Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Barack Obama's Chili Recipe

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I always like to see other people's chili recipes. Unlike the Chili Cookoff
> folks who have a set of rules and personal stringent guidlines, the rest of
> us make chili the way we like it, the way Mom made it, in general the way it
> was made where we grew up. Very little tomato in Obama's -- not sure I
> would like it that way. But then my chili can vary by what is growing in
> the garden and what is in the cupboard.
> Janet

My daughter has informed me that she doesn't want to consume this
chili. Assuming I can get to the store (we are having a snow
storm), I will get the ingredients and make this for myself (out
of curiosity) and she can eat canned chili. We'll have pumpkin
pie for dessert, since that has been mentioned as one of the sweet
things Obama enjoys.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote
> My daughter has informed me that she doesn't want to consume this chili.
> Assuming I can get to the store (we are having a snow storm), I will get
> the ingredients and make this for myself (out of curiosity) and she can
> eat canned chili.

His chili is much like my oft-but-unfairly-maligned chili. Except I brown
the onions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:20:15 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Jean B." > wrote
>> My daughter has informed me that she doesn't want to consume this chili.
>> Assuming I can get to the store (we are having a snow storm), I will get
>> the ingredients and make this for myself (out of curiosity) and she can
>> eat canned chili.

>His chili is much like my oft-but-unfairly-maligned chili. Except I brown
>the onions.

Brown the onions, 'Cat? More Sweetness (as if you weren't
sweet enuff). So do you add vinegar to balance sweet and
sour?

Alex, who's actually thinking of making a batch of
Cincinatti style goop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 1:02*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > I always like to see other people's chili recipes. *Unlike the Chili Cookoff
> > folks who have a set of rules and personal stringent guidlines, the rest of
> > us make chili the way we like it, the way Mom made it, in general the way it
> > was made where we grew up. *Very little tomato in Obama's -- not sure I
> > would like it that way. *But then my chili can vary by what is growing in
> > the garden and what is in the cupboard.
> > Janet

> My daughter has informed me that she doesn't want to consume this
> chili. *Assuming I can get to the store (we are having a snow
> storm), I will get the ingredients and make this for myself (out
> of curiosity) and she can eat canned chili. *We'll have pumpkin
> pie for dessert, since that has been mentioned as one of the sweet
> things Obama enjoys.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Don'tcha just love teenagers? <g> Throw a couple of taters in then
oven to bake, and let her dress those for dinner. Make it sweet
potatoes, and it's almost healthy<g>

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 6:01*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> As an offshoot of another thread, I thought I'd rather cook
> something that isn't glitzy, something that Obama enjoys. *Turns
> out he is reported to like takeout from a pizzeria, shrimp and
> grits, and his own chili. *His recipe is available at:
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...recipe_n_89826....
>
> This deviates from MY chili in a number of ways, but I might just
> do this on Tuesday. *And why? *Because I feel like celebrating in
> my own small way.
> --
> Jean B.

No doubt Obama grew up with and has a taste for the local Hawaiian-
style chili which is pretty unique. Hawaiian-style chili is rather
soupy and contains no corn flour as a thickener. It's made with ground
beef and always contains beans - mostly canned kidney beans. It tends
to be on the sweet side and is eaten on white rice. It's obvious that
he has eaten a lot of Zippy's Chili from that popular local restaurant
chain. I've eaten a lot of the stuff too. I will aways get it with
cheese and onions on top. The local rumors that I've heard is that the
secret ingredient in Zippy's chili is mayo but don't tell anybody that

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> No doubt Obama grew up with and has a taste for the local Hawaiian-
> style chili which is pretty unique. Hawaiian-style chili is rather
> soupy and contains no corn flour as a thickener. It's made with ground
> beef and always contains beans - mostly canned kidney beans. It tends
> to be on the sweet side and is eaten on white rice. It's obvious that
> he has eaten a lot of Zippy's Chili from that popular local restaurant
> chain. I've eaten a lot of the stuff too. I will aways get it with
> cheese and onions on top. The local rumors that I've heard is that the
> secret ingredient in Zippy's chili is mayo but don't tell anybody that
> I said so - after all, I have a wife and kids... :-)

Sweet? At least his recipe has no sweetener in it!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 8:05*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > No doubt Obama grew up with and has a taste for the local Hawaiian-
> > style chili which is pretty unique. Hawaiian-style chili is rather
> > soupy and contains no corn flour as a thickener. It's made with ground
> > beef and always contains beans - mostly canned kidney beans. It tends
> > to be on the sweet side and is eaten on white rice. It's obvious that
> > he has eaten a lot of Zippy's Chili from that popular local restaurant
> > chain. I've eaten a lot of the stuff too. I will aways get it with
> > cheese and onions on top. The local rumors that I've heard is that the
> > secret ingredient in Zippy's chili is mayo but don't tell anybody that
> > I said so - after all, I have a wife and kids... :-)

> Sweet? *At least his recipe has no sweetener in it!
>
> --
> Jean B.

