Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beets

Beet narrative <g>, with a couple of beet questions.

Last night in chat, I mentioned that I didn't think I'd ever had beets
except for pickled ones in a green salad. Christine demanded <g> that if
I were to get some, I had to get them at a farmer's market, and since I
said I didn't have one real near, she linked me to a California farmer's
market site that located one six miles from me (in Burbank CA). Thanks
again for that, CD.

Damnably, I woke up at about seven this morning and couldn't go back to
sleep, so I ended up at the farmer's market at eight. I don't do
mornings, so I was a little grumpy. Still, I don't remember biting
anyone.

I got one bunch of beets for a dollar. I don't know if they're good beets
or bad beets or average beets. You tell me. There were two vendors with
beets, and they all looked about the same.

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/beets1.jpg

Anyway, I also got a couple beef tamales to take home and nuke for
breakfast. Without those, my gasoline consumption for going to the
farmer's market would have cost more than what I bought there.

This afternoon, while the beets were boiling and I was cleaning the
kitchen I steamed the leaves and ate them with some butter and pepper.
They were quite tasty. Does anybody use vinegar on them, as one might
with cooked spinach? The stems are in the fridge, waiting to be
salad. The roots wil be reheated with dinner, tonight.

Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
roots.)

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-08-02, Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> They were quite tasty. Does anybody use vinegar on them, as one might
> with cooked spinach?

Louisiana-style hot sauce.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-08-02, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> They were quite tasty. Does anybody use vinegar on them, as one might
>> with cooked spinach?

> Louisiana-style hot sauce.

Hmmmmmm. I'll try to remember that.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:51:10 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
>bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
>root.

Next time, roast them.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:51:10 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>>
>>Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
>>bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
>>root.

> Next time, roast them.

You mentioned that last night. Does this have something to do with my
question as to why the above was recommended for boiling them?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Beet narrative <g>, with a couple of beet questions.
>
> Last night in chat, I mentioned that I didn't think I'd ever had beets
> except for pickled ones in a green salad. Christine demanded <g> that if
> I were to get some, I had to get them at a farmer's market, and since I
> said I didn't have one real near, she linked me to a California farmer's
> market site that located one six miles from me (in Burbank CA). Thanks
> again for that, CD.
>
> Damnably, I woke up at about seven this morning and couldn't go back to
> sleep, so I ended up at the farmer's market at eight. I don't do
> mornings, so I was a little grumpy. Still, I don't remember biting
> anyone.
>
> I got one bunch of beets for a dollar. I don't know if they're good beets
> or bad beets or average beets. You tell me. There were two vendors with
> beets, and they all looked about the same.
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/beets1.jpg
>
> Anyway, I also got a couple beef tamales to take home and nuke for
> breakfast. Without those, my gasoline consumption for going to the
> farmer's market would have cost more than what I bought there.
>
> This afternoon, while the beets were boiling and I was cleaning the
> kitchen I steamed the leaves and ate them with some butter and pepper.
> They were quite tasty. Does anybody use vinegar on them, as one might
> with cooked spinach? The stems are in the fridge, waiting to be
> salad. The roots wil be reheated with dinner, tonight.
>
> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
> roots.)

Keeps them from bleeding red beet juice all over the place. It's okay to
remove all that once they're cooked. Some people like them roasted, say
it gives them a deeper flavor, we've never done them that way but next
time might try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
> roots.)

It's so they don't bleed into the water. Those look like some good
beets, and I hope you enjoyed them!

Me, I'd have roasted the little darlings whole (peeled), with a little
olive oil, some coarse salt and black pepper. Yuuuum.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 2, 4:51*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> Beet narrative <g>, with a couple of beet questions.
>
> This afternoon, while the beets were boiling ....

I'm with those who prefer to roast them -- it concentrates the flavor.

> and I was cleaning the
> kitchen I steamed the leaves and ate them with some butter and pepper.
> They were quite tasty. *Does anybody use vinegar on them, as one might
> with cooked spinach?

Beet greens can be stirfried as well as steamed. Treat 'em like any
mild green or Swiss chard or spinach. Vinegar (or vinaigrette) works,
so does ginger, salt and sugar, so does butter.

> Questions: *The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
> bit more of stems on the roots ....

They tell you to leave the root tail and some stem just to keep you
from mistakenly cutting into the root itself, which will cause beet
juice to bleed all over places you don't want it. As long as the root
stays uncut and unpunctured the juice won't escape. Then the peel
removes easily when cooked. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 00:01:26 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2008-08-02, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> They were quite tasty. Does anybody use vinegar on them, as one might
>> with cooked spinach?

