Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Default Microwaves

Microwave cookers are an ingenious invention, but does anyone really use
them for cooking rather than reheating?

Sure, I use mine for softening butter or reheating tinned beans and
soups etc. but I could never see myself actually cooking a raw chicken
in one.

What do you use your microwave oven for?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:
> Microwave cookers are an ingenious invention, but does anyone really use
> them for cooking rather than reheating?
>
> Sure, I use mine for softening butter or reheating tinned beans and
> soups etc. but I could never see myself actually cooking a raw chicken
> in one.
>
> What do you use your microwave oven for?

I don't have one, but when I did, I used it almost exclusively for
reheating or thawing things.

Serene
--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 06:10:35p, Corey Richardson told us...

> Microwave cookers are an ingenious invention, but does anyone really use
> them for cooking rather than reheating?
>
> Sure, I use mine for softening butter or reheating tinned beans and
> soups etc. but I could never see myself actually cooking a raw chicken
> in one.
>
> What do you use your microwave oven for?

I cook many things in mine with the exception of meats. I also use it for
the things most people do, defrosting, melting, reheating, etc.

I should say that I have a Panasonic with inverter turbo cooking
technology, which is quite different than most other microwaves. When you
select a power setting, you get a constant flow of power at that setting
rather than the usual pulsing at full power to achieve the lower power
level. This makes a big difference in cooking results.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 5hrs 37mins
CONgress (n) - Opposite of PROgress

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Corey Richardson wrote:
>> Microwave cookers are an ingenious invention, but does anyone really use
>> them for cooking rather than reheating?
>>
>> Sure, I use mine for softening butter or reheating tinned beans and
>> soups etc. but I could never see myself actually cooking a raw chicken
>> in one.
>>
>> What do you use your microwave oven for?
>>

> I don't have one, but when I did, I used it almost exclusively for
> reheating or thawing things.
>
> Serene
> --
> "I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
> the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

I've cooked roast beef in them (in an oven bag), then finished them off
(browned them) in a hot oven for 15-20mins so I can get those great crunchy
bits :-)

and...the juices from the roast all get saved within the bag instead of
evaporate, (which I drain off a bit at at time, as it's cooking) to make an
awesome gravy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Sep 3, 9:10�pm, Corey Richardson >
wrote:
> Microwave cookers are an ingenious invention, but does anyone really use
> them for cooking rather than reheating?
>
> Sure, I use mine for softening butter or reheating tinned beans and
> soups etc. but I could never see myself actually cooking a raw chicken
> in one.
>
> What do you use your microwave oven for?

They're great for cooking veggies of all kinds... and yes, chocolate
is a vegetable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 06:10:35p, Corey Richardson told us...
>
>> Microwave cookers are an ingenious invention, but does anyone really use
>> them for cooking rather than reheating?
>>
>> Sure, I use mine for softening butter or reheating tinned beans and
>> soups etc. but I could never see myself actually cooking a raw chicken
>> in one.
>>
>> What do you use your microwave oven for?

> I cook many things in mine with the exception of meats. I also use it for
> the things most people do, defrosting, melting, reheating, etc.
>
> I should say that I have a Panasonic with inverter turbo cooking
> technology, which is quite different than most other microwaves. When you
> select a power setting, you get a constant flow of power at that setting
> rather than the usual pulsing at full power to achieve the lower power
> level. This makes a big difference in cooking results.

That's what I thought with my Panasonic inverter turbo. Then I was
doing something with it one day, and my TV isn't far from my microwave,
and I could plainly see from the interference on the television that the
oven was cycling power off and on to obtain that partial setting.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> Corey Richardson wrote:
>> Microwave cookers are an ingenious invention, but does anyone really use
>> them for cooking rather than reheating?
>>
>> Sure, I use mine for softening butter or reheating tinned beans and
>> soups etc. but I could never see myself actually cooking a raw chicken
>> in one.
>>
>> What do you use your microwave oven for?

> I don't have one, but when I did, I used it almost exclusively for
> reheating or thawing things.

