Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stock in cartons

One of the local "liquidation" stores in our area sometimes has
various brands of chicken and/or beef stock in cartons. It's usually
priced at CDN $1.00 for 900ml.
We buy a dozen cartons of the chicken stock and use it when cooking
rice. Works well and gives a lot more flavour to rice.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"phaeton" > wrote :

> How does that work, using stock for rice? You just substitute stock for
> water, equal amount?

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:38:54 -0600, phaeton >
wrote:

>I'm
>just curious because I eat rice probably 2-4 days a week on average. No
>particular reason, other than I really like it.

My brother is one of those white boys who for some crazy reason
absolutely loves rice - and it wasn't a family staple. Rice isn't
very high in my book of "must" eats either. Out of a hundred, maybe
it's a 5.

In any case, I married a rice eater... the kind that waxes nostalgic
saying "Remember when we used to have rice?" after not eating it for
less than a week. <sigh>

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 26 Feb 2009 09:18:01p, sf told us...

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:38:54 -0600, phaeton >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm
>>just curious because I eat rice probably 2-4 days a week on average. No
>>particular reason, other than I really like it.

> My brother is one of those white boys who for some crazy reason
> absolutely loves rice - and it wasn't a family staple. Rice isn't
> very high in my book of "must" eats either. Out of a hundred, maybe
> it's a 5.
>
> In any case, I married a rice eater... the kind that waxes nostalgic
> saying "Remember when we used to have rice?" after not eating it for
> less than a week. <sigh>

Most of my life I would barely eat ordinary plain rice except at Chinese
restaurants. I did like rice pilaf if it was loaded with other things.
However, in the past few years I find myself literally craving plain white
rice served with brown gravy. It's also one thing David really likes, so
we have it at least once every one to two weeks.

I have always like a well made rice pudding, however.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 04:31:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I have always like a well made rice pudding, however.

I like that... as well as tapioca pudding (small pearls, not large).

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 26 Feb 2009 09:42:19p, sf told us...

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 04:31:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I have always like a well made rice pudding, however.

> I like that... as well as tapioca pudding (small pearls, not large).

Our dessert tonight was chocolate tapioca pudding (small pearls).

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 10:31*pm, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
> On Thu 26 Feb 2009 09:18:01p, sf told us...
>
> > On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:38:54 -0600, phaeton >
> > wrote:

> >>I'm
> >>just curious because I eat rice probably 2-4 days a week on average. *No
> >>particular reason, other than I really like it.

> > My brother is one of those white boys who for some crazy reason
> > absolutely loves rice - and it wasn't a family staple. *Rice isn't
> > very high in my book of "must" eats either. *Out of a hundred, maybe
> > it's a 5.

> > In any case, I married a rice eater... the kind that waxes nostalgic
> > saying "Remember when we used to have rice?" after not eating it for
> > less than a week. *<sigh>

> Most of my life I would barely eat ordinary plain rice except at Chinese
> restaurants. *I did like rice pilaf if it was loaded with other things. *
> However, in the past few years I find myself literally craving plain white
> rice served with brown gravy. *It's also one thing David really likes, so
> we have it at least once every one to two weeks.
>
> I have always like a well made rice pudding, however.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> "One man's meat is another man's poison"
> * * * * * * *- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

===================================
Where do you "get" the brown gravy? And please don't tell me what
Oscar says to Felix in The Odd Couple . . . "It comes with the meat."
Lynn in Fargo
Always in search of good gravy . . . without cooking the roast (pork/
beef/chicken/turkey etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
> On Feb 26, 10:31 pm, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>> On Thu 26 Feb 2009 09:18:01p, sf told us...

>>> My brother is one of those white boys who for some crazy reason
>>> absolutely loves rice - and it wasn't a family staple. Rice isn't
>>> very high in my book of "must" eats either. Out of a hundred, maybe
>>> it's a 5.
>>> In any case, I married a rice eater... the kind that waxes nostalgic
>>> saying "Remember when we used to have rice?" after not eating it for
>>> less than a week. <sigh>

>> Most of my life I would barely eat ordinary plain rice except at Chinese
>> restaurants. I did like rice pilaf if it was loaded with other things.
>> However, in the past few years I find myself literally craving plain white
>> rice served with brown gravy. It's also one thing David really likes, so
>> we have it at least once every one to two weeks.
>>
>> I have always like a well made rice pudding, however.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> "One man's meat is another man's poison"
>> - Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

> ===================================
> Where do you "get" the brown gravy? And please don't tell me what
> Oscar says to Felix in The Odd Couple . . . "It comes with the meat."
> Lynn in Fargo
> Always in search of good gravy . . . without cooking the roast (pork/
> beef/chicken/turkey etc.

