Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT - Group access FYI

For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider, Comcast is
dropping Usenet access. I didn't believe it either, but the forums on
comcast.net confirm it. Now they aren't worth the high price we pay for
Internet broadband. I never got any warning email from them, and had to
read about it in another group.

This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for those of you who post here via
you Comcast membership.

--
\Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote

> For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider, Comcast is
> dropping Usenet access. I didn't believe it either, but the forums on
> comcast.net confirm it. Now they aren't worth the high price we pay for
> Internet broadband. I never got any warning email from them, and had to
> read about it in another group.
>
> This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for those of you who post here
> via you Comcast membership.

Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:36:07 -0400, "Cheryl"
> wrote:

>For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider, Comcast is
>dropping Usenet access. I didn't believe it either, but the forums on
>comcast.net confirm it. Now they aren't worth the high price we pay for
>Internet broadband. I never got any warning email from them, and had to
>read about it in another group.
>
>This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for those of you who post here via
>you Comcast membership.

I thought pushing us into giganews *was* their way of dropping usenet!
When is it supposed to be official?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:58:48 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.
>
>nancy

Or just change usenet providers. Many of us here use the German
server.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote
>
>> For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider, Comcast is
>> dropping Usenet access. I didn't believe it either, but the forums on
>> comcast.net confirm it. Now they aren't worth the high price we pay for
>> Internet broadband. I never got any warning email from them, and had to
>> read about it in another group.
>>
>> This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for those of you who post here
>> via you Comcast membership.

> Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
> ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.

<sigh> Here we go again.

Why? Just use a different news feed.

See my sig.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider, Comcast is
> dropping Usenet access. I didn't believe it either, but the forums on
> comcast.net confirm it. Now they aren't worth the high price we pay for
> Internet broadband. I never got any warning email from them, and had to
> read about it in another group.
>
> This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for those of you who post here via
> you Comcast membership.

Same old same old. As always, just use another news feed. See my sig.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>

>> "Cheryl" > wrote
>>
>>> For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider, Comcast is
>>> dropping Usenet access. I didn't believe it either, but the forums on
>>> comcast.net confirm it. Now they aren't worth the high price we pay for
>>> Internet broadband. I never got any warning email from them, and had to
>>> read about it in another group.
>>>
>>> This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for those of you who post here
>>> via you Comcast membership.

>> Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>> ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.

> <sigh> Here we go again.
>
> Why? Just use a different news feed.

<sigh> Because I don't think they're worth the money without
the newsgroup access and was thinking of switch cable
providers altogether and that is one thing that was holding
me back.

> See my sig.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was planning to do. I do
appreciate that you offer that information.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:58:48 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>

>>Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>>ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.

> Or just change usenet providers. Many of us here use the German
> server.

Thank you.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:58:48 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>

>> Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>> ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.
>>
>> nancy

> Or just change usenet providers. Many of us here use the German
> server.
>
> Christine

Yeah, but $43/month for Comcast Internet is not worth the price for a few
Google searches and email. I'm checking into DSL + NIN, which is what I use
in TN. Even with the annual NIN fee (10 Euros) it's cheaper than Comcast
Internet. YMMV.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>

>>> "Cheryl" > wrote

>>> Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>>> ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.

>> <sigh> Here we go again.
>>
>> Why? Just use a different news feed.

> <sigh> Because I don't think they're worth the money without
> the newsgroup access and was thinking of switch cable
> providers altogether and that is one thing that was holding
> me back.

Exactly right. Comcast Internet isn't exactly cheap (and I am!)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:36:07 -0400, "Cheryl"
> > wrote:
>
>> For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider,
>> Comcast is dropping Usenet access. I didn't believe it either, but
>> the forums on comcast.net confirm it. Now they aren't worth the
>> high price we pay for Internet broadband. I never got any warning
>> email from them, and had to read about it in another group.
>>
>> This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for those of you who post
>> here via you Comcast membership.

> I thought pushing us into giganews *was* their way of dropping usenet!
> When is it supposed to be official?

According to the Comcast web site, October 25th the newsgroups.comcast.net
server will cease to exist.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:36:07 -0400, "Cheryl"
> wrote:

>For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider, Comcast is
>dropping Usenet access. I didn't believe it either, but the forums on
>comcast.net confirm it. Now they aren't worth the high price we pay for
>Internet broadband. I never got any warning email from them, and had to
>read about it in another group.
>
>This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for those of you who post here via
>you Comcast membership.

Look into getting and using a seperate news server. That is what I did
years ago when my ISP took away the Usenet access. EasyNews is a
really good one and has rollover bytes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:32:27 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Blinky the Shark" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>

>>> "Cheryl" > wrote

>>> Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>>> ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.

>> <sigh> Here we go again.
>>
>> Why? Just use a different news feed.

