Old 23-08-2009, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Adventures in Cooking with No Teeth . . .

I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
Lynn in Fargo
PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Old 23-08-2009, 03:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 10:04*pm, Lynn from Fargo wrote:
I decided I could eat fish *- at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. *Sauteed it in a mix
of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
on the flip side. *(Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
in the house. *Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
good! *First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
offering! *Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
Lynn in Fargo
PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Mashed potatos & sweet potatoes, of course. Actually there are many
good vegetable purees,like parsnip & rutabaga.

Creamed spinach or corn (homemade of course )

Spoon bread?

I suppose you could cook your macaroni & cheese very mushy?

Happy "gumming",

Kris

Old 23-08-2009, 03:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" wrote in message
I decided I could eat fish -

Where are you teef?

Old 23-08-2009, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:04:43 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
wrote:

I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
Lynn in Fargo
PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Lynn, any of the typical Hungarian/Slovak sides done as
fozolek would work. But, from the South, may I suggest
butter beans? // I make German mashed potatoes, i.e.
boiled potato chunks, tossed in a wok/pot with bacon
drippings, and then with addition of butter and vinegar.
They will disintegrate into mashed potatoes, but not
like we're used to.

Make sure you get the potato toasties off the side of the
pan, as there is so much flavor there. Use lots of parsley,
and don't stint on garlic.

Alex
Old 23-08-2009, 04:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-23, Lynn from Fargo wrote:

PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

squash, mashed potatoes, lemon meringue pie......

nb

Old 23-08-2009, 05:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

My first thought was squash, but it seems like practically everything
will be ok if it's cooked - even carrots! Items that are too much
work to eat with no teeth can certainly be pureed. This is a great
excuse to make applesauce too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 23-08-2009, 08:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" ha scritto nel messaggio

I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed.

Congratulations! Really, fish should never need real chewing unless we
speak of broiled swordfish steaks or the like.
Most veg are gummable if over cooked, but eggplant is one of the few that
actually needs to be cooked that long. Dredge slices of it in flour,
eggwash and seasoned flour, then saute in good olive oil until browned and
soft. Doesn't need another thing, but some would grate a bit of hard cheese
over the top.
Hummous, dried fava puree, anything puree in fact, softly fried onions, all
sound good to me... and then there is stuffing. Stuffing is consolation for
a lot in life.

Old 23-08-2009, 10:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn wrote:

PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

After sending my previous reply in this thread, I got to thinking about
avocados. They're soft enough to eat without even being mashed, so they're
fair game for the dentally deprived. My first thought was that you could
make a kind of hors d'ouevre with a round of boiled potato topped with a
piece of avocado. The potato could be seasoned with Old Bay, curry, or some
similar spice mixture, or it could be just left alone, or maybe drizzled
with a touch of top-quality olive oil.

Then I started thinking about avocado mousse. Specifically, I wondered if
there *was* such a thing. Googling found both sweet and savory versions, but
the sweet ones seemed kind of unappealing to me. A recipe for crab cakes
with avocado mousse seemed like a pretty good concept, but maybe not soft
enough.

But what about chawanmushi? Chawanmushi is the Japanese version of a quiche.
Where quiches are formed by baking a mixture of eggs and dairy (milk and/or
cream, and usually cheese as well), chawanmushi uses a mixture of eggs and
broth. Chawanmushi are steamed rather than baked, and are softer and more
delicate than quiches.

So maybe a chawanmushi with dashi and salmon, topped with avocado mousse?
The topping could optionally be hit with a flame, to give the topping a kind
of meringue quality.

I also wanted to get cream cheese and avocado together somehow, so I started
considering the idea of a savory avocado cheesecake. Turned out that recipes
exist online for that, too, and it's more than possible that at least one of
them would be suitable for a no-teeth appetizer (or party dish).

Bob, advocating avocado

Old 23-08-2009, 10:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Lynn from Fargo wrote:

I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I
bought some (IQF) Orange Roughy fillets, thawed one, sprinkled it with
lemon pepper and (lightly) dredged it in flour. Sauteed it in a mix
of a bit of butter and a bit of olive oil 3 minutes one one side, two
on the flip side. (Couldn't make a pan sauce - no wine or even juice
in the house. Squeezed a chunk of fresh lime over it. It was really
good! First time in my life i didn't turn fish into a burnt
offering! Next trip to the store I'll get some wine - a bottle of
red, a bottle of white and a bottle of sherry. Last bottle of sherry
lasted several months (I can't drink wine but I can cook with it!)
Lynn in Fargo
PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Steamed carrots
Steamed potatoes
Steamed cabbage
Avocados
Steamed yams/sweet potatoes
Well cooked onions
Steamed Tarot

To name a few. :-)

Any well cooked soft veggie should be ok.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 23-08-2009, 10:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Kris wrote:

[...]

Creamed corn. I'd not thought of that one...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 23-08-2009, 10:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

Steamed Tarot

I'm almost certain you mean "taro."

"Last night I played poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and three
people died."
---Stephen Wright

Bob

Old 23-08-2009, 11:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:

Om wrote:

Steamed Tarot

I'm almost certain you mean "taro."

"Last night I played poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and three
people died."
---Stephen Wright

Bob

Oops! ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Old 23-08-2009, 12:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Rice of any kind
Kasha of any kind (and, BTW, "kasha" does not mean "buckwheat
groats"; kasha is a dish, not an arbitrary ingredient)
Pasta of any kind (perhaps cooked softer than _al dente_)
Purée of celery root "as is", or mixed with mashed potatoes or with
parsley
Potato dumplings
Bread dumplings
Semolina or farina (Cream of Wheat) dumplings
Yeast dumplings
Pease pudding
Poor Man's Caviar
Frijoles refritos or some other bean preparation
Some mild-tasting dal or some other lentil preparation
Mashed potato rissoles with a suitable filling and/or sauce

Victor
Old 23-08-2009, 04:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" wrote

I decided I could eat fish - at least I could if it was sauteed. So I

Good choice and a decent method! Been a bit away from here lately so I'll
have to guess you are pending full dentures and looking for foods that work
for now until it's healed enough?

PS: Suggestions for (no-teeth) side dishes esp. veggies?

Yes but I have to guess at what will appeal to you. Some isn't optimal made
this way but for now, will work well enough. I mean, ya gotta eat!

Cream of corn will work and can be spiffied up with fine chopped clam meats
(mince small).
Canned baby peas with butter and finely minced onions, can make a white
sauce with them if desired.
Squash (yellow works best) simmered to soft with minced onion bits
Canned asparagus tips (soft and lucious)
sticky rice (regular american long grain may be a slight problem)
Mashed potatoes with gravy are obvious
Baked sweet potato or white (I use a crockpot and steam these all the time,
wash but dont dry and add 3 TB water or so and set on low).
Butter beans (large dry limas) made with smoked ham hock (mince ham hock
bits to what you can handle)- crockpot favorite
Carrots simmered with butter then put in blender with heavy non-sweet cream
to make a soup

That help?