Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe: Pop Up Bread (Another "heirloom" recipe)

This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.

Pop Up Bread

4 c. flour
1 pkg. dry yeast
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. "salad oil"
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Measure 1-1/2 cups of flour into a large bowl with yeast.
In saucepan: put milk, water, salad oil, sugar and salt. Heat only until
warm. Then add to flour and yeast. Stir until smooth then add slightly
beaten eggs. Add rest of flour to make a stiff batter, beating until smooth
and elastic.

Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. Cover with plastic lids and
let rise almost to top of cans. Remove lids and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.
>
> Pop Up Bread
>
> 4 c. flour
> 1 pkg. dry yeast
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 c. milk
> 1/2 c. water
> 1/2 c. "salad oil"
> 1/4 c. sugar
> 1 tsp. salt
>
> Measure 1-1/2 cups of flour into a large bowl with yeast.
> In saucepan: put milk, water, salad oil, sugar and salt. Heat only
> until warm. Then add to flour and yeast. Stir until smooth then add
> slightly beaten eggs. Add rest of flour to make a stiff batter, beating
> until smooth and elastic.
>
> Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. Cover with plastic lids
> and let rise almost to top of cans. Remove lids and bake at 350 for 35
> minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.
>
> Jill

Jill,

You actually expect us to try tin coffee cans?!?

You better modernize those 1930s recipes?

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown said...
>
>> This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.
>>
>> Pop Up Bread
>>
>> 4 c. flour
>> 1 pkg. dry yeast
>> 2 eggs
>> 1/2 c. milk
>> 1/2 c. water
>> 1/2 c. "salad oil"
>> 1/4 c. sugar
>> 1 tsp. salt
>>
>> Measure 1-1/2 cups of flour into a large bowl with yeast.
>> In saucepan: put milk, water, salad oil, sugar and salt. Heat only
>> until warm. Then add to flour and yeast. Stir until smooth then add
>> slightly beaten eggs. Add rest of flour to make a stiff batter, beating
>> until smooth and elastic.
>>
>> Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. Cover with plastic lids
>> and let rise almost to top of cans. Remove lids and bake at 350 for 35
>> minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.
>>
>> Jill

> You actually expect us to try tin coffee cans?!?
>
> You better modernize those 1930s recipes?
>
> Andy

I don't expect you to do anything, Andy Wayne and a few others asked me
to post the recipes I found in that old box; that's what I'm doing. But
really, you've never heard of coffee can bread before? (Before I read
through the recipe I expected it to be a recipe for popovers.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

>> You actually expect us to try tin coffee cans?!?
>>
>> You better modernize those 1930s recipes?
>>
>> Andy

> I don't expect you to do anything, Andy Wayne and a few others asked
> me to post the recipes I found in that old box; that's what I'm doing.
> But really, you've never heard of coffee can bread before? (Before I
> read through the recipe I expected it to be a recipe for popovers.)
>
> Jill

Jill,

Not your fault! You've got "ancient" recipes!

I'd try it in a different form.

NO, I've never heard of coffee can bread.

Best,

Andy
The Yankee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy said...

> jmcquown said...
>
>>> You actually expect us to try tin coffee cans?!?
>>>
>>> You better modernize those 1930s recipes?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> I don't expect you to do anything, Andy Wayne and a few others asked
>> me to post the recipes I found in that old box; that's what I'm doing.
>> But really, you've never heard of coffee can bread before? (Before I
>> read through the recipe I expected it to be a recipe for popovers.)
>>
>> Jill

> Jill,
>
> Not your fault! You've got "ancient" recipes!
>
> I'd try it in a different form.
>
> NO, I've never heard of coffee can bread.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy
> The Yankee

Jill,

Well, if you wouldn't just mind being reminded... I'm your biggest fan. And
don't I know it!!!?

<smootch>

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 25 Feb 2009 05:03:18a, jmcquown told us...

