Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri maxine in ri is offline

Default Barack Obama's Chili Recipe

On Jan 17, 11:01*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> As an offshoot of another thread, I thought I'd rather cook
> something that isn't glitzy, something that Obama enjoys. *Turns
> out he is reported to like takeout from a pizzeria, shrimp and
> grits, and his own chili. *His recipe is available at:
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...recipe_n_89826....
>
> This deviates from MY chili in a number of ways, but I might just
> do this on Tuesday. *And why? *Because I feel like celebrating in
> my own small way.

I tried this recipe (well, sort of) and the family liked it. Did make
a few changes for preferences and what what on hand:

Quadrupled the seasonings, except for the chili powder which I was out
of. Used 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper.
subbed shallots for the green pepper (kidlet doesn't like cooked
peppers)
Used TVP instead of the ground meat, and an extra teaspoon of oil.
Used a tsp of salt which was not called for in the recipe.
Used a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, since no fresh ones on hand
Used 2 cups of frozen black eyed peas instead of can of kidney beans
Added a couple of bay leaves.
Added 3 oz tomato paste and a half cup of vegetable broth
Added a pinch of hing for the gas.

Otherwise, it was the exact same recipe....
;-)
We liked it.

maxine in ri