Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Problem with Kitchenaid stand mixer

My wife has a Kitchenaid Professional 600 stand mixer that's worked
great for a few years. She's trying to make pizza dough, and all of
the sudden the dough hook keeps catching on the bottom of the bowl,
and then of course the motor makes a horrible screeching.

Anyone know what could be wrong?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:39:42 GMT:

> My wife has a Kitchenaid Professional 600 stand mixer that's
> worked great for a few years. She's trying to make pizza
> dough, and all of the sudden the dough hook keeps catching on
> the bottom of the bowl, and then of course the motor makes a
> horrible screeching.

> Anyone know what could be wrong?

There is a screw adjustment for mixer height and the locking nut may
have come loose.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 01:41:07p, James Silverton told us...

> wrote on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:39:42 GMT:
>
>> My wife has a Kitchenaid Professional 600 stand mixer that's
>> worked great for a few years. She's trying to make pizza
>> dough, and all of the sudden the dough hook keeps catching on
>> the bottom of the bowl, and then of course the motor makes a horrible
>> screeching.

>> Anyone know what could be wrong?

> There is a screw adjustment for mixer height and the locking nut may
> have come loose.

If the motor doesn't screech when there is no dough in the bowl, it's
probably not a height adjustment issue. All attachments are designed to
clear the bottom of the bowl when the bowl is empty. If there is clearance
when the bowl is empty, then it's a motor or gear problem, more likely the
latter. If I'm not mistaken, that model was made after the Whirlpool
buyout of KitchenAid. There were a lot of gear issues after that for quite
a while.

As an aside regarding attachment contact with the bowl, Julia Child always
recommended when beating egg whites with the whisk attachment, that the
whisk should not be affixed on the retaining pin on the shaft, but rather
to be placed on the shaft and then allowed to drop down to the bottom of
the bowl. It doesn't come off, but it does allow the whisk to come in
contact with every bit of egg white, especially when beating only 2-3 egg
whites. I've been doing that for years with no consequence.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:23:06 GMT:

>> wrote on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:39:42 GMT:
>>
>>> My wife has a Kitchenaid Professional 600 stand mixer that's
>>> worked great for a few years. She's trying to make pizza
>>> dough, and all of the sudden the dough hook keeps catching
>>> on the bottom of the bowl, and then of course the motor
>>> makes a horrible screeching.

>>> Anyone know what could be wrong?

>> There is a screw adjustment for mixer height and the locking
>> nut may have come loose.

> If the motor doesn't screech when there is no dough in the
> bowl, it's probably not a height adjustment issue. All
> attachments are designed to clear the bottom of the bowl when
> the bowl is empty. If there is clearance when the bowl is
> empty, then it's a motor or gear problem, more likely the
> latter. If I'm not mistaken, that model was made after the
> Whirlpool buyout of KitchenAid. There were a lot of gear
> issues after that for quite a while.

> As an aside regarding attachment contact with the bowl, Julia
> Child always recommended when beating egg whites with the
> whisk attachment, that the whisk should not be affixed on the
> retaining pin on the shaft, but rather to be placed on the
> shaft and then allowed to drop down to the bottom of the bowl.
> It doesn't come off, but it does allow the whisk to come in
> contact with every bit of egg white, especially when beating
> only 2-3 egg whites. I've been doing that for years with no
> consequence.

There are other possibilities as you suggest but my ancient Kitchenaid
has worked well for decades. About 15 years ago it became noisy and on
checking, I found the gears were rather dry. A fairly liberal
application of grease fixed the problem.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 02:38:31p, James Silverton told us...

> Wayne wrote on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:23:06 GMT:

>>> There is a screw adjustment for mixer height and the locking nut may
>>> have come loose.

>> If the motor doesn't screech when there is no dough in the
>> bowl, it's probably not a height adjustment issue. All
>> attachments are designed to clear the bottom of the bowl when
>> the bowl is empty. If there is clearance when the bowl is
>> empty, then it's a motor or gear problem, more likely the
>> latter. If I'm not mistaken, that model was made after the
>> Whirlpool buyout of KitchenAid. There were a lot of gear issues after
>> that for quite a while.

>> As an aside regarding attachment contact with the bowl, Julia
>> Child always recommended when beating egg whites with the
>> whisk attachment, that the whisk should not be affixed on the
>> retaining pin on the shaft, but rather to be placed on the
>> shaft and then allowed to drop down to the bottom of the bowl.
>> It doesn't come off, but it does allow the whisk to come in
>> contact with every bit of egg white, especially when beating
>> only 2-3 egg whites. I've been doing that for years with no
>> consequence.

> There are other possibilities as you suggest but my ancient Kitchenaid
> has worked well for decades. About 15 years ago it became noisy and on
> checking, I found the gears were rather dry. A fairly liberal
> application of grease fixed the problem.