><sigh> Because I don't think they're worth the money without
>the newsgroup access and was thinking of switch cable
>providers altogether and that is one thing that was holding
>me back.

Most ISPs are going to get rid of Usenet. You might be better off just
getting a seperate news server like EasyNews or something.

>> See my sig.

>Thank you, that's exactly what I was planning to do. I do
>appreciate that you offer that information.
>
>nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider, Comcast
> is dropping Usenet access. I didn't believe it either, but the
> forums on comcast.net confirm it. Now they aren't worth the high
> price we pay for Internet broadband. I never got any warning email
> from them, and had to read about it in another group.
>
> This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for those of you who post
> here via you Comcast membership.

I got this from my method of viewing Usenet which is News Guys. This might
be a way to go for some of you.

According to recent announcements, RCN has discontinued access to their
newsgroup service.

For RCN customers (rcn.com, erols.com, starpower.net) that still require
Usenet service, we're offering a free month of newsgroup access with the
purchase of any Basic, Extra, Express, or Unlimited NewsGuy account...

http://newsguy.com/freemonth.htm

I pay about $35 a year for way more bandwidth than I need since I only visit
Usenet once or twice a day.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ozark Baby" > wrote

> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:32:27 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>><sigh> Because I don't think they're worth the money without
>>the newsgroup access and was thinking of switch cable
>>providers altogether and that is one thing that was holding
>>me back.

> Most ISPs are going to get rid of Usenet. You might be better off just
> getting a seperate news server like EasyNews or something.

Definitely, I am sure whatever ISP I switched to will sooner or
later follow suit. One way or another, I'll need a news server,
I know that much. Just that Comcast having it was one thing that
kept me from switching to a whole different cable provider, not
just as my ISP.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Ozark Baby" > wrote
>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:32:27 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>>> <sigh> Because I don't think they're worth the money without
>>> the newsgroup access and was thinking of switch cable
>>> providers altogether and that is one thing that was holding
>>> me back.

>> Most ISPs are going to get rid of Usenet. You might be better off just
>> getting a seperate news server like EasyNews or something.

> Definitely, I am sure whatever ISP I switched to will sooner or
> later follow suit. One way or another, I'll need a news server,
> I know that much. Just that Comcast having it was one thing that
> kept me from switching to a whole different cable provider, not just as
> my ISP.
> nancy

My ISP dropped Usenet more than a year ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:35:04 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Ozark Baby" > wrote
>
>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:32:27 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>>><sigh> Because I don't think they're worth the money without
>>>the newsgroup access and was thinking of switch cable
>>>providers altogether and that is one thing that was holding
>>>me back.

>> Most ISPs are going to get rid of Usenet. You might be better off just
>> getting a seperate news server like EasyNews or something.

>Definitely, I am sure whatever ISP I switched to will sooner or
>later follow suit. One way or another, I'll need a news server,
>I know that much. Just that Comcast having it was one thing that
>kept me from switching to a whole different cable provider, not
>just as my ISP.
>
>nancy

Oh I see. Well, good luck with your search.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ozark Baby" > wrote

> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:35:04 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>Definitely, I am sure whatever ISP I switched to will sooner or
>>later follow suit. One way or another, I'll need a news server,
>>I know that much. Just that Comcast having it was one thing that
>>kept me from switching to a whole different cable provider, not
>>just as my ISP.

> Oh I see. Well, good luck with your search.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice, sorry if it sounded as if I didn't.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:58:48 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>

> > Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
> > ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.
> >
> > nancy

> Or just change usenet providers. Many of us here use the German
> server.

Another solution is get a block account. There you buy a block of
usenet bandwidth that doesn't expire at the end of the month, you use
it until it's gone. Fairly inexpensive, $.5 - $1 per gig depending on
provider and size of block. The advantage is that it, unlike NIN, will
allow access to binary groups like alt.binaries.food. As long as you're
not hitting the multimedia groups to download movies or something, a
few gig would last a long time.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>

>>> "Cheryl" > wrote

>>> Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>>> ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.

>> <sigh> Here we go again.
>>
>> Why? Just use a different news feed.

> <sigh> Because I don't think they're worth the money without
> the newsgroup access and was thinking of switch cable
> providers altogether and that is one thing that was holding
> me back.

Don't you just love a "know it all" who overestimates his own intelligence
and underestimates yours? There is no bigger dunce in the world.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote
>
>> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:58:48 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>>>ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.

>> Or just change usenet providers. Many of us here use the German
>> server.

> Thank you.

Which, less cryptically, is http://news.individual.net

I use it myself.

