Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Nice potato side dish

This recipe was modified from Yankee Magazine.
It's delicious.

Shredded Potato-Onion Cake

olive oil or butter or a combination
1 sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced (original called for
2 small leeks, white, cut in half and thinly sliced
kosher or sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
4-5 cups frozen hash browns (original called for freshly grated
potatoes, well dried)
3/4 cup grated swiss cheese or
combination of jack and Parmesan

Original calls for a cast-iron skillet but I successfully used a
metal-handled Calphalon one.

In a medium skillet, saute onions in butter until translucent and soft.
Pour onto a plate and set aside. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and
pepper. Press half of the potatoes into the hot, buttered pan about
1 1/2 inch deep, and set over medium heat until the bottom is browned
and the potatoes are warmed through. Spread all the cooked onions and
half the cheese over the potatoes, repeat with another layer of potatoes
and cheese.

Place in a hot over (400 deg.) and bake until heated through and
the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Cut into wedges and serve warm.

We had it last night with grilled salmon and salad.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 12:50:11p, Gloria P told us...

> This recipe was modified from Yankee Magazine.
> It's delicious.
>
> Shredded Potato-Onion Cake
>
> olive oil or butter or a combination
> 1 sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced (original called for
> 2 small leeks, white, cut in half and thinly sliced
> kosher or sea salt
> freshly ground black pepper
> 4-5 cups frozen hash browns (original called for freshly grated
> potatoes, well dried)
> 3/4 cup grated swiss cheese or
> combination of jack and Parmesan
>

> Original calls for a cast-iron skillet but I successfully used a
> metal-handled Calphalon one.
>
> In a medium skillet, saute onions in butter until translucent and soft.
> Pour onto a plate and set aside. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and
> pepper. Press half of the potatoes into the hot, buttered pan about
> 1 1/2 inch deep, and set over medium heat until the bottom is browned
> and the potatoes are warmed through. Spread all the cooked onions and
> half the cheese over the potatoes, repeat with another layer of potatoes
> and cheese.
>
> Place in a hot over (400 deg.) and bake until heated through and
> the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Cut into wedges and serve

warm.

> We had it last night with grilled salmon and salad.
>
> gloria p

That does sound really good, Gloria!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
6dys 6hrs 13mins
Never use a preposition to end a
sentence with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nice potato side dish

Gloria P wrote:

> In a medium skillet, saute onions in butter until translucent and
> soft. Pour onto a plate and set aside. Sprinkle the potatoes with
> salt and pepper. Press half of the potatoes into the hot, buttered
> pan about 1 1/2 inch deep, and set over medium heat until the bottom
> is browned and the potatoes are warmed through. Spread all the cooked
> onions and
> half the cheese over the potatoes, repeat with another layer of
> potatoes and cheese.
>
> Place in a hot over (400 deg.) and bake until heated through and
> the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Cut into wedges and serve
> warm.

Very similar to tartiflette, where the cheese is reblochon. It makes a
wonderful match with oaked red wines, a syrah would fit perfectly with the
pepper.

> We had it last night with grilled salmon and salad.

With wine? Beer?
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
>
>> In a medium skillet, saute onions in butter until translucent and
>> soft. Pour onto a plate and set aside. Sprinkle the potatoes with
>> salt and pepper. Press half of the potatoes into the hot, buttered
>> pan about 1 1/2 inch deep, and set over medium heat until the bottom
>> is browned and the potatoes are warmed through. Spread all the cooked
>> onions and
>> half the cheese over the potatoes, repeat with another layer of
>> potatoes and cheese.
>>
>> Place in a hot over (400 deg.) and bake until heated through and
>> the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Cut into wedges and serve
>> warm.

> Very similar to tartiflette, where the cheese is reblochon. It makes a
> wonderful match with oaked red wines, a syrah would fit perfectly with the
> pepper.
>
>> We had it last night with grilled salmon and salad.

> With wine? Beer?

A zinfandel.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

>> With wine? Beer?

> A zinfandel.

Very good choice

Side dish Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 5 04-09-2011 10:07 AM
Dinner last night: Pork Tenderloin and a sweet potato/apple/greens side dish TammyM General Cooking 12 12-09-2008 03:46 PM
Looking for a new side dish? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 0 09-04-2008 12:47 PM
Warm Beetroot And Potato Side Dish Di Brookman Recipes (moderated) 0 08-10-2006 06:18 PM
Bbq side dish [email protected] Barbecue 6 25-02-2006 04:27 PM