Grunt Huckett

Default Microwave ventilation

I've decided to upgrade most of my appliances and was wondering about which
size microwave to get. Word over at www.choice.com.au is that the
auto-sensing Sharps are pretty impressive and the express defrost really
appeals to a lazy minimalist like myself. The midsize leaves just over an
inch clearance on each side of the cavity it will live in, whereas the large
will squeeze in with only half an inch clearance. I'd rather get the bigger
unit and it would fill the hole better, but the manufacturer recommends at
least 50mm clearance on each side for ventilation. Now I'm no expert on
ventilation and microwaves, but given the sides and top don't actually have
any air vents, exactly how important could this clearance be?

Anyone got an opinion?

Vox Humana

"Grunt Huckett" > wrote in message
u...
> I've decided to upgrade most of my appliances and was wondering about

which
> size microwave to get. Word over at www.choice.com.au is that the
> auto-sensing Sharps are pretty impressive and the express defrost really
> appeals to a lazy minimalist like myself. The midsize leaves just over an
> inch clearance on each side of the cavity it will live in, whereas the

large
> will squeeze in with only half an inch clearance. I'd rather get the

bigger
> unit and it would fill the hole better, but the manufacturer recommends at
> least 50mm clearance on each side for ventilation. Now I'm no expert on
> ventilation and microwaves, but given the sides and top don't actually

have
> any air vents, exactly how important could this clearance be?
>
> Anyone got an opinion?

I have a Sharp over the range microwave/convection oven. When using the
microwave only settings, the top of the unit gets remarkably hot after about
10 minutes of use. I'm talking too hot to comfortably touch. Ironically,
when I use it in the convection mode, the oven turn on the ventilation fan
at an extra-low speed to draw air around the case to keep it cool I would
take the manufacturer's advice and leave adequate ventilation. Without good
ventilation, the electronics might die prematurely. I would also give the
Sharp unit a good review. All the pre-programmed and auto-sense functions
work very well.