Definitely, with enough age and use, the gears can go dry.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
'MEOW'... 'WOOF'... It's a two-litter
engine!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Definitely, with enough age and use, the gears can go dry.

Ever see that show How It's Made? I saw one where they
made Kitchenaid stand mixers. My word, the innards were just
*packed* with black grease. I had no idea.

I assume they can be refurbished.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 03:38:54p, Nancy Young told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Definitely, with enough age and use, the gears can go dry.

> Ever see that show How It's Made? I saw one where they
> made Kitchenaid stand mixers. My word, the innards were just
> *packed* with black grease. I had no idea.
>
> I assume they can be refurbished.
>
> nancy

Absolutely. In fact, if you're handy, you can repack the gearbox with new
grease yourself.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Never count your chickens before they
rip your lips off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:54:40 GMT:

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Definitely, with enough age and use, the gears can go dry.

>> Ever see that show How It's Made? I saw one where they
>> made Kitchenaid stand mixers. My word, the innards were just
>> *packed* with black grease. I had no idea.
>>
>> I assume they can be refurbished.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> Absolutely. In fact, if you're handy, you can repack the
> gearbox with new grease yourself.

As I mentioned, I did using a white grease 15 years ago. It was not very
difficult and the mixer has worked fine since.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Wayne wrote on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:54:40 GMT:

>>> Ever see that show How It's Made? I saw one where they
>>> made Kitchenaid stand mixers. My word, the innards were just
>>> *packed* with black grease. I had no idea.
>>>
>>> I assume they can be refurbished.

>> Absolutely. In fact, if you're handy, you can repack the
>> gearbox with new grease yourself.

> As I mentioned, I did using a white grease 15 years ago. It was not
> very difficult and the mixer has worked fine since.

Well, sure, anything runs great on bacon grease! Heh.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 04:28:12p, Nancy Young told us...

> James Silverton wrote:

>>> Absolutely. In fact, if you're handy, you can repack the gearbox
>>> with new grease yourself.

>> As I mentioned, I did using a white grease 15 years ago. It was not
>> very difficult and the mixer has worked fine since.

> Well, sure, anything runs great on bacon grease! Heh.
>
> nancy

Plus, you get to eat the bacon!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
CAT: Walking ego with fur.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 25 Jul 2008 04:28:12p, Nancy Young told us...
>
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> As I mentioned, I did using a white grease 15 years ago. It was not
>>> very difficult and the mixer has worked fine since.

>> Well, sure, anything runs great on bacon grease! Heh.

> Plus, you get to eat the bacon!

It's all good!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> As an aside regarding attachment contact with the bowl, Julia Child always
> recommended when beating egg whites with the whisk attachment, that the
> whisk should not be affixed on the retaining pin on the shaft, but rather
> to be placed on the shaft and then allowed to drop down to the bottom of
> the bowl. *It doesn't come off, but it does allow the whisk to come in
> contact with every bit of egg white, especially when beating only 2-3 egg
> whites. *I've been doing that for years with no consequence.

While the whites are beating, I just slightly (slightly!) lift the
bowl up and let the whisk catch everything in the depression in the
bottom, and around the sides. Works great - hasn't bent anything
yet. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:46:21 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>> As an aside regarding attachment contact with the bowl, Julia Child always
>> recommended when beating egg whites with the whisk attachment, that the
>> whisk should not be affixed on the retaining pin on the shaft, but rather
>> to be placed on the shaft and then allowed to drop down to the bottom of
>> the bowl. *It doesn't come off, but it does allow the whisk to come in
>> contact with every bit of egg white, especially when beating only 2-3 egg
>> whites. *I've been doing that for years with no consequence.
>>

>While the whites are beating, I just slightly (slightly!) lift the
>bowl up and let the whisk catch everything in the depression in the
>bottom, and around the sides. Works great - hasn't bent anything
>yet. ;-)

You could probably put a dishtowel under the bowl to fill the gap,
then you wouldn't have to hold it.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 29 Jul 2008 09:46:21a, Nancy2 told us...

>> As an aside regarding attachment contact with the bowl, Julia Child

alway
>> s recommended when beating egg whites with the whisk attachment, that

the
>> whisk should not be affixed on the retaining pin on the shaft, but

rather
>> to be placed on the shaft and then allowed to drop down to the bottom of
>> the bowl. *It doesn't come off, but it does allow the whisk to come in
>> contact with every bit of egg white, especially when beating only 2-3

egg
>> whites. *I've been doing that for years with no consequence.
>>

> While the whites are beating, I just slightly (slightly!) lift the
> bowl up and let the whisk catch everything in the depression in the
> bottom, and around the sides. Works great - hasn't bent anything
> yet. ;-)
>
> N.

Sure, that works, too.

--