Does the brown gravy that comes in jars count? I see that a lot. I had
a roommate that would cook up a bunch of noodles and mushrooms and pour
this stuff on it. I tried it once, and it didn't change my life, but it
wasn't awful either. I've also seen packets of "just add water".

As for me... I'm certainly one of those crazy white boys that loves
rice. We had it sometimes as a kid, like with kidney beans or jambalaya
or such, but not every day. Somewhere around 7 years ago I started
really getting into the whole "beans and rice" thing, which I still
love. But in cases where I already have a 'main' course, I will make
couscous 1/10 of the time, and rice 9/10 of the time. Short grain, long
grain, jasmine, brown... i love it all. But especially jasmine rice.
Even in the case of sushi, i'm not so much into the types of rolls
that just have the nori wrap and no outer ring-o-rice. Pickled rice is
pretty much the reason I eat sushi.

All the Hmong and Vietnamese guys I work with freak out in the lunch
room when they see a crazy white boy eating rice as often as they do.
It's funny stuff..

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 11:49*pm, phaeton > wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
>

> > On Feb 26, 10:31 pm, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:
> >> On Thu 26 Feb 2009 09:18:01p, sf told us...

> >> Most of my life I would barely eat ordinary plain rice except at Chinese
> >> restaurants. *I did like rice pilaf if it was loaded with other things. *
> >> However, in the past few years I find myself literally craving plain white
> >> rice served with brown gravy. *It's also one thing David really likes, so
> >> we have it at least once every one to two weeks.

> >> I have always like a well made rice pudding, however.

> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> >> "One man's meat is another man's poison"
> >> * * * * * * *- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

> > ===================================
> > Where do you "get" the brown gravy? *And please don't tell me what
> > Oscar says to Felix in The Odd Couple . . . "It comes with the meat."
> > Lynn in Fargo
> > Always in search of good gravy . . . without *cooking the roast (pork/
> > beef/chicken/turkey etc.

> Does the brown gravy that comes in jars count? *I see that a lot. *I had
> a roommate that would cook up a bunch of noodles and mushrooms and pour
> this stuff on it. *I tried it once, and it didn't change my life, but it
> wasn't awful either. *I've also seen packets of "just add water".
>
> As for me... I'm certainly one of those crazy white boys that loves
> rice. *We had it sometimes as a kid, like with kidney beans or jambalaya
> or such, but not every day. *Somewhere around 7 years ago I started
> really getting into the whole "beans and rice" thing, which I still
> love. *But in cases where I already have a 'main' course, I will make
> couscous 1/10 of the time, and rice 9/10 of the time. *Short grain, long
> grain, jasmine, brown... i love it all. *But especially jasmine rice.
> * Even in the case of sushi, i'm not so much into the types of rolls
> that just have the nori wrap and no outer ring-o-rice. *Pickled rice is
> pretty much the reason I eat sushi.
>
> All the Hmong and Vietnamese guys I work with freak out in the lunch
> room when they see a crazy white boy eating rice as often as they do.
> It's funny stuff..
>
> -J

====================================
I counted over thirty different KINDS (not brands) of rice at my Asian
store. The owner is Cambodian and he markets to Indians, Africans,
Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thailand, Indonesia, Middle East & more.
They had red rice, sweet rice, yellow rice, black rice, sticky rice,
basmati rice (white and brown), sushi rice, arborio . . . .

Do you do Red Beans and Rice? I love that - New Orleans Style with a
cracked hambone and some good garlicky sausage. I also like Moros y
Cristanos (black beans & white rice). I'm not sure where that
particular name comes from but the best stuff I had was at a Cuban
restaurant in Little Havana - Miami.
Lynn in Fargo
Still using Uncle Ben's converted when I care if the grains are really
separate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 00:35:28 -0800 (PST), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

> I also like Moros y Cristanos (black beans & white rice). I'm not sure where that
>particular name comes from but the best stuff I had was at a Cuban
>restaurant in Little Havana - Miami.

If you've got a favourite recipe for that one I'd love to give it a
try ...

