Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stock in Cartons

I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
beef stock in cartons. Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. Has anyone tried
both? Or either?

What sayest thou?

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
> probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
> beef stock in cartons. Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. Has anyone tried
> both? Or either?
>
> What sayest thou?

I say your grocery's generic will be just as good and half the price. I buy
Kroger's all the time for $1.50 for 32 oz.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:35:00 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
>> probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
>> beef stock in cartons. Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
>> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. Has anyone tried
>> both? Or either?
>>
>> What sayest thou?
>>

>I say your grocery's generic will be just as good and half the price. I buy
>Kroger's all the time for $1.50 for 32 oz.

Those were the only two stock options (I slay myself!). Lots of
broth, but those were the only brands of actual stock. There's a big
part of me that doesn't want to buy anything with RR's face on it, but
if the quality is decent, I'd like to save some money. I could X out
her face with electrical tape or something.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 7:32*pm, Damsel in dis Dress >
wrote:
> I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
> probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
> beef stock in cartons. *Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. *Has anyone tried
> both? *Or either?
>
> What sayest thou?
>
> Carol
>
> --
> Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Rachael Ray looks like the Joker. Face lift and all. I'd rather make
my own stock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bent Attorney Esq." wrote

>Rachael Ray looks like the Joker. "Face lift and all."

Real attorneys do not ever construct incomplete sentences, it's you who are
the buffoon

> I'd rather make my own stock.

So now that we've ascertained that you've commited a fraud just how would
the likes of you go about preparing stock?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
> probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
> beef stock in cartons. *Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. *Has anyone tried
> both? *Or either?
>
> What sayest thou?
>
> Carol

I can't speak for Ray, Swanson, or Campbell, but I've tried the
Pacific brand and Trader Joe's and they leave much to be desired.
Consumer Reports (which I know some folks around here do not like)
gave the canned stocks a mediocre to poor rating.

If you've used the store-bought stuff before and liked it, I'd buy a
carton and try it. The worst that will happen is you'll season the
heck out of it to make it palatable, and not buy it again.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:02:30 -0800 (PST), maxine >
wrote:

>I can't speak for Ray, Swanson, or Campbell, but I've tried the
>Pacific brand and Trader Joe's and they leave much to be desired.
>Consumer Reports (which I know some folks around here do not like)
>gave the canned stocks a mediocre to poor rating.
>
>If you've used the store-bought stuff before and liked it, I'd buy a
>carton and try it. The worst that will happen is you'll season the
>heck out of it to make it palatable, and not buy it again.

Boy, I'm SOLD! I'm gonna buy as much pre-made stock as is humanly
possible. ROFLMAO!

I'm thinking I'll take Chris's advice and make my own.

Thanks for your input. I'm glad you responded.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
> probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
> beef stock in cartons. Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. Has anyone tried
> both? Or either?
>
> What sayest thou?
>
> Carol

I've purchased stock in cartons. It's generally less expensive and I
thought it was quite good. I bought a generic brand tho'.

I used it for T-day stuffing one time when I did not have time to make
home made stock.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I know that energy is often an issue for you, but is making your own
> not possible? I find that is the cheapest by a long shot.

Absolutely! We do upon occasion use the carton stock, but 90% of the
time I'll make my own. It's something I never did in my previous life
and now it's part of my cooking basics. I LOVE the smell of stock
simmering on the stove.

I've got a couple of daughters making their own stock now, too. Great
way to save $$$$ and it tastes so much better. I love witnessing those
little epiphanies!

That said, of the carton stock we've had I like the "Kitchen Basics" and
"Pacific Natural Foods" organic low sodium broths. TJ's isn't bad and
the price is right. Recently I opened a couple of cartons of the
Swansons chicken stock and both smelled funny, though neither of them
were spoiled.

> I often make a big pot, then reduce it down so I can then pour it into
> ice cube trays. Then put them all in a baggie and take out what I
> need when I need it. A big pot of stock reduced down about 3/4 will
> often give me about 2-3 ice cube trays worth....and then I just dilute
> it when I need it.

Alas, we go through it so quickly that rarely ever is there extra stock.
The versatility of stock makes it as much of a staple as a gallon of
milk in our house.

Besides, our freezers are loaded up with enough stuff that may never see
the light of day. I go through them quarterly to pitch what needs to go.

