Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Adventures in cooking land

Where to start? OK, I've just taken a job at a restaurant. I've talked the
talk and now need to walk... yada. Despite being in a cooking school 35+
yrs ago, I decided then cooking was not a prof I wanted to persue. Now,
things are diff. In this area, cooking is a job to be counted on. So....

Started about 10 days ago, as a dishwasher. Jes got promoted to prep cook
yesterday. I see things that are an eye opener. Some good, some not so. A
pretty good restaurant, but.....

I will be reporting on the life and times of a geezer foodie taking up the
career of an aspiring cook-to-be. Should be interesting. Also, this is
the last time I will be typing like a kid. Discovered I have carpel tunnel
yada, so will be going into afflicted cel fon txt mod.

Luv U al!
nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Where to start? �OK, I've just taken a job at a restaurant. �I've talked the
> talk and now need to walk... yada. �Despite being in a cooking school 35+
> yrs ago, I decided then cooking was not a prof I wanted to persue. �Now,
> things are diff. �In this area, cooking is a job to be counted on.. �So....
>
> Started about 10 days ago, as a dishwasher. �Jes got promoted to prep cook
> yesterday. �I see things that are an eye opener. �Some good, some not so. �A
> pretty good restaurant, but.....
>
> I will be reporting on the life and times of a geezer foodie taking up the
> career of an aspiring cook-to-be. �Should be interesting. �Also, �this is
> the last time I will be typing like a kid. �Discovered I have carpel tunnel
> yada, so will be going into afflicted cel fon txt mod. � �
>
> Luv U al!
> nb

Inquiring minds need to know, what kind of joint?

Good Luck!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-27, Sheldon > wrote:

> Inquiring minds need to know, what kind of joint?

Shel..

supsdly, best in twn, but......

I c grt ingreds used 4 fst fd tchnqs. lota saute (sklt) dshes, both ital nd
orintl. otoh, bacn wrp sea sclps, huge scampi plates, ny stks, etc. lota
grt meals, but room 4 improv. $6k wrth of sprsso eqpt, but no clue of how
to use. the eggs beny with holnday mix aproch.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Where to start? OK, I've just taken a job at a restaurant. I've talked the
> talk and now need to walk... yada. Despite being in a cooking school 35+
> yrs ago, I decided then cooking was not a prof I wanted to persue. Now,
> things are diff. In this area, cooking is a job to be counted on. So....
>
> Started about 10 days ago, as a dishwasher. Jes got promoted to prep cook
> yesterday. I see things that are an eye opener. Some good, some not so. A
> pretty good restaurant, but.....
>
> I will be reporting on the life and times of a geezer foodie taking up the
> career of an aspiring cook-to-be. Should be interesting. Also, this is
> the last time I will be typing like a kid. Discovered I have carpel tunnel
> yada, so will be going into afflicted cel fon txt mod.
>
> Luv U al!
> nb

Interesting. What type of restaurant, nonbob?
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-27, Jean B. > wrote:

> nonbob?

ewww!.... thas harsh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Congrats! I would love to be doing the same. I was just in the process of
opening a commercial kitchen to rent out to caterers and to use as a cooking
school, when Rich found this new job and we had to move here from California.
Keep us posted on what it is like.

What restaurant is it and where?

J.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:47:29 -0400, notbob wrote
(in article >):

> Where to start? OK, I've just taken a job at a restaurant. I've talked the
> talk and now need to walk... yada. Despite being in a cooking school 35+
> yrs ago, I decided then cooking was not a prof I wanted to persue. Now,
> things are diff. In this area, cooking is a job to be counted on. So....
>
> Started about 10 days ago, as a dishwasher. Jes got promoted to prep cook
> yesterday. I see things that are an eye opener. Some good, some not so. A
> pretty good restaurant, but.....
>
> I will be reporting on the life and times of a geezer foodie taking up the
> career of an aspiring cook-to-be. Should be interesting. Also, this is
> the last time I will be typing like a kid. Discovered I have carpel tunnel
> yada, so will be going into afflicted cel fon txt mod.
>
> Luv U al!
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Where to start? OK, I've just taken a job at a restaurant. I've talked
> the
> talk and now need to walk... yada. Despite being in a cooking school 35+
> yrs ago, I decided then cooking was not a prof I wanted to persue. Now,
> things are diff. In this area, cooking is a job to be counted on. So....
>
> Started about 10 days ago, as a dishwasher. Jes got promoted to prep cook
> yesterday. I see things that are an eye opener. Some good, some not so.
> pretty good restaurant, but.....
>
> I will be reporting on the life and times of a geezer foodie taking up the
> career of an aspiring cook-to-be. Should be interesting. Also, this is
> the last time I will be typing like a kid. Discovered I have carpel
> tunnel
> yada, so will be going into afflicted cel fon txt mod.
>
> Luv U al!
> nb

