Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boiling, poaching, simmering, and killing germs

Giusi wrote:

>"Christine Dabney"
>>
>> Boiled beef is a classic Viennese dish. Ask Michael Kuettner and
>> Victor....
>>
>> Laurie Colwin also wrote about it...boiled beef, that is....

>Bollito misto is an Italian dish people just line up for.

And then there are also the English boiled beef (called just that),
the French pot-au-feu and boeuf à la ficelle, and the Filipino bulalo
and nilaga.

--
Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor wrote on 17 Nov 2008 07:25:49 -0800:

> Giusi wrote:
>>
>> "Christine Dabney"
>>>
>>> Boiled beef is a classic Viennese dish. Ask Michael
>>> Kuettner and Victor....
>>>
>>> Laurie Colwin also wrote about it...boiled beef, that is....

>> Bollito misto is an Italian dish people just line up for.

> And then there are also the English boiled beef (called just
> that), the French pot-au-feu and boeuf à la ficelle, and the
> Filipino bulalo and nilaga.

i remember boiled beef from a British childhood. Only sauces made it
just palatable and I still feel the same about any other national
ruinations of beef including pot au feu and bollito misto.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:55:12 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> blake murphy > wrote:

>>> but isn't it the nasty turkey roll-type stuff?

>> Depends what you buy and where you buy it. Besides, it's better to work
>> yourself up, than work yourself down.

> Very true. Boars Head brand deli meat is actual roasted meat, not pieces
> parts. I've not seen it in chicken tho'. Just turkey.

(to dan also) but does it have, for lack of a better term, a 'grain' to it?
like a kind of fiber structure, unlike chopped and formed meats?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:54:48 GMT, James Silverton wrote:

> blake wrote on Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:24:07 GMT:
>

>>> When I want cold chicken from chicken breasts, I usually
>>> simmer them in chicken stock until the meat is white all the
>>> way thro. I've no real idea of time and do it by inspection
>>> without washing the packaged meat. Dehydrated chicken stock
>>> is pretty cheap. The cooked chicken can frozen before or
>>> after slicing.

>> does the texture suffer at all, james?

> Not in my opinion. Defrosted cooked chicken seems fine in salads,
> sandwiches and even Chinese food.

o.k., i'll give it a try. i guess i could ask for *one* bone-in breast at
the grocery, but i'm not sure how that would go over.

thanks.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

These days, for a man to wait around to find a woman who can cook...may
be an exercise in futility! LOTS of women CAN cook!

On the PLUS side is, a woman who cannot cook is JUST as busy lookking
for a man who CAN!

I fell in love with my (third) husband when he invited me to his place
for dinner...and cooked a perfect orange roughie filet with a Ceasar
salad and grilled asparagus.

I didnt even really learn to cook until I was 52! (I could make all the
standard sounthern stuff, but not REAL food) The fact that I had met a
man who could cook something OTHER than fred meat and boiled
veggies-with-fatback rreally knocked me out.

Now that I have learned to cook, I realize how simple the fish and
grilled asparagus was....but at the time, I was BLOWN AWAY.

Now, all you young bachelors, take this to heart! Think about it! You
WANT to get the lady into your apartment, right? What better way than
to invite her for a homecooked meal!

Throw a couple of seasoned steaks/chops/fish filets on your George
Foreman....then some aspatagus spears....a nice salad and she thinks YOU
are a GREAT cook. and she's ALREADY IN YOUR APARTMENT!
After dinner, you settle down on the sofa to watch a DVD...all the while
the aroma of say, a simple bread pudding with cinamon and nutmeg is
wafting from the kitchen....

Hey, dudes...if you cant score with all that going on....you must need
dance lessons.

NOTHING impresses a woman more than a man who can cook.

(well, at least the kind of women you'd want. if a woamn you've just
met asks you what kind of car you drive, move on. She's not the one .)

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I agree. I think this young man ehinks, "I cant cook, but I guess I
could BOIL some chicken."

He may not realise that cooking a great and tasty meal can be done at
even the beginner's level.

I ran out of cat food and took a couple of frozen cchicken tenders from
the freezer and boiled them for my cats.

