Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default REQ for REC - Kolachky

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:09:41 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> It looks very much like a version of kolachky.

> Have you ever posted your recipe, Barb? I couldn't find it in Google.
>
> My grandfather came over on the boat from Bohemia when he was a little
> boy. I made my mom's recipe once, but no longer have access to it. I
> brought the kolaches to a Zastera family reunion, and the folks from
> the Old Country loved them. I don't remember much about them anymore,
> but I'd like to make them at least one more time. It's possible that
> they involved the use of yeast.
>
> Carol, a Good Bohunk

I'm typing this in the utility room with the computer on top of the
upright freezer cuz the router has died. Linksys, which I thought was
the top of the line. Lasted less than 8 months. Anyway...

You want a sweet yeasted dough; probably made with milk and eggs. Roll
the dough into balls, let them rise, then flatten. Make a deep
depression in the middles and fill with cooked dried apricots, or
prunes, or Solo poppyseed filling (etc.) Apple is my favorite. Rise
again but not much, bake, cool, then drizzle with just a little powdered
sugar and water glaze (optional).

I have several recipes, but I've never had them turn out right. But
"Green's Sausage House" in Zabcikville, Texas has set the bar really
high for me. (I'll drive 100 miles out of the way when I'm in Texas to
stop my there for kolaches and to buy some of their sausages.

Bob
(German, but there were plenty of good Bohunks and Polocks around when I
lived in Central Texas)