ronin Wine 1 22-01-2010 05:22 PM
Proposal. RW Vegan 0 18-12-2004 02:19 AM
A Modest Proposal was Chung's insanity redux WAS: How t Charlotte L. Blackmer General Cooking 0 20-11-2004 05:21 PM
A Modest Proposal Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 8 01-03-2004 09:20 PM
A Modest Proposal. [That has nothing to do with eating the Irish] Cameron Lewis Tea 8 23-02-2004 02:50 AM