No binaries, though.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:58:48 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>>> ISP for me, we'll see. Appreciate the heads up.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Or just change usenet providers. Many of us here use the German
>> server.
>>
>> Christine

> Yeah, but $43/month for Comcast Internet is not worth the price for a few
> Google searches and email. I'm checking into DSL + NIN, which is what I use
> in TN. Even with the annual NIN fee (10 Euros) it's cheaper than Comcast

For those who might be shopping, that 10-euro (about $15US) is the
*annual* fee.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ozark Baby wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:36:07 -0400, "Cheryl"
> > wrote:
>
>>For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider, Comcast is
>>dropping Usenet access. I didn't believe it either, but the forums on
>>comcast.net confirm it. Now they aren't worth the high price we pay for
>>Internet broadband. I never got any warning email from them, and had to
>>read about it in another group.
>>
>>This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for those of you who post here via
>>you Comcast membership.

> Look into getting and using a seperate news server. That is what I did
> years ago when my ISP took away the Usenet access. EasyNews is a
> really good one and has rollover bytes.

There's a meter on it? My goodness.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:02:09 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Ozark Baby" > wrote
>
>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:35:04 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>>>Definitely, I am sure whatever ISP I switched to will sooner or
>>>later follow suit. One way or another, I'll need a news server,
>>>I know that much. Just that Comcast having it was one thing that
>>>kept me from switching to a whole different cable provider, not
>>>just as my ISP.

>> Oh I see. Well, good luck with your search.

>Thanks, I appreciate the advice, sorry if it sounded as if I didn't.
>
>nancy

That is ok. I understand your frustration. It is a hassle, but once
you do get a separate news server you will be happier in the end. At
least I was. ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:58:48 -0400, "Nancy Young"

>>> Or just change usenet providers. Many of us here use the German
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Christine

>> Yeah, but $43/month for Comcast Internet is not worth the price for
>> a few Google searches and email. I'm checking into DSL + NIN, which
>> is what I use in TN. Even with the annual NIN fee (10 Euros) it's
>> cheaper than Comcast

> For those who might be shopping, that 10-euro (about $15US) is the
> *annual* fee.

Isn't that what I just said?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Ozark Baby wrote:

> > Look into getting and using a seperate news server. That is what I
> > did years ago when my ISP took away the Usenet access. EasyNews is a
> > really good one and has rollover bytes.

> There's a meter on it? My goodness.

Most full news service do that. NIN can afford a flat rate because it's
text only. You could read news 24/7 and not make much of dent in
bandwidth. A service with binary access is a lot different. An
hour-long TV show pulled from a multimeda group would be around 300-400
meg.

It's one reason why the ISPs didn't put up much of a fight, a fight
they probably could have won. It's an excuse to get rid of services
that cost them money but really don't bring in a lot of customers.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Yeah, but $43/month for Comcast Internet is not worth the price for
>>> a few Google searches and email. I'm checking into DSL + NIN, which
>>> is what I use in TN. Even with the annual NIN fee (10 Euros) it's
>>> cheaper than Comcast

>> For those who might be shopping, that 10-euro (about $15US) is the
>> *annual* fee.

> Isn't that what I just said?

Jebus! I missed "annual" completely in your post.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote
>
> > For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider, Comcast is
> > dropping Usenet access. �I didn't believe it either, but the forums on
> > comcast.net confirm it. �Now they aren't worth the high price we pay for
> > Internet broadband. �I never got any warning email from them, and had to
> > read about it in another group.

> > This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for
> > those of you who post here via you Comcast
> > membership.

> Thank you very much, Cheryl. �
> It could well mean a change of
> ISP for me, we'll see.

Google is free.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> For those who might be shopping, that 10-euro (about $15US) is the
>>> *annual* fee.

>> Isn't that what I just said?

> Jebus! I missed "annual" completely in your post.

LOL I thought so. I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and AT&T doesn't offer
DSL on this friggin island. Neither does the local phone service except for
prices way higher than Comcast. Wireless? Heh. Just try.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> "Cheryl" > wrote
>>
>>> For those who use Comcast with Giganews as the news provider,
>>> Comcast is dropping Usenet access. �I didn't believe it either, but
>>> the forums on comcast.net confirm it. �Now they aren't worth the
>>> high price we pay for Internet broadband. �I never got any warning
>>> email from them, and had to read about it in another group.

>>> This isn't a bash of Comcast, just an FYI for
>>> those of you who post here via you Comcast
>>> membership.

>> Thank you very much, Cheryl. �
>> It could well mean a change of
>> ISP for me, we'll see.

> Google is free.

Nothing is free. But your point is taken. And discarded just as quickly

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote

>"Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>> ISP for me, we'll see.

>Google is free.

It might be free, but it's not for me.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>>> Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
>>> ISP for me, we'll see.

>> Google is free.

> It might be free, but it's not for me.
>
> nancy

It also doesn't eliminate Comcast as the ISP.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote
>
> >"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> Thank you very much, Cheryl. It could well mean a change of
> >> ISP for me, we'll see.

> >Google is free.

> It might be free, but it's not for me.