Sounds interesting. Good luck with the future career.

Have you watched Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares? Have you found stories
like that yet?
Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-27, Janis > wrote:

> What restaurant is it and where?

c'mon.... culdt brng the drt if I named the plot!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-08-27, Janis > wrote:
>
>> What restaurant is it and where?

> c'mon.... culdt brng the drt if I named the plot!

Please note that when I was playing around in chat last night wth txtng
shrthnd i wsnt mkng fn of u. Ws jst play.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 11:12*am, Janis > wrote:
> Congrats! *I would love to be doing the same. *I was just in the process of
> opening a commercial kitchen to rent out to caterers and to use as a cooking
> school, when Rich found this new job and we had to move here from California.
> *Keep us posted on what it is like.
>
> What restaurant is it and where?
>
> J.
>
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:47:29 -0400, notbob wrote
> (in article >):
>

> > Where to start? *OK, I've just taken a job at a restaurant. *I've talked the
> > talk and now need to walk... yada. *Despite being in a cooking school 35+
> > yrs ago, I decided then cooking was not a prof I wanted to persue. *Now,
> > things are diff. *In this area, cooking is a job to be counted on. *So....

> > Started about 10 days ago, as a dishwasher. *Jes got promoted to prep cook
> > yesterday. *I see things that are an eye opener. *Some good, some not so. *A
> > pretty good restaurant, but.....

> > I will be reporting on the life and times of a geezer foodie taking up the
> > career of an aspiring cook-to-be. *Should be interesting. *Also, *this is
> > the last time I will be typing like a kid. *Discovered I have carpel tunnel
> > yada, so will be going into afflicted cel fon txt mod. * *

> > Luv U al!
> > nb- Hide quoted text -

Where were you before you moved? I know it would thrive in my area,
and I'm surprised no one has one that I know of. It's really hard to
find a commercial kitchen-I've looked into it a few times myself...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote

> On 2008-08-27, Janis > wrote:
>
>> What restaurant is it and where?

> c'mon.... culdt brng the drt if I named the plot!

I'm really happy to hear about your job/paying hobby/whatever.

And really looking forward to updates, if you feel up to it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2008-08-27, Janis > wrote:
>
>> What restaurant is it and where?

> c'mon.... culdt brng the drt if I named the plot!
>
> nb

<on the edge of my seat> I can not wait to hear more.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> supsdly, best in twn, but......
>
> I c grt ingreds used 4 fst fd tchnqs. lota saute (sklt) dshes, both ital nd
> orintl. otoh, bacn wrp sea sclps, huge scampi plates, ny stks, etc. lota
> grt meals, but room 4 improv. $6k wrth of sprsso eqpt, but no clue of how
> to use. the eggs beny with holnday mix aproch.

Count me as one who would be interested in your descriptions of your
adventures at your new job but who isn't so interested as to make it
worth my while to decode the above into English. I'm not singling you
out. I don't read anyone who doesn't put an effort into using standard
punctuation, capitals/lower case, spelling. I'm not talking about the
occasional misspelling. I do that too. But when the typing approaches
unreadable, I don't have the time to figure out what's meant.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> notbob wrote:
>> supsdly, best in twn, but......
>>
>> I c grt ingreds used 4 fst fd tchnqs. lota saute (sklt) dshes, both ital
>> nd
>> orintl. otoh, bacn wrp sea sclps, huge scampi plates, ny stks, etc.
>> lota
>> grt meals, but room 4 improv. $6k wrth of sprsso eqpt, but no clue of
>> how
>> to use. the eggs beny with holnday mix aproch.