After they cooled, I cut them into tiny bites and served them to my
cats----who sniffed them, looked at me with that, "Oh, you MUST be
kidding" look....and walked away. Evidently, they preferred to go catch
a mouse than eat plain boiled chicken, because a couple hourss later,
one of them came in with a freshy dead mouse in her moutn and droiopped
it at my feet. I think she was saying, "jeeze, Human...if Times are
THAT bad, here, have THIS! It's WAY better thn than boiled crap!".

Let this be a lesson to us!

Lass

Boiling, poaching, simmering, and killing germs

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Sun, Nov 16, 2008, 6:37pm From:
(Dave*Smith)
bonappettit wrote:
I am essentially a not too bright male who regards persons like Alton
Brown with profound suspicion. Unable to find a self-sacrificing woman
to cook for me, I have to do this dreary stuff myself. I read a book
with 487 chicken recipes, and I still don't know how to cook a chicken
breast in water for sandwiches. Persons with my degree of inaptitude
don't want to know from moist, savory, tasteful, sauces, and
thermometers — I just want to know enough to avoid E. coli and
salmonella.
Depending on which package has the least juice on the bottom, I buy
skinless, boneless, chicken breasts or chicken breasts that have skin on
and/or bone in. All I want to do is cook this stuff to eat with rice or
for sandwiches.
Do I have to rinse the raw chicken first? How much water do I put in the
pot with it? Do I put salt in the water? Do I bring the water to a boil?
If so, I imagine I reduce it to a simmer, right? How long do I simmer?
How do I save the leftovers? How long can I keep them before they get
hairy?
After I get this down pat, I'll go for the Alton Brown treatment.

I have to admit that Alton is a little anal in his approach, and I am
not convinced that his methods may be impractical for most people. It
takes a lot of the fun out of cooking. However, there is more to cooking
a good meal than just cooking the shit out of every thing to kill germs.
Taste and texture are still important to most of us.
When cooking meat in liquid it should not be boiled. A stew boiled is a
stew spoiled. Boiling makes meat tough. It should be simmered.
Yes. Chicken should be rinsed off. There are a number of bacteria that
thrive on the surface of meats, and some of them can be rinsed off, or
at least enough bacteria can be rinsed odd to reduce the chances of
catching something nasty.
Leftovers should be eaten within a few days. If you are not going to use
them up quickly they should be frozen as as soon as possible after
cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:55:12 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Dan Abel > wrote:

> >> Depends what you buy and where you buy it. Besides, it's better to work
> >> yourself up, than work yourself down.

> > Very true. Boars Head brand deli meat is actual roasted meat, not pieces
> > parts. I've not seen it in chicken tho'. Just turkey.

> (to dan also) but does it have, for lack of a better term, a 'grain' to it?
> like a kind of fiber structure, unlike chopped and formed meats?
>
> your pal,
> blake

For the most part, yes.
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-11-17, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> No, you dufus, I bring it *to* the boiling point and remove it from the
> heat source. Not the same thing.

Boiling by any other name.......

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2008-11-17, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > No, you dufus, I bring it *to* the boiling point and remove it from the
> > heat source. Not the same thing.

> Boiling by any other name.......

is poaching, of course.

Of course, there's always the dufus who boils the @$Q@# out of meat and
turns it into shoe leather.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

James Silverton wrote:

> i remember boiled beef from a British childhood. Only sauces made it
> just palatable and I still feel the same about any other national
> ruinations of beef including pot au feu and bollito misto.

There was this couple that I was dear friends for with and the husband
was a Brit. The most finicky, fussy eater -- it was no fun dining out
with him. They used to come over quite often for dinner and typically I
would make something in a pot that always included large chunks of beef
or ham and potatoes, loaf of bread or rolls. His favorite was my Beef &
Vegetable Stew(p). (We called it stewp because it really was too thick
and hearty to be called a soup). He'd always ask if we were having
Boiled Meat and Vegetables again. The man was skinny as a twig and
always went back for seconds and thirds. The appreciative way he ate
just made my heart glow.

Then he had a dream one night that all the animals in the forest were
screaming at him, and he became a vegetarian. Overnight. At that point
it became really difficult to cook for him and they would bring
something for him to eat or we'd be invited over there.

