Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe: Butter Horn Rolls (another "heirloom" recipe)

I think this must have come from a magazine advertisement for Philadelphia
Cream Cheese since she specifies that brand. Handwritten by my mother, but
I don't remember her baking anything from scratch.

Butter Horn Rolls

1 lb. Philadelphia cream cheese
1 # [means a pound of] butter
1 # lb. flour [4 cups]

Mix and set in the refrigerator while making filling.
Filling:

1 lb. ground walnuts
3 Tbs. butter
3 Tbs. milk if necessary
1 c. [something I can't decipher, looks like "seed or" or "see of"... it
just sort of stops there]

Roll out dough. Cut in squares. Put on each 1 tsp. nut filling. Fold
opposite corners and bank in 450 oven until done. Use a measuring teaspoon
just level with filling. Watch carefully or they will burn.

Makes 8-10 or 10 doz according to size. I made them about as square as this
[recipe] card is.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I think this must have come from a magazine advertisement for Philadelphia
> Cream Cheese since she specifies that brand. Handwritten by my mother, but
> I don't remember her baking anything from scratch.
>
> Butter Horn Rolls
>
> 1 lb. Philadelphia cream cheese
> 1 # [means a pound of] butter
> 1 # lb. flour [4 cups]
>
> Mix and set in the refrigerator while making filling.
> Filling:
>
> 1 lb. ground walnuts
> 3 Tbs. butter
> 3 Tbs. milk if necessary
> 1 c. [something I can't decipher, looks like "seed or" or "see of"... it
> just sort of stops there]
>
> Roll out dough. Cut in squares. Put on each 1 tsp. nut filling. Fold
> opposite corners and bank in 450 oven until done. Use a measuring teaspoon
> just level with filling. Watch carefully or they will burn.
>
> Makes 8-10 or 10 doz according to size. I made them about as square as this
> [recipe] card is.

Thanks for the recipe. Sugar would be my guess for the missing word.
I have a cookie cookbook with a Hungarian butterhorns recipe that
calls for 1 cup of sugar in the filling. Looking online, I see
another that calls for a cup of confectioner's sugar.

pat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I think this must have come from a magazine advertisement for Philadelphia
> Cream Cheese since she specifies that brand. Handwritten by my mother, but
> I don't remember her baking anything from scratch.
>
> Butter Horn Rolls
>
> 1 lb. Philadelphia cream cheese
> 1 # [means a pound of] butter
> 1 # lb. flour [4 cups]
>
> Mix and set in the refrigerator while making filling.
> Filling:
>
> 1 lb. ground walnuts
> 3 Tbs. butter
> 3 Tbs. milk if necessary
> 1 c. [something I can't decipher, looks like "seed or" or "see of"... it
> just sort of stops there]
>
> Roll out dough. Cut in squares. Put on each 1 tsp. nut filling. Fold
> opposite corners and bank in 450 oven until done. Use a measuring teaspoon
> just level with filling. Watch carefully or they will burn.
>
> Makes 8-10 or 10 doz according to size. I made them about as square as this
> [recipe] card is.
>
> Jill

I'm guessing that the undecipherable ingredient is sugar, Jill.
Sweetening the filling would make sense. (Sounds good, by the way.)
It looks very much like a version of kolachky.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I think this must have come from a magazine advertisement for
> Philadelphia Cream Cheese since she specifies that brand. Handwritten
> by my mother, but I don't remember her baking anything from scratch.
>
> Butter Horn Rolls
>
> 1 lb. Philadelphia cream cheese
> 1 # [means a pound of] butter
> 1 # lb. flour [4 cups]
>
> Mix and set in the refrigerator while making filling.
> Filling:
>
> 1 lb. ground walnuts
> 3 Tbs. butter
> 3 Tbs. milk if necessary
> 1 c. [something I can't decipher, looks like "seed or" or "see of"... it
> just sort of stops there]

I'd bet it's sugar. There isn't any listed in the rest of the recipe.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 8:38*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I think this must have come from a magazine advertisement for Philadelphia
> Cream Cheese since she specifies that brand. *Handwritten by my mother, but
> I don't remember her baking anything from scratch.
>
> Butter Horn Rolls
>
> 1 lb. Philadelphia cream cheese
> 1 # [means a pound of] butter
> 1 # lb. flour [4 cups]
>
> Mix and set in the refrigerator while making filling.
> Filling:
>
> 1 lb. ground walnuts
> 3 Tbs. butter
> 3 Tbs. milk if necessary
> 1 c. [something I can't decipher, looks like "seed or" or "see of"... it
> just sort of stops there]
>
> Roll out dough. *Cut in squares. *Put on each 1 tsp. nut filling. *Fold
> opposite corners and bank in 450 oven until done. *Use a measuring teaspoon
> just level with filling. *Watch carefully or they will burn.
>
> Makes 8-10 or 10 doz according to size. *I made them about as square as this
> [recipe] card is.
>
> Jill