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:45:13 -0600, phaeton >

>> One of the local "liquidation" stores in our area sometimes has
>> various brands of chicken and/or beef stock in cartons. It's usually
>> priced at CDN $1.00 for 900ml.
>> We buy a dozen cartons of the chicken stock and use it when cooking
>> rice. Works well and gives a lot more flavour to rice.
>>
>> Ross.

>How does that work, using stock for rice? You just substitute stock for
>water, equal amount?
>
>-J

Yes. We gave up using water for making rice a long time ago. Home made
stock is much better but the stuff in cartons is a lot quicker.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Most of my life I would barely eat ordinary plain rice except at Chinese restaurants. I did like rice pilaf if it was loaded with other things. However, in the past few years I find myself literally craving plain white rice served with brown gravy. It's also one thing David really likes, so we have it at least once every one to two weeks.
>
> I have always like a well made rice pudding, however.

My mother was born in Louisiana, so we ate a lot of rice. Noodles came
in 2nd place and potatoes were 3rd. At school, they served rice almost
every day for lunch My Aunt Reba would serve rice for breakfast; Rice,
sprinkled with sugar, then you add milk. Needless to say, I love rice.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:

> I counted over thirty different KINDS (not brands) of rice at my Asian
> store. The owner is Cambodian and he markets to Indians, Africans,
> Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thailand, Indonesia, Middle East & more.
> They had red rice, sweet rice, yellow rice, black rice, sticky rice,
> basmati rice (white and brown), sushi rice, arborio . . . .
>
> Do you do Red Beans and Rice? I love that - New Orleans Style with a
> cracked hambone and some good garlicky sausage. I also like Moros y
> Cristanos (black beans & white rice). I'm not sure where that
> particular name comes from but the best stuff I had was at a Cuban
> restaurant in Little Havana - Miami.
> Lynn in Fargo
> Still using Uncle Ben's converted when I care if the grains are really
> separate.

Yum, I love black beans & rice. El Pollo Tropical, it is a fast food
restaurant, and that is the first place I go when I am in Miami. I
also like Las Vegas Cuban and the Latin American Cafe at Bayside.

Darn, now I am getting hungry.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote
> My mother was born in Louisiana, so we ate a lot of rice. Noodles came in
> 2nd place and potatoes were 3rd. At school, they served rice almost every
> day for lunch My Aunt Reba would serve rice for breakfast; Rice,
> sprinkled with sugar, then you add milk. Needless to say, I love rice.

Did you eat brown or white or both? I am starting to love brown rice.
Something about the texture of it, hot or cold. I made crispy roasted
chicken breasts with brown rice, gravy, and vegetables, then the next day
steamed some fresh asparagus and chopped it, added it with some chicken to
the brown rice with maybe a tablespoon of gravy and nuked it. It was
wonderful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote
> Yum, I love black beans & rice. El Pollo Tropical, it is a fast food
> restaurant, and that is the first place I go when I am in Miami. I also
> like Las Vegas Cuban and the Latin American Cafe at Bayside.
> Darn, now I am getting hungry.

I lived on BB and rice my first year out of school when I was making the
change from bartender to paper pusher. I'd simmer a bag of black beans for
hours with tons of garlic and cumin, fresh cracked pepper, salt to taste and
serve over rice with a sprinkle of cheddar. It was way too good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Most of my life I would barely eat ordinary plain rice except at
>> Chinese restaurants. I did like rice pilaf if it was loaded with
>> other things. However, in the past few years I find myself literally
>> craving plain white rice served with brown gravy. It's also one thing
>> David really likes, so we have it at least once every one to two weeks.
>>
>> I have always like a well made rice pudding, however.
>>

> My mother was born in Louisiana, so we ate a lot of rice. Noodles came
> in 2nd place and potatoes were 3rd. At school, they served rice almost
> every day for lunch My Aunt Reba would serve rice for breakfast; Rice,
> sprinkled with sugar, then you add milk. Needless to say, I love rice.
>
> Becca

My Mom was born in Oklahoma Territory but we still ate a lot of rice.
Dad would go to the rice warehouse about three miles from our house and
buy a 100 lb sack of rice. It was kept in the kitchen in a corner and a
one-cup measure sat in it all the time. Rice and gravy was a standard at
meal times.

Conversely, DW's family only ate rice as a breakfast cereal with milk
and sugar on it or as a rice pudding. I offered to cook a meal when we
were visiting once and went to the local supermarket and, for the first
time in my life, saw rice in one-lb packages. Ended up buying two lbs so
I could make the dish I wanted to have.