Funny aside to the vegetarian cuisine: His wife would make lentil loaf
for him and she brought one to dinner at our place. Being polite, we
said how much we enjoyed it (though we actually DETESTED it) and from
that day on it was all she would serve us! Many, many years later I
fessed up about her loaf and we had a pretty good laugh. Well, she
wasn't with him anymore and her cooking had become much, much better, so
I thought it safe to mention.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Christine Dabney"
> notbob wrote:

>>> You *boil* meat! [shudder]
>>>
>>> Little did I suspect. (sniff)
>>>
>>> nb

>> Boiled beef is a classic Viennese dish. Ask Michael Kuettner and
>> Victor....
>>
>> Laurie Colwin also wrote about it...boiled beef, that is....
>>
>> Christine

Tafelspitz. Bubba, what is the title of that wonderful story about
Boiled Beef? I want to pull out the book and read it again. Did Simon
Loftus write it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:

> i remember boiled beef from a British childhood. Only sauces made it
> just palatable and I still feel the same about any other national
> ruinations of beef including pot au feu and bollito misto.

Well, no accounting for tastes...

It is interesting, though, that a lot of French chefs are often said to
name pot-au-feu as their favourite dish, to cook it for themselves and
for their friends. Bocuse is one.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Tafelspitz.

And a lot more!

> Bubba, what is the title of that wonderful story about
> Boiled Beef? I want to pull out the book and read it again. Did Simon
> Loftus write it?

Joseph Wechsberg. You can also read that story on-line (see below) -
but the real book is better, of course.

<http://www.josephwechsberg.com/pdfs/Gourmet/Couneilors_Boiled_Beef-Gourmet.pdf>

The file is not very well scanned/OCR'ed, but still eminently readable.

Bubba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>>>does the texture suffer at all, james?

>>Not in my opinion. Defrosted cooked chicken seems fine in salads,
>>sandwiches and even Chinese food.

> o.k., i'll give it a try. i guess i could ask for *one* bone-in breast at
> the grocery, but i'm not sure how that would go over.
>
> thanks.

Doesn't your store have a meat counter? That's what they're there for -
to sell you exactly what you want, no more, no less.

The two chains that I frequent have never batted an eye when asked to
pack up one or two pieces of chicken, or maybe 6 slices of bacon. It's
not like they're selling on commission.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor wrote on Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:59:45 +0100:

>> i remember boiled beef from a British childhood. Only sauces
>> made it just palatable and I still feel the same about any
>> other national ruinations of beef including pot au feu and
>> bollito misto.

> Well, no accounting for tastes...

> It is interesting, though, that a lot of French chefs are
> often said to name pot-au-feu as their favourite dish, to cook
> it for themselves and for their friends. Bocuse is one.

Strangely enough, I remember the disappointment when I first had pot au
feu many years ago at a Michelin starred restaurant in Paris whose
specialities I had enjoyed on previous visits.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:52:26 -0500, (Lass
Chance_2) wrote:

>Now, all you young bachelors, take this to heart! Think about it! You
>WANT to get the lady into your apartment, right? What better way than
>to invite her for a homecooked meal!
>
>Throw a couple of seasoned steaks/chops/fish filets on your George
>Foreman....then some aspatagus spears....a nice salad and she thinks YOU
>are a GREAT cook. and she's ALREADY IN YOUR APARTMENT!
>After dinner, you settle down on the sofa to watch a DVD...all the while
>the aroma of say, a simple bread pudding with cinamon and nutmeg is
>wafting from the kitchen....
>
>Hey, dudes...if you cant score with all that going on....you must need
>dance lessons.

Good advice, Lassie!

I think that's why women were always throwing themselves at my son.
OK, he was good looking and had a good sense of humor.... BUT he could
COOK (*and* he could dance). LOL! No lie, he wooed them with his
cooking. He's still the main cook and doesn't mind at all.

Of course, none of the above explains why he had a gaggle of girls
following him around (literally shadowing him) in preschool. He
*hated* it back in those days. Boys tend to grow up and change their
minds about that little dilemma and I have evidence. <laugh>

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:46:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>> NOTHING impresses a woman more than a man who can cook.

>Speak for yourself. I want one who does floors.

Some men are slow learners, others catch on quickly. Mine couldn't do
anything except cook a basic bacon and egg breakfast and charm women
(of course) when we married. Now he cooks (plain, but tasty), does
the laundry - and folds it, makes - and changes beds, does floors AND
bathrooms (including the toilet and shower). All his expertise was
acquired in the last 15 years. Now, if I can only get him to
recognize dust when he sees it.... He's not perfect, but he's getting
there.

