Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default fish vs other seafood

I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
fish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
>I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
> fish.

To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
that reason.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 1:08*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "James" > wrote in message

> >I understand eating fish is healthy. *Is this also true of other
> > seafood? *I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
> > fish.

> To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
> Omega 3 oil. *Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
> that reason.

Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
lobster?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote on Sun, 15 Feb 2009 10:17:49 -0800 (PST):

> On Feb 15, 1:08 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>> "James" > wrote in message

> >> I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of
> >> other seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and
> >> crabs than just fish.

>> To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as
>> fish rich in Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and
>> not considered kosher for that reason.

>Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
>lobster?

A strictly observant Jew should never have tried lobster but I don't
think the question of the rationales for kosher rules needs discussing
again.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

> On Feb 15, 1:08 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>>"James" > wrote in message

>>>I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
>>>seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
>>>fish.

>>To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
>>Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
>>that reason.

> Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
> lobster?

Yup. No fins, no scales.

More for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James said...

> I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
> fish.

James,

I believe that'll be a never-ending debate.

Shellfish (and catfish) being bottom feeders eating poison, ocean/mercury,
farm-raised/pcbs.

I love mahi mahi and poached salmon. Not big on clams, oysters or mussels.

And I'm all for FISH & CHIPS.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "James" > wrote in message
>>I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
>> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
>> fish.

> To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
> Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
> that reason.

Actually the fact that they don't have scales makes them unkosher. Many
fish with scales are bottom feeders.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathleen" > wrote in message
> James wrote:

>>>To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich
>>>in
>>>Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
>>>that reason.

>> Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
>> lobster?

> Yup. No fins, no scales.
>
> More for me.

Not true. One is just as much a Jew if they don't observe kasruth... and in
fact most Jews today do not observe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
>I understand eating fish is healthy.

Not for the fish. The word you want is *healthful*

Is this also true of other
> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
> fish.

Eating raw crustaceans is pretty gross.

Bivalves are likely to contain harmful bacteria.

However finned fish are just as chemically contaminated as shell fish, and
in fact oily fish are far more contaminated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Kathleen" > wrote in message
>
>>James wrote:

>>>Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
>>>lobster?

>>Yup. No fins, no scales.
>>
>>More for me.

> Not true. One is just as much a Jew if they don't observe kasruth... and in
> fact most Jews today do not observe.

Observant orthodox jews, as implied in the original question, Shildo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> Actually the fact that they don't have scales makes them unkosher. Many
> fish with scales are bottom feeders.

really? lucas has scales?

--
hugs and love and stuff

seedy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> "James" > wrote in message
>> I understand eating fish is healthy.

> Not for the fish. The word you want is *healthful*
>
> Is this also true of other
>> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
>> fish.

> Eating raw crustaceans is pretty gross.
>
> Bivalves are likely to contain harmful bacteria.
>
> However finned fish are just as chemically contaminated as shell fish, and
> in fact oily fish are far more contaminated.

Everything in the ocean is affected by pollution.Levels of contamination
are higher in those sea creatures who live longer and which are higher
up the food chain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James said...

> I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
> fish.

I could "trial" some varieties of caviar.

I might have to be seaquestered!?!

Judge Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
>I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
> fish.

You understood wrong.

As a real fisherman, I would never eat fish. Most are full of parasites.
Many contain heavy metals in the flesh. Most states give a guide with your
fishing license. People are cautioned against eating any fish from some
rivers and lakes. They are also cautioned against eating fish more than once
or twice a month, from other rivers and lakes. I fish the Saint Lucy river
and the Indian river in Florida - I would never eat fish from either of
those waters. Last month I caught a Snook that was growing hair.

Eating raw shellfish is akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Stick with beef. pork, lamb or chicken. Or even horse. At least they are
pumped full of antibiotics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
On Feb 15, 1:08 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "James" > wrote in message

> >I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
> > seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
> > fish.

> To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
> Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
> that reason.

Does that mean Jews never get to experience the pleasure of eating
lobster?

Does your question imply that you are a bottom feeder?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:45:32 -0600, Andy > wrote:

>I could "trial" some varieties of caviar.
>
>I might have to be seaquestered!?!
>
>Judge Andy

THWACK!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel wrote on Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:26:26 -0600:

>> I could "trial" some varieties of caviar.
>>
>> I might have to be seaquestered!?!
>>
>> Judge Andy

>THWACK!!!