> Count me as one who would be interested in your descriptions of your
> adventures at your new job but who isn't so interested as to make it worth
> my while to decode the above into English. I'm not singling you out. I
> don't read anyone who doesn't put an effort into using standard
> punctuation, capitals/lower case, spelling. I'm not talking about the
> occasional misspelling. I do that too. But when the typing approaches
> unreadable, I don't have the time to figure out what's meant.
>

> --Lia

I didn't have any problem reading it.

Ms P <----- hs grnds tht txt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:47:29 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Discovered I have carpel tunnel
>yada, so will be going

Good luck...that will be a real asset in the restaurant business.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:02:13 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I c grt ingreds used 4 fst fd tchnqs. lota saute (sklt) dshes, both ital nd
>orintl. otoh, bacn wrp sea sclps, huge scampi plates, ny stks, etc. lota
>grt meals, but room 4 improv. $6k wrth of sprsso eqpt, but no clue of how
>to use. the eggs beny with holnday mix aproch.

You English will have to improve....don't do ebonics here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 10:47*am, notbob > wrote:
> Where to start? *OK, I've just taken a job at a restaurant. *I've talked the
> talk and now need to walk... yada. *Despite being in a cooking school 35+
> yrs ago, I decided then cooking was not a prof I wanted to persue. *Now,
> things are diff. *In this area, cooking is a job to be counted on. *So....
>
> Started about 10 days ago, as a dishwasher. *Jes got promoted to prep cook
> yesterday. *I see things that are an eye opener. *Some good, some not so. *A
> pretty good restaurant, but.....
>
> I will be reporting on the life and times of a geezer foodie taking up the
> career of an aspiring cook-to-be. *Should be interesting. *Also, *this is
> the last time I will be typing like a kid. *Discovered I have carpel tunnel
> yada, so will be going into afflicted cel fon txt mod. * *
>
> Luv U al!
> nb

So, will you be prepping or working on the line? You will see all
kinds of shit you will wish you had missed. It also changes your
perspective on restaurants- you'll want to stay home! It's not all
bad, but I guess it depends on the place. I think it's a good
experience!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-27, Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Please note that when I was playing around in chat last night wth txtng
> shrthnd i wsnt mkng fn of u. Ws jst play.

and u r?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-27, Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> out. I don't read anyone who doesn't put an effort into using standard
> punctuation, capitals/lower case, spelling.

if u look at my past posts, u'll c I hav alwys taken grt care 2 b grmatcly
crrct. I've recently *** to the conclusn the pain in my rt arm is carpl tunl.
Srry if my new styl inconveniences u.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-27, Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote:

> You English will have to improve....don't do ebonics here.

Suck it!

didja get that?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-27, merryb > wrote:

> bad, but I guess it depends on the place. I think it's a good
> experience!

provides $$$, 2

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-27, Michael "Dog3" > wrote:

> culinary school. I suppose congrats are in order... aren't they? I'll
> be looking forward to your tales from within

thnx D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-08-27, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> Please note that when I was playing around in chat last night wth txtng
>> shrthnd i wsnt mkng fn of u. Ws jst play.

> and u r?

Blinky the Shark. Here and in chat.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2008-08-27, Jean B. > wrote:
>
>> nonbob?

> ewww!.... thas harsh

Er, first I called you Bob--caught that and didn't catch this.
Sorry. :-(

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

> On 2008-08-27, Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> Inquiring minds need to know, what kind of joint?

> Shel..
>
> supsdly, best in twn, but......
>
> I c grt ingreds used 4 fst fd tchnqs. lota saute (sklt) dshes, both ital nd
> orintl. otoh, bacn wrp sea sclps, huge scampi plates, ny stks, etc. lota
> grt meals, but room 4 improv. $6k wrth of sprsso eqpt, but no clue of how
> to use. the eggs beny with holnday mix aproch.