He bought me long stemmed roses twice in the last month. How sweet is
that?

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:46:01 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >> NOTHING impresses a woman more than a man who can cook.

> >Speak for yourself. I want one who does floors.

> Some men are slow learners, others catch on quickly. Mine couldn't do
> anything except cook a basic bacon and egg breakfast and charm women
> (of course) when we married. Now he cooks (plain, but tasty), does
> the laundry - and folds it, makes - and changes beds, does floors AND
> bathrooms (including the toilet and shower). All his expertise was
> acquired in the last 15 years. Now, if I can only get him to
> recognize dust when he sees it.... He's not perfect, but he's getting
> there.
>
> He bought me long stemmed roses twice in the last month. How sweet is
> that?

A romantic. :-) You are a lucky woman!
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Victor wrote
>>> i remember boiled beef from a British childhood. Only sauces
>>> made it just palatable and I still feel the same about any
>>> other national ruinations of beef including pot au feu and
>>> bollito misto.

>> Well, no accounting for tastes...

>> It is interesting, though, that a lot of French chefs are
>> often said to name pot-au-feu as their favourite dish, to cook
>> it for themselves and for their friends. Bocuse is one.

> Strangely enough, I remember the disappointment when I first had pot au
> feu many years ago at a Michelin starred restaurant in Paris whose
> specialities I had enjoyed on previous visits.
> James Silverton

I think Pot au Feu is a dish not for restaurants but for homes. I never
order it out and every time a dining companion has done so they are
disappointed. The lengthy cooking of the many meats is not practical in
restaurants as it is at home. It is one of the most appreciated dishes I
serve at home, because I approach the whole thing just like my
French-American grandmother did. It takes almost a week in a small kitchen
like mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:37:06 -0600, Kathleen wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>>Not in my opinion. Defrosted cooked chicken seems fine in salads,
>>>sandwiches and even Chinese food.

>> o.k., i'll give it a try. i guess i could ask for *one* bone-in breast at
>> the grocery, but i'm not sure how that would go over.
>>
>> thanks.

> Doesn't your store have a meat counter? That's what they're there for -
> to sell you exactly what you want, no more, no less.
>
> The two chains that I frequent have never batted an eye when asked to
> pack up one or two pieces of chicken, or maybe 6 slices of bacon. It's
> not like they're selling on commission.

it's just an uncharacteristic reticence on my part. yes, my usual market
has 'meat men' behind the counter. i'm not sure they are actual butchers.

what actually on display are most often 'family packs,' three pounds or
more.

i will ask.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:35:07 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:55:12 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> In article

>>> Very true. Boars Head brand deli meat is actual roasted meat, not pieces
>>> parts. I've not seen it in chicken tho'. Just turkey.

>> (to dan also) but does it have, for lack of a better term, a 'grain' to it?
>> like a kind of fiber structure, unlike chopped and formed meats?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> For the most part, yes.

i guess i'll have to ask for a taste. i must say the other boar's head
products don't impress me that much.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:40:39 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2008-11-17, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> No, you dufus, I bring it *to* the boiling point and remove it from the
>> heat source. Not the same thing.

> Boiling by any other name.......
>
> nb

nope. it's like 'hard-boiling' an egg - bring to a boil, take off the
heat.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:35:07 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > blake murphy > wrote:

> >> (to dan also) but does it have, for lack of a better term, a 'grain' to it?
> >> like a kind of fiber structure, unlike chopped and formed meats?
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> > For the most part, yes.

> i guess i'll have to ask for a taste. i must say the other boar's head
> products don't impress me that much.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Their hotdogs are the BEST, but that's just imho. ;-d
They are also expensive.

I bought some sheep casings from Cabela's with the intent to try to make
my own. I've not done so yet.
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 17, 11:09 pm, sf > wrote:
All his expertise was
> acquired in the last 15 years. Now, if I can only get him to
> recognize dust when he sees it.... He's not perfect, but he's getting
> there.

Gee, you don't want much. He sounds like every wife's dream.

> He bought me long stemmed roses twice in the last month. How sweet is
> that?

Uh-oh, after 15 years? Roses? TWICE? I'd be suspicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:40:39 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2008-11-17, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >
> >> No, you dufus, I bring it *to* the boiling point and remove it from the
> >> heat source. Not the same thing.

> > Boiling by any other name.......
> >
> > nb

> nope. it's like 'hard-boiling' an egg - bring to a boil, take off the
> heat.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yeah! What you said!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-11-18, blake murphy > wrote:

> nope. it's like 'hard-boiling' an egg - bring to a boil, take off the
> heat.

You make my point. "take off heat" or jes continue to boil. Do they both
accomplish the same thing, a hard boiled egg? Yes, they do.

So, why is boiling meat and letting meat sit in just boiled, now cooling,
water different. Flavor in meat is water soluble. Boil it, simmer it, soak
it, put it in a cold shower, toss it in the river and let it drift
downstream for two weeks!... bottom line, you will diminish the original
flavor juices of the meat. I don't understand why this is so hard to
comprehend.

nb y
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob"
blake murphy wrote:

>> nope. it's like 'hard-boiling' an egg - bring to a boil, take off the
>> heat.

> You make my point. "take off heat" or jes continue to boil. Do they both
> accomplish the same thing, a hard boiled egg? Yes, they do.
>
> So, why is boiling meat and letting meat sit in just boiled, now cooling,
> water different. Flavor in meat is water soluble. Boil it, simmer it,
> soak
> it, put it in a cold shower, toss it in the river and let it drift
> downstream for two weeks!... bottom line, you will diminish the original
> flavor juices of the meat. I don't understand why this is so hard to
> comprehend.
>
> nb y

And you fail to take into consideration the two way flow of flavors in which
the meat absorbs seasonings as well as contributing them. Making broth you
might use 2 pounds of meat and many liters of water with some vegetables and
herbs. Making boiled meats you would use many pounds of different meats and
vegetables, etc. and maybe a couple of liters of water which would get
reduced. If you can't see the difference in that, go back to school.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:45:52 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2008-11-18, blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> nope. it's like 'hard-boiling' an egg - bring to a boil, take off the
>> heat.

> You make my point. "take off heat" or jes continue to boil. Do they both
> accomplish the same thing, a hard boiled egg? Yes, they do.
>
> So, why is boiling meat and letting meat sit in just boiled, now cooling,
> water different. Flavor in meat is water soluble. Boil it, simmer it, soak
> it, put it in a cold shower, toss it in the river and let it drift
> downstream for two weeks!... bottom line, you will diminish the original
> flavor juices of the meat. I don't understand why this is so hard to
> comprehend.
>
> nb y

one has the water at 212 degrees and then progressively lower temperatures
for a certain amount of time, the other has the water at 212 degrees the
*whole time*. i don't understand why is so hard to comprehend, either.

(yeah, 100 degrees for you decadent europeans other snooty pipples.)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:45:52 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2008-11-18, blake murphy > wrote:
>>
>>> nope. it's like 'hard-boiling' an egg - bring to a boil, take off
>>> the heat.

>> You make my point. "take off heat" or jes continue to boil. Do
>> they both accomplish the same thing, a hard boiled egg? Yes, they
>> do.
>>
>> So, why is boiling meat and letting meat sit in just boiled, now
>> cooling, water different. Flavor in meat is water soluble. Boil
>> it, simmer it, soak it, put it in a cold shower, toss it in the
>> river and let it drift downstream for two weeks!... bottom line, you
>> will diminish the original flavor juices of the meat. I don't
>> understand why this is so hard to comprehend.
>>
>> nb y

> one has the water at 212 degrees and then progressively lower
> temperatures for a certain amount of time, the other has the water at
> 212 degrees the *whole time*. i don't understand why is so hard to
> comprehend, either.
>
> (yeah, 100 degrees for you decadent europeans other snooty pipples.)

Oi! Who are you calling decadent and snooty??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:22:24 GMT:

>> On 2008-11-18, blake murphy > wrote:
>>
>>> nope. it's like 'hard-boiling' an egg - bring to a boil,
>>> take off the heat.

>> You make my point. "take off heat" or jes continue to boil.
>> Do they both accomplish the same thing, a hard boiled egg?
>> Yes, they do.
>>
>> So, why is boiling meat and letting meat sit in just boiled,
>> now cooling, water different. Flavor in meat is water
>> soluble. Boil it, simmer it, soak it, put it in a cold
>> shower, toss it in the river and let it drift downstream for
>> two weeks!... bottom line, you will diminish the
>> original flavor juices of the meat. I don't understand why
>> this is so hard to comprehend.
>>
>> nb y

> one has the water at 212 degrees and then progressively lower
> temperatures for a certain amount of time, the other has the
> water at 212 degrees the *whole time*. i don't understand why
> is so hard to comprehend, either.