Ditto -- plus popcorn.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 08:34:23p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 06:10:35p, Corey Richardson told us...
>>
>>> Microwave cookers are an ingenious invention, but does anyone really
>>> use them for cooking rather than reheating?
>>>
>>> Sure, I use mine for softening butter or reheating tinned beans and
>>> soups etc. but I could never see myself actually cooking a raw chicken
>>> in one.
>>>
>>> What do you use your microwave oven for?

>> I cook many things in mine with the exception of meats. I also use it
>> for the things most people do, defrosting, melting, reheating, etc.
>>
>> I should say that I have a Panasonic with inverter turbo cooking
>> technology, which is quite different than most other microwaves. When
>> you select a power setting, you get a constant flow of power at that
>> setting rather than the usual pulsing at full power to achieve the
>> lower power level. This makes a big difference in cooking results.

> That's what I thought with my Panasonic inverter turbo. Then I was
> doing something with it one day, and my TV isn't far from my microwave,
> and I could plainly see from the interference on the television that the
> oven was cycling power off and on to obtain that partial setting.

That's very surprising to me. I've had mine for about 5 years, and I've
never noticed any cycling. Perhaps it depends on the setting, but I
haven't noticed it any setting I've used. I do know, visually, that
there's no typical rise and fall of cooking liquids as there is with
conventional M/W ovens. Maybe there's a power buffer of some sort? All I
know is that it appears to produce constant power.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 3hrs 12mins
The buck doesn't even slow down here!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> Corey Richardson wrote:
>>> Microwave cookers are an ingenious invention, but does anyone really use
>>> them for cooking rather than reheating?
>>>
>>> Sure, I use mine for softening butter or reheating tinned beans and
>>> soups etc. but I could never see myself actually cooking a raw chicken
>>> in one.
>>>
>>> What do you use your microwave oven for?

>> I don't have one, but when I did, I used it almost exclusively for
>> reheating or thawing things.

> Ditto -- plus popcorn.

Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a pot
on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor stuff
just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying there's
anything wrong with people who DO like it.)

Serene

--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 09:16:09p, Serene Vannoy told us...

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

use

>>> I don't have one, but when I did, I used it almost exclusively for
>>> reheating or thawing things.

>> Ditto -- plus popcorn.
>>

> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a pot
> on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor stuff
> just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying there's
> anything wrong with people who DO like it.)
>
> Serene

For some reason I never had really good luck with popping corn in a pot on
the stove. I used to have a "Stir Crazy" popcorn popper that made
fantastic popcorn. Unfortunately, when it died, I didn't replace it. I
think they still make them. Maybe I should buy one. We've been using
microwave popcorn since then. I don't mind it too much, the the real stuff
is definitely better.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 2hrs 41mins
I've got Parkinson's disease. And he's
got mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > fnord
:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>>> I don't have one, but when I did, I used it almost exclusively for
>>> reheating or thawing things.

>> Ditto -- plus popcorn.
>>

> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a
> pot on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor
> stuff just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying
> there's anything wrong with people who DO like it.)

ugh, the people at work make that all the time. and half the time it
burns

--
Saerah (wishes her cubicle wasnt by the microwave)

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> For some reason I never had really good luck with popping corn in a pot on
> the stove. I used to have a "Stir Crazy" popcorn popper that made
> fantastic popcorn. Unfortunately, when it died, I didn't replace it. I
> think they still make them. Maybe I should buy one. We've been using
> microwave popcorn since then. I don't mind it too much, the the real stuff
> is definitely better.

I do just fine with a regular pot on the stove, but James bought me this
for my birthday once, and I like it a lot (except it's harder to keep
clean than a regular pot). It was around $10-15 when he got it on eBay,
I think:

http://willowtreehome.com/Home-Decor/166-10134.html

Serene

--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 08:34:23p, Blinky the Shark told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 06:10:35p, Corey Richardson told us...

