Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Bell Dave Bell is offline

Default rec idea: Chocolate Banana Upside-down Cake

Jean B. wrote:
> I;m not going to type this up from the November 1934 American Cookery.
> Essentially, you mix melted butter and brown sugar in a cake pan, top
> with sliced (whichever way appeals to you) bananas, then use a chocolate
> cake batter. Sounds like a yummy combination!

Sounds wonderful!
I think this needs a Black Magic Cake over the bananas!

Black Magic Cake
Ingredients:

* 2 cups sugar
* 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
* 1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
plus 1 cup boiling water
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or
one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and
salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat
on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter
evenly into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for
rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost
as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

Dave