Old 15-02-2009, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default fish vs other seafood

I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

Old 15-02-2009, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message
I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
that reason.

Old 15-02-2009, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 1:08*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"James" wrote in message

I understand eating fish is healthy. *Is this also true of other
seafood? *I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
Omega 3 oil. *Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
that reason.

Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
lobster?
Old 15-02-2009, 07:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message

I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of
other seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and
crabs than just fish.

To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as
fish rich in Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and
not considered kosher for that reason.

Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
lobster?

A strictly observant Jew should never have tried lobster but I don't
think the question of the rationales for kosher rules needs discussing
again.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 15-02-2009, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message

I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
that reason.

Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
lobster?

Yup. No fins, no scales.

More for me.

Old 15-02-2009, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James said...

I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

James,

I believe that'll be a never-ending debate.

Shellfish (and catfish) being bottom feeders eating poison, ocean/mercury,
farm-raised/pcbs.

I love mahi mahi and poached salmon. Not big on clams, oysters or mussels.

And I'm all for FISH & CHIPS.

Best,

Andy
Old 15-02-2009, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
that reason.

Actually the fact that they don't have scales makes them unkosher. Many
fish with scales are bottom feeders.

Old 15-02-2009, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message

I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich
in
Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
that reason.

Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
lobster?

Yup. No fins, no scales.

More for me.

Not true. One is just as much a Jew if they don't observe kasruth... and in
fact most Jews today do not observe.

Old 15-02-2009, 08:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message
I understand eating fish is healthy.

Not for the fish. The word you want is *healthful*

Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

Eating raw crustaceans is pretty gross.

Bivalves are likely to contain harmful bacteria.

However finned fish are just as chemically contaminated as shell fish, and
in fact oily fish are far more contaminated.

Old 15-02-2009, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

"James" wrote in message

I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich
in
Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
that reason.

Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
lobster?

Yup. No fins, no scales.

More for me.

Not true. One is just as much a Jew if they don't observe kasruth... and in
fact most Jews today do not observe.

Observant orthodox jews, as implied in the original question, Shildo.

Old 15-02-2009, 08:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

Actually the fact that they don't have scales makes them unkosher. Many
fish with scales are bottom feeders.

really? lucas has scales?

--
hugs and love and stuff

seedy

Old 15-02-2009, 08:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
"James" wrote in message
I understand eating fish is healthy.

Not for the fish. The word you want is *healthful*

Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

Eating raw crustaceans is pretty gross.

Bivalves are likely to contain harmful bacteria.

However finned fish are just as chemically contaminated as shell fish, and
in fact oily fish are far more contaminated.

Everything in the ocean is affected by pollution.Levels of contamination
are higher in those sea creatures who live longer and which are higher
up the food chain.

Old 15-02-2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James said...

I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

I could "trial" some varieties of caviar.

I might have to be seaquestered!?!

Judge Andy
Old 15-02-2009, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message
I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

You understood wrong.

As a real fisherman, I would never eat fish. Most are full of parasites.
Many contain heavy metals in the flesh. Most states give a guide with your
fishing license. People are cautioned against eating any fish from some
rivers and lakes. They are also cautioned against eating fish more than once
or twice a month, from other rivers and lakes. I fish the Saint Lucy river
and the Indian river in Florida - I would never eat fish from either of
those waters. Last month I caught a Snook that was growing hair.

Eating raw shellfish is akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Stick with beef. pork, lamb or chicken. Or even horse. At least they are
pumped full of antibiotics.

Old 15-02-2009, 08:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message

I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.

To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
that reason.

Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
lobster?

Does your question imply that you are a bottom feeder?