>>> I cook many things in mine with the exception of meats. I also use it
>>> for the things most people do, defrosting, melting, reheating, etc.
>>>
>>> I should say that I have a Panasonic with inverter turbo cooking
>>> technology, which is quite different than most other microwaves. When
>>> you select a power setting, you get a constant flow of power at that
>>> setting rather than the usual pulsing at full power to achieve the
>>> lower power level. This makes a big difference in cooking results.

>> That's what I thought with my Panasonic inverter turbo. Then I was
>> doing something with it one day, and my TV isn't far from my microwave,
>> and I could plainly see from the interference on the television that the
>> oven was cycling power off and on to obtain that partial setting.

> That's very surprising to me. I've had mine for about 5 years, and I've
> never noticed any cycling. Perhaps it depends on the setting, but I
> haven't noticed it any setting I've used. I do know, visually, that
> there's no typical rise and fall of cooking liquids as there is with
> conventional M/W ovens. Maybe there's a power buffer of some sort? All I
> know is that it appears to produce constant power.

Could be a model difference. But mine's probably close to yours in age --
maybe a year or two older. Got a portable TV (with a tuner) you can stick
*right next* to it for an experiment? I mean, mine is literally <measures>
two inches from the back of the MW. (The MW sits on an island that
separates the kitchen from the living room, and backs up to the living
room; the TV is in that corner of the living room.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>>> I don't have one, but when I did, I used it almost exclusively for
>>> reheating or thawing things.

>> Ditto -- plus popcorn.
>>

> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a pot
> on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor stuff
> just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying there's
> anything wrong with people who DO like it.)

I grew up with stove-pot popcorn, too. Wasn't any microwave popcorn in
the 1950s. I don't even think we even used the Jiffy-Pop type disposable
aluminum poppers, if they were available. From memory, I prefer microwave.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 09:36:53p, Serene Vannoy told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> For some reason I never had really good luck with popping corn in a pot
>> on the stove. I used to have a "Stir Crazy" popcorn popper that made
>> fantastic popcorn. Unfortunately, when it died, I didn't replace it.
>> I think they still make them. Maybe I should buy one. We've been using
>> microwave popcorn since then. I don't mind it too much, the the real
>> stuff is definitely better.

> I do just fine with a regular pot on the stove, but James bought me this
> for my birthday once, and I like it a lot (except it's harder to keep
> clean than a regular pot). It was around $10-15 when he got it on eBay,
> I think:
>
> http://willowtreehome.com/Home-Decor/166-10134.html
>
> Serene

I even had one of those at one time, Serene, but still I managed to make
lousy popcorn. I guess Ijust don't have the touch. :-) I loved the
concept, but I still burned the damned popcorn. And, yes, it was hard to
keep clean. I finally gave it to a friend who made great popcorn in it.

This is like the Stir-Crazy I had. It did the job I could do. :-) Now I'm
thinking I should buy anothero and skip the m/w popcorn.

http://www.comforthouse.com/corpophotoil.html

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 2hrs 20mins
It's always easier to just fall than
to try to climb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 09:35:45p, Saerah Gray told us...

> Serene Vannoy > fnord
> :
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Ditto -- plus popcorn.
>>>

>> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a
>> pot on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor
>> stuff just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying
>> there's anything wrong with people who DO like it.)
>>

> ugh, the people at work make that all the time. and half the time it
> burns

They do that at my office, too, and it really stinks when it burns.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 2hrs 13mins
There's nothing so habit-forming as
money. --Don Marquis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>>> I don't have one, but when I did, I used it almost exclusively for
>>> reheating or thawing things.

>> Ditto -- plus popcorn.

> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a pot on
> the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor stuff just
> tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying there's anything
> wrong with people who DO like it.)

We use standard popcorn in a microwave popper. A little bit of oil, half
cup of kernels, 3-4 minutes at full power, add some salt and enjoy.