Many folks have tried to come up with their version of this dish, I
suspect there is some sugar in there. The sweetness could be from the
addition of ketchup too. There's talk of a secret ingredient but
nobody quite know how to recreate this. I've seen a recipe that
includes cream of mushroom soup. Haha. Zippy's chili is supposed to be
based on Cincinnati-style chili but I know nothing about that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> As an offshoot of another thread, I thought I'd rather cook
> something that isn't glitzy, something that Obama enjoys. Turns
> out he is reported to like takeout from a pizzeria, shrimp and
> grits, and his own chili. His recipe is available at:
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...e_n_89826.html
>
> This deviates from MY chili in a number of ways, but I might just
> do this on Tuesday. And why? Because I feel like celebrating in
> my own small way.

At least he knows how to cook. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 11:01*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> As an offshoot of another thread, I thought I'd rather cook
> something that isn't glitzy, something that Obama enjoys. *Turns
> out he is reported to like takeout from a pizzeria, shrimp and
> grits, and his own chili. *His recipe is available at:
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...recipe_n_89826....
>
> This deviates from MY chili in a number of ways, but I might just
> do this on Tuesday. *And why? *Because I feel like celebrating in
> my own small way.

I tried this recipe (well, sort of) and the family liked it. Did make
a few changes for preferences and what what on hand:

Quadrupled the seasonings, except for the chili powder which I was out
of. Used 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper.
subbed shallots for the green pepper (kidlet doesn't like cooked
peppers)
Used TVP instead of the ground meat, and an extra teaspoon of oil.
Used a tsp of salt which was not called for in the recipe.
Used a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, since no fresh ones on hand
Used 2 cups of frozen black eyed peas instead of can of kidney beans
Added a couple of bay leaves.
Added 3 oz tomato paste and a half cup of vegetable broth
Added a pinch of hing for the gas.

Otherwise, it was the exact same recipe....
;-)
We liked it.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> I tried this recipe (well, sort of) and the family liked it. Did make
> a few changes for preferences and what what on hand:
>
> Quadrupled the seasonings, except for the chili powder which I was out
> of. Used 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper.
> subbed shallots for the green pepper (kidlet doesn't like cooked
> peppers)
> Used TVP instead of the ground meat, and an extra teaspoon of oil.
> Used a tsp of salt which was not called for in the recipe.
> Used a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, since no fresh ones on hand
> Used 2 cups of frozen black eyed peas instead of can of kidney beans
> Added a couple of bay leaves.
> Added 3 oz tomato paste and a half cup of vegetable broth
> Added a pinch of hing for the gas.
>
> Otherwise, it was the exact same recipe....
> ;-)
> We liked it.
>
> maxine in ri

Cripes, you changed everything but the name!
Glad you all liked it, or someone would have blamed it on Obama.
;-)

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 9:48*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
>
> > I tried this recipe (well, sort of) and the family liked it. *Did make
> > a few changes for preferences and what what on hand:

> > Quadrupled the seasonings, except for the chili powder which I was out
> > of. *Used 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper.
> > subbed shallots for the green pepper (kidlet doesn't like cooked
> > peppers)
> > Used TVP instead of the ground meat, and an extra teaspoon of oil.
> > Used a tsp of salt which was not called for in the recipe.
> > Used a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, since no fresh ones on hand
> > Used 2 cups of frozen black eyed peas instead of can of kidney beans
> > Added a couple of bay leaves.
> > Added 3 oz tomato paste and a half cup of vegetable broth
> > Added a pinch of hing for the gas.

> > Otherwise, it was the exact same recipe....
> > ;-)
> > We liked it.

