Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default rec idea: Chocolate Banana Upside-down Cake

Jean B. wrote:

> Sherry-Baked Bananas
> Source: (IIRC) Time-Life's Creole and Acadian cookbook. Alterations by
> Jean B.
>
> T-L had this as a side-dish. It makes a nice fruit dessert though.
>
> 1/3 c dry Sherry
> 1/3 c dark brown sugar
> 4 Tbsps apricot preserves (I always use Smuckers--and, unfortunately,
> the healthier stuff isn't as yummy, IMO)
> 4 Tbsps melted butter
> juice of 1 lemon (I always interpret this to mean a very juicy
> lemon--about 4 Tbsps juice)
> 6 firm ripe bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise
>
> Preheat oven to 350F.
>
> Thoroughly combine everything but bananas. Arrange bananas flat side
> down in lightly buttered baking dish. Spoon sauce mixture over them.
> Bake 30 minutes at 350F or until tender. Sauce should be reduced to a
> nice thick syrup by then.

I've had this. It's wonderful, but I recommend rum or whiskey instead
of the sherry. I also recommend throwing in an apple or a peach. And
if you have to choose between firm bananas and ripe bananas, go with the
ripe.

--Lia