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown said...
>>
>>> This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.
>>>
>>> Pop Up Bread
>>>
>>> 4 c. flour
>>> 1 pkg. dry yeast
>>> 2 eggs
>>> 1/2 c. milk
>>> 1/2 c. water
>>> 1/2 c. "salad oil"
>>> 1/4 c. sugar
>>> 1 tsp. salt
>>>
>>> Measure 1-1/2 cups of flour into a large bowl with yeast.
>>> In saucepan: put milk, water, salad oil, sugar and salt. Heat only
>>> until warm. Then add to flour and yeast. Stir until smooth then add
>>> slightly beaten eggs. Add rest of flour to make a stiff batter,
>>> beating until smooth and elastic.
>>>
>>> Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. Cover with plastic
>>> lids and let rise almost to top of cans. Remove lids and bake at 350
>>> for 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> You actually expect us to try tin coffee cans?!?
>>
>> You better modernize those 1930s recipes?
>>
>> Andy

> I don't expect you to do anything, Andy Wayne and a few others asked
> me to post the recipes I found in that old box; that's what I'm doing.
> But really, you've never heard of coffee can bread before? (Before I
> read through the recipe I expected it to be a recipe for popovers.)
>
> Jill

Yep, coffee can bread was well known and popular s late s the 1960s. Any
recipe I've ever seen for it always called for a 1 lb. coffee can. Perhaps
some popularity was lost when the coffee industry downsized their 1 lb.
cans to (what is it) 13 ounces?

And yes, I'm enjoying these recipes, and copying many of them down.
Thanks, Jill!

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 6:25*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.
>
> Pop Up Bread
>
> 4 c. flour
> 1 pkg. dry yeast
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 c. milk
> 1/2 c. water
> 1/2 c. "salad oil"
> 1/4 c. sugar
> 1 tsp. salt
>
> Measure 1-1/2 cups of flour into a large bowl with yeast.
> In saucepan: *put milk, water, salad oil, sugar and salt. *Heat only until
> warm. *Then add to flour and yeast. *Stir until smooth then add slightly
> beaten eggs. *Add rest of flour to make a stiff batter, beating until smooth
> and elastic.
>
> Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. *Cover with plastic lids and
> let rise almost to top of cans. *Remove lids and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
> Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.
>
> Jill

Reminds me of the old crock pot recipe book that wanted you to use
cans inside it to bake things. Kind of both fascinated and repulsed
me.

Thanks for sharing!

Kris, who also thought it would be popovers
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Wed 25 Feb 2009 05:03:18a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> jmcquown said...

>>> You actually expect us to try tin coffee cans?!?
>>>
>>> You better modernize those 1930s recipes?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> I don't expect you to do anything, Andy Wayne and a few others asked
>> me to post the recipes I found in that old box; that's what I'm doing.
>> But really, you've never heard of coffee can bread before? (Before I
>> read through the recipe I expected it to be a recipe for popovers.)
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Yep, coffee can bread was well known and popular s late s the 1960s. Any
> recipe I've ever seen for it always called for a 1 lb. coffee can.
> Perhaps
> some popularity was lost when the coffee industry downsized their 1 lb.
> cans to (what is it) 13 ounces?

Something like 13.5 oz. I don't drink coffee very often anymore but Mom
liked her morning Folgers. It came in plastic "cans". You definitely can't
bake in those! LOL

> And yes, I'm enjoying these recipes, and copying many of them down.
> Thanks, Jill!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

You're quite welcome I found the original recipe for those date-nut bars
you like in that box. I had already copied it down and put it into my own
recipe box. So I won't post that, nothing has changed

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:38:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Yep, coffee can bread was well known and popular s late s the 1960s. Any
>recipe I've ever seen for it always called for a 1 lb. coffee can. Perhaps
>some popularity was lost when the coffee industry downsized their 1 lb.
>cans to (what is it) 13 ounces?

Part of the problem with this is that the majority of coffee I see in
the store is in plastic containers. That could make quite the mess in
your oven.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:38:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> Yep, coffee can bread was well known and popular s late s the 1960s.
>> Any recipe I've ever seen for it always called for a 1 lb. coffee
>> can. Perhaps some popularity was lost when the coffee industry
>> downsized their 1 lb. cans to (what is it) 13 ounces?

