Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default rec idea: Chocolate Banana Upside-down Cake

I;m not going to type this up from the November 1934 American
Cookery. Essentially, you mix melted butter and brown sugar in a
cake pan, top with sliced (whichever way appeals to you) bananas,
then use a chocolate cake batter. Sounds like a yummy combination!
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> I;m not going to type this up from the November 1934 American Cookery.

Well then **** off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:43:11 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>I;m not going to type this up from the November 1934 American
>Cookery. Essentially, you mix melted butter and brown sugar in a
>cake pan, top with sliced (whichever way appeals to you) bananas,
>then use a chocolate cake batter. Sounds like a yummy combination!

It is!! And this version is from Steven Raichlen from his famous Miami
Spice Cookbook....it is so good.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Chocolate Banana Sin Cake

cakes, chocolate, desserts, fruits

----CAKE----
1 lb semisweet chocolate
8 tablespoon butter
4 large eggs
4 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
----BANANA TOPPING----
1 lb bananas, ripe
2 tablespoon orange juice
3 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoon sugar
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoon confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon light rum
1 oz semisweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 10" springform pan and sprinkle with
sugar.

Prepare the cake: Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler
over
simmering water. When the chocolate has completely melted, whisk in
the
butter a tablespoon at a time. Let the mixture cool slightly.

Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks with 2 tablespoons of sugar in a mixer
at
high speed until mixture is ivory colored and as thick as marshmallow
topping about 5 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch and vanilla.

Beat the egg whites, adding the cream of tartar after 20 seconds, and
adding the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar as the whites stiffen to
soft
peaks. Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the chocolate mixture.
Fold in
the egg whites as gently as possible.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake until firm on
top but
the center is still a little soft, about 30 minutes. Remove the pan
from
the oven, set on rack and let cool to room temperature. Run knife
around
edge and remove from pan. Cake will sink a little in the center.

Prepare the topping: Peel the bananas and cut them into 1/4 inch
slices.
Toss the bananas with the orange juice to prevent discoloring.

Combine the butter and sugar in a large skillet over high heat and
cook
until mixture begins to caramelize, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the
bananas and cook, turning, until golden about 4 minutes. Let the
banana
mixture cool completely.

Beat the cream in a chilled bowl with a mixer. As the cream stiffens,
beat
in the confectioners' sugar and rum to taste. Continue beating until
stiff.

Spoon the caramelized banana mixture on top of the cake. With pastry
bag,
fitted with star tip, pipe rosettes of cream over the top. Use a
vegetable
peeler to shave the chocolate over cake. Refrigerate leftovers.

Notes: Miami Spice S. Raichlen

Yield: 8 servings

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> I;m not going to type this up from the November 1934 American Cookery.
> Essentially, you mix melted butter and brown sugar in a cake pan, top
> with sliced (whichever way appeals to you) bananas, then use a chocolate
> cake batter. Sounds like a yummy combination!

Sounds wonderful!
I think this needs a Black Magic Cake over the bananas!

Black Magic Cake
Ingredients:

* 2 cups sugar
* 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
* 1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
plus 1 cup boiling water
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or
one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and
salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat
on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter
evenly into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for
rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost
as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> I;m not going to type this up from the November 1934 American Cookery.
> Essentially, you mix melted butter and brown sugar in a cake pan, top
> with sliced (whichever way appeals to you) bananas, then use a chocolate
> cake batter. Sounds like a yummy combination!

From David Lebovitz:
For the topping:

1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
3 ripe, medium-sized bananas
Juice of 1/2 lemon

1. To make the topping, mix the brown sugar and water together in an
8-inch square metal cake pan or cast iron skillet.

2. Heat the mixture until it begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer
45 seconds, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

3. When cool, slice the bananas into 1/4-inch thick slices.
Arrange them in rows over the melted sugar in the pan, overlapping
them slightly. Sprinkle the slices with the lemon juice.

Another from Epicurious:

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large ripe bananas, sliced

Cream the butter and sugar, spread in pan, cover with bananas

And yet another:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 firm but ripe large bananas, peeled, cut diagonally into
1/4-inch-thick slices

Melt butter in saucepan, add sugar and stir until smooth.
Pour into cake pan, cover with banana slices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:
> [...]
> Toss the bananas with the orange juice to prevent discoloring.
>
> Combine the butter and sugar in a large skillet over high heat and
> cook
> until mixture begins to caramelize, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the
> bananas and cook, turning, until golden about 4 minutes. Let the
> banana
> mixture cool completely.
>
> Beat the cream in a chilled bowl with a mixer. As the cream stiffens,
> beat
> in the confectioners' sugar and rum to taste. Continue beating until
> stiff.
>
> Spoon the caramelized banana mixture on top of the cake. With pastry
> bag,
> fitted with star tip, pipe rosettes of cream over the top. Use a
> vegetable
> peeler to shave the chocolate over cake. Refrigerate leftovers.

Heh! I should have known that such a yummy combination hasn't
been totally lost over time. Thanks!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bell wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> I;m not going to type this up from the November 1934 American
>> Cookery. Essentially, you mix melted butter and brown sugar in a cake
>> pan, top with sliced (whichever way appeals to you) bananas, then use
>> a chocolate cake batter. Sounds like a yummy combination!