--Lin (Happy Fat Tuesday all!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 9:31*pm, Damsel in dis Dress >
wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:02:30 -0800 (PST), maxine >
> wrote:
>
> >I can't speak for Ray, Swanson, or Campbell, but I've tried the
> >Pacific brand and Trader Joe's and they leave much to be desired.
> >Consumer Reports (which I know some folks around here do not like)
> >gave the canned stocks a mediocre to poor rating.

> >If you've used the store-bought stuff before and liked it, I'd buy a
> >carton and try it. *The worst that will happen is you'll season the
> >heck out of it to make it palatable, and not buy it again.

> Boy, I'm SOLD! *I'm gonna buy as much pre-made stock as is humanly
> possible. *ROFLMAO!
>
> I'm thinking I'll take Chris's advice and make my own.
>
> Thanks for your input. *I'm glad you responded.
>
> Carol

You can tell I don't like the stuff? Shocked. I am absolutely
floored! <g>

I make my own with collected bones, garlic, and ginger. An Indonesian
woman on one of my lists told me that's how she makes it, but she said
she used 5 or 6 heads of garlic and a hand of ginger.....

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
> probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
> beef stock in cartons. Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. Has anyone tried
> both? Or either?

Stay away from the brand "Pacific Natural Foods". Granted, they're
very low salt so that does affect their flavor - but there was *no*
flavor at all, just dishwater taste.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones.

And her books are 1/10th the price of real cookbooks ;-)
They have shitloads of them at Half-Price Books.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine > wrote:

> I can't speak for Ray, Swanson, or Campbell, but I've tried the
> Pacific brand and Trader Joe's and they leave much to be desired.

Seconded. I just posted the same about Pacfic brand.

The Swanson chicken broth in the cardboard is the same as in the
cans. I have some here right now..

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:31:44 -0800 (PST), maxine >
wrote:

>On Feb 24, 9:31*pm, Damsel in dis Dress >
>wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:02:30 -0800 (PST), maxine >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >If you've used the store-bought stuff before and liked it, I'd buy a
>> >carton and try it. *The worst that will happen is you'll season the
>> >heck out of it to make it palatable, and not buy it again.

>> Boy, I'm SOLD! *I'm gonna buy as much pre-made stock as is humanly
>> possible. *ROFLMAO!
>>
>> I'm thinking I'll take Chris's advice and make my own.
>>
>> Thanks for your input. *I'm glad you responded.

>You can tell I don't like the stuff? Shocked. I am absolutely
>floored! <g>

I'm very intuitive.

>I make my own with collected bones, garlic, and ginger. An Indonesian
>woman on one of my lists told me that's how she makes it, but she said
>she used 5 or 6 heads of garlic and a hand of ginger.....

Now, that sounds gooooood!

Carol, future bone collector

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> maxine > wrote:
>
>> I can't speak for Ray, Swanson, or Campbell, but I've tried the
>> Pacific brand and Trader Joe's and they leave much to be desired.

> Seconded. I just posted the same about Pacfic brand.
>
> The Swanson chicken broth in the cardboard is the same as in the
> cans. I have some here right now..

There's Swanson chicken stock in the cardboard and cans, and
chicken broth in an oddly shaped cardboard container. The broth
is used for sauces.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:52:27 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>I've purchased stock in cartons. It's generally less expensive and I
>thought it was quite good. I bought a generic brand tho'.
>
>I used it for T-day stuffing one time when I did not have time to make
>home made stock.

When I didn't work and had a stand alone freezer, I always made my own
stock. I have a job and the stand alone freezer is a thing of the
past. When I need a rich broth for soup, I make my own stock, but if
I just need it to enrich something like stuffing, rice etc... stock
from can or box is fine. I use Trader Joe's boxes and usually Swanson
cans. I haven't noticed the Rachael Ray brand yet.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Feb 24, 7:32*pm, Damsel in dis Dress >
> wrote:
> > I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
> > probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
> > beef stock in cartons. *Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
> > Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. *Has anyone tried
> > both? *Or either?

Well, here's what it looks like:

http://countingsheep.typepad.com/amu...l-ray-stoc.htm

Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
> probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
> beef stock in cartons. Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. Has anyone tried
> both? Or either?
>
> What sayest thou?

Swanson chicken stock is actually pretty good. I use it often. I prefer
the organic stocks though but they are usually really expensive. I'd not
try Rachel Ray's on a bet. I am just sick of her Cheshire cat grin
plastered everywhere.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul wrote:

> I prefer the organic stocks though but they are usually really expensive.
> I'd not try Rachel Ray's on a bet. I am just sick of her Cheshire cat
> grin plastered everywhere.

