Robert Green

Default Writing on freezer cartons

Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how to
label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough letter
for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
stamped on most cartons.

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

Robert Green wrote:
> Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how to
> label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
> product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
> plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough letter
> for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
> stamped on most cartons.

Try a permanent marker, sometimes called CD pens. I use them for
marking up any CDs or DVDs i've made and they do a good job on plastic
bags, boxes etc in the freezer too.

Doc

~patches~

Robert Green wrote:

> Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how to
> label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
> product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
> plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough letter
> for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
> stamped on most cartons.
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Bobby G.

A wide tip *Sharpie* marker should work.
Robert Green

"~patches~" > wrote in

> Robert Green wrote:
>
> > Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how

> > label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> > surface, most marking pens just stop writing.
> >

> A wide tip *Sharpie* marker should work.

I should have mentioned that I have tried every type of Sharpie and CD
marking pen in existence. The dry-erase board marker seemed to lay on the
thickest line and didn't *immediately* break up into tiny, fractured ink
drops but it's gone after the first freezer shuffle - it flakes right off.

Sharpies only work as long as you dry each box very thoroughly with an
absolutely dry paper towel in a room with low relative humidity and you
write almost immediately after wiping. As soon as the marker tip begins to
wick up even a little water, it's lights out.

I thought china markers, a.k.a. grease pencils would work, but they hardly
leave a mark on the surface of a waxed carton. I have a Marks-a-lot that's
so big, you can hardly write two words with it without nearly passing out
from the fumes, but it, too suffers from the same problem. The slightest
bit of condensation and the pen tip gets wet and will write no more.

I occasionally see labels stuck to frozen food cartons by the grocer that
appear to have been stuck on after the boxes were frozen (the box apparently
was accidentally slit or broken open and they used a label to re-close it).
There must be some sort of freezer-friendly label stock I can use or someone
out there who's found something that works. Arrrgh! I've spent a lot of
time at Google without much luck. :-(

--
Bobby G.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Robert Green" > wrote:

> Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how to
> label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
> product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
> plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough letter
> for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
> stamped on most cartons.
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Bobby G.

Laundry markers, and just wipe the surface with a dry paper towel and
label quickly.

You can also slip the item into a large ziplock bag and just write on
that.

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> Robert Green wrote:
>
> > Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how to
> > label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> > surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
> > product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
> > plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough letter
> > for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
> > stamped on most cartons.
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > --
> > Bobby G.
> >

> A wide tip *Sharpie* marker should work.

Yeah. What she said. :-)
Just dry the surface quickly first with a paper towel.
--
Om.

Sheldon

Robert Green wrote:
> Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how to
> label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
> product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
> plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough letter
> for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
> stamped on most cartons.

Search <freezer labels>

http://www.mileskimball.com/shopping...emType=PRODUCT

http://tinyurl.com/7o5td

Frozen Food Labels

End the frustration that occurs when you hunt through your freezer for
steak, only to find hamburger you should've used weeks ago. Our 1 1/8"
x 1 3/4" labels have lines for date, weight, and contents. Designed to
stick in subzero temperatures. Pack of 105 labels.
1 pack $2.99
2 packs $3.99
---

Sheldon

S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Robert Green" > said:

> Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how to
> label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
> product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
> plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough letter
> for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
> stamped on most cartons.

First, write your info on a piece of freezer tape. Wipe part of
the container dry, then place the tape. It's a bit more work, but
easier than trying to write on a frozen food box. Here's more
information on freezer tape, if anyone needs it:

http://tinyurl.com/97hgt

OR

http://products3.3m.
com/catalog/us/en001/government/innovative_solutions/node_GS4S40VWXRbe/r
oot_GS3RBW6QFVgv/vroot_31S2JJ7584ge/gvel_WSFF0BLZJ8gl/theme_us_innovativ
esolutions_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

HTH!

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollup, novice cook ~
MoM

"Robert Green" > wrote in message
> Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how
> label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
> product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
> plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough
> letter
> for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
> stamped on most cartons.
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Bobby G.

There used to be black waxy pencils. My mom used them and I still have a
couple.

MoM

Kathy

"Robert Green" > wrote in message
> Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how
> label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
> product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
> plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough
> letter
> for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
> stamped on most cartons.
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Bobby G.

Didn't folks used to use china markers (grease pencils) for that? They ought
to write through water.