That shit in the trifold bag isn't fit for human consumption.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 09:16:09p, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

> use

>>> Ditto -- plus popcorn.
>>>

>> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a pot
>> on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor stuff
>> just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying there's
>> anything wrong with people who DO like it.)
>>
>> Serene
>>

> For some reason I never had really good luck with popping corn in a pot on
> the stove. I used to have a "Stir Crazy" popcorn popper that made
> fantastic popcorn. Unfortunately, when it died, I didn't replace it. I
> think they still make them. Maybe I should buy one. We've been using
> microwave popcorn since then. I don't mind it too much, the the real
> stuff
> is definitely better.

This is what we have,
http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-12...0504170&sr=8-2

Sorry if the link's long. Cut and paste is your friend.

My Mother had one of these for many years and eventually lost the lid.
I'd been cooking popcorn on the stove since I was big enough to see the
pilot light. She tried a hot air popper once. Worthless.

This makes the real, greasy deal.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 09:37:40p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> That's what I thought with my Panasonic inverter turbo. Then I was
>>> doing something with it one day, and my TV isn't far from my
>>> microwave, and I could plainly see from the interference on the
>>> television that the oven was cycling power off and on to obtain that
>>> partial setting.

>> That's very surprising to me. I've had mine for about 5 years, and
>> I've never noticed any cycling. Perhaps it depends on the setting, but
>> I haven't noticed it any setting I've used. I do know, visually, that
>> there's no typical rise and fall of cooking liquids as there is with
>> conventional M/W ovens. Maybe there's a power buffer of some sort?
>> All I know is that it appears to produce constant power.

> Could be a model difference. But mine's probably close to yours in age
> -- maybe a year or two older. Got a portable TV (with a tuner) you can
> stick *right next* to it for an experiment? I mean, mine is literally
> <measures> two inches from the back of the MW. (The MW sits on an
> island that separates the kitchen from the living room, and backs up to
> the living room; the TV is in that corner of the living room.

We don't have a portable set, only three 32" tube sets and nowhere hear the
microwave, so that wouldn't be too convenient. I'll take your word for it,
but if it does "pulse", at least it's inperceptible in mine. The cooking
power appears to perfectly even.

Oh, I will say that when using the Turbo Defrost setting, the power does
cut in and out at intervals but they are long intervals in between, not
exactly at the rate most microwaves pulse to maintain a setting. I think
the intervals are to allow the heat generated to penetrate the frozen food
better. It really defrosts evenly with no "cooked" spots.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 2hrs 5mins
Don't spit in the soup. We've all got
to eat. --Lyndon B. Johnson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 09:36:53p, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> For some reason I never had really good luck with popping corn in a pot
>>> on the stove. I used to have a "Stir Crazy" popcorn popper that made
>>> fantastic popcorn. Unfortunately, when it died, I didn't replace it.
>>> I think they still make them. Maybe I should buy one. We've been using
>>> microwave popcorn since then. I don't mind it too much, the the real
>>> stuff is definitely better.

>> I do just fine with a regular pot on the stove, but James bought me this
>> for my birthday once, and I like it a lot (except it's harder to keep
>> clean than a regular pot). It was around $10-15 when he got it on eBay,
>> I think:
>>
>> http://willowtreehome.com/Home-Decor/166-10134.html
>>
>> Serene
>>

> I even had one of those at one time, Serene, but still I managed to make
> lousy popcorn. I guess Ijust don't have the touch. :-) I loved the
> concept, but I still burned the damned popcorn. And, yes, it was hard to
> keep clean. I finally gave it to a friend who made great popcorn in it.
>
> This is like the Stir-Crazy I had. It did the job I could do. :-) Now
> I'm
> thinking I should buy anothero and skip the m/w popcorn.
>
> http://www.comforthouse.com/corpophotoil.html

Cornpopholio?!?!?

Get the one in the link I just sent. I'll give you your money back if
you're not satisfied.
$39 for popcorn! Insane.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 09:58:32p, TFM® told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...

