Kate ......

Default Any Ideas for three cartons yogurt ?????

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> "Kate ......" > wrote in message
> > I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
> > for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
> > kate
> >

> Make yogurt cheese and add your favourite herbs and spices to make a
> dip/spread (I use Penzey's Sunny Paris).
>
> Use it in a loaf cake--Barb just posted a banana bread that called for sour
> cream recently. You could substitute yogurt for the sc. I used to have a
> lemon pound cake (fake pound cake) recipe from Better Homes and Gardens that
> I did the same with.
>
> Yogurt is also good dribbled with honey and sprinkled with nuts. Yum!
>
> rona
> --
> ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

Don't care for the taste of the stuff, just eating it . But thank you for the
suggestions . And I do love banana bread. And the lemon pound cake sounds very
good. I will search my BH&G and see if I can find it. Hugs . kate

Nancy Young

"Kate ......" wrote:

> I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
> for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
> kate

Make yogurt cheese? Strain it overnight in a coffee filter lined
colander, then you can use it like cream cheese. There must be a
gazillion uses for yogurt cheese.

Or, use it as is in the place of sour cream, like in dips and
sauces?

nancy
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Kate ......" > wrote in message
> I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
> for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
> kate

Make yogurt cheese and add your favourite herbs and spices to make a
dip/spread (I use Penzey's Sunny Paris).

Use it in a loaf cake--Barb just posted a banana bread that called for sour
cream recently. You could substitute yogurt for the sc. I used to have a
lemon pound cake (fake pound cake) recipe from Better Homes and Gardens that
I did the same with.

Yogurt is also good dribbled with honey and sprinkled with nuts. Yum!

rona

Julia Altshuler

Kate ...... wrote:
> I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
> for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
> kate

I've successfully used plain yogurt instead of sour milk in recipes for
baked goods such as muffins and cakes. In fact, I make this
substitution so often that I no longer pay much attention to which one
I'm using. I'll look in the fridge and use milk soured with a little
vinegar if that's what I have on hand or use yogurt if I have some since
that's one less step.

--Lia

Carol Margerum

I got this awhile ago. It may sound strange, but is quite good:

Ottoman empire Yogurt Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 quart chicken broth
1 cup barley
1 tablespoon kosher salt
3 cups yogurt -- plain
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch mint leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika -- or Kirmizi biber or Aleppo pepper

Melt the butter over medium heat in a large heavy pot. Just when the foam
subsides, add the flour and form a roux. Pour in the chicken broth and
continue to stir constantly. Bring the mixture to a simmer and then add the
barley and salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low heat, cover and simmer until
the barley is tender; anywhere from 15-30 minutes.

While the soup cooks, blend the yogurt and egg yolks, in a large bowl, until
smooth.

After the barley is tender, lower the heat and gradually whisk in the yogurt
mixture and cook until it begins to simmer.

While the soup is coming back to a simmer, place the olive oil into a small
sauté pan, add the mint and paprika. Heat until the mix is a golden color.
When the soup is near a simmer, stir the mixture into the pot and serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 536 Calories (kcal); 29g Total Fat; (48% calories from fat);
19g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; 161mg Cholesterol; 2385mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 5
Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES :

Kirmizi biber can be simulated by combining sweet paprika and cayenne in
equal proportions and mix with a few drops of olive oil.

Aleppo pepper is a middle eastern pepper of about 15k scoville units.

Good Luck,
steve m.

"Kate ......" > wrote in message
> I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
> for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
> kate

Cate

"Kate ......" > wrote in message
> I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
> for using it up .

Marinate chicken or lamb pieces in it, and follow your favorite Indian
recipe.

Add scallions, mint, cilantro, and jalapeno to make a sauce to serve with
grilled chicken breasts and chick peas.

Put yogurt and fruit in a blender and make a smoothie.

Make a mango lassi.

