Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe: Corn Pone (Another "heirloom" recipe)

I never would have called this "corn pone"; it's cornbread. Written in
Grandma McQuown's traditional style.

Corn Pone

2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
butter size of walnut
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1/2 c sugar [see?! She was from Pennsylvania! She put sugar in cornbread!
And you chide me for sometimes adding 2 Tbs. Sheesh!]
2 c. cornmeal
1 c. wheat flour [Huh, she also added flour. Keep in mind I live in the
southern U.S. but I'm not "from" there]

Bake, 350, till done. (Signed, Lena.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 9:24*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I never would have called this "corn pone"; it's cornbread. *Written in
> Grandma McQuown's traditional style.
>
> Corn Pone
>
> 2 c. buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> butter size of walnut
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. soda
> 1/2 c sugar [see?! *She was from Pennsylvania! She put sugar in cornbread!
> And you chide me for sometimes adding 2 Tbs. *Sheesh!]
> 2 c. cornmeal
> 1 c. wheat flour [Huh, she also added flour. *Keep in mind I live in the
> southern U.S. but I'm not "from" there]
>
> Bake, 350, till done. (Signed, Lena.)
>
> Jill

I think corn pone is a older regional term for the same. Fun to see it
used now.

Kris, who likes sugar in her cornbread
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 25, 10:35*am, Kris > wrote:
> On Feb 25, 9:24*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

> > I never would have called this "corn pone"; it's cornbread. *Written in
> > Grandma McQuown's traditional style.

> > Corn Pone

> > 2 c. buttermilk
> > 2 eggs
> > butter size of walnut
> > 1/2 tsp. salt
> > 1 tsp. soda
> > 1/2 c sugar [see?! *She was from Pennsylvania! She put sugar in cornbread!
> > And you chide me for sometimes adding 2 Tbs. *Sheesh!]
> > 2 c. cornmeal
> > 1 c. wheat flour [Huh, she also added flour. *Keep in mind I live in the
> > southern U.S. but I'm not "from" there]

> > Bake, 350, till done. (Signed, Lena.)

> > Jill

> I think corn pone is a older regional term for the same. Fun to see it
> used now.
>
> Kris, who likes sugar in her cornbread

AFAIK Corn Pone may also be called Corn Dodgers (baked in that pan
shaped like ears of corn) and they have practically no ingredients
except cornmeal, water and some kind of leavening. Northern cornbread
has sugar, but my mom always made it with just a pinch. It was always
baked in a 9 X 9 inch pan and cut into squares. I bake it in buttered
cast iron cause I like the bottom and edges crispy.
Lynn in Fargo