>> use

>>> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a
>>> pot on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor
>>> stuff just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying
>>> there's anything wrong with people who DO like it.)
>>>
>>> Serene
>>>

>> For some reason I never had really good luck with popping corn in a pot
>> on the stove. I used to have a "Stir Crazy" popcorn popper that made
>> fantastic popcorn. Unfortunately, when it died, I didn't replace it.
>> I think they still make them. Maybe I should buy one. We've been using
>> microwave popcorn since then. I don't mind it too much, the the real
>> stuff
>> is definitely better.

> This is what we have,
> http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-12...dp/B00004W4UP/
> ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1220504170&sr=8-2
>
> Sorry if the link's long. Cut and paste is your friend.
>
> My Mother had one of these for many years and eventually lost the lid.
> I'd been cooking popcorn on the stove since I was big enough to see the
> pilot light. She tried a hot air popper once. Worthless.
>
> This makes the real, greasy deal.
>

> TFM®

Now there's something to consider and a hell of a lot cheaper than the
Stir-Crazy. Can you put it in a dishwasher?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 1hrs 49mins
We should build an Intel processor out
of penguins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:10:19p, TFM® told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...

pot

using

>>> I do just fine with a regular pot on the stove, but James bought me

this
>>> for my birthday once, and I like it a lot (except it's harder to keep
>>> clean than a regular pot). It was around $10-15 when he got it on eBay,
>>> I think:
>>>
>>> http://willowtreehome.com/Home-Decor/166-10134.html
>>>
>>> Serene
>>>

>> I even had one of those at one time, Serene, but still I managed to make
>> lousy popcorn. I guess Ijust don't have the touch. :-) I loved the
>> concept, but I still burned the damned popcorn. And, yes, it was hard

>> keep clean. I finally gave it to a friend who made great popcorn in it.
>>
>> This is like the Stir-Crazy I had. It did the job I could do. :-) Now
>> I'm
>> thinking I should buy anothero and skip the m/w popcorn.
>>
>> http://www.comforthouse.com/corpophotoil.html

> Cornpopholio?!?!?
>
> Get the one in the link I just sent. I'll give you your money back if
> you're not satisfied.
> $39 for popcorn! Insane.
>

> TFM®

I think I'm going to order the one like you have. Much faster, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 1hrs 45mins
Don't talk unless you can improve the
silence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
> Now there's something to consider and a hell of a lot cheaper than the
> Stir-Crazy. Can you put it in a dishwasher?

Absolutely!

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:10:19p, TFM® told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 5.250...
>>> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 09:36:53p, Serene Vannoy told us...

> pot

> using

> this

>>> I even had one of those at one time, Serene, but still I managed to make
>>> lousy popcorn. I guess Ijust don't have the touch. :-) I loved the
>>> concept, but I still burned the damned popcorn. And, yes, it was hard

>>> keep clean. I finally gave it to a friend who made great popcorn in it.
>>>
>>> This is like the Stir-Crazy I had. It did the job I could do. :-) Now
>>> I'm
>>> thinking I should buy anothero and skip the m/w popcorn.
>>>
>>> http://www.comforthouse.com/corpophotoil.html

>> Cornpopholio?!?!?
>>
>> Get the one in the link I just sent. I'll give you your money back if
>> you're not satisfied.
>> $39 for popcorn! Insane.
>>

>> TFM®
>>

> I think I'm going to order the one like you have. Much faster, too.

Money back guarantee stands. Do you take grits?

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> Ditto -- plus popcorn.

>> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a
>> pot on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor
>> stuff just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying
>> there's anything wrong with people who DO like it.)

> We use standard popcorn in a microwave popper. A little bit of oil,
> half cup of kernels, 3-4 minutes at full power, add some salt and enjoy.

Well, that's okay, then. (No microwave here, so we do it on the stove,
but I wouldn't mind *real* popcorn done in the microwave.)

> That shit in the trifold bag isn't fit for human consumption.

Yeah. I'll confess I've been known to eat it when it's the only thing
around, but it just makes me want the real stuff.

Serene

--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote

> Well, that's okay, then. (No microwave here, so we do it on the stove, but
> I wouldn't mind *real* popcorn done in the microwave.)