FYI I found this on alt.online-service.comcast today

Posted by ComcastCares at 4:04CDT. today:

"The Comcast Newsgroups service, powered by Giganews has been
discontinued effective 9/17/08. Existing customers will continue to be
able to access the service until 10/25/08

This decision is in alignment with other ISP's that have recently
terminated their Newsgroups service due to the declining popularity of
Newsgroups as customers chose other methods, such as RSS feeds and web
browsing to access information.

While the majority of Newsgroups are safe, newsgroups have been found to
be a source of child pornography on the internet. This is just one of
the child protection measures Comcast has taken to help reduce access to
child pornography..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote

> While the majority of Newsgroups are safe, newsgroups have been found to
> be a source of child pornography on the internet. This is just one of
> the child protection measures Comcast has taken to help reduce access to
> child pornography..."

Idiots if that's what they really think. I am assuming they just
want to drop usenet.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote
>
> > While the majority of Newsgroups are safe, newsgroups have been found to
> > be a source of child pornography on the internet. This is just one of
> > the child protection measures Comcast has taken to help reduce access to
> > child pornography..."

> Idiots if that's what they really think. I am assuming they just
> want to drop usenet.

Yup, with all the lame excuses we see for everything every day this is about
the absolute *lamest*...they really *do* assume that we are that dumb.

I was seriously considering going with Comcast for internet (I've got them
for phone and cable teevee) but I guess I'll stay with Earthlink...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote
>
>> While the majority of Newsgroups are safe, newsgroups have been found to
>> be a source of child pornography on the internet. This is just one of
>> the child protection measures Comcast has taken to help reduce access to
>> child pornography..."

> Idiots if that's what they really think. I am assuming they just
> want to drop usenet.

I'll probably be sorry, but I ordered Verizon DSL today. $19.99 a month for
as long as I have the service. I don't have a need for FIOS. From there
I'll find a reliable news provider.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote
>
> > While the majority of Newsgroups are safe, newsgroups have been found to
> > be a source of child pornography on the internet. This is just one of
> > the child protection measures Comcast has taken to help reduce access to
> > child pornography..."

> Idiots if that's what they really think. �I am assuming they just
> want to drop usenet.
>
> nancy

Usenet requires a tremendous amount of server space that ISPs can put
to more economically beneficial use, plus Google makes the service
redundant... that's why AOL dropped Usenet and other services. I have
a choice to use my provider (Verizon DSL - of course for that I need
to pay) to access the net, which I sometimes do, but I still prefer
AOL for its many other services. I have no problem with Google,
granted it took a little getting used to, but once I got the hang of
which of its features I prefer it became as second nature as when I
used AOL for usenet. At first I did try a couple of recommended ways
to access usenet that I had to pay for but they sucked as badly as
using IE. And Google is always making neat upgrades, I only wish they
would announce first, instead they are foisted on users, who need to
find out the details later. Now that I've been using Google for a
while I've grown to like it, I've no complaints.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote on Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:31:20 -0400:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote
>>
>>> While the majority of Newsgroups are safe, newsgroups have
>>> been found to be a source of child pornography on the
>>> internet. This is just one of the child protection measures Comcast
>>> has taken to help reduce access to child
>>> pornography..."

>> Idiots if that's what they really think. I am assuming they just
>> want to drop usenet.
>>

>I'll probably be sorry, but I ordered Verizon DSL today. $19.99 a
>month for as long as I have the service. I don't have
>a need for FIOS. From there I'll find a reliable news provider.

For many years, I was just too far away for DSL so I went to Comcast and
then to Verizon FIOS

Good luck!
..
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote
>
>> While the majority of Newsgroups are safe, newsgroups have been found to
>> be a source of child pornography on the internet. This is just one of
>> the child protection measures Comcast has taken to help reduce access to
>> child pornography..."

> Idiots if that's what they really think. I am assuming they just
> want to drop usenet.
>
> nancy

They simply caved in to his majesty andrew cumo's grandstanding:

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080721/1545501748.shtml

The first one to cave in was aol which was interesting because they
haven't had NNTP access for years. I guess maybe they though they would
someone become relevant if they agreed with his majesty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:06:34 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>"The Comcast Newsgroups service, powered by Giganews has been
>discontinued effective 9/17/08. Existing customers will continue to be
>able to access the service until 10/25/08
>
>This decision is in alignment with other ISP's that have recently
>terminated their Newsgroups service due to the declining popularity of
>Newsgroups as customers chose other methods, such as RSS feeds and web
>browsing to access information.
>
>While the majority of Newsgroups are safe, newsgroups have been found to
>be a source of child pornography on the internet. This is just one of
>the child protection measures Comcast has taken to help reduce access to
>child pornography..."
>
></>

Howdy,

I just spoke to folks at Comcast.

According to them, there has been no such announcement.

All the best,
--
Kenneth