> From David Lebovitz:
> For the topping:
>
> 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
> 2 tablespoons water
> 3 ripe, medium-sized bananas
> Juice of 1/2 lemon
>
> 1. To make the topping, mix the brown sugar and water together in an
> 8-inch square metal cake pan or cast iron skillet.
>
> 2. Heat the mixture until it begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer
> 45 seconds, stirring constantly.
> Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
>
> 3. When cool, slice the bananas into 1/4-inch thick slices.
> Arrange them in rows over the melted sugar in the pan, overlapping
> them slightly. Sprinkle the slices with the lemon juice.
>

> Another from Epicurious:
>
> 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
> 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
> 2 large ripe bananas, sliced
>
> Cream the butter and sugar, spread in pan, cover with bananas
>
> And yet another:
>
> 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
> 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
> 2 firm but ripe large bananas, peeled, cut diagonally into
> 1/4-inch-thick slices
>
> Melt butter in saucepan, add sugar and stir until smooth.
> Pour into cake pan, cover with banana slices.

Oh... Now I am thinking of a recipe from the old Time-Life
international series--the Creole and Acadian volume, I think. It
might make an interesting upside down-cake topping (but perhaps
NOT on a chocolate cake):

Sherry-Baked Bananas
Source: (IIRC) Time-Life's Creole and Acadian cookbook.
Alterations by Jean B.

T-L had this as a side-dish. It makes a nice fruit dessert though.

1/3 c dry Sherry
1/3 c dark brown sugar
4 Tbsps apricot preserves (I always use Smuckers--and,
unfortunately, the healthier stuff isn't as yummy, IMO)
4 Tbsps melted butter
juice of 1 lemon (I always interpret this to mean a very juicy
lemon--about 4 Tbsps juice)
6 firm ripe bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise

Preheat oven to 350F.

Thoroughly combine everything but bananas. Arrange bananas flat
side down in lightly buttered baking dish. Spoon sauce mixture
over them. Bake 30 minutes at 350F or until tender. Sauce should
be reduced to a nice thick syrup by then.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> Sherry-Baked Bananas
> Source: (IIRC) Time-Life's Creole and Acadian cookbook. Alterations by
> Jean B.
>
> T-L had this as a side-dish. It makes a nice fruit dessert though.
>
> 1/3 c dry Sherry
> 1/3 c dark brown sugar
> 4 Tbsps apricot preserves (I always use Smuckers--and, unfortunately,
> the healthier stuff isn't as yummy, IMO)
> 4 Tbsps melted butter
> juice of 1 lemon (I always interpret this to mean a very juicy
> lemon--about 4 Tbsps juice)
> 6 firm ripe bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise
>
> Preheat oven to 350F.
>
> Thoroughly combine everything but bananas. Arrange bananas flat side
> down in lightly buttered baking dish. Spoon sauce mixture over them.
> Bake 30 minutes at 350F or until tender. Sauce should be reduced to a
> nice thick syrup by then.

I've had this. It's wonderful, but I recommend rum or whiskey instead
of the sherry. I also recommend throwing in an apple or a peach. And
if you have to choose between firm bananas and ripe bananas, go with the
ripe.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>>
>> Sherry-Baked Bananas
>> Source: (IIRC) Time-Life's Creole and Acadian cookbook. Alterations
>> by Jean B.
>>
>> T-L had this as a side-dish. It makes a nice fruit dessert though.
>>
>> 1/3 c dry Sherry
>> 1/3 c dark brown sugar
>> 4 Tbsps apricot preserves (I always use Smuckers--and, unfortunately,
>> the healthier stuff isn't as yummy, IMO)
>> 4 Tbsps melted butter
>> juice of 1 lemon (I always interpret this to mean a very juicy
>> lemon--about 4 Tbsps juice)
>> 6 firm ripe bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise
>>
>> Preheat oven to 350F.
>>
>> Thoroughly combine everything but bananas. Arrange bananas flat side
>> down in lightly buttered baking dish. Spoon sauce mixture over them.
>> Bake 30 minutes at 350F or until tender. Sauce should be reduced to a
>> nice thick syrup by then.

> I've had this. It's wonderful, but I recommend rum or whiskey instead
> of the sherry. I also recommend throwing in an apple or a peach. And
> if you have to choose between firm bananas and ripe bananas, go with the
> ripe.
>

> --Lia

Uh, I hate rum. :-) Interesting thought about the other fruits.
Gee, now I have things to shop for....

I ALMOST made that molasses bread thing this morning, but I
couldn't find any molasses here. Now, if you knew that I have
practically a whole store stockpiled here, you would know just how
odd that was.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:29:08 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Heh! I should have known that such a yummy combination hasn't
>been totally lost over time. Thanks!

Remember the chocolate covered frozen bananas at the county fairs? I
love chocolate and banana!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:29:08 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Heh! I should have known that such a yummy combination hasn't
>> been totally lost over time. Thanks!

> Remember the chocolate covered frozen bananas at the county fairs? I
> love chocolate and banana!

Oh, sure. I am well aware of this combo in general--just not in
an upside-down cake.

--
Jean B.