>Louisiana-style hot sauce.
>
>nb

Good call. Also Trappey's peppers in vinegar -- just the juice
dribbled on the greens.

--
modom

I have long maintained that Texans are not easy to love: we are, like anchovies, an acquired taste.
-- Molly Ivins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:

> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
>> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
>> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
>> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
>> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
>> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
>> roots.)

> It's so they don't bleed into the water. Those look like some good
> beets, and I hope you enjoyed them!

Thanks, and thanks to George, surely, for the non-bleed answers.

As for quality, what does one look for, Miche?

As for eatin', I did enjoy the greens I snacked on while cooking and
cleaning, and as I type I'm eating the chilled stems with olive oil and
lemon juice and pepper -- with a steak. Reheating the roots will have to
wait until dinner, tomorrow.

> Me, I'd have roasted the little darlings whole (peeled), with a little
> olive oil, some coarse salt and black pepper. Yuuuum.

Roasting's winning by a hair, here in the group, so far.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
> roots.)

Eeew.

Supposed to keep the color from bleeding so much. A woman I know who
actually eats them -- shudder -- says that you trim that stem bit at the
root to lessen the boiled dirt flavor. Personally, I don't think it's
true; they're disgusting and are beyond improvement .
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Beet narrative <g>, with a couple of beet questions.
>
> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
> roots.)

You leave some of the stem and the root attached so the beets don't
bleed off so much of their liquid while cooking.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
>> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
>> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
>> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
>> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
>> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
>> roots.)

> Eeew.
>
> Supposed to keep the color from bleeding so much. A woman I know who
> actually eats them -- shudder -- says that you trim that stem bit at the
> root to lessen the boiled dirt flavor. Personally, I don't think it's
> true; they're disgusting and are beyond improvement .

These didn't taste dirty at all. They just tasted beety.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Miche wrote:
>
> > In article .net>,
> > Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> >
> >> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
> >> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
> >> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
> >> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
> >> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
> >> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
> >> roots.)

> > It's so they don't bleed into the water. Those look like some good
> > beets, and I hope you enjoyed them!

> Thanks, and thanks to George, surely, for the non-bleed answers.
>
> As for quality, what does one look for, Miche?

Nice round even shape, deep colour, no obvious blemishes or damage.

> As for eatin', I did enjoy the greens I snacked on while cooking and
> cleaning, and as I type I'm eating the chilled stems with olive oil and
> lemon juice and pepper -- with a steak. Reheating the roots will have to
> wait until dinner, tomorrow.
>
> > Me, I'd have roasted the little darlings whole (peeled), with a little
> > olive oil, some coarse salt and black pepper. Yuuuum.

> Roasting's winning by a hair, here in the group, so far.

And for good reason. Seriously, you'll never boil beets again.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:

> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> Miche wrote:

>> > It's so they don't bleed into the water. Those look like some good
>> > beets, and I hope you enjoyed them!

>> Thanks, and thanks to George, surely, for the non-bleed answers.
>>
>> As for quality, what does one look for, Miche?

> Nice round even shape, deep colour, no obvious blemishes or damage.

One of 'em wasn't very round; it looked it once was but then someone very
heavy sat on it. But even that one showed no actual damage.

>> As for eatin', I did enjoy the greens I snacked on while cooking and
>> cleaning, and as I type I'm eating the chilled stems with olive oil and
>> lemon juice and pepper -- with a steak. Reheating the roots will have
>> to wait until dinner, tomorrow.
>>
>> > Me, I'd have roasted the little darlings whole (peeled), with a
>> > little olive oil, some coarse salt and black pepper. Yuuuum.

>> Roasting's winning by a hair, here in the group, so far.

> And for good reason. Seriously, you'll never boil beets again.