I'll miss you, nb. But I will not read posts like this. I've
actually killfiled a girl at work because she writes email like
this.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

> Where to start? OK, I've just taken a job at a restaurant.

Se habla espanol?

Most kitchens around here you wouldn't survive unless you spoke
Mexican.

Gringo.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote
>> to use. the eggs beny with holnday mix aproch.

> I'll miss you, nb. But I will not read posts like this. I've
> actually killfiled a girl at work because she writes email like
> this.

This would be the height of hypocrisy for you, Wertz. He's drunk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > fnord news:g94sub$n2l$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>>> to use. the eggs beny with holnday mix aproch.

>> I'll miss you, nb. But I will not read posts like this. I've
>> actually killfiled a girl at work because she writes email like
>> this.
>>

> This would be the height of hypocrisy for you, Wertz. He's drunk.

I think it's actually carpal tunnel (as explained upthread) but thanks
for playing anyhow.

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>>> to use. the eggs beny with holnday mix aproch.

>> I'll miss you, nb. But I will not read posts like this. I've
>> actually killfiled a girl at work because she writes email like
>> this.
>>

> This would be the height of hypocrisy for you, Wertz. He's drunk.

You're entitled to your opinions. Even if they're wrong.

He sure did get pretty drunk the in span of 14 minutes. I'll have
what he's having.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:00:03 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2008-08-27, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>
>> out. I don't read anyone who doesn't put an effort into using standard
>> punctuation, capitals/lower case, spelling.

>if u look at my past posts, u'll c I hav alwys taken grt care 2 b grmatcly
>crrct. I've recently *** to the conclusn the pain in my rt arm is carpl tunl.
>Srry if my new styl inconveniences u.
>
>nb

You can still type legibly - just do it slower! I'm afraid I couldn't
decipher that gibberish at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

> You can still type legibly - just do it slower! I'm afraid I couldn't
> decipher that gibberish at all.

I've never understood the people who defend typing illegibly on the
basis of a medical excuse. Illegible typing doesn't inconvience me or
anyone else. We just choose not to read those posts. I don't even open
those posts. When someone has a track record of typing all in caps or
all in lower case or something else that's too hard to read, I just
killfile them. That means you've got someone with carpal tunnel (or
whatever) taking the time and trouble to type posts that no one is
bothering to decipher. What's the point?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-28, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Most kitchens around here you wouldn't survive unless you spoke
> Mexican.

The area I live in is so white..... wow, no cliche joke for that one.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-28, Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> basis of a medical excuse. Illegible typing doesn't inconvience me or
> anyone else. We just choose not to read those posts.

Turns out I don't really have carpel tunnel. It's something else. So, I'll
be typing as best I can. OTOH, since several of you are above being
bothered by someone with an physical affliction that inconveniences you,
please continue to ignore me. You'll not be missed.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:00:03 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2008-08-27, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>>
>>> out. I don't read anyone who doesn't put an effort into using standard
>>> punctuation, capitals/lower case, spelling.

>>if u look at my past posts, u'll c I hav alwys taken grt care 2 b grmatcly
>>crrct. I've recently *** to the conclusn the pain in my rt arm is carpl
>>tunl.
>>Srry if my new styl inconveniences u.
>>
>>nb

> You can still type legibly - just do it slower! I'm afraid I couldn't
> decipher that gibberish at all.

It isn't gibberish! Want me to translate?

He said "If you look at my past posts, you'll see I have always taken great
care to be grammatically correct. I've recently come to the conclusion the
pain in my right arm is carpal tunnel. Sorry if my new style inconveniences
you."

Find a kid to text you on a regular basis and you'll pick it up in no time!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote

> Turns out I don't really have carpel tunnel. It's something else. So,
> I'll
> be typing as best I can. OTOH, since several of you are above being
> bothered by someone with an physical affliction that inconveniences you,
> please continue to ignore me. You'll not be missed.

notbob, is it affecting your hands and 'like' carpal tunnel but numb along
thumb and palm below it with possibly first 2 fingers affected on the
underside and sides? My be affecting just one hand and not the other or
could be both? On onset shoulder pain and elbow then after much time,
mostly wrist and elbow with pervasive numbness?

