Mike

Default Downdraft Ventilation systems

I am designing a kitchen and looking to put in a 36" gas rangetop in
an island and use a downdraft ventilation system. I was wondering if
anyone has used or put in one of the newer downdraft systems and what
their results were. I have heard of bad reviews in the past regarding
downdraft systems; but haven't read or seen anything about the newer
downdraft systems.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
-Mike
Vox Humana

"Mike" > wrote in message
om...
> I am designing a kitchen and looking to put in a 36" gas rangetop in
> an island and use a downdraft ventilation system. I was wondering if
> anyone has used or put in one of the newer downdraft systems and what
> their results were. I have heard of bad reviews in the past regarding
> downdraft systems; but haven't read or seen anything about the newer
> downdraft systems.

Downdraft systems are never as good as overhead ventilation systems. I
would consider putting in a hood even if it meant relocating the cooktop.

Peter Aitken

"Mike" > wrote in message
om...
> I am designing a kitchen and looking to put in a 36" gas rangetop in
> an island and use a downdraft ventilation system. I was wondering if
> anyone has used or put in one of the newer downdraft systems and what
> their results were. I have heard of bad reviews in the past regarding
> downdraft systems; but haven't read or seen anything about the newer
> downdraft systems.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance,
> -Mike

Unless the laws of physics have been changed, a "new" downdraft system will
be just as ineffective as an old one. It's a waste of money IMO. You can get
overhead outside-venting hoods for an island, and otherwise could move the
cooktop to a wall. You must decide if the kitchen design will put cooking or
appearance first.

--
Peter Aitken

Mike

I guess the question I need to ask is; What makes downdraft systems so
useless? Do they do somethings well and others no so good? What are
the pros and cons to overhead vs downdraft system. As you can tell I'm
not the most knowledgeble person in this area.

Thanks,
-Mike

Vox Humana

"Mike" > wrote in message
om...
> I guess the question I need to ask is; What makes downdraft systems so
> useless? Do they do somethings well and others no so good? What are
> the pros and cons to overhead vs downdraft system. As you can tell I'm
> not the most knowledgeble person in this area.

The basic problem is that steam and smoke rise. Downdraft systems are low
and are in the center or back of the cooking surface. At best, they only
capture some of the smoke and grease. The telescoping version is probably
the best design. Downdrafts tend to suck the heat from burner when they are
in the cooktop as is the case with models like JennAir. Still, if you have
a tall pot on the font burner and the downdraft is several inches below the
top of the pan at the back of the cooktop, you aren't going to capture much.
Ideally an overhead hood is somewhat larger than the cooktop so it captures
the smoke as it rises and disperses.

I have a JennAir gas range. I had to install overhead ventilation because
the downdraft didn't do an adequate job. Until the overhead ventilation was
installed, the smoke alarm went off every time I used the grill. The range
is install against an outside wall so there was no issue with the length or
design of the ductwork. Downdraft is the choice of last resort. Cooking
needs to be functional. When you don't have good ventilation, not only will
your home be smoky, but that smoke will coat all your surfaces and fabrics
with a film of grease.

I would put the cooktop against a wall where you can install conventional
ventilation or get a good looking hood to go over the island. Of course if
you are just configuring a display kitchen where you won't do much cooking,
it won't really matter.

Tyler Hopper

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> The basic problem is that steam and smoke rise. Downdraft systems are low
> and are in the center or back of the cooking surface. At best, they only
> capture some of the smoke and grease. The telescoping version is probably
> the best design. Downdrafts tend to suck the heat from burner when they are
> in the cooktop as is the case with models like JennAir. Still, if you have
> a tall pot on the font burner and the downdraft is several inches below the
> top of the pan at the back of the cooktop, you aren't going to capture much.
> Ideally an overhead hood is somewhat larger than the cooktop so it captures
> the smoke as it rises and disperses.
>
> I have a JennAir gas range. I had to install overhead ventilation because
> the downdraft didn't do an adequate job. Until the overhead ventilation was
> installed, the smoke alarm went off every time I used the grill. The range
> is install against an outside wall so there was no issue with the length or
> design of the ductwork. Downdraft is the choice of last resort. Cooking
> needs to be functional. When you don't have good ventilation, not only will
> your home be smoky, but that smoke will coat all your surfaces and fabrics
> with a film of grease.
>
> I would put the cooktop against a wall where you can install conventional
> ventilation or get a good looking hood to go over the island. Of course if
> you are just configuring a display kitchen where you won't do much cooking,
> it won't really matter.

Exactly my experience. I have an electric cook top where the vent runs down the
center. I won't try to explain the problems b/c they are exactly as you said.

My BIL just built a new house with a gas cook top and the pop up in the back.
It's worthless for the front burners but does an excellent job of sucking the
flame sideways on the back burners.

One thing I think hasn't been mentioned; they stink. All that smoke and grease
gets sucked down through a 4 - 6 " pipe running under the house to the outside.
Eventually it will build up and begin to stink. The only way to keep the smell
out of the kitchen is to run the vent constantly.

Tyler