We'll see. Thanks, again.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote in
news

> Beet narrative <g>, with a couple of beet questions.
>
> Last night in chat, I mentioned that I didn't think I'd ever
> had beets except for pickled ones in a green salad. Christine
> demanded <g> that if I were to get some, I had to get them at
> a farmer's market, and since I said I didn't have one real
> near, she linked me to a California farmer's market site that
> located one six miles from me (in Burbank CA). Thanks again
> for that, CD.
>
> Damnably, I woke up at about seven this morning and couldn't
> eight. I don't do mornings, so I was a little grumpy. Still,
> I don't remember biting anyone.
>
> I got one bunch of beets for a dollar. I don't know if
> they're good beets or bad beets or average beets. You tell
> me. There were two vendors with beets, and they all looked
> about the same.
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/beets1.jpg
>
> Anyway, I also got a couple beef tamales to take home and nuke
> for breakfast. Without those, my gasoline consumption for
> going to the farmer's market would have cost more than what I
> bought there.
>
> This afternoon, while the beets were boiling and I was
> cleaning the kitchen I steamed the leaves and ate them with
> some butter and pepper. They were quite tasty. Does anybody
> use vinegar on them, as one might with cooked spinach? The
> stems are in the fridge, waiting to be salad. The roots wil
> be reheated with dinner, tonight.
>
> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an
> inch or a bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well
> as the tail of the root. The tail fell off when I was sliding
> the root's peel off (came right off; they were done), so that
> was kind of moot; but why the instruction to leave attached
> the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up cutting off the cooked
> stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the roots.)

Cleaned mine like I would a fresh from the dirt
carrot. Then chopped in slices.
Boiled in water with a bit of vinegar for about 15+ min.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:51:10 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>This afternoon, while the beets were boiling and I was cleaning the
>kitchen I steamed the leaves and ate them with some butter and pepper.
>They were quite tasty. Does anybody use vinegar on them, as one might
>with cooked spinach?

I do! It's home made sweet & sour vinegar...

>The stems are in the fridge, waiting to be
>salad. The roots wil be reheated with dinner, tonight.
>
>Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
>bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
>root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
>right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
>instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster?

I have no idea - other than presentation....

> (I ended up
>cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
>roots.)

Glad you enjoyed them! The picture was of immature beets, which is
the best kind if you're into beet molestation.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:

> Blinky the Shark > wrote in
> news >
>>
>> Beet narrative <g>, with a couple of beet questions.
>>
>> Last night in chat, I mentioned that I didn't think I'd ever
>> had beets except for pickled ones in a green salad. Christine
>> demanded <g> that if I were to get some, I had to get them at
>> a farmer's market, and since I said I didn't have one real
>> near, she linked me to a California farmer's market site that
>> located one six miles from me (in Burbank CA). Thanks again
>> for that, CD.
>>
>> Damnably, I woke up at about seven this morning and couldn't
>> eight. I don't do mornings, so I was a little grumpy. Still,
>> I don't remember biting anyone.
>>
>> I got one bunch of beets for a dollar. I don't know if
>> they're good beets or bad beets or average beets. You tell
>> me. There were two vendors with beets, and they all looked
>> about the same.
>>
>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/beets1.jpg
>>
>> Anyway, I also got a couple beef tamales to take home and nuke
>> for breakfast. Without those, my gasoline consumption for
>> going to the farmer's market would have cost more than what I
>> bought there.
>>
>> This afternoon, while the beets were boiling and I was
>> cleaning the kitchen I steamed the leaves and ate them with
>> some butter and pepper. They were quite tasty. Does anybody
>> use vinegar on them, as one might with cooked spinach? The
>> stems are in the fridge, waiting to be salad. The roots wil
>> be reheated with dinner, tonight.
>>
>> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an
>> inch or a bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well
>> as the tail of the root. The tail fell off when I was sliding
>> the root's peel off (came right off; they were done), so that
>> was kind of moot; but why the instruction to leave attached
>> the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up cutting off the cooked
>> stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the roots.)

> Cleaned mine like I would a fresh from the dirt

I cleaned the heck out of mine, too.

> carrot. Then chopped in slices.

I usually slice or chunk vegetables like this, myself. But since this was
my first time for beets, I followed a page that said to boil them whole.

> Boiled in water with a bit of vinegar for about 15+ min.

I did these whole ones for a fat half hour (they were whole, remember).
The guide I was using said "you can't overcook a beet", but I didn't want
to try to prove or disprove that.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:51:10 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>This afternoon, while the beets were boiling and I was cleaning the
>>kitchen I steamed the leaves and ate them with some butter and pepper.
>>They were quite tasty. Does anybody use vinegar on them, as one might
>>with cooked spinach?

> I do! It's home made sweet & sour vinegar...

Ahah. Thanks. Might try that next time.

>>The stems are in the fridge, waiting to be
>>salad. The roots wil be reheated with dinner, tonight.
>>
>>Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
>>bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
>>root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
>>right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
>>instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster?

> I have no idea - other than presentation....
>
>> (I ended up
>>cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
>>roots.)

> Glad you enjoyed them! The picture was of immature beets, which is
> the best kind if you're into beet molestation.