Kathy

~patches~

MoM wrote:

> "Robert Green" > wrote in message
>
>>Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how
>>label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
>>surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
>>product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
>>plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough
>>letter
>>for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
>>stamped on most cartons.
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>--
>>Bobby G.
>>

> There used to be black waxy pencils. My mom used them and I still have a
> couple.
>
> MoM

I've seen black, red, and yellow wax pencils. I only have a black one
but it does the trick and they last forever without drying out. Most of
the office supply stores carry them. Our small butchersop and even the
m & p grocery store still uses these pencils.
Goomba38

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> You can also slip the item into a large ziplock bag and just write on
> that.
>
> Cheers!

Why waste the time and throw more cost and effort into this than
necessary? Eeeegads ziplocks aren't cheap, and the food is already
packaged to death by the manufacturer, lol
Nancy Young

"~patches~" > wrote

> MoM wrote:

>> There used to be black waxy pencils. My mom used them and I still have a
>> couple.

> I've seen black, red, and yellow wax pencils. I only have a black one but
> it does the trick and they last forever without drying out. Most of the
> office supply stores carry them. Our small butchersop and even the m & p
> grocery store still uses these pencils.

Would they wash off in hot soapy water, say for Tupperware type
containers?

nancy

Mr Libido Incognito

Nancy Young wrote on 05 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> "~patches~" > wrote
>
> > MoM wrote:

> >> There used to be black waxy pencils. My mom used them and I still
> >> have a couple.

> > I've seen black, red, and yellow wax pencils. I only have a black
> > one but it does the trick and they last forever without drying out.
> > Most of the office supply stores carry them. Our small butchersop
> > and even the m & p grocery store still uses these pencils.

> Would they wash off in hot soapy water, say for Tupperware type
> containers?
>
> nancy

ummm...masking tape is cheap and sticks to most anything and is readily
written on. Also fairly easy to get off if you need to re-use the
container. You could go with differing colours for differing
applications/food types (whatever).

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Nancy Young

"Kathy" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Would they wash off in hot soapy water, say for Tupperware type
>> containers?

> Dry-erase markers work really well on plastic freezer containers. The
> words stay on in the freezer but wash off fairly easily with soap and a
> scrub sponge. The box top must be dry; like the OP said, ink pens don't
> write on wet surfaces. But they're handy if you keep a handful of freezer
> boxes to use over and over.

Thanks! I hate when you don't know if you're having chili or pasta sauce
for dinner. They look alike frozen.

nancy

Kathy

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "~patches~" > wrote
>
>> MoM wrote:

>>> There used to be black waxy pencils. My mom used them and I still have
>>> a couple.

>> I've seen black, red, and yellow wax pencils. I only have a black one
>> but it does the trick and they last forever without drying out. Most of
>> the office supply stores carry them. Our small butchersop and even the m
>> & p grocery store still uses these pencils.

> Would they wash off in hot soapy water, say for Tupperware type
> containers?
>
> nancy

Dry-erase markers work really well on plastic freezer containers. The words
stay on in the freezer but wash off fairly easily with soap and a scrub
sponge. The box top must be dry; like the OP said, ink pens don't write on
wet surfaces. But they're handy if you keep a handful of freezer boxes to
use over and over.

Kathy

~patches~

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Kathy" > wrote
>

>>"Nancy Young" > wrote

>>>Would they wash off in hot soapy water, say for Tupperware type
>>>containers?

>>Dry-erase markers work really well on plastic freezer containers. The
>>words stay on in the freezer but wash off fairly easily with soap and a
>>scrub sponge. The box top must be dry; like the OP said, ink pens don't
>>write on wet surfaces. But they're handy if you keep a handful of freezer
>>boxes to use over and over.

> Thanks! I hate when you don't know if you're having chili or pasta sauce
> for dinner. They look alike frozen.
>
> nancy

Mine don't since I put kidney beans in my chili and mushroom slices in
pasta sauce but not the reverse. It's good to know about the dry-erase
markers. It will come in handy. Thanks Kathy for the tip
Hal Laurent

"S'mee" > wrote in message

> First, write your info on a piece of freezer tape.

Freezer tape seems to be difficult to find nowadays, at least in
the supermarkets. I've been using masking tape since my last
roll of freezer tape ran out a few years ago, but it doesn't stick
as well in the freezer, especially on ziplock bags whose surface
can flex.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Marcella Peek

In article <A9_0f.11029$Vt3.10295@trnddc01>,
"Hal Laurent" > wrote:

> Freezer tape seems to be difficult to find nowadays, at least in
> the supermarkets. I've been using masking tape since my last
> roll of freezer tape ran out a few years ago, but it doesn't stick
> as well in the freezer, especially on ziplock bags whose surface
> can flex.
>
> Hal Laurent
> Baltimore

I use a Sharpie permanent marker to write on the ziplock bag. Since
that have that large white area with the logo, the writing there shows
up well. I haven't had any problem with the ink rubbing off.

marcella
Hal Laurent

"Marcella Peek" > wrote in message
> In article <A9_0f.11029$Vt3.10295@trnddc01>,
> "Hal Laurent" > wrote:
>
>> Freezer tape seems to be difficult to find nowadays, at least in
>> the supermarkets. I've been using masking tape since my last
>> roll of freezer tape ran out a few years ago, but it doesn't stick
>> as well in the freezer, especially on ziplock bags whose surface
>> can flex.

