cowboy

Default Ventilation question

Hello,
I hope this is the right forum for this question. I'm in the process of
building a new home, and will have a kitchen island with cooktop. there is
a downdraft, with a 6" vent to outside in the slab, under the island. I've
decided to blow my budget and go with a 36" gas viking cooktop (the pro
model with heavy grates - VGSU1616). I was planning to use the viking pro
popup downdraft VIPR 161, but it says it is for use with non grill models
only. This is kind of confusing, because there is a similar line of
designer popups which can be used with the designer series cooktop which
have grates.

the only other option is to use an overhead hood, but this will add about
$2500 to the project, and I'm already seriously over budget.

any thoughts or experience in useig a popup vent with this particular
cooktop?

thanks

Philip Weiss

Any downdraft vent including the "pop-up" vents are totally inadequate when
used with a grill.
The grill just puts out too much smoke and grease for the downdraft to
handle.

"cowboy" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> I hope this is the right forum for this question. I'm in the process of
> building a new home, and will have a kitchen island with cooktop. there

is
> a downdraft, with a 6" vent to outside in the slab, under the island.

I've
> decided to blow my budget and go with a 36" gas viking cooktop (the pro
> model with heavy grates - VGSU1616). I was planning to use the viking pro
> popup downdraft VIPR 161, but it says it is for use with non grill models
> only. This is kind of confusing, because there is a similar line of
> designer popups which can be used with the designer series cooktop which
> have grates.
>
> the only other option is to use an overhead hood, but this will add about
> $2500 to the project, and I'm already seriously over budget.
>
> any thoughts or experience in useig a popup vent with this particular
> cooktop?
>
> thanks

Peter Aitken

"cowboy" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> I hope this is the right forum for this question. I'm in the process of
> building a new home, and will have a kitchen island with cooktop. there

is
> a downdraft, with a 6" vent to outside in the slab, under the island.

I've
> decided to blow my budget and go with a 36" gas viking cooktop (the pro
> model with heavy grates - VGSU1616). I was planning to use the viking pro
> popup downdraft VIPR 161, but it says it is for use with non grill models
> only. This is kind of confusing, because there is a similar line of
> designer popups which can be used with the designer series cooktop which
> have grates.
>
> the only other option is to use an overhead hood, but this will add about
> $2500 to the project, and I'm already seriously over budget.
>
> any thoughts or experience in useig a popup vent with this particular
> cooktop?
>
> thanks

I do not have experience with that specific cooktop but I do know about
popup vents - they are basically worthless. At best they remove some of the
heat and smell. Seeing that heat and smells go upward, I think you can see
the futility of trying to suck them down or sideways. Some people have
complained that these vents blow out the flame of the cooktop too. A good
overhead hood is a real plus and IMO is worth stretching the budget.

--
Peter Aitken

cowboy

Yes, I was misinterpreting grill and grate. I had an indoor grill once and
never used it because it was so messy

thanks

"Philip Weiss" > wrote in message
> Any downdraft vent including the "pop-up" vents are totally inadequate

when
> used with a grill.
> The grill just puts out too much smoke and grease for the downdraft to
> handle.
>

> "cowboy" > wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I hope this is the right forum for this question. I'm in the process of
> > building a new home, and will have a kitchen island with cooktop. there

> is
> > a downdraft, with a 6" vent to outside in the slab, under the island.

> I've
> > decided to blow my budget and go with a 36" gas viking cooktop (the pro
> > model with heavy grates - VGSU1616). I was planning to use the viking

pro
> > popup downdraft VIPR 161, but it says it is for use with non grill

models
> > only. This is kind of confusing, because there is a similar line of
> > designer popups which can be used with the designer series cooktop which
> > have grates.
> >
> > the only other option is to use an overhead hood, but this will add

about
> > $2500 to the project, and I'm already seriously over budget.
> >
> > any thoughts or experience in useig a popup vent with this particular
> > cooktop?
> >
> > thanks

cowboy

Yes, I thought this was probably the case, I was hoping to avoid the
overhead, because everyone in the family is tall (6'3 to 6'8) and we always
cracked our skull on the last one we had...in fact it had numerous dents in
it...not from our heads...but from getting ****ed off and punching it

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
news
> "cowboy" > wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I hope this is the right forum for this question. I'm in the process of
> > building a new home, and will have a kitchen island with cooktop. there

> is
> > a downdraft, with a 6" vent to outside in the slab, under the island.