So I should stick with ones that size, then, as a general rule? (Assuming
you're going by size, and not some other criterion.) The other vendor's
were a bit larger, but not twice the size -- but were twice the price, so
that didn't seem like a deal.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky wrote:

> The other vendor's were a bit larger, but not twice the size -- but were
> twice the price, so that didn't seem like a deal.

"Size" can be a bit misleading. If a sphere has a radius of x inches, then a
sphere with twice its volume will have a radius of about (1.26 * x) inches.
You'd hardly expect a 26% increase in radius to double the volume, would
you? But that's what happens.

It's easier just to go by weight: If the other vendor's beets weighed twice
as much, then it was appropriate to charge twice as much.

Smaller beets tend to be me more tender, cook more quickly, and have at
least as good a flavor, so the smaller beets were probably the better choice
even if they cost a bit more -- and since they cost LESS, I'd say you were
right to buy the smaller beets.

I'm not as great a fan of roasted beets as the others here. I cook them in a
variety of liquids to add different flavors, e.g., I'll cook beets in orange
juice or vinegar to impart those flavors during cooking rather than adding
them to already-roasted beets. That doesn't mean I *never* roast beets; I
just cook them as my whim dictates.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Blinky wrote:
>
>> The other vendor's were a bit larger, but not twice the size -- but were
>> twice the price, so that didn't seem like a deal.

> "Size" can be a bit misleading. If a sphere has a radius of x inches, then a
> sphere with twice its volume will have a radius of about (1.26 * x) inches.
> You'd hardly expect a 26% increase in radius to double the volume, would
> you? But that's what happens.

Sure. I was good at math. And physics, but never mind. I was estimating
volume.

> Smaller beets tend to be me more tender, cook more quickly, and have at
> least as good a flavor, so the smaller beets were probably the better
> choice even if they cost a bit more -- and since they cost LESS, I'd say
> you were right to buy the smaller beets.

I win! I win! Now, on to the lottery!

Thanks.

> I'm not as great a fan of roasted beets as the others here. I cook them

I rarely use my oven.

> in a variety of liquids to add different flavors, e.g., I'll cook beets
> in orange juice or vinegar to impart those flavors during cooking rather

I saw some recipes that involved orange juice. Not a combination I'd have
thought of on my own.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote in
news
> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
> roots.)

The idea is to keep the outer skin intact. If you expose the interior of
the beet before you boil them they will bleed everywhere. Turning the water
red, possibly staining your pot and staining your hands red while you peel
them. If you leave the outer skin intact you reduce the exposure to the
staining effects of the beet. Next time you go to a farmrt's market pick up
more than 1 thing.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> Blinky the Shark > wrote in
> news >
>> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
>> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
>> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
>> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
>> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
>> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
>> roots.)
>>

> The idea is to keep the outer skin intact. If you expose the interior of
> the beet before you boil them they will bleed everywhere. Turning the water
> red, possibly staining your pot and staining your hands red while you peel
> them. If you leave the outer skin intact you reduce the exposure to the
> staining effects of the beet. Next time you go to a farmrt's market pick up

Gotcha. Thanks.

> more than 1 thing.

That's all that interested me. Well, and LIS, I also got two tamales.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> This afternoon, while the beets were boiling

Wrong move.

> and I was cleaning the
> kitchen I steamed the leaves and ate them with some butter and pepper.
> They were quite tasty. Does anybody use vinegar on them, as one might
> with cooked spinach?

Certainly. They can be prepared any way you would prepare Swiss chard,
to which they are closely related.

> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
> roots.)

Ignore the instructions in their totality. They are given in the futile
hope of avoiding losing all the beet juice (and taste) in the boiling
water. Beets of an average size are to be baked whole, unpeeled, in a
hot oven for about 45 minutes.

Ignore the unspeakable beet addict, Barbabietola Schaller, too.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> This afternoon, while the beets were boiling

> Wrong move.

Beets of an average size are to be baked whole, unpeeled, in a
> hot oven for about 45 minutes.
> Victor

Not in my house in the height of summer. The oven rarely goes on and if it
does it is early early or very late-- both times when I am probably not
going to eat beets. Must grow some, because in the shops you only find them
cooked and shrink wrapped from France.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article .net>,
>> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>>
>>> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
>>> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
>>> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
>>> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
>>> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
>>> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
>>> roots.)