> I use a Sharpie permanent marker to write on the ziplock bag. Since
> that have that large white area with the logo, the writing there shows
> up well. I haven't had any problem with the ink rubbing off.

I do that too, but I do have problems sometimes with the ink rubbing
off.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Edwin Pawlowski

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> Thanks! I hate when you don't know if you're having chili or pasta sauce
> for dinner. They look alike frozen.

Last week I took out ham but we ate roast beef (previously cooked) for
dinner. Marking helps.

Derek Lyons

"Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> I've seen black, red, and yellow wax pencils. I only have a black one but
>> it does the trick and they last forever without drying out. Most of the
>> office supply stores carry them. Our small butchersop and even the m & p
>> grocery store still uses these pencils.

>Would they wash off in hot soapy water, say for Tupperware type
>containers?

Back in my Navy days, we found something lightly abrasive was the best
for cleaning wax pencils from plexiglass. The cleaner of choice was a
lightly moistened hunk of toilet paper dipped lightly into an ashtray.

I have no idea what they use now-a-days.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I use rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. ;-)

Sheesh, some folks will do anything for a high! LOL

That's also what the French hookers used, if it didn't burn it figured
it was safe... the 'talian hookers were too cheap to use paper towels,
they washed their tricks with a mouthful of dago red... didn't spit it
out either. hehe

Sheldon

Robert Green

"Sheldon" > wrote in message

http://www.mileskimball.com/shopping...emID=5526&item
Type=PRODUCT

> http://tinyurl.com/7o5td
>
> Frozen Food Labels

Congratulations! I've read through all the replies and freezer labels (if
they stick to already frozen cartons) seem to be the winning solution.
Walter Drake also carries freezer labels.

They solve another part of the problem that wasn't made clear in my original
post and wasn't touched on by other posters: there's precious little white
(or monotone) space to write any information on most prepared food boxes.

My folks use Peapod a lot. I can now prep up a number of date labels
written in clear, large black ink against a white background and Mom can
stick them on a forward facing edge of the box. With her arthritis in mind,
I want to keep it as simple as possible. If I can eliminate her wiping the
frost from each and every box before labeling, then the freezer labels will
have hit a home run.

Interestingly, the thread transmuted into writing on plastic
containers and bags instead of prepared food cartons. While grease pencils
*will* make a mark on something like a Stouffer's carton, with the four
color printing, it's almost impossible to see. Dry erase markers seem to
leave the thickest, clearest ink, but the surface has to be dried completely
and there can't be much churning of boxes in the freezer for the writing to
stay intact.

Masking tape, as someone noted, tends to fall off far too easily. Why
bother labeling if all you end up with is a heap of frozen labels on the
freezer bottom? Hopefully the freezer labels have a water-based adhesive
that actually benefits from a slightly frost-covered freezer carton. For
this weekend's delivery, I might try some white bandage tape.

This way, when I visit, I can rotate all the older stuff to the front and
the newer stuff to the back to help to avoid things getting totally
freezer-burned.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Nancy Young

"Robert Green" > wrote

> freezer bottom? Hopefully the freezer labels have a water-based adhesive
> that actually benefits from a slightly frost-covered freezer carton. For
> this weekend's delivery, I might try some white bandage tape.

Does your mother have a refrigerator that is not frost free?
Perhaps that's the solution, get her a new one.

nancy

Del Cecchi

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Robert Green" > wrote
>

>>freezer bottom? Hopefully the freezer labels have a water-based adhesive
>>that actually benefits from a slightly frost-covered freezer carton. For
>>this weekend's delivery, I might try some white bandage tape.

> Does your mother have a refrigerator that is not frost free?
> Perhaps that's the solution, get her a new one.
>
> nancy

sharpie marker. writes on slick surfaces, doesn't wipe off.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Robert Green

"Nancy Young" > wrote in

<stuff snipped>

> Does your mother have a refrigerator that is not frost free?

No.

> Perhaps that's the solution, get her a new one.

Perhaps it's not. Frost-free freezers cause far more freezer burn than
manual defrost ones because they actually have heating elements in them that
turn on at intervals to defrost the coils.

