Skeeter

Default Range ventilation question

Am building and need alittle advice on the range hood. The range top is
being installed against a wall. On the other side of the wall is the
garage. On the 2d floor above the range is a hallway. The ductwork will be
10". Here is the link to the basic layout of the floorplan:
http://www.frankbetz.com/x_plan_info.html?pn=1238&vw=3

If I run the dcuct through the garage and straight out the wall to the left
of the garage door my contractor says it will not look that great and cause
grease to drip and discolor the brick. Are there any solutions for this
type
of problem? I know you can't put too many turns in the ductwork or else you
decrease the effectiveness of the fan and cause grease buildup. The
rangetop will be a DCS 36" pro style with 4 17.5k btu burners and a grill in
the middle.

My builder said to maybe use a downdraft vent but all I read about them
seems to indicate that they aren't really good for this kind of application
(or any other...).

Any one have any advice for this?
Thanks for your time.
skeeter

Peter Aitken

"Skeeter" > wrote in message
> Am building and need alittle advice on the range hood. The range top is
> being installed against a wall. On the other side of the wall is the
> garage. On the 2d floor above the range is a hallway. The ductwork will

be
> 10". Here is the link to the basic layout of the floorplan:
> http://www.frankbetz.com/x_plan_info.html?pn=1238&vw=3
>
> If I run the dcuct through the garage and straight out the wall to the

left
> of the garage door my contractor says it will not look that great and

cause
> grease to drip and discolor the brick. Are there any solutions for this
> type
> of problem? I know you can't put too many turns in the ductwork or else

you
> decrease the effectiveness of the fan and cause grease buildup. The
> rangetop will be a DCS 36" pro style with 4 17.5k btu burners and a grill

in
> the middle.
>
> My builder said to maybe use a downdraft vent but all I read about them
> seems to indicate that they aren't really good for this kind of

application
> (or any other...).
>
> Any one have any advice for this?
> Thanks for your time.
> skeeter

You are right to avoid a downdraft - they work poorly at best. A good
overhead hood is the only way to go! We had a similar problem in our
previous house and ended up running a 6 foot 10 inch duct, with one right
angle, to an external wall. The blower was mounted externally, not in the
hood. In 6 years of use we never experienced any grease discoloration on the
outside (which was cedar).

--
Peter Aitken

Vox Humana

"Skeeter" > wrote in message
> Am building and need alittle advice on the range hood. The range top is
> being installed against a wall. On the other side of the wall is the
> garage. On the 2d floor above the range is a hallway. The ductwork will

be
> 10". Here is the link to the basic layout of the floorplan:
> http://www.frankbetz.com/x_plan_info.html?pn=1238&vw=3
>
> If I run the dcuct through the garage and straight out the wall to the

left
> of the garage door my contractor says it will not look that great and

cause
> grease to drip and discolor the brick. Are there any solutions for this
> type
> of problem? I know you can't put too many turns in the ductwork or else

you
> decrease the effectiveness of the fan and cause grease buildup. The
> rangetop will be a DCS 36" pro style with 4 17.5k btu burners and a grill

in
> the middle.
>
> My builder said to maybe use a downdraft vent but all I read about them
> seems to indicate that they aren't really good for this kind of

application
> (or any other...).

Could you switch the location of the range and the refrigerator and maybe
move that pass-through to the left a bit?

Don Wiss

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Peter Aitken > wrote:

> ended up running a 6 foot 10 inch duct, with one right
>angle, to an external wall. The blower was mounted externally, not in the
>hood.

Just how big is the unit stuck on the external wall? Is it variable speed?
How often to you have to get to it for maintenance. My kitchen is on the
second floor. So if I did this it would be far from the ground.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
Peter Aitken

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Peter Aitken > wrote:
>
> > ended up running a 6 foot 10 inch duct, with one right
> >angle, to an external wall. The blower was mounted externally, not in

the
> >hood.

> Just how big is the unit stuck on the external wall? Is it variable speed?
> How often to you have to get to it for maintenance. My kitchen is on the
> second floor. So if I did this it would be far from the ground.
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

It was about 1x2 feet and stuck out from the wall maybe 8 inches. It was
variable speed but I am sure there are also units with 3 set speeds ( I
recommend variable speed if you can get it). There was no regular
maintenance required - it just sat there for 6 years without any attention.

--
Peter Aitken

..

Sorry - Yet another electric range question TheAlligator General Cooking 22 05-02-2005 08:55 PM
Kitchen range question. Ross Reid General Cooking 3 26-01-2005 08:09 PM
Range Hood ventilation + flat roof = big problems Warren Webber Cooking Equipment 4 18-04-2004 03:54 PM
Free range Egg Question Plug Vegan 48 28-12-2003 09:15 PM
Ventilation question cowboy Cooking Equipment 9 10-11-2003 02:57 PM