Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe: Pineapple Cheese Cake (Another "heirloom" recipe)

This one is attributed to my aunt Nadine McQuown (it's probably her
handwriting); she was married to my dad's older brother and died in 1980. I
don't bake pies and cakes, I'm just reporting recipes I found in that old
recipe box. Apparently people of that generation always baked pies and
cakes This is more 'fancy' than most of the things I've run across in
that recipe box. I have a few notations in brackets [ ].

Pineapple Cheese Cake

1-3/4 c. Zwieback crumbs [I know what zwieback is but this struck me as odd]
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
#2 can crushed pineapple, drained [about 1-1/2 cups]
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 c. thick sour cream
3 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Butter bottom and sides of one 9-inch round layer cake pan with removeable
bottom. [A spring-form pan, I suppose]

Mix together in a bowl the crumbs and the 1/4 c. sugar. Using a fork, blend
in the butter. With the back of a spoon press the crumb mixture firmly into
an even layer on bottom and sides of the pan. Bake at 375 for 5 minutes &
cool.

Blend in another bowl the cream cheese and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Add gradually,
blending until smooth after each addition the 1/2 c. sugar, cinnamon and
eggs. Gently blend in the pineapple. Turn into the crumb crust, bake at
325 for 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix together the sour cream, sugar and vanilla. When the cake is
done remove from oven and spread the sour cream mixture on top. Cool
completely. Chill thoroughly in the icebox before serving. Serves 12.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> This one is attributed to my aunt Nadine McQuown (it's probably her
> handwriting); she was married to my dad's older brother and died in
> 1980. I don't bake pies and cakes, I'm just reporting recipes I found
> in that old recipe box. Apparently people of that generation always
> baked pies and cakes This is more 'fancy' than most of the things
> I've run across in that recipe box. I have a few notations in brackets
> [ ].
>
> Pineapple Cheese Cake
>
> 1-3/4 c. Zwieback crumbs [I know what zwieback is but this struck me as
> odd]

<snip>

Both of my grandmothers used the terms "zwieback" and "graham crackers"
interchangeably. Graham cracker crusts were pretty much cannonical in
both my family and my husband's. My first attempt at a homemade new
york-style cheese cake with the traditional crust met with great
acclaim, except for the crust. Given that a graham cracker crust is
substantially less trouble, that's all I've used since then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathleen" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> This one is attributed to my aunt Nadine McQuown (it's probably her
>> handwriting); she was married to my dad's older brother and died in 1980.
>> I don't bake pies and cakes, I'm just reporting recipes I found in that
>> old recipe box. Apparently people of that generation always baked pies
>> and cakes This is more 'fancy' than most of the things I've run
>> across in that recipe box. I have a few notations in brackets [ ].
>>
>> Pineapple Cheese Cake
>>
>> 1-3/4 c. Zwieback crumbs [I know what zwieback is but this struck me as
>> odd]

> <snip>
>
> Both of my grandmothers used the terms "zwieback" and "graham crackers"
> interchangeably.

That makes sense. Zwieback is a toddler's teething cracker. Maybe that's
what graham crackers were used for, too. (I still love graham crackers but
they aren't as hard as teething crackers used to be these days.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Kathleen" > wrote in message
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> This one is attributed to my aunt Nadine McQuown (it's probably her
>>> handwriting); she was married to my dad's older brother and died in
>>> 1980. I don't bake pies and cakes, I'm just reporting recipes I found
>>> in that old recipe box. Apparently people of that generation always
>>> baked pies and cakes This is more 'fancy' than most of the things
>>> I've run across in that recipe box. I have a few notations in
>>> brackets [ ].
>>>
>>> Pineapple Cheese Cake
>>>
>>> 1-3/4 c. Zwieback crumbs [I know what zwieback is but this struck me
>>> as odd]

>> <snip>
>>
>> Both of my grandmothers used the terms "zwieback" and "graham
>> crackers" interchangeably.

> That makes sense. Zwieback is a toddler's teething cracker. Maybe
> that's what graham crackers were used for, too. (I still love graham
> crackers but they aren't as hard as teething crackers used to be these
> days.)

I bought Gerber teething biscuits for my kids. They were a hard,
vaguely sweet cookie sort of thing that would dissolve, slowly and
messily, when gummed. But you still weren't ever supposed to leave a
teething baby unattended with one of them, for fear the child would
manage to gnaw off a chunk then choke on it.

Much as I love(d) my kids and my nephews, both then and now, I don't
miss that stage. That was just gross. On more than one occasion I've
stripped a baby down to a diaper, fed lunch with the dogs hovering below
like pilot fish, then carried baby, high chair and all, into the shower
stall in the bathroom to be hosed down with the body shower.

And my husband is famous for his "90 second baby bath in the kitchen
sink with the vegetable sprayer" routine.