There are two distinct types of damage to frozen food that are typically
called "freezer burn." One type is often seen on the bottom of items on the
very bottom of a top-mounted freezer compartment because they are the
closest to the coil. The defrosting process can sometimes cause items on
the bottom to melt slightly and then refreeze with each defrost cycle, about
every six or eight hours.

A second type of "burn" happens because the process of melting the coil ice
also removes moisture from the air of a frost-free freezer. This makes
items that are not wrapped in moisture proof containers dry out much more
quickly than they would in manual defrost unit.

Didya ever wonder why ice cubes just seem to disappear if you leave them in
the tray too long? Well, "frost-free" is why. Ice cubes don't evaporate
like that in a manual freezer. The dehumidification process is also what
makes a clogged refrigerator whizz all over the floor when something goes
wrong (usually). There's no free lunch.

My concern that the old stuff be constantly rotated to the front and the new
stuff to the back is simple inventory management of perishables. First In,
First Out. I also want to make sure that things are rotated around so that
nothing spends too long a time on the bottom part of the freezer where the
frost-free heating elements are found.

To do that easily, I need some indication of when stuff came in. A nice
little freezer label with Oct7/5 or something like that is just what I need
to keep track of the freezer inventory. Using just a dry marker has
*really* helped cut down on food that has to be junked from freezer burn.

Thanks for you input. If you want to buy my Mom a new refrigerator, I'm all
for it. :-)

--
Bobby G.

Nancy Young

"Robert Green" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in

> Perhaps it's not. Frost-free freezers cause far more freezer burn than
> manual defrost ones because they actually have heating elements in them
> that
> turn on at intervals to defrost the coils.

Ah, I thought the issue was trying to write on boxes and your
mother trying to see what the item was. I hate to think of her
wiping ice off like that. Tough on older hands.

> A second type of "burn" happens because the process of melting the coil
> ice
> also removes moisture from the air of a frost-free freezer. This makes
> items that are not wrapped in moisture proof containers dry out much more
> quickly than they would in manual defrost unit.

Again, I thought you were talking about stuff in sealed boxes or
containers.

> Didya ever wonder why ice cubes just seem to disappear if you leave them
> in
> the tray too long?

No, I know why. I used to bring my own ice to my inlaws,
and also make new cubes for them while I was there. They would
just be withered away. Ice cubes are certainly not in a
moisture proof container, although if I'm saving up for some
reason, I put them in a tightly closed plastic bag. Sometimes
I'd bring bags to the inlaws to provide some kind of thermal
help for their mostly empty freezer.

Ice is very important to me. No lie, I probably go through
4 trays a day. Easily. Probably more.

> Well, "frost-free" is why. Ice cubes don't evaporate
> like that in a manual freezer. The dehumidification process is also what
> makes a clogged refrigerator whizz all over the floor when something goes
> wrong (usually). There's no free lunch.

Never happened to me, but boy did defrosting a non frost free
refrigerator make a hell of a mess.

> My concern that the old stuff be constantly rotated to the front and the
> new
> stuff to the back is simple inventory management of perishables. First
> In,
> First Out. I also want to make sure that things are rotated around so
> that
> nothing spends too long a time on the bottom part of the freezer where the
> frost-free heating elements are found.

Yes, that's why I thought being able to stick labels to relatively
dry boxes/whatever would help you out.

> To do that easily, I need some indication of when stuff came in. A nice
> little freezer label with Oct7/5 or something like that is just what I
> need
> to keep track of the freezer inventory. Using just a dry marker has
> *really* helped cut down on food that has to be junked from freezer burn.

I hate when that happens, that's why I bought a Tilia, but that's
neither here nor there regarding your situation.

> Thanks for you input. If you want to buy my Mom a new refrigerator, I'm
> all
> for it. :-)

(laugh) The way money's been flying out of here lately, not on my
'maybe next month' wishlist. I do have a brand new dishwasher, but
it's not frost free, either.

nancy

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"Robert Green" > wrote:

> Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how to
> label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
> product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
> plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough letter
> for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
> stamped on most cartons.

Just put a piece of standard masking tape on the container, then write
what you want on the tape with a magic marker.

Denny Wheeler

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:55:17 -0400, "Robert Green"
> wrote:

>Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how to
>label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
>surface, most marking pens just stop writing. Is there any sort of label
>product or marking pen especially designed for waxy frozen food boxes and
>plastic bags? All I want to do is put the date bought in big enough letter
>for my mom to read - she's not able to read the tiny expiration dates
>stamped on most cartons.
>
>TIA,

Masking tape and a Sharpie or laundry marker works fine. There's also
'freezer tape' which looks a lot like masking tape but costs about 3x
as much.
(you *may* have to run the tape all the way around the carton/package,
depending)
--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.