There used to be a very expensive restaurant in DC called "The Sea
Quest". It was not worth the prices it charged and seems to have gone.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "James" > wrote in message
>>>I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
>>> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
>>> fish.

>> To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich
>> in Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher
>> for that reason.

> Actually the fact that they don't have scales makes them unkosher. Many
> fish with scales are bottom feeders.

Fish That Is Allowed:

Fish must have both fins and scales that are detachable from the skin. All
fish which have them are allowed.

Fish That Is Not Allowed:

All shellfish (shrimp, lobster, clams, oysters, scallops, etc.) and
crustaceans (crabs, crayfish/crawfish, etc.)

Scavengers/"Bottom-feeders" (such as catfish, monkfish), unless they have
fins and scales.

Sturgeon (and, by extension, sturgeon caviar) and swordfish – some
Conservative opinion finds these acceptable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote to Damsel in dis Dress on Sun, 15 Feb 2009 20:37:11 GMT:

>>> I could "trial" some varieties of caviar.
>>>
>>> I might have to be seaquestered!?!
>>>
>>> Judge Andy

>> THWACK!!!

> There used to be a very expensive restaurant in DC called "The
> Sea Quest". It was not worth the prices it charged and seems
> to have gone.

Sorry, I got the name wrong. It's the "Sea Catch" and it's still there
but my comments on value are unchanged.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 20:37:11 +0000, James Silverton wrote:

> Damsel wrote on Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:26:26 -0600:
>
>>> I could "trial" some varieties of caviar.
>>>
>>> I might have to be seaquestered!?!
>>>
>>> Judge Andy

>>THWACK!!!

> There used to be a very expensive restaurant in DC called "The Sea
> Quest". It was not worth the prices it charged and seems to have gone.

But Fauchon in Paris, France, is still there to comfort you. In their
restaurant you can taste all kinds of caviar. <http://www.fauchon.com>
I did it with friends. One plate with all varieties, and then a lot of wat
you liked best. A happy afternoon, more so because it was not me to pay...

--
Groet, salut, Wim.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathleen" > wrote in message
> brooklyn1 wrote:

>>>Yup. No fins, no scales.
>>>
>>>More for me.

>> Not true. One is just as much a Jew if they don't observe kasruth... and
>> in fact most Jews today do not observe.

> Observant orthodox jews, as implied in the original question, Shildo.

Nothing was *implied*... KATHLEEN SHIT FOR BRAINS... you LOW IQ piece of
garbage. What would a dumb RC MICK know about KIKES.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"seedy" > wrote in message

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>
>> Actually the fact that they don't have scales makes them unkosher. Many
>> fish with scales are bottom feeders.
>>

> really? lucas has scales?

Snakes have scales.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zara" > wrote in message

> "James" > wrote in message
>>I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
>> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
>> fish.

> You understood wrong.
>
> As a real fisherman, I would never eat fish. Most are full of parasites.
> Many contain heavy metals in the flesh. Most states give a guide with
> your fishing license. People are cautioned against eating any fish from
> some rivers and lakes. They are also cautioned against eating fish more
> than once or twice a month, from other rivers and lakes. I fish the Saint
> Lucy river and the Indian river in Florida - I would never eat fish from
> either of those waters. Last month I caught a Snook that was growing
> hair.
>
> Eating raw shellfish is akin to playing Russian Roulette.
>
> Stick with beef. pork, lamb or chicken. Or even horse. At least they are
> pumped full of antibiotics.

As an experienced Lung Guyland fishermen myself I have to concur... except I
don't eat lamb because is stinks like sick pussy... good pussy is like
nibbling tender scungilli.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"seedy" > wrote in message

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>
>> Actually the fact that they don't have scales makes them unkosher. Many
>> fish with scales are bottom feeders.
>>

> really? lucas has scales?

You really need to get over your obsession with Peter Lucas. Grow up
already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
James > wrote:

> I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
> fish.

As one poster pointed out, the farther up the food chain a fish is, the
more likely it is to be contaminated with mercury and other toxins.
Shark, tuna, and swordfish should be eaten on an infrequent basis,
especially by pregnant women and children. Filter feeders (oysters,
mussels, clams) should come from known waters where contamination is
limited, especially if eaten raw. It can be particularly risky to eat
raw oysters and shellfish from warm water (Gulf of Mexico) during the
summer due to the risk of Vibrio vulnificus, a relative of the bacterium
that causes cholera.