> I've
> > decided to blow my budget and go with a 36" gas viking cooktop (the pro
> > model with heavy grates - VGSU1616). I was planning to use the viking

pro
> > popup downdraft VIPR 161, but it says it is for use with non grill

models
> > only. This is kind of confusing, because there is a similar line of
> > designer popups which can be used with the designer series cooktop which
> > have grates.
> >
> > the only other option is to use an overhead hood, but this will add

about
> > $2500 to the project, and I'm already seriously over budget.
> >
> > any thoughts or experience in useig a popup vent with this particular
> > cooktop?
> >
> > thanks
> >

> I do not have experience with that specific cooktop but I do know about
> popup vents - they are basically worthless. At best they remove some of

the
> heat and smell. Seeing that heat and smells go upward, I think you can see
> the futility of trying to suck them down or sideways. Some people have
> complained that these vents blow out the flame of the cooktop too. A good
> overhead hood is a real plus and IMO is worth stretching the budget.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Peter Aitken

"cowboy" > wrote in message
> Yes, I thought this was probably the case, I was hoping to avoid the
> overhead, because everyone in the family is tall (6'3 to 6'8) and we

always
> cracked our skull on the last one we had...in fact it had numerous dents

in
> it...not from our heads...but from getting ****ed off and punching it

If you get a wider than normal overhead hood and mount it higher than
normal, you might be able to get good venting while sparing the noggins.

--
Peter Aitken

Vox Humana

"cowboy" > wrote in message
> Yes, I thought this was probably the case, I was hoping to avoid the
> overhead, because everyone in the family is tall (6'3 to 6'8) and we

always
> cracked our skull on the last one we had...in fact it had numerous dents

in
> it...not from our heads...but from getting ****ed off and punching it

Can you have the kitchen design modified? I don't understand why everyone
wants to put cooktops in an island. I can see having a sink, especially a
secondary prep sink in an island, but not a cooktop. There is too much mess
and too much smoke, especially with a grill. Downdraft ventilation isn't
very good and it seems that few people want to obstruct the view with
overhead ventilation.

cowboy

No, too late for that. All the wired and plumbed in.

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "cowboy" > wrote in message
> > Yes, I thought this was probably the case, I was hoping to avoid the
> > overhead, because everyone in the family is tall (6'3 to 6'8) and we

> always
> > cracked our skull on the last one we had...in fact it had numerous dents

> in
> > it...not from our heads...but from getting ****ed off and punching it

> Can you have the kitchen design modified? I don't understand why everyone
> wants to put cooktops in an island. I can see having a sink, especially a
> secondary prep sink in an island, but not a cooktop. There is too much

mess
> and too much smoke, especially with a grill. Downdraft ventilation isn't
> very good and it seems that few people want to obstruct the view with
> overhead ventilation.

LC

On one of the "Ultimate Kitchens" epioses (seen on Food TV) there was a tour
of Rick Bayless' kitchen. (He is owner of Frontera Grill in Chicago and
Mexican food writer.) He did not want to punch a hole in his old, tin
ceiling, and raves about his downdraft vent. He says it's absolutely fine,
even when deep-frying and blackening chiles.
I think the best installation is an overhead vent, but there are times when
a downdraft has to be the way to go.

Laurie

Vox Humana

"LC" > wrote in message
> On one of the "Ultimate Kitchens" epioses (seen on Food TV) there was a

tour
> of Rick Bayless' kitchen. (He is owner of Frontera Grill in Chicago and
> Mexican food writer.) He did not want to punch a hole in his old, tin
> ceiling, and raves about his downdraft vent. He says it's absolutely

fine,
> even when deep-frying and blackening chiles.
> I think the best installation is an overhead vent, but there are times

when
> a downdraft has to be the way to go.
>
> Laurie

I saw that episode and just shook my head. I wonder if he got a deal on the
equipment. Anyway, grilling vegetables doesn't produce the volume of greasy
smoke that six porterhouse steaks will.