> Part of the problem with this is that the majority of coffee I see in
> the store is in plastic containers. That could make quite the mess in
> your oven.
>
> Carol

It doesn't have to be a 'coffee' can. Pork and Beans is a can that comes in
various larger sizes and would be cheaper to buy than coffee. And you can
doctor the can of cheap pork and beans to take to a pot luck or use as a
side/main for your family.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:21:30 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:38:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, coffee can bread was well known and popular s late s the 1960s.
>>> Any recipe I've ever seen for it always called for a 1 lb. coffee
>>> can. Perhaps some popularity was lost when the coffee industry
>>> downsized their 1 lb. cans to (what is it) 13 ounces?

>> Part of the problem with this is that the majority of coffee I see in
>> the store is in plastic containers. That could make quite the mess in
>> your oven.
>>

>It doesn't have to be a 'coffee' can. Pork and Beans is a can that comes in
>various larger sizes and would be cheaper to buy than coffee. And you can
>doctor the can of cheap pork and beans to take to a pot luck or use as a
>side/main for your family.

Thinking outside the box (or in this case, can)! You done good,
Janet.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:14:01 -0600 in rec.food.cooking, Damsel in dis
Dress > wrote,
>On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:38:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>Yep, coffee can bread was well known and popular s late s the 1960s.

I read about it in "Laurel's Kitchen"

>>recipe I've ever seen for it always called for a 1 lb. coffee can. Perhaps
>>some popularity was lost when the coffee industry downsized their 1 lb.
>>cans to (what is it) 13 ounces?

I'd be looking for a large juice can or something similar.

>Part of the problem with this is that the majority of coffee I see in
>the store is in plastic containers. That could make quite the mess in
>your oven.

On the other hand, the plastic Folgers containers are pretty good for
refrigerator storage instead of buying expensive plastic.

Beware coffee cans made with foil-laminated cardboard. They're no good
for cooking, not much good for storage, and as far as I know can't yet
be recycled. If you are looking for a metal coffee can, give it a
squeeze before buying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.
>
> Pop Up Bread
>
> 4 c. flour
> 1 pkg. dry yeast
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 c. milk
> 1/2 c. water
> 1/2 c. "salad oil"
> 1/4 c. sugar
> 1 tsp. salt
>
> Measure 1-1/2 cups of flour into a large bowl with yeast.
> In saucepan: put milk, water, salad oil, sugar and salt. Heat only until
> warm. Then add to flour and yeast. Stir until smooth then add slightly
> beaten eggs. Add rest of flour to make a stiff batter, beating until smooth
> and elastic.
>
> Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. Cover with plastic lids and
> let rise almost to top of cans. Remove lids and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
> Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.
>
> Jill

Thanks for posting this stuff Jill. :-)
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> NO, I've never heard of coffee can bread.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy
> The Yankee

Er... Yankees cooked Boston brown bread in coffee cans.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> NO, I've never heard of coffee can bread.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy
>> The Yankee

> Er... Yankees cooked Boston brown bread in coffee cans.
>
> Bob

Bob,

So I ain't 100% Yankee!

I do know Boston's baked beans, if that's any help?

They also make the best New England clam chowder!

It's been quite a while. ((

I must re-visit!

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.
>
> Pop Up Bread
>
> 4 c. flour
> 1 pkg. dry yeast
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 c. milk
> 1/2 c. water
> 1/2 c. "salad oil"
> 1/4 c. sugar
> 1 tsp. salt
>
> Measure 1-1/2 cups of flour into a large bowl with yeast.
> In saucepan: put milk, water, salad oil, sugar and salt. Heat only
> until warm. Then add to flour and yeast. Stir until smooth then add
> slightly beaten eggs. Add rest of flour to make a stiff batter, beating
> until smooth and elastic.
>
> Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. Cover with plastic lids
> and let rise almost to top of cans. Remove lids and bake at 350 for 35
> minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.
>
> Jill

Bored?

-dk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.

(snip)
> Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. Cover with plastic lids and
> let rise almost to top of cans. Remove lids and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
> Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.
>
> Jill

"Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end." The days
when a can of coffee was in a can instead of a plastic and when it
weighed 16 ounces instead of 13. :-/
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 25 Feb 2009 05:55:34a, jmcquown told us...

> You're quite welcome I found the original recipe for those date-nut
> bars you like in that box. I had already copied it down and put it into
> my own recipe box. So I won't post that, nothing has changed
>
> Jill

Jill, those date-nut bars are a delight to everyone who tastes them!

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 6:03*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in ...
> > jmcquown said...

> >> This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.

> >> Pop Up Bread

> >> 4 c. flour
> >> 1 pkg. dry yeast
> >> 2 eggs
> >> 1/2 c. milk
> >> 1/2 c. water
> >> 1/2 c. "salad oil"
> >> 1/4 c. sugar
> >> 1 tsp. salt

> >> Measure 1-1/2 cups of flour into a large bowl with yeast.
> >> In saucepan: *put milk, water, salad oil, sugar and salt. *Heat only
> >> until warm. *Then add to flour and yeast. *Stir until smooth then add
> >> slightly beaten eggs. *Add rest of flour to make a stiff batter, beating
> >> until smooth and elastic.

> >> Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. *Cover with plastic lids
> >> and let rise almost to top of cans. *Remove lids and bake at 350 for 35
> >> minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.

> >> Jill

> > You actually expect us to try tin coffee cans?!?

> > You better modernize those 1930s recipes?

> > Andy

> I don't expect you to do anything, Andy *Wayne and a few others asked me
> to post the recipes I found in that old box; that's what I'm doing. *But
> really, you've never heard of coffee can bread before? *(Before I read
> through the recipe I expected it to be a recipe for popovers.)
>
> Jill

Boy! I'd KILL for some one pound coffee cans. Coffee cans are de
rigueur for Boston Steamed Brown Bread with Raisins.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
> Boy! I'd KILL for some one pound coffee cans. Coffee cans are de
> rigueur for Boston Steamed Brown Bread with Raisins.
> Lynn in Fargo

Coffee cans really shrank in size, messing up quite a few recipes. I
crave date and nut bread, which I haven't had in years, topped with
cream cheese.
Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 7:03*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in ...
> > jmcquown said...

> >> This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.

> >> Pop Up Bread

> >> 4 c. flour
> >> 1 pkg. dry yeast
> >> 2 eggs
> >> 1/2 c. milk
> >> 1/2 c. water
> >> 1/2 c. "salad oil"
> >> 1/4 c. sugar
> >> 1 tsp. salt

> >> Measure 1-1/2 cups of flour into a large bowl with yeast.
> >> In saucepan: *put milk, water, salad oil, sugar and salt. *Heat only
> >> until warm. *Then add to flour and yeast. *Stir until smooth then add
> >> slightly beaten eggs. *Add rest of flour to make a stiff batter, beating
> >> until smooth and elastic.

> >> Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. *Cover with plastic lids
> >> and let rise almost to top of cans. *Remove lids and bake at 350 for 35
> >> minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.

> >> Jill

> > You actually expect us to try tin coffee cans?!?

> > You better modernize those 1930s recipes?

> > Andy

> I don't expect you to do anything, Andy *Wayne and a few others asked me
> to post the recipes I found in that old box; that's what I'm doing. *But
> really, you've never heard of coffee can bread before? *(Before I read
> through the recipe I expected it to be a recipe for popovers.)
>
> Jill

I've seen that done with brown bread (the kind served with baked
beans). I might try that with bread pans, as we don't keep coffee
cans around any more.

Thanks,
maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 6:25*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> This one is in Grandma Brown's handwriting.
>
> Pop Up Bread
>
> 4 c. flour
> 1 pkg. dry yeast
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 c. milk
> 1/2 c. water
> 1/2 c. "salad oil"
> 1/4 c. sugar
> 1 tsp. salt
>
> Measure 1-1/2 cups of flour into a large bowl with yeast.
> In saucepan: *put milk, water, salad oil, sugar and salt. *Heat only until
> warm. *Then add to flour and yeast. *Stir until smooth then add slightly
> beaten eggs. *Add rest of flour to make a stiff batter, beating until smooth
> and elastic.
>
> Spoon into two well greased 1 lb. coffee cans. *Cover with plastic lids and
> let rise almost to top of cans. *Remove lids and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
> Cool 10 minutes and remove from cans.
>
> Jill

I should probably mention that I have a bread recipe that makes more
of a batter than a dough that makes the absolute best white bread
going. My daughter loves it.
maxine in ri