Want a great laugh? Record "30-Minute Meals" and then play it back in
ultra-slow motion. The slow-motion playback has a kind of
Godzilla-movie-badness quality to it. You'll probably never look at Rachael
Ray the same way again.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

> Those were the only two stock options (I slay myself!).

hahaha!

Lots of
> broth, but those were the only brands of actual stock.

What is the difference between stock and broth? That the first is made of
bones and skin and vegetables, in addition to meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
> probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
> beef stock in cartons. Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. Has anyone tried
> both? Or either?
>
> What sayest thou?
>
> Carol

I tend to skip over anything with a TV chef's name on it; they usually cost
more. Having said that, stock in a carton will do in a pinch. But as Chris
said, homemade is always better. You can control what goes into it. But
you have to have room to freeze it or be prepared to use it up quickly.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:00:32 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>Swanson chicken stock is actually pretty good. I use it often. I prefer
>the organic stocks though but they are usually really expensive. I'd not
>try Rachel Ray's on a bet. I am just sick of her Cheshire cat grin
>plastered everywhere.

LOL! I hear ya. I actively avoid anything with her picture on it.
Reminds me of that weird giggle of hers.

Dang, there are so many differences of opinion on this. I think I'll
try ONE carton of Swanson's and report back.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:35:00 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
>>> probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
>>> beef stock in cartons. Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
>>> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. Has anyone tried
>>> both? Or either?
>>>
>>> What sayest thou?
>>>

>>I say your grocery's generic will be just as good and half the price. I
>>buy
>>Kroger's all the time for $1.50 for 32 oz.

> Those were the only two stock options (I slay myself!). Lots of
> broth, but those were the only brands of actual stock. There's a big
> part of me that doesn't want to buy anything with RR's face on it, but
> if the quality is decent, I'd like to save some money. I could X out
> her face with electrical tape or something.
>
> Carol

I have an old question that was asked some time ago, but my memory has
failed me again.....the difference between stock and
broth...thanks........Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 01:48:28 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote
>>
>> Those were the only two stock options (I slay myself!).

>hahaha!
>
> Lots of
>> broth, but those were the only brands of actual stock.

>What is the difference between stock and broth? That the first is made of
>bones and skin and vegetables, in addition to meat?

Yeah, I believe so. I've never knowingly made stock. Might have,
accidently, in the process of making homemade soup. That's why I was
asking about the stuff in cartons.

(I was terrified the first time I made Bechamel sauce. Terrified.
Then I found out it was the same ol' White Sauce I'd been making my
whole life.)

Carol, whose godmother is Betty Crocker

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

> Yeah, I believe so. I've never knowingly made stock. Might have,
> accidently, in the process of making homemade soup. That's why I was
> asking about the stuff in cartons.

Stock is really easy and kind of cozy to make in the winter. I don't put
vegetable scraps in until the last two hours or so, as I agree with Fannie
Farmer, I think you can't simmer meat/bone/skin too long, but long-simmered
vegetables can turn the stock bitter.

> (I was terrified the first time I made Bechamel sauce. Terrified.
> Then I found out it was the same ol' White Sauce I'd been making my
> whole life.)

Remember Home Ec? White sauce and diapering babydolls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:25:52 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:06:26 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>>When I didn't work and had a stand alone freezer, I always made my own
>>stock. I have a job and the stand alone freezer is a thing of the
>>past. When I need a rich broth for soup, I make my own stock, but if
>>I just need it to enrich something like stuffing, rice etc... stock
>>from can or box is fine. I use Trader Joe's boxes and usually Swanson
>>cans. I haven't noticed the Rachael Ray brand yet.

>You gonna start making it again when you retire this year?

I'll do it more often, but I won't have a stand alone freezer to
accommodate large batches.... I'm a bone saver too.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:59:18 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote
>>
>> Yeah, I believe so. I've never knowingly made stock. Might have,
>> accidently, in the process of making homemade soup. That's why I was
>> asking about the stuff in cartons.

>Stock is really easy and kind of cozy to make in the winter. I don't put
>vegetable scraps in until the last two hours or so, as I agree with Fannie
>Farmer, I think you can't simmer meat/bone/skin too long, but long-simmered
>vegetables can turn the stock bitter.

Thanks for the tip!

>> (I was terrified the first time I made Bechamel sauce. Terrified.
>> Then I found out it was the same ol' White Sauce I'd been making my
>> whole life.)

>Remember Home Ec? White sauce and diapering babydolls.