>> Eeew.
>>
>> Supposed to keep the color from bleeding so much. A woman I know who
>> actually eats them -- shudder -- says that you trim that stem bit at the
>> root to lessen the boiled dirt flavor. Personally, I don't think it's
>> true; they're disgusting and are beyond improvement .

> These didn't taste dirty at all. They just tasted beety.

You must realize that Barb suffers from severe beetophobia, a disease
that can only be cured by immersing her in a vat of cooked and cooled
beets until her skin takes on that nice red color. She thinks they taste
like dirt, Bah! Humbug! Beets is good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 23:47:02 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>So I should stick with ones that size, then, as a general rule? (Assuming
>you're going by size, and not some other criterion.) The other vendor's
>were a bit larger, but not twice the size -- but were twice the price, so
>that didn't seem like a deal.

Ouch! I'd stick with what you found. The beet part was the perfect
size for me and the greens looked absolutely fabulous. Next time you
could even chunk up a (cooked) beet or two and mix them in with the
greens.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in
:

> "Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> This afternoon, while the beets were boiling

>> Wrong move.

> Beets of an average size are to be baked whole, unpeeled, in a
>> hot oven for about 45 minutes.
>> Victor

> Not in my house in the height of summer. The oven rarely goes on and
> if it does it is early early or very late-- both times when I am
> probably not going to eat beets. Must grow some, because in the shops
> you only find them cooked and shrink wrapped from France.

microwaves do a quite acceptable job cooking beets.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news

> Beet narrative <g>, with a couple of beet questions.
>
> Last night in chat, I mentioned that I didn't think I'd ever had beets
> except for pickled ones in a green salad. Christine demanded <g> that if
> I were to get some, I had to get them at a farmer's market, and since I
> said I didn't have one real near, she linked me to a California farmer's
> market site that located one six miles from me (in Burbank CA). Thanks
> again for that, CD.
>
> Damnably, I woke up at about seven this morning and couldn't go back to
> sleep, so I ended up at the farmer's market at eight. I don't do
> mornings, so I was a little grumpy. Still, I don't remember biting
> anyone.
>
> I got one bunch of beets for a dollar. I don't know if they're good beets
> or bad beets or average beets. You tell me. There were two vendors with
> beets, and they all looked about the same.
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/beets1.jpg
>
> Anyway, I also got a couple beef tamales to take home and nuke for
> breakfast. Without those, my gasoline consumption for going to the
> farmer's market would have cost more than what I bought there.
>
> This afternoon, while the beets were boiling and I was cleaning the
> kitchen I steamed the leaves and ate them with some butter and pepper.
> They were quite tasty. Does anybody use vinegar on them, as one might
> with cooked spinach? The stems are in the fridge, waiting to be
> salad. The roots wil be reheated with dinner, tonight.
>
> Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
> bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
> root. The tail fell off when I was sliding the root's peel off (came
> right off; they were done), so that was kind of moot; but why the
> instruction to leave attached the inch of stem cluster? (I ended up
> cutting off the cooked stem stubs and eating them while I was peeling the
> roots.)
>

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
> Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

We love beets and I bought 10 cylindrical beets. They are huge.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/images/ca...t/2044_MED.jpg

The reason you leave on top and tail is to stop the beet from bleeding while
cooking. to keep them red.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:51:10 -0700, Blinky the Shark
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>>Questions: The beet page I looked at earlier said to leave an inch or a
>>>bit more of stems on the roots for boiling, as well as the tail of the
>>>root.

>> Next time, roast them.

> You mentioned that last night. Does this have something to do with my
> question as to why the above was recommended for boiling them?
>

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
> Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Roasting heats up the kitchen more, so I boil them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 07:51:20 -0500, George Shirley wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Eeew.
>>>
>>> Supposed to keep the color from bleeding so much. A woman I know who
>>> actually eats them -- shudder -- says that you trim that stem bit at the
>>> root to lessen the boiled dirt flavor. Personally, I don't think it's
>>> true; they're disgusting and are beyond improvement .

>> These didn't taste dirty at all. They just tasted beety.
>>

> You must realize that Barb suffers from severe beetophobia, a disease
> that can only be cured by immersing her in a vat of cooked and cooled
> beets until her skin takes on that nice red color. She thinks they taste
> like dirt, Bah! Humbug! Beets is good.

barb's mom was frightened by a large man in a beet costume when barb was a
mere tartlet in the oven.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

you have to be nuts!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mom peagram wrote:

> We love beets and I bought 10 cylindrical beets. They are huge.
>
> http://www.johnnyseeds.com/images/ca...t/2044_MED.jpg

Never saw that kind.