I made it on the stove for eons before I found that microwave popper at
amazon. Once you find the right heat level, it's a no brainer. Sheldon
could probably do it...

....if he'd get out of the closet and get that cat off the counter.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:22:05p, TFM® told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...
>> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:10:19p, TFM® told us...
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> 5.250...

>> pot

made

it.

>> using

real

>> this

eBay,

make

it.

Now

>>> Cornpopholio?!?!?
>>>
>>> Get the one in the link I just sent. I'll give you your money back if
>>> you're not satisfied.
>>> $39 for popcorn! Insane.
>>>

>>> TFM®
>>>

>> I think I'm going to order the one like you have. Much faster, too.

> Money back guarantee stands. Do you take grits?
>

> TFM®

Absolutely! Real grits, that is. But I know that's what you have! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 1hrs 22mins
Cats must knock their toys under the
refrigerator.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:20:27p, TFM® told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>> Now there's something to consider and a hell of a lot cheaper than the
>> Stir-Crazy. Can you put it in a dishwasher?

> Absolutely!
>
> TFM®

Then I'm sold. I'll probably order it tomorrow.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 1hrs 22mins
Cats must knock their toys under the
refrigerator.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> We don't have a portable set, only three 32" tube sets and nowhere hear the
> microwave, so that wouldn't be too convenient. I'll take your word for it,
> but if it does "pulse", at least it's inperceptible in mine. The cooking
> power appears to perfectly even.

It's not discernable by watching my food, either. I should've mentioned
that. Sorry.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:26:15p, Serene Vannoy told us...

> TFM® wrote:

chicken

>>> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a
>>> pot on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor
>>> stuff just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying
>>> there's anything wrong with people who DO like it.)

>> We use standard popcorn in a microwave popper. A little bit of oil,
>> half cup of kernels, 3-4 minutes at full power, add some salt and enjoy.

> Well, that's okay, then. (No microwave here, so we do it on the stove,
> but I wouldn't mind *real* popcorn done in the microwave.)
>

>> That shit in the trifold bag isn't fit for human consumption.

> Yeah. I'll confess I've been known to eat it when it's the only thing
> around, but it just makes me want the real stuff.
>
> Serene

The local theater nearest us still pops corn the old fashioned way in the
hopper style popper. Their concession stand is very near the entrance, and
I sometimes stop just to pop in and buy a bag or bucket of popcorn. It has
that really fresh theater taste.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 1hrs 18mins
Reality is an obstacle to hallucination.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:42:07p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> We don't have a portable set, only three 32" tube sets and nowhere hear
>> the microwave, so that wouldn't be too convenient. I'll take your word
>> for it, but if it does "pulse", at least it's inperceptible in mine.
>> The cooking power appears to perfectly even.

> It's not discernable by watching my food, either. I should've mentioned
> that. Sorry.

Do you notice varying intervals of pulsing at different power percentages?
I'm wondering if there's some kind of circuit that buffers the power
differently.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 1hrs 15mins
Make somebody happy. Mind your own
business.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:36:34p, TFM® told us...

> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote
>
>> Well, that's okay, then. (No microwave here, so we do it on the stove,
>> but I wouldn't mind *real* popcorn done in the microwave.)

> I made it on the stove for eons before I found that microwave popper at
> amazon. Once you find the right heat level, it's a no brainer. Sheldon
> could probably do it...
>
> ...if he'd get out of the closet and get that cat off the counter.
>

> TFM®

That damned fool would probably pop the cat and feed the popcorn.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 09(IX)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 5dys 1hrs 13mins
(X) You are here

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:42:07p, Blinky the Shark told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> We don't have a portable set, only three 32" tube sets and nowhere hear
>>> the microwave, so that wouldn't be too convenient. I'll take your word
>>> for it, but if it does "pulse", at least it's inperceptible in mine.
>>> The cooking power appears to perfectly even.