Describe it please. I think I know what it is and you need a spinal MRI of
the neck and down to mid-shoulders to ID it. It's very very easy to
mis-diagnose because the symptoms mimic other nerve compression problems.
Ruling out carpal tunnel is not a bad idea as it's more common.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms P" wrote

>>>if u look at my past posts, u'll c I hav alwys taken grt care 2 b
>>>grmatcly
>>>crrct. I've recently *** to the conclusn the pain in my rt arm is carpl
>>>tunl.

> He said "If you look at my past posts, you'll see I have always taken
> great care to be grammatically correct. I've recently come to the
> conclusion the pain in my right arm is carpal tunnel. Sorry if my new
> style inconveniences you."

Snicker yes, and sudden onset of carpal tunnel isnt how it works. There are
other things with rapid onset (treatable, not talking cancer etc) that can
be percieved by many as carpal tunnel. I was treated for carpal tunnel and
tested several times (no surgery). It was not carpal tunnel at all. Sadly
it took them 6 years to get me to a spinal doc who tagged it from the
symptoms before the MRI was even back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Where to start? OK, I've just taken a job at a restaurant. I've
> talked the
> talk and now need to walk... yada. Despite being in a cooking school
> 35+
> yrs ago, I decided then cooking was not a prof I wanted to persue.
> Now,
> things are diff. In this area, cooking is a job to be counted on.
> So....
>
> Started about 10 days ago, as a dishwasher. Jes got promoted to prep
> cook
> yesterday.

Congrats, nb!

> I see things that are an eye opener. Some good, some not
> so. A pretty good restaurant, but.....
>
> I will be reporting on the life and times of a geezer foodie taking up
> the
> career of an aspiring cook-to-be. Should be interesting. Also, this
> is
> the last time I will be typing like a kid. Discovered I have carpel
> tunnel yada,

Not such good news.

> so will be going into afflicted cel fon txt mod.

Help us...

> Luv U al!
> nb

Please keep us posted, I'll get my son to translate when necessary.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:36:54 -0400, Julia Altshuler wrote:

> notbob wrote:
>>
>> supsdly, best in twn, but......
>>
>> I c grt ingreds used 4 fst fd tchnqs. lota saute (sklt) dshes, both ital nd
>> orintl. otoh, bacn wrp sea sclps, huge scampi plates, ny stks, etc. lota
>> grt meals, but room 4 improv. $6k wrth of sprsso eqpt, but no clue of how
>> to use. the eggs beny with holnday mix aproch.

> Count me as one who would be interested in your descriptions of your
> adventures at your new job but who isn't so interested as to make it
> worth my while to decode the above into English. I'm not singling you
> out. I don't read anyone who doesn't put an effort into using standard
> punctuation, capitals/lower case, spelling. I'm not talking about the
> occasional misspelling. I do that too. But when the typing approaches
> unreadable, I don't have the time to figure out what's meant.
>

> --Lia

i too was wondering whether there was a txt-to-english translator.

yr pl,
blk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carpal Tunnel? OT

"notbob"

> Turns out I don't really have carpel tunnel. It's something else. So,
> I'll
> be typing as best I can.

I have a bad habit of over deleting by accident so if you reply to me and
dont get an answer, I messed up. My email is not grunged though and if you
want to email me, feel free!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 28 Aug 2008 08:21:51a, notbob told us...

> On 2008-08-28, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>
>> basis of a medical excuse. Illegible typing doesn't inconvience me or
>> anyone else. We just choose not to read those posts.

> Turns out I don't really have carpel tunnel. It's something else. So,
> I'll be typing as best I can. OTOH, since several of you are above
> being bothered by someone with an physical affliction that
> inconveniences you, please continue to ignore me. You'll not be missed.
>
> nb

notbob, it doesn't bother me at all. If I truly don't understand what was
posted, I'll just say so politely or pass it by, but don't worry about it.
I hope whatever is causing you a problem isn't worse than carpel tunnel.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 08(VIII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day