> > maxine in ri

> Cripes, you changed everything but the name!
> Glad you all liked it, or someone would have blamed it on Obama.
> ;-)

I've said it befo I'm incapableof following a recipe. To me, they
all cry out for something else.

maxine in newton, MA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Jan 18, 9:48 pm, Gloria P > wrote:
>> maxine in ri wrote:
>>
>>> I tried this recipe (well, sort of) and the family liked it. Did make
>>> a few changes for preferences and what what on hand:
>>> Quadrupled the seasonings, except for the chili powder which I was out
>>> of. Used 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper.
>>> subbed shallots for the green pepper (kidlet doesn't like cooked
>>> peppers)
>>> Used TVP instead of the ground meat, and an extra teaspoon of oil.
>>> Used a tsp of salt which was not called for in the recipe.
>>> Used a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, since no fresh ones on hand
>>> Used 2 cups of frozen black eyed peas instead of can of kidney beans
>>> Added a couple of bay leaves.
>>> Added 3 oz tomato paste and a half cup of vegetable broth
>>> Added a pinch of hing for the gas.
>>> Otherwise, it was the exact same recipe....
>>> ;-)
>>> We liked it.
>>> maxine in ri

>> Cripes, you changed everything but the name!
>> Glad you all liked it, or someone would have blamed it on Obama.
>> ;-)
>>

> I've said it befo I'm incapableof following a recipe. To me, they
> all cry out for something else.
>
> maxine in newton, MA

Oh, that is MA. How long are you going to be there? Do you know
NE Mobile Book Fair...? :-)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 19, 1:44*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > maxine in newton, MA

> Oh, that is MA. *How long are you going to be there? *Do you know
> NE Mobile Book Fair...? *:-)
>
> Jean B.-

I'm just here til 6:30 or so when my sister comes home. Her regular
aide called in sick so I'm Mom-sitting. Will be here over the weekend
if you're headed for the Book Fair. More off-line.

maxine in newton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine in ri > wrote:

> On Jan 17, 11:01*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> > As an offshoot of another thread, I thought I'd rather cook
> > something that isn't glitzy, something that Obama enjoys. *Turns
> > out he is reported to like takeout from a pizzeria, shrimp and
> > grits, and his own chili. *His recipe is available at:
> >
> > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...s-chili-recipe n 89826....
> >
> > This deviates from MY chili in a number of ways, but I might just
> > do this on Tuesday. *And why? *Because I feel like celebrating in
> > my own small way.

> I tried this recipe (well, sort of) and the family liked it. Did make
> a few changes for preferences and what what on hand:
>
> Quadrupled the seasonings, except for the chili powder which I was out
> of. Used 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper.
> subbed shallots for the green pepper (kidlet doesn't like cooked
> peppers)
> Used TVP instead of the ground meat, and an extra teaspoon of oil.
> Used a tsp of salt which was not called for in the recipe.
> Used a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, since no fresh ones on hand
> Used 2 cups of frozen black eyed peas instead of can of kidney beans
> Added a couple of bay leaves.
> Added 3 oz tomato paste and a half cup of vegetable broth
> Added a pinch of hing for the gas.
>
> Otherwise, it was the exact same recipe....
> ;-)
> We liked it.
>
> maxine in ri

<snicker>
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Jan 17, 11:01 am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> As an offshoot of another thread, I thought I'd rather cook
>> something that isn't glitzy, something that Obama enjoys. Turns
>> out he is reported to like takeout from a pizzeria, shrimp and
>> grits, and his own chili. His recipe is available at:
>>
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...recipe_n_89826....
>>
>> This deviates from MY chili in a number of ways, but I might just
>> do this on Tuesday. And why? Because I feel like celebrating in
>> my own small way.

> I tried this recipe (well, sort of) and the family liked it. Did make
> a few changes for preferences and what what on hand:
>
> Quadrupled the seasonings, except for the chili powder which I was out
> of. Used 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper.
> subbed shallots for the green pepper (kidlet doesn't like cooked
> peppers)
> Used TVP instead of the ground meat, and an extra teaspoon of oil.
> Used a tsp of salt which was not called for in the recipe.
> Used a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, since no fresh ones on hand
> Used 2 cups of frozen black eyed peas instead of can of kidney beans
> Added a couple of bay leaves.
> Added 3 oz tomato paste and a half cup of vegetable broth
> Added a pinch of hing for the gas.
>
> Otherwise, it was the exact same recipe....
> ;-)
> We liked it.
>
> maxine in ri

Heh! You know I saw this elsewhere. I am happy to have that
feedback ere I go shopping today. (I was just digging out.)

I have never thought of using hing in chili.... Is it discernable?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 19, 1:39*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I have never thought of using hing in chili.... *Is it discernable?
>
> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

Not in the least. And it must have worked--my digestion has been very
quiet today.

<G>

maxine in newton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Jan 19, 1:39 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I have never thought of using hing in chili.... Is it discernable?
>>
>> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

> Not in the least. And it must have worked--my digestion has been very
> quiet today.
>
> <G>
>
> maxine in newton

I will try that then. Thanks for the tip. Do you put hing in all
of your legume preparations?

--
Jean B.