Sort of like the difference between Texas chili and that stuff the
people in Cincinnati, Ohio call chili.

Nowadays I only eat brown rice unless we are eating at an Oriental
restaurant where only white rice is served. Also true at Cajun
restaurants around here, white rice only.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

> Where do you "get" the brown gravy? And please don't tell me what
> Oscar says to Felix in The Odd Couple . . . "It comes with the meat."
> Lynn in Fargo
> Always in search of good gravy . . . without cooking the roast (pork/
> beef/chicken/turkey etc.

I've made gravy out of stock on many occasions.
There are powdered mixes, but I've personally never tried one.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:01:22 -0600, Becca > wrote:

>My mother was born in Louisiana,

<snip>
> My Aunt Reba

What a nice Suthun name! Was that her real name or a nickname?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:19:31 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>I am starting to love brown rice.

Me too! It has a wonderful "nutty" flavor (to me).

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:19:31 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> I am starting to love brown rice.

> Me too! It has a wonderful "nutty" flavor (to me).

Btw, in case y'all don't know, brown rice should be kept in he fridge
after opening it. Unlike white rice (which has an indefinite shelf
life), the bran content can actually go rancid.

I learned this one the hard way.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:19:31 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>I am starting to love brown rice.

> Me too! It has a wonderful "nutty" flavor (to me).

I had sushi for lunch the other day - spicy rolls made with brown rice.
To heck with the assortment trays, I've found my favorite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"phaeton" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:19:31 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am starting to love brown rice.

>> Me too! It has a wonderful "nutty" flavor (to me).
>>

> Btw, in case y'all don't know, brown rice should be kept in he fridge
> after opening it. Unlike white rice (which has an indefinite shelf life),
> the bran content can actually go rancid.
>

> I learned this one the hard way.

Thanks for the tip!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:19:31 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
> >I am starting to love brown rice.

> Me too! It has a wonderful "nutty" flavor (to me).

Have you tried red or black Barb? I like to mix the red and brown. 1
part red to two parts brown.

We quit buying white rice years ago.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:25:24 -0600, phaeton >
wrote:

>Btw, in case y'all don't know, brown rice should be kept in he fridge
>after opening it. Unlike white rice (which has an indefinite shelf
>life), the bran content can actually go rancid.
>

>I learned this one the hard way.

HUH! I've never put it in the refrigerator and it hasn't suffered...
but my house is usually down around refrigerator temperature anyway.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
phaeton > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:19:31 -0500, "cybercat" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I am starting to love brown rice.

> > Me too! It has a wonderful "nutty" flavor (to me).
> >

> Btw, in case y'all don't know, brown rice should be kept in he fridge
> after opening it. Unlike white rice (which has an indefinite shelf
> life), the bran content can actually go rancid.
>

> I learned this one the hard way.
>
> -J

Bummer.

I have the space in the hobart so keep all my dry goods in jars in the
bottom of it, including rice. Keeps the bugs out too.

Rice can also be frozen.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:29:40 -0600, Kathleen
> wrote:

>I had sushi for lunch the other day - spicy rolls made with brown rice.
> To heck with the assortment trays, I've found my favorite.

That's interesting! My niece is dating a guy who makes sushi (he
looks like a keeper) - I'll suggest brown rice to them. Happily, I'll
get to sample their experiment.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:25:24 -0600, phaeton >
> wrote:
>
> >Btw, in case y'all don't know, brown rice should be kept in he fridge
> >after opening it. Unlike white rice (which has an indefinite shelf
> >life), the bran content can actually go rancid.
> >

> >I learned this one the hard way.

> HUH! I've never put it in the refrigerator and it hasn't suffered...
> but my house is usually down around refrigerator temperature anyway.

<lol> My kind of house...
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:02:33 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:19:31 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I am starting to love brown rice.

>> Me too! It has a wonderful "nutty" flavor (to me).

>Have you tried red or black Barb? I like to mix the red and brown. 1
>part red to two parts brown.

I don't see them where I shop. Haven't noticed them at Trader Joe's
either, but I'll take a better look the next time I go there.

>We quit buying white rice years ago.

White rice is ok, just not my favorite starch. I prefer the shortest
grain I can find. Medium is our everyday go to rice and when I see
short grained rice, I buy it.

Mae West