> (yeah, 100 degrees for you decadent europeans other snooty
> pipples.)

You can simmer ground beef in water if you want to extract the grease.
Separate the grease layer and, if flavor is water soluble, just add the
broth back to the meat and cook down if necessary.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2008-11-18, blake murphy > wrote:
>
> > nope. it's like 'hard-boiling' an egg - bring to a boil, take off the
> > heat.

> You make my point. "take off heat" or jes continue to boil. Do they both
> accomplish the same thing, a hard boiled egg? Yes, they do.
>
> So, why is boiling meat and letting meat sit in just boiled, now cooling,
> water different. Flavor in meat is water soluble. Boil it, simmer it, soak
> it, put it in a cold shower, toss it in the river and let it drift
> downstream for two weeks!... bottom line, you will diminish the original
> flavor juices of the meat. I don't understand why this is so hard to
> comprehend.

Yeah, that's why pot roast is so flavorless. Might as well eat tofu,
for all the flavor and texture.

ObPotRoast: Never been a fan of pot roast, but boy is that some fine
gravy!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:24:53 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:45:52 GMT, notbob wrote:
>>

>> one has the water at 212 degrees and then progressively lower
>> temperatures for a certain amount of time, the other has the water at
>> 212 degrees the *whole time*. i don't understand why is so hard to
>> comprehend, either.
>>
>> (yeah, 100 degrees for you decadent europeans other snooty pipples.)

> Oi! Who are you calling decadent and snooty??

o.k., except for scotland and maybe ireland.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:15:11 GMT, James Silverton wrote:

> blake wrote on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:22:24 GMT:

>>> You make my point. "take off heat" or jes continue to boil.
>>> Do they both accomplish the same thing, a hard boiled egg?
>>> Yes, they do.
>>>
>>> So, why is boiling meat and letting meat sit in just boiled,
>>> now cooling, water different. Flavor in meat is water
>>> soluble. Boil it, simmer it, soak it, put it in a cold
>>> shower, toss it in the river and let it drift downstream for
>>> two weeks!... bottom line, you will diminish the
>>> original flavor juices of the meat. I don't understand why
>>> this is so hard to comprehend.
>>>
>>> nb y

>> one has the water at 212 degrees and then progressively lower
>> temperatures for a certain amount of time, the other has the
>> water at 212 degrees the *whole time*. i don't understand why
>> is so hard to comprehend, either.

>> (yeah, 100 degrees for you decadent europeans other snooty
>> pipples.)

> You can simmer ground beef in water if you want to extract the grease.
> Separate the grease layer and, if flavor is water soluble, just add the
> broth back to the meat and cook down if necessary.

frankly, i've never seen the point to this, unless you're on an *extremely*
low-fat regimen. if there's too much meat after pan-frying, just spoon
some off.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:24:53 -0000, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:45:52 GMT, notbob wrote:
>>>

>>> one has the water at 212 degrees and then progressively lower
>>> temperatures for a certain amount of time, the other has the water
>>> at 212 degrees the *whole time*. i don't understand why is so hard
>>> to comprehend, either.
>>>
>>> (yeah, 100 degrees for you decadent europeans other snooty pipples.)

>> Oi! Who are you calling decadent and snooty??

> o.k., except for scotland and maybe ireland.

But, but, but I am in North Yorkshire atm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy"

Ophelia wrote:
>> Oi! Who are you calling decadent and snooty??

> o.k., except for scotland and maybe ireland.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Oi! Who are you calling effete and snooty?
Last I heard, O was in Yorkshire anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "blake murphy"
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008

> Ophelia wrote:
>>> Oi! Who are you calling decadent and snooty??

>> o.k., except for scotland and maybe ireland.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Oi! Who are you calling effete and snooty?
> Last I heard, O was in Yorkshire anyway.

yers)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:16:22 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Oi! Who are you calling decadent and snooty??

>> o.k., except for scotland and maybe ireland.

> But, but, but I am in North Yorkshire atm

close enough if the other english look down on you. but aren't you a
transplant?

your pal,
blake