Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spices for "turkey gravy"?

This isn't what you'd serve at Thanksgiving - it probably should have
a different name.

As I dimly remember, the recipe is:

1 lb. ground turkey
1.5 - 2.5 cups milk, depending on taste
1 lb. chopped onion
flour
salt and pepper

After cooking, you pour this over baking-powder biscuits.

Trouble is, I found it far too bland the first time, and could only
improve it with chicken bouillon powder!

Any suggestions as to which spices would go well with it?

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> This isn't what you'd serve at Thanksgiving - it probably should have
> a different name.
>
> As I dimly remember, the recipe is:
>
> 1 lb. ground turkey
> 1.5 - 2.5 cups milk, depending on taste
> 1 lb. chopped onion
> flour
> salt and pepper
>
> After cooking, you pour this over baking-powder biscuits.
>
> Trouble is, I found it far too bland the first time, and could only
> improve it with chicken bouillon powder!
>
> Any suggestions as to which spices would go well with it?

Don't use milk, use condensed stock instead. Make your own stock and boil
it down. Flavor the stock with a little allspice and sage, just a touch.
Cook it down with carrots and onions and necks, wings and giblets minus the
liver. Milk gravies are typically bland unless you use a highly seasoned
meat like sausage. Turkey just has little flavor of its own. You could try
some poultry seasoning - that might work.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in

> Use beef bouillon instead of salt, and lots of *fresh ground*
> black pepper. A little sage or allspice might be interesting
> (not both)
>
> Bob

I use chicken bouillion and LOTS of pepper. :-)