> The reason you leave on top and tail is to stop the beet from bleeding while
> cooking. to keep them red.

To keep them red. That makes sense. I've had plenty of answers about it
to keep them from "bleeding" into the water (thank you to all), but I
couldn't figure out why red water was such a bad thing. This adds another
benefit.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mom peagram wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> news
>> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:51:10 -0700, Blinky the Shark

>>> Next time, roast them.

>> You mentioned that last night. Does this have something to do with my
>> question as to why the above was recommended for boiling them?
>>

>> --
>> Blinky
>> Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
>> Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

> Roasting heats up the kitchen more, so I boil them.

Aye. I rarely use my oven.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MissButterfly2 wrote:

> you have to be nuts!!!!

No, *you're* the moron using WebTV.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>

>>> Glad you enjoyed them! The picture was of immature beets, which is
>>> the best kind if you're into beet molestation.

>> So I should stick with ones that size, then, as a general rule? (Assuming
>> you're going by size, and not some other criterion.) The other vendor's
>> were a bit larger, but not twice the size -- but were twice the price, so
>> that didn't seem like a deal.
>>

> With beets (as with many other things) bigger is not usually better.

Of course bigger isn't always better. But perhaps even smaller would
be better. I didn't know; that's why I asked. I wasn't only asking about
larger, but the only other option at that market happened to *be* larger,
so that's the example of *other size* that I gave.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 3, 11:02*am, Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Of course bigger isn't always better. *But perhaps even smaller would
> be better. *I didn't know; that's why I asked. *I wasn't only asking about
> larger, but the only other option at that market happened to *be* larger,
> so that's the example of *other size* that I gave.

You're talking about how to pick out beets at the farmers' market,
right? I'd go by the appearance of the greens. Large and small
doesn't matter to cooking and eating the roots, but smaller, younger
greens are noticeably different from older, larger ones. Both good,
but amenable to different cooking especially with regard to the ribs.
So think about what you're going to do with the greens and take
whatever beets come along with that. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:02:40 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Of course bigger isn't always better. But perhaps even smaller would
>be better. I didn't know; that's why I asked. I wasn't only asking about
>larger, but the only other option at that market happened to *be* larger,
>so that's the example of *other size* that I gave.

I've been able to buy beets 1/2 the size you got and loved them. Of
course, if they cost twice as much... I'd stay with option #1. Here's
my best shot. Make friends with the purveyor and you'll be able to
make a request, especially if you pay in advance. They don't care
if they sell smaller beets. Less time in the ground = more crops to
sell.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Blinky wrote:
>
>> The other vendor's were a bit larger, but not twice the size -- but were
>> twice the price, so that didn't seem like a deal.

> "Size" can be a bit misleading. If a sphere has a radius of x inches, then a
> sphere with twice its volume will have a radius of about (1.26 * x) inches.
> You'd hardly expect a 26% increase in radius to double the volume, would
> you? But that's what happens.
>
> It's easier just to go by weight: If the other vendor's beets weighed twice
> as much, then it was appropriate to charge twice as much.

Y'know, the more I think of this, the more I think you're right that they
were at least a quarter larger in diameter, and thus they were both
pricing by approximate weight. Because it's not like those two stalls
were adjacent so that I could take in both displays at a glance. So I'll
bet I wouldn't even have perceived a difference any smaller than than your
example. Also, the only other product for which I noticed prices accross
multiple vendors was strawberries -- and everybody had them at the same
price, $3 per box, $7 for three, without fail. So it's not like the two
beetistas would have been unaware of each other's prices.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:

<snip>

>> > Me, I'd have roasted the little darlings whole (peeled), with a little
>> > olive oil, some coarse salt and black pepper. Yuuuum.

>> Roasting's winning by a hair, here in the group, so far.

> And for good reason. Seriously, you'll never boil beets again.

I wholeheartedly agree with Miche. Having said that, I'd have to take my
toaster oven outside and roast them in that this time of year. I don't "do"
the oven when it's over 85F here. And it is.

TammyM, still it's a "dry heat" and a very mild summer ... so far

Approximately how many ounces of canned beets equals threemedium-sized beets? Chris Tsao General Cooking 26 03-09-2008 05:14 AM
Beets? G&G Recipes 9 22-06-2006 05:52 AM
Beets Sheldon General Cooking 0 05-11-2005 09:33 PM
Beets C. James Strutz Vegan 8 02-11-2005 04:42 PM
Beets Guy Kroger Preserving 4 08-09-2005 03:47 AM