I learned to make white sauce from my mom, for making macaroni and
cheese. In home ec, we didn't deal with parenthood issues at all.
Cooking, sewing, and a little embroidery.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:00:32 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>>Swanson chicken stock is actually pretty good. I use it often. I
>>prefer the organic stocks though but they are usually really
>>expensive. I'd not try Rachel Ray's on a bet. I am just sick of her
>>Cheshire cat grin plastered everywhere.

> LOL! I hear ya. I actively avoid anything with her picture on it.
> Reminds me of that weird giggle of hers.
>
> Dang, there are so many differences of opinion on this. I think I'll
> try ONE carton of Swanson's and report back.
>
> Carol

Wasn't Swanson rated best a while or so back?...Maybe in the 90's...

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> "cybercat" > wrote:
> >
> >What is the difference between stock and broth? That the first is made of
> >bones and skin and vegetables, in addition to meat?

> Yeah, I believe so. I've never knowingly made stock.

Here is what I recently posted on the subject:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/7764c701c9c6bf80>.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:32:38 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
>probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
>beef stock in cartons. Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
>Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. Has anyone tried
>both? Or either?
>
>What sayest thou?
>
>Carol

I like Kitchen Basics stock. It's real stock, not broth, and has a
decent flavor. Homemade is better, but more time/effort needed.

- Mark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>I went grocery shopping today and noticed, for the first time (stuff's
> probably been around for awhile) Swanson's or Campbell's chicken and
> beef stock in cartons. Right next to those were Rachael Ray's stocks.
> Rachael's are about 2/3 the price of the other ones. Has anyone tried
> both? Or either?
>
> What sayest thou?
>
> Carol
>
> --

I believe that Cook's Illustrated just did a piece on stock vs broth. Of
course now that the subject came up, I can't find the issue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 23:57:16 +0100, (Victor Sack)
> wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

>>> Yeah, I believe so. I've never knowingly made stock.

>>Here is what I recently posted on the subject:
>><http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/7764c701c9c6bf80>.

> Wow, I thought it was just the opposite. Thank you! Making stock
> shouldn't be much of a problem, after all. I never seem to have all
> the ingredients on hand. You just made my life lots, lots easier!
>
> Carol

So take a chicken cut it up and put it in a 9 qt crockpot, chuck in
several celery ribs,a onion halved (skin on), a carrot or 2, 10 or so
black pepper corns, bay leaf or 3, 2 or 3 garlic cloves and 1 lonley
parsnip. Cover with water and put it on low. Come back 6-8 hours later
rescue the chicken, as the meat can be used in many things. And strain
out the rest of the stuff and chuck it out. There ya go Chicken stock.

I hates parsnip but need it in chicken stock for some reason.

You could use a large pasta pot and use the strainer inster which would
make it easier. But if you do make sure it is on a slow simmer.

Oh you'll probably need to skim off the fat so put it in the fridge over
night or outside in the winter for a hour or 3. So the fat rises and
hardens and lift it out in 1 or 2 pieces.

This will prolly make about 3 quarts to a gallon of stock. Plus chicken
suitable for making chicken salad samiches and chicken soup.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-26, hahabogus > wrote:

> rescue the chicken, as the meat can be used in many things.

Name one.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in news:N2ppl.44224$6r1.8684
@newsfe19.iad:

> On 2009-02-26, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> rescue the chicken, as the meat can be used in many things.

> Name one.
>
> nb

seems you missed the chicken salad and chicken soup reference further down
the post

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in news:N2ppl.44224$6r1.8684
@newsfe19.iad:

> On 2009-02-26, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> rescue the chicken, as the meat can be used in many things.

> Name one.
>
> nb

but also quesdillas and pot pies come to mind.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

hahabogus wrote:

> but also quesdillas and pot pies come to mind.

And fillings for enchiladas!

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

>> rescue the chicken, as the meat can be used in many things.

> Name one.

I'll play! The cooked chicken meat can be used anywhere that the meat is
used for texture rather than strong chicken flavor:

Cannelloni filling
Tacos
Curry
Dog treats

You can also use run it through the food processor, mix it with
lightly-beaten egg whites, and use that mixture as the "raft" to make
consommé.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-26, hahabogus > wrote:

> seems you missed the chicken salad and chicken soup reference further down
> the post

Why would I want to make chicken salad using chicken meat with all the
flavor leached out of it?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-26, Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> used for texture rather than strong chicken flavor:

Yes. Some use where another flavor is added to meat that tastes like a
spent dishrag.

nb