Lobster, crab, and shrimp used to be dissed because of cholesterol
worries, but newer analytical techniques (and research studies) have
shown that their consumption will not raise blood cholesterol levels.
That said, the more important concern is what is eaten WITH these
critters (i.e., drawn butter).

For those who are concerned about toxins and overfishing, the Monterey
Bay Aquarium has a list of fish that can be eaten regularly or should be
eaten less frequently.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c...factsheet.aspx

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "James" > wrote in message
>> I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
>> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
>> fish.

> To varying degrees. Shellfish is not considered as healthy as fish rich in
> Omega 3 oil. Shellfish are bottom feeders and not considered kosher for
> that reason.

Also, shellfish contain more cholesterol than finned fish.

go to: http://www.swedish.org/16448.cfm

and scroll down to the "Shellfish Nutritional Information" chart.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "seedy" > wrote in message
>>
>> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Actually the fact that they don't have scales makes them unkosher. Many
>>> fish with scales are bottom feeders.
>>>

>> really? lucas has scales?
>>

> You really need to get over your obsession with Peter Lucas. Grow up
> already.

who the hell are you referring to? i don't even know the jerk

--
hugs and love and stuff

seedy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress said...

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:45:32 -0600, Andy > wrote:
>
>>I could "trial" some varieties of caviar.
>>
>>I might have to be seaquestered!?!
>>
>>Judge Andy

> THWACK!!!

Damsel,

DIDN'T HURT!!!

What a relief. Thought you'd lost it!

Thanks,

Andy
Ain't misbehavin'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "zara" > wrote in message
>>
>> "James" > wrote in message
>>>I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of other
>>> seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and crabs than just
>>> fish.

>> You understood wrong.
>>
>> As a real fisherman, I would never eat fish. Most are full of parasites.
>> Many contain heavy metals in the flesh. Most states give a guide with
>> your fishing license. People are cautioned against eating any fish from
>> some rivers and lakes. They are also cautioned against eating fish more
>> than once or twice a month, from other rivers and lakes. I fish the Saint
>> Lucy river and the Indian river in Florida - I would never eat fish from
>> either of those waters. Last month I caught a Snook that was growing
>> hair.
>>
>> Eating raw shellfish is akin to playing Russian Roulette.
>>
>> Stick with beef. pork, lamb or chicken. Or even horse. At least they are
>> pumped full of antibiotics.
>>

> As an experienced Lung Guyland fishermen myself I have to concur... except
> I don't eat lamb because is stinks like sick pussy... good pussy is like
> nibbling tender scungilli.

Ah! A true connoisseur. But there is a time and place for the sick
pussies. As a fisherman, you would know the expression; "any port in a
storm".

FYI: I fished LIS up until I moved a couple of years ago. Great for Blues
and Bass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:51:13 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Kathleen" > wrote in message
>> brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Not true. One is just as much a Jew if they don't observe kasruth... and
>>> in fact most Jews today do not observe.

>> Observant orthodox jews, as implied in the original question, Shildo.
>>

> Nothing was *implied*... KATHLEEN SHIT FOR BRAINS... you LOW IQ piece of
> garbage. What would a dumb RC MICK know about KIKES.

what kind of jew eats spam? your rabbi would *plotz*.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote on Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:43:28 -0800:

>> I understand eating fish is healthy. Is this also true of
>> other seafood? I'd rather eat raw oysters, lobsters and
>> crabs than just fish.

> Lobster, crab, and shrimp used to be dissed because of
> cholesterol worries, but newer analytical techniques (and
> research studies) have shown that their consumption will not
> raise blood cholesterol levels.

> For those who are concerned about toxins and overfishing, the
> Monterey Bay Aquarium has a list of fish that can be eaten
> regularly or should be eaten less frequently.

> http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c...factsheet.aspx

That's a useful listing and I tend to keep a copy of the recommendations
in my wallet. Currently, medical advice is that eating shrimps etc. (and
eggs) "in moderation" is not particularly harmful. Medical people love
to hedge their bets and ruin things with that quoted phrase :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland