Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default hey you food lovers, do you know about this salad or had some?

See the picture at http://eatlikeus.wordpress.com/2007/...-leaves-salad/

For more info, google using "pickled tea leave"

From wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahpet

And then http://melodymaung.myanmarbloggers.o...eaf-salad.html

Now, my reason of posting here. Does anyone know other culture, Asian
supposedly, that uses pickled tea leave the way Burmese do as salad or
as a dish, i.e.not as a drink?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:29:14 -0700 (PDT), amandaF
> wrote:

>Now, my reason of posting here. Does anyone know other culture, Asian
>supposedly, that uses pickled tea leave the way Burmese do as salad or
>as a dish, i.e.not as a drink?

Wracking brain.... I've eaten that before and I don't think it was
Burmese. A neighboring country perhaps?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 24, 9:29 pm, amandaF > wrote:
> See the picture athttp://eatlikeus.wordpress.com/2007/12/07/inle-myanmar-restaurant/pic...
>
> For more info, google using "pickled tea leave"
>
> From wiki,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahpet
>
> And thenhttp://melodymaung.myanmarbloggers.org/2007/06/lahpet-thohk-or-pickle...
>
> Now, my reason of posting here. Does anyone know other culture, Asian
> supposedly, that uses pickled tea leave the way Burmese do as salad or
> as a dish, i.e.not as a drink?

OK. cool. But now to find the local Miyanmar market for the picked
tea.

Before I make something unusual I like to eat it at a restaurant or
friend's house or at least a canned or TV dinner version, so I have a
clue what I'm aiming for.

On the other hand, "pickled leafs" is a pretty simple two-word
recipie. I've brined grape leafs. Suppose I ought to try to find
good tea first, not just rip open the "ValueTime" bags from the
pantry.

bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 11:59 am, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:29:14 -0700 (PDT), amandaF
>
> > wrote:
> >Now, my reason of posting here. Does anyone know other culture, Asian
> >supposedly, that uses pickled tea leave the way Burmese do as salad or
> >as a dish, i.e.not as a drink?

> Wracking brain.... I've eaten that before and I don't think it was
> Burmese. A neighboring country perhaps?

May be it was available in Thailand?

> --
> I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
> interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.
>
> Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 25, 3:25 pm, bulka > wrote:
> On Oct 24, 9:29 pm, amandaF > wrote:
>
> > See the picture athttp://eatlikeus.wordpress.com/2007/12/07/inle-myanmar-restaurant/pic...

> > For more info, google using "pickled tea leave"

> > From wiki,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahpet

> > And thenhttp://melodymaung.myanmarbloggers.org/2007/06/lahpet-thohk-or-pickle...

> > Now, my reason of posting here. Does anyone know other culture, Asian
> > supposedly, that uses pickled tea leave the way Burmese do as salad or
> > as a dish, i.e.not as a drink?

> OK. cool. But now to find the local Miyanmar market for the picked
> tea.

First, there are some Burmese food shops in southern CA and as well as
in SF bay Area that sells it. Burmese restaurants also serve it but
slightly altered. Instead of using cabbage, the restaurant would use
lettuce and also less of other ingredients.

And here are some warning form my experience: When I was growing up
in Burma - I am not native btw - oil , though expensive was not as
expensive as now. My mother would pay top price to get pure peanut oil
but not everyone could afford to do that. Now, what I learned from my
brother is that the majority of the people rely on imported oil from
Malaysia and it's the lowest quality.

When I was young, I never was too crazy about dishes that have meet -
obviously, it was my hypoglycemia aside from just needing more protein
for being young - and my family didn't use that as often as the
majority of people would. And In all my years in US, I had eaten once
at a restaurant visiting San Francisco and once at someone's house and
even that was quite a while back. This is sold just so that all you
mix in is cabbage, tomatoes, lime juice. Most people don't bother
buying the pickled tea leaves the way my mother did: buy just the
pickled tea leaves and then soak it in oil herself and then get other
ingredients separately to make the salad - she does that because she
is concerned about where it' packaged, etc. - but it never tasted the
same as the one bought. (Just a couple of years ago, I realized what
my mother doing it wrong; she didn't squeeze out the bitterness from
that tea leaves the right way). When I visited Burma in 2001, I was
given some packages and when I ate it after getting back to US, my
throat had reaction to it leading to throat infection. I think I was
allergic to something in that cheap oil imported from Malaysia. After
moving to CA, I had more exposure to it and came to like it a lot
because the ingredient of peanut, lima bean, yellow split pea (all
roasted w/ a bit of oil) is good protein source but when I got some
sent to me from Burma (by family friends), I had issue in my throat
again. So my problem of allergic reaction had not gone away. I
learned from someone just a few months ago that there are two types
for these packages. One is roasting the nuts, friend garlic ed w/ oil
two times and the other just one time. So my thinking is that the
last one I got as a gift was the first kind and hence more stuff (in
oil) to be allergic to.

I would like to get a hold of the same thing my mother bought, just
the pickled tea leaves with no oil in it and learn to fry those other
ingredients myself but it is not possible to get the pickled tea
leaves unless I asked someone in Burma to send me with someone coming
to US.That's just too much work. BTW, similar salad is also used
substituting ginger (soaked in vinegar) instead of tea leaves. So,
one o these days, I want to learn how to roast/fry those lima beans,
yellow split peas, and peanuts but the other option is to find similar
thing in Indian shops and create something similar using ginger. My
goal is to have a quick sometting to eat and still get protein.

> Before I make something unusual I like to eat it at a restaurant or
> friend's house or at least a canned or TV dinner version, so I have a
> clue what I'm aiming for.
>
> On the other hand, "pickled leafs" is a pretty simple two-word
> recipie. I've brined grape leafs. Suppose I ought to try to find
> good tea first, not just rip open the "ValueTime" bags from the
> pantry.

I think that the uniqueness of this salad is that the tea leaves are
young and also the processing time of risning with water, etc. seems
quite time-sonsuming according to the explanation in the link.