Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default recipe: Skyhooks' "sweet gravy" for beef and pork

I'd like to share a favorite recipe with RFC. My grandmother used to
make a wonderful gravy/sauce for her Chateaubriand. For the sauce, I
believe she used a recipe for "marchand de vin." When she prepared the
beef tenderloin for the oven, she'd slather it all over with a lot of
butter mixed with chopped Colonel Grey's Mango Chutney, then cooked it
in a preheated 450(F)-degree oven. After the Chateaubriand finished
cooking, she'd deglaze the roasting pan (with Madeira wine?) and include
that with the marchand de vin sauce. Well, that's what I remember, at
least.

I just loved (OK, really liked) that sauce. But, since I don't make
Chateaubriand (it's way too pricey for me), I adapted (created?) the
sauce recipe to my taste (and wallet). I use this "sweet gravy" for
beef and sometimes for pork. Here's how I make it, although my recipe
isn't exactly precise. Enjoy.

Sky

P.S. My DS always called this sauce "sweet gravy" when he was growing
up

Skyhooks' "Sweet Gravy" recipe:

1/3-bottle of Colonel Grey's Mango Chutney (give or take a little or
lot)
1 tbs butter (give or take a little) + more later (if desired)
1 can Campbell's Consomme soup (save can to measure Madeira)
2/3-can Madeira wine (give or take a little or a lot <g>)
corn starch slurry to thicken

In a non-stick sauce pan (medium size) on medium to high heat, melt
butter and add chutney. Cook until very, very well done. The chutney
should be caramelized until very dark like the darkest of roux. USE
CAUTION -- there may/will be a lot of smoke. The chutney will clump.
Keep stirring to rotate chutney to evenly caramelize until it seems
nearly burnt.

Turn heat down to medium low. Add can of consomme soup to pan contents
(it will sizzle) and the chutney will solidify. Stir contents until the
"candied" chutney dissolves. Add the Madeira wine. Simmer on medium
low for about 15 minutes (give or take); stir occassionaly.

Strain contents through a fine-mesh sieve to remove chutney solids and
fibers, then return sauce to pan. Thicken sauce with the corn starch
slurry. Add another pat or two of butter (if desired). Simmer for
about 5-10 more minutes, or longer.

Serve with beef, or pork (if desired).