It DOES sound like a kolachy (sp?) or rugellah type of cookie. Sounds
good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> I think this must have come from a magazine advertisement for
>> Philadelphia
>> Cream Cheese since she specifies that brand. Handwritten by my mother,
>> but
>> I don't remember her baking anything from scratch.
>>
>> Butter Horn Rolls
>>
>> 1 lb. Philadelphia cream cheese
>> 1 # [means a pound of] butter
>> 1 # lb. flour [4 cups]
>>
>> Mix and set in the refrigerator while making filling.
>> Filling:
>>
>> 1 lb. ground walnuts
>> 3 Tbs. butter
>> 3 Tbs. milk if necessary
>> 1 c. [something I can't decipher, looks like "seed or" or "see of"... it
>> just sort of stops there]
>>
>> Roll out dough. Cut in squares. Put on each 1 tsp. nut filling. Fold
>> opposite corners and bank in 450 oven until done. Use a measuring
>> teaspoon
>> just level with filling. Watch carefully or they will burn.
>>
>> Makes 8-10 or 10 doz according to size. I made them about as square as
>> this
>> [recipe] card is.
>>
>> Jill

> I'm guessing that the undecipherable ingredient is sugar, Jill.
> Sweetening the filling would make sense. (Sounds good, by the way.)
> It looks very much like a version of kolachky.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

It probably is sugar. I just can't decipher her handwriting at that point.
She was probably having cocktails with the O Wives when she wrote it down

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I think this must have come from a magazine advertisement for
>> Philadelphia Cream Cheese since she specifies that brand. Handwritten by
>> my mother, but I don't remember her baking anything from scratch.
>>
>> Butter Horn Rolls
>>
>> 1 lb. Philadelphia cream cheese
>> 1 # [means a pound of] butter
>> 1 # lb. flour [4 cups]
>>
>> Mix and set in the refrigerator while making filling.
>> Filling:
>>
>> 1 lb. ground walnuts
>> 3 Tbs. butter
>> 3 Tbs. milk if necessary
>> 1 c. [something I can't decipher, looks like "seed or" or "see of"... it
>> just sort of stops there]
>>

> I'd bet it's sugar. There isn't any listed in the rest of the recipe.
>
> gloria p

Probably so.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:09:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> I think this must have come from a magazine advertisement for Philadelphia
>> Cream Cheese since she specifies that brand. Handwritten by my mother, but
>> I don't remember her baking anything from scratch.
>>
>> Butter Horn Rolls
>>
>> 1 lb. Philadelphia cream cheese
>> 1 # [means a pound of] butter
>> 1 # lb. flour [4 cups]
>>
>> Mix and set in the refrigerator while making filling.
>> Filling:
>>
>> 1 lb. ground walnuts
>> 3 Tbs. butter
>> 3 Tbs. milk if necessary
>> 1 c. [something I can't decipher, looks like "seed or" or "see of"... it
>> just sort of stops there]
>>
>> Roll out dough. Cut in squares. Put on each 1 tsp. nut filling. Fold
>> opposite corners and bank in 450 oven until done. Use a measuring teaspoon
>> just level with filling. Watch carefully or they will burn.
>>
>> Makes 8-10 or 10 doz according to size. I made them about as square as this
>> [recipe] card is.
>>
>> Jill

>I'm guessing that the undecipherable ingredient is sugar, Jill.
>Sweetening the filling would make sense. (Sounds good, by the way.)
>It looks very much like a version of kolachky.

Or Kifli

http://recipes.recipeland.com/recipe..._Cookies_16827

Kifli (Hungarian Walnut Cookies)

Yields: 3 dozen
Rating: *****

Recipe Cooking Time Preparation 50 minutes
Cooking 10 minutes
Ready In 60 minutes

Ingredients
--- Dough
4 3/4 cups flour, all-purpose unsifted
2 cups butter or margarine
4 large egg yolks slightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
--- Filling
5 cups walnuts shelled, ground
1 cup sugar granulated
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon almond extract
--- Glaze
1 large egg beaten
1 x powdered sugar
Directions

Make dough: in a large bowl, place the flour and the butter.

Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour
until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Add the egg yolks and sour cream; stir with a fork until combined.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board or pastry cloth. Knead
the dough with your hands until it is smooth and can be shaped into a
ball. If dough is too sticky, knead in more flour.

If desired, wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Make filling: In a medium-sized bowl, place the ground walnuts,
granulated sugar, milk and almond extract.

Using a wooden spoon, stir in walnut mixture until ingredients are
thoroughly combined.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Grease baking sheets with solid vegetable shortening.

To shape Kifli: divide the dough into quarters; wrap three of the
quarters separately in plastic wrap and set aside.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining quarter of the
dough to a 15 x 12 inch rectangle that is 1/8 inch thick.

Using a pastry wheel, cut the rectangle of dough into 3-inch squares.

Place a heaping teaspoon of the walnut filling in the center of each
square; bring one corner of the dough over the filling to the opposite
corner; pinch edges together.

Place Kifli on baking sheets; brush with the beaten egg.

Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Remove from the
baking sheet.

Fill the bottom of a pie plate with confectioners' sugar. Roll Kifli
in the sugar.

Let cool on wire racks. Repeat steps with the remaining three quarters
of dough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REQ for REC - Kolachky

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:09:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>It looks very much like a version of kolachky.

Have you ever posted your recipe, Barb? I couldn't find it in Google.

My grandfather came over on the boat from Bohemia when he was a little
boy. I made my mom's recipe once, but no longer have access to it. I
brought the kolaches to a Zastera family reunion, and the folks from
the Old Country loved them. I don't remember much about them anymore,
but I'd like to make them at least one more time. It's possible that
they involved the use of yeast.

Carol, a Good Bohunk

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:09:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >It looks very much like a version of kolachky.

> Have you ever posted your recipe, Barb? I couldn't find it in Google.

(snip)
> Carol, a Good Bohunk

I don't make them, Carol. I don't have a real good hand with the soft
and tender dough. Mom used a basic sweet dough recipe and cut squares
that she filled and pinched shut at the top. That 'enclosed' type is
one way; another way is a round (still a sweet dough - yeast involved)
with a depression in the middle that is filled with a teaspoon of
filling -- poppyseed, prune, or fruit. I've never seen cheese in an
'open' one. Mom used to make a cottage cheese filling: dry cottage
cheese, sugar, raisins, and egg. Not my favorite. She used to get her
ground poppyseed from Pete Dubivsky, who had a little grocery store
across the street from the church on 5th Street. :-)

Last time I was in Kramarczuk's on East Hennepin, I see that they sell
ground poppyseed, too. After Pete died, I think Mom switched to Solo
brand poppyseed filling.

I can scare up some recipes from the St. Mary's church cookbook, though.
:-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Several entries posted 2-19-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:09:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> It looks very much like a version of kolachky.

> Have you ever posted your recipe, Barb? I couldn't find it in Google.
>
> My grandfather came over on the boat from Bohemia when he was a little
> boy. I made my mom's recipe once, but no longer have access to it. I
> brought the kolaches to a Zastera family reunion, and the folks from
> the Old Country loved them. I don't remember much about them anymore,
> but I'd like to make them at least one more time. It's possible that
> they involved the use of yeast.
>
> Carol, a Good Bohunk

I'm typing this in the utility room with the computer on top of the
upright freezer cuz the router has died. Linksys, which I thought was
the top of the line. Lasted less than 8 months. Anyway...

You want a sweet yeasted dough; probably made with milk and eggs. Roll
the dough into balls, let them rise, then flatten. Make a deep
depression in the middles and fill with cooked dried apricots, or
prunes, or Solo poppyseed filling (etc.) Apple is my favorite. Rise
again but not much, bake, cool, then drizzle with just a little powdered
sugar and water glaze (optional).

I have several recipes, but I've never had them turn out right. But
"Green's Sausage House" in Zabcikville, Texas has set the bar really
high for me. (I'll drive 100 miles out of the way when I'm in Texas to
stop my there for kolaches and to buy some of their sausages.

Bob
(German, but there were plenty of good Bohunks and Polocks around when I
lived in Central Texas)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:02:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:09:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >It looks very much like a version of kolachky.

>> Have you ever posted your recipe, Barb? I couldn't find it in Google.

>(snip)
>> Carol, a Good Bohunk

>I don't make them, Carol. I don't have a real good hand with the soft
>and tender dough. Mom used a basic sweet dough recipe and cut squares
>that she filled and pinched shut at the top. That 'enclosed' type is
>one way; another way is a round (still a sweet dough - yeast involved)
>with a depression in the middle that is filled with a teaspoon of
>filling -- poppyseed, prune, or fruit. I've never seen cheese in an
>'open' one. Mom used to make a cottage cheese filling: dry cottage
>cheese, sugar, raisins, and egg. Not my favorite. She used to get her
>ground poppyseed from Pete Dubivsky, who had a little grocery store
>across the street from the church on 5th Street. :-)
>>Last time I was in Kramarczuk's on East Hennepin, I see that they sell

>ground poppyseed, too. After Pete died, I think Mom switched to Solo
>brand poppyseed filling.

I believe that the ones I made were enclosed. I'm thinking that the
corners all met in the center. Does that sound right? Damn, the
memory is the first thing to go.

>I can scare up some recipes from the St. Mary's church cookbook, though.
>:-)

God bless you, lady!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 23:55:24 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>You want a sweet yeasted dough; probably made with milk and eggs. Roll
>the dough into balls, let them rise, then flatten. Make a deep
>depression in the middles and fill with cooked dried apricots, or
>prunes, or Solo poppyseed filling (etc.) Apple is my favorite. Rise
>again but not much, bake, cool, then drizzle with just a little powdered
>sugar and water glaze (optional).

Thank you. That does sound much simpler than the folded variety.

I broke tradition and made some of my kolaches with Solo almond
filling. I love that stuff! The rest were apricot and poppy seed.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.