>> It's not discernable by watching my food, either. I should've mentioned
>> that. Sorry.

> Do you notice varying intervals of pulsing at different power percentages?
> I'm wondering if there's some kind of circuit that buffers the power
> differently.

I've never timed the cycles. But I would think that they would time out
differently for the various power settings.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>>> I don't have one, but when I did, I used it almost exclusively for
>>> reheating or thawing things.

>> Ditto -- plus popcorn.
>>

> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a pot
> on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor stuff
> just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying there's
> anything wrong with people who DO like it.)
>
> Serene

Same here, I can't even stand the smell of the space butter. You can
still make good popcorn in the microwave by various methods. I bought a
popper which is just a bowl made from some techie material with a loose
fitting lid and it has lasted for years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
> Microwave cookers are an ingenious invention, but does anyone really use
> them for cooking rather than reheating?
>
> Sure, I use mine for softening butter or reheating tinned beans and
> soups etc. but I could never see myself actually cooking a raw chicken
> in one.
>
> What do you use your microwave oven for?

Heating milk which is then frothed using a stick blender to produce nice
cappuccino :-o)
Mike.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

>>> I don't have one, but when I did, I used it almost exclusively for
>>> reheating or thawing things.

>> Ditto -- plus popcorn.
>>

> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a pot
> on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor stuff
> just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying there's
> anything wrong with people who DO like it.)
>
> Serene

You don't have to use that vile prepackaged stuff in the
microwave. My daughter makes popcorn in the microwave all the
time, and she just uses the plain kernels.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...

>> use

>>> Oh, I dislike microwave popcorn. I grew up on the stuff cooked in a pot
>>> on the stove, and I'm spoiled by it. That artificial butter flavor stuff
>>> just tastes really yucky to me. (Note that I'm not saying there's
>>> anything wrong with people who DO like it.)
>>>
>>> Serene
>>>

>> For some reason I never had really good luck with popping corn in a
>> pot on
>> the stove. I used to have a "Stir Crazy" popcorn popper that made
>> fantastic popcorn. Unfortunately, when it died, I didn't replace it. I
>> think they still make them. Maybe I should buy one. We've been using
>> microwave popcorn since then. I don't mind it too much, the the real
>> stuff
>> is definitely better.

> This is what we have,
> http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-12...0504170&sr=8-2
>

> Sorry if the link's long. Cut and paste is your friend.
>
> My Mother had one of these for many years and eventually lost the lid.
> I'd been cooking popcorn on the stove since I was big enough to see the
> pilot light. She tried a hot air popper once. Worthless.
>
> This makes the real, greasy deal.
>

> TFM®

I have that, but we usually use the old, now cracked, Littonware
popper. And we don't put anything but popcorn in it. The butter
and salt get added after it is popped.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:26:15p, Serene Vannoy told us...
>
>> TFM® wrote:

> chicken

>>> We use standard popcorn in a microwave popper. A little bit of oil,
>>> half cup of kernels, 3-4 minutes at full power, add some salt and enjoy.

>> Well, that's okay, then. (No microwave here, so we do it on the stove,
>> but I wouldn't mind *real* popcorn done in the microwave.)
>>
>>> That shit in the trifold bag isn't fit for human consumption.

>> Yeah. I'll confess I've been known to eat it when it's the only thing
>> around, but it just makes me want the real stuff.
>>
>> Serene
>>

> The local theater nearest us still pops corn the old fashioned way in the
> hopper style popper. Their concession stand is very near the entrance, and
> I sometimes stop just to pop in and buy a bag or bucket of popcorn. It has
> that really fresh theater taste.

Ah yes. There is an independent movie theatre in a city near
Boston that actually uses butter on it popcorn. THAT I might eat.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> Ah yes. There is an independent movie theatre in a city near Boston
> that actually uses butter on it popcorn. THAT I might eat.

The West Newton Cinema? I am fairly certain they serve real butter. I go
there every once in awhile.
I think there are a couple others - Belmont and Arlington have small
independent theaters too.

-Tracy