Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salmon on a board

I cooked some salmon this evening, and tried a couple of new things.

First, I soaked the board for hours. Then, I sprinkled spices on the board
before putting the meat on, and then put on more spices. I squirted it with
a bit of lemon juice as it cooked. I checked it with my new $.25 yard sale
meat thermometer, and it came out to medium, or in the 140 deg. F area.

I have some Williams Sonoma cast iron oval skillets I was thinking of using
next time. Cutting the board to fit into the oval of the cast iron, then
serving it on the wood liner that came with the skillets.

Has anyone tried soaking the boards in anything but water? I was thinking
of lemon or lime juice, balsamic vinegar, some marinades, whatever.

Ideas, anyone?

BTW, the salmon was great.

Steve

--
Keep an eye on them or lose them:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"SteveB" <toquervilla@zionvistas> wrote:

> I have some Williams Sonoma cast iron oval skillets I was thinking of using
> next time. Cutting the board to fit into the oval of the cast iron, then
> serving it on the wood liner that came with the skillets.
>
> Has anyone tried soaking the boards in anything but water? I was thinking
> of lemon or lime juice, balsamic vinegar, some marinades, whatever.
>
> Ideas, anyone?
>
> BTW, the salmon was great.
>
> Steve

That's a fascinating idea... ;-)

So is cutting your sigs a bit babe.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

SteveB wrote:
> I cooked some salmon this evening, and tried a couple of new things.
>
> First, I soaked the board for hours. Then, I sprinkled spices on the board
> before putting the meat on, and then put on more spices. I squirted it with
> a bit of lemon juice as it cooked. I checked it with my new $.25 yard sale
> meat thermometer, and it came out to medium, or in the 140 deg. F area.
>
> I have some Williams Sonoma cast iron oval skillets I was thinking of using
> next time. Cutting the board to fit into the oval of the cast iron, then
> serving it on the wood liner that came with the skillets.
>
> Has anyone tried soaking the boards in anything but water? I was thinking
> of lemon or lime juice, balsamic vinegar, some marinades, whatever.
>
> Ideas, anyone?
>
> BTW, the salmon was great.

I soak the boards in water, too. What I like to do is put a bunch of
grilling onions on the plank before putting the salmon on. Grilling
onions are sort of like scallions but they are bigger with round bulbs.

I also do the planked salmon on the gas grill offset from the heat with
some hickory chunks in tin foil over the flame.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation