Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected][_1_] alsandorz@gmail.com[_1_] is offline

Default Unappetizing food language in North American English

I find North American English, with its propensity for inverting
syntactically sound expressions and creating verbs out of sows' ears
(to Christmas shop, to grocery shop, etc.), has produced some rather
unappetizing terms for food usually as some sort of abbreviation. A
few came up recently and I thought I'd start a thread on this, as a
form of recreation (because this is after all a rec.* newsgroup).

NOTE: I specifically said North American as this aberration can also
be found in parts of Canada.

So here are a few:

"from scratch", or worse "scratch" (as in "scratch cake"...oy, the
mental image of cake made from flaky dead skin or dandruff)

"tub" as in "tub of margarine" or yogurt, or worse "tub butter". What
the hell is "tub butter" and who would want any? The word "tub"
conjures up the idea of a large receptacle in which people bathe and
lose their dead skin, floating in soapy water...again with the dead
skin image.

"tablespread" or the use of "spread" to mean a soft substance...I'm
not even going there.