Cate

Curly Sue

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:57:16 -0800, "Kate ......" >
wrote:

>I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
>for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
>kate

from http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/cornbred.html

COUNTRY CORNBREAD
(Source: Parade Magazine, Beth Merriman, Food Editor)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Preheat oven to 400 deg. Grease an 8x8" baking pan.

1 c enriched cornmeal
1 c all purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

1 carton (8 oz) plain yogurt
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 egg

Sift together dry ingredients (I just put them in a bowl and mix them
with a big spoon). In another bowl blend yogurt, oil, and egg. Add dry
ingredients and mix just until blended (do not overmix). Pour into
prepared pan.

Bake 20 min at 400 deg until toothpick comes out clean. Do not
overbake! The top will be flecked with brown rather than uniformly so.

Sue(tm)
Puester

"Kate ......" wrote:

> I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
> for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
> kate

Use them as a base for smoothies. Add banana, berries, etc.
and moosh in a blender. Hmmm, I wonder if you could make
a sort of eggless eggnog with yogurt as a base?

gloria p
Kate ......

I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
kate

maxine in ri

"Kate ......" wrote:

> I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
> for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
> kate

Make Tsatsaki sauce for a Greek meal.

definately Lassi's. Mango is great, but almost any berry would be fine.

If you eat hot cereal, it adds a nice tang instead of pouring cream
or milk over it.

maxine in ri

ConnieG999

"Kate ......" > writes:

>I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
>for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,

Sweeten it (honey works well) and use it for a fruit dip.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Jarkat2002

>I've successfully used plain yogurt instead of sour milk in recipes for
>baked goods such as muffins and cakes. In fact, I make this
>substitution so often that I no longer pay much attention to which one
>I'm using. I'll look in the fridge and use milk soured with a little
>vinegar if that's what I have on hand or use yogurt if I have some since
>that's one less step.
>
>--Lia

I made oatmeal cookies last week and only had 1/2 the amount of butter needed.
I used yogurt for the rest .. best oatmeal cookies I have ever made!!
~Kat

"I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I
were not in this body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified
and qualified. But, oh, I cry out aginst it." --Sylvia Plath
hahabogus

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in
:

> Yogurt is also good dribbled with honey and sprinkled with nuts. Yum!

Or sprinkled with granola...my favorite cheapie dessert.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago
kalanamak

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> Make yogurt cheese and add your favourite herbs and spices to make a
> dip/spread (I use Penzey's Sunny Paris).

I use Penzey's Green Goddess. Let it sit a few hours to "meld".
blacksalt
Suzanne

wrote:

>I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
>for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
>kate

Lots of good ideas here.
An easy one is get some very good raspberry or other flavor preserves,
place in the bottom of a cup, spoon yogurt over the top and you have
"fruit on the bottom" yogurt. Add peanuts, almonds, cashews, etc. for
added crunch.

George

"Kate ......" > wrote in message
> I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
> for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
> kate

Add some cut up fruit, maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon and eat it for
breakfast. We do this all the time. It avoids the 50% sugar premixed space
food version and has a brighter taste.

PENMART01

"Kate ......" > wrote:

>I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt.

Whadaya mean, left over yogurt... if it's in full untouched cartons it ain't
left over... to extend shelf life pop em in the freezer... leave em there till
your pea brain figgers it out, could be years. sheesh!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Denise~*

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:15:06 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>"Kate ......" wrote:
>>
>> I have three left over cartons ( 8 oz. ea. ) of plain yogurt. Any ideas
>> for using it up . Hate to throw it out. Thank you ahead ..... hugs ,
>> kate

Add fruit to it & eat is straight

>Make yogurt cheese? Strain it overnight in a coffee filter lined
>colander, then you can use it like cream cheese. There must be a
>gazillion uses for yogurt cheese.

Only if it doesn't have gelatin in it.

>Or, use it as is in the place of sour cream, like in